Not for those with colorblindness

therealdokkstherealdokks Unsigned
edited September 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
I just want to know who the genius was that designed the note highway as green, knowing there are red notes.

For those with colorblindness, turning on Beatlemania makes it near impossible to see the red notes.

Not to mention the BLINDING headache that comes from the eye strain. Not very well thought out.

Comments

• folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited September 2009
    I haven't played the game yet, but I guess the usual suggestion would be to turn it off if it is optional. Might not be as 'fun' but don't hurt yourself. I'll have to see how a friend does, he's fairly colorblind.

I've been seeing more and more posts about the colors chosen. Guess one will get used to them, or have a hard time.
  • C-Pr0mptC-Pr0mpt Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    therealdokks;3018675 said:
    I just want to know who the genius was that designed the note highway as green, knowing there are red notes.

For those with colorblindness, turning on Beatlemania makes it near impossible to see the red notes.

Not to mention the BLINDING headache that comes from the eye strain. Not very well thought out.
    Then don't play the game. Have a nice day.
  • therealdokkstherealdokks Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    C-Pr0mpt;3018780 said:
    Then don't play the game. Have a nice day.
    Yep and anyone with any eye problems or color blindness should take the fanbois advice, don't buy or play the game. I'm sure that's what Harmonix would recommend.
  • bek_____2bek_____2 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    turn off the colours on your TV, it will make the whole game more "realistic" too
  • therealdokkstherealdokks Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Sure, I guess I should ask for the discounted black and white version too. Honestly, not a helpful suggestion.
  • ArchangelZeroArchangelZero Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    It's been green and red for a long, long time.

If you have colorblindness, I suggest turning down the color on your TV. Or rather, the safer suggestion, don't play the game.
  • JustEricJustEric Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I'm going to have to agree with the OP. RB1 and RB2 were absolutely no issue for me as a dichromat, but the charts in TB:RB are difficult to make out sometimes. Overdrive makes it even worse. =(

I'm really not sure what turning off color on the TV is supposed to accomplish, and I'm hard-pressed to even imagine what sort of thinking led some folks to even suggest that. "Oh, you're hard of hearing? Try setting your TV to mono." Err...what?! :confused: :rolleyes:

EDIT: I'm also interested in how the OP is getting eye strain related to his/her colorblindness. Colorblindness isn't like myopia/hyperopia where you can adjust the focus of your eyes to compensate for the deficiency in your vision, thus leading to eye strain as the muscles in the eye are pushed to/beyond their limits. There is no way to compensate for being colorblind, so I fail to see how one could strain the eyes when "trying" to see color (and, furthermore, how does one TRY to see color? It just sort of happens :)).
  • ArchangelZeroArchangelZero Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    He has red green colorblindness and the note highways are making problems for him.

Putting it in Black and white would be a possible, though not great, solution.
  • AthenaBastAthenaBast Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Isn't the red on the far left and the green on the far right?

That should be easy to remember.
    edited September 2009
    AthenaBast;3019104 said:
    Isn't the red on the far left and the green on the far right?

That should be easy to remember.
    Being colorblind myself, I've never relied on colors to know which notes to hit. I've always relied on position. The problem here isn't distinguishing one note from another; the problem is actually SEEING the notes.

Depending on the severity of colorblindness, the notes can "blend in" with the chart itself, making them virtually invisible.
  • ThePaskaThePaska Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    therealdokks;3018675 said:

I hadn't even noticed that, I guess I'm going to have to get used to that, being colorblind and all. I hope it doesn't cause me too much of a problem. Just got the game right now, haven't tried it yet. Can't wait!
  • grimface1987grimface1987 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I had no trouble seeing the notes in rock band 2, but playing this game when you're on bass and you put overdrive on its so hard to see the notes! big mistake there.
  • mazeltomtom19mazeltomtom19 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    bek_____2;3018840 said:
    turn off the colours on your TV, it will make the whole game more "realistic" too
    Yes, because life was in black and white until the 70's...:rolleyes:
    edited September 2009
    Oof...overdrive + guitar solo = what happened to my notes?! :eek:

HMX: MapQuest puts me 30 minutes from your offices. If you want some pro bono colorblindness testing, give me a ring. :p
  • SplyncSplync Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I'm colorblind and I also have problems when using Overdrive. The biggest problem I have isn't the red notes though, it's the bass. For me, the tone of the bass notes and the star power design are very similar, making it blend in slightly.

Hell I've been playing rhythm games since Guitar Hero 1 and have never had a problem like this before...

Not going to play in black and white or stop playing all together though. I love the game too much. I'm just going to continue playing as if everything was normal (even if it involves missing a note or two).
  • The_SpleenThe_Spleen Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    I've been talking about the same problems as the OP (minus the headaches) since I got the game on 9/8, it is my only knock on the game...I can't ever get 100% because there is always a time when I use my OD and miss a note because I don't "see" it. I never had these problems with RB1 or 2, and it isn't a matter of note location, some of the notes literally disappear whenever I activate Beatlemania.

Stupid red-green color blindness.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited September 2009
    JustEric;3019079 said:
    I'm really not sure what turning off color on the TV is supposed to accomplish, and I'm hard-pressed to even imagine what sort of thinking led some folks to even suggest that. "Oh, you're hard of hearing? Try setting your TV to mono." Err...what?! :confused: :rolleyes:
    Hmm. My first thought was that it would help a bit, since the notes would be a different shade of gray from the fretboard, but just looking at it in photoshop... the notes and the overdrive overlay are pretty much exactly the same lightness:

Color: http://www.gameguru.in/images/beatles-rock-band-ss-03.jpg
    Black and white: http://up.ppy.sh/files/bwbeatles.png

You can barely see the upcoming red note on the drum chart. (Flip between the two images and you can see it practically disappear). It does seem like they should have given it a bit more contrast.
  • The_SpleenThe_Spleen Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    LuigiHann;3019741 said:

You can barely see the upcoming red note on the drum chart.
    What red note?

All kidding aside that is EXTREMELY hard for me to see. And even that B&W version only helps a minute (mine-oot, for those unaware) amount, I still can't understand how HMX let something like this slip through, it is kind of a big thing.

Didn't anybody on QA notice the contrasting problems? Not to mention most men have at least some small amount of colorblindness (although most are not as affected as a person with red-green, or other kinds).