Amazed

kevjmartinezkevjmartinez Opening Act
edited September 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
I want to start by saying I've never really listened to The Beatles. Of course it's impossible to completely ignore their music, but I only heard maybe 15 songs by the band up until today, so this game was not only an extension of my favorite video game franchise, but also an entirely new experience for me in many ways.

First off, I am now officially going to college with a major in music. I've played the piano since I was a wee lad, played in orchestras with flute and piano, and always had a passion for it, but never really "took off" with it. Harmonix changed that for me and I can't be thankful enough with how awesome they are. Since The Beatles is arguably the most influential band of all time and I love to broaden my musical horizons, I was stoked for this game. After studying music theory for hours today, I finally was able to go down and pick the game up and start playing. Well, I didn't put the game down until I completed every song in one sitting, then proceeded to finish all of the challenges, then watch the videos, then read all of the photo captions. ....Amazing. I'm ashamed for not paying enough attention to The Beatles earlier, but in way, it was the perfect time for me to listen to them. I'm overall more aware of music now after studying it so much lately, and can appreciate it that much more, especially hearing the majority of these songs for the first time.

I just wanted to thank Harmonix for another gem, and after watching those epic credits, I can tell a lot of blood, sweat, and maybe even some bloody sweat went into making this game. It's a great game and a beautiful work on its own, and if I didn't have more classes tomorrow, I'd still be playing it instead of writing this before I pass out. :) Everything from the photo facts to the attention to detail to the overall beauty and amazing feel I get from simply playing the game is a very rare find, and I'm still amazed Harmonix got the permission to even touch these songs!

So long story short, I have FINALLY been touched by The Beatles music, and once again, I thank Harmonix for not only entertaining me, but inspiring me and influencing my path in life.

Comments

• JohnnygoWalkerJohnnygoWalker Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Same with me. I knew of several of the hits by the Beatles, but other than that I was in no way a fan. Yet I was more excited about getting this game than I was when RB2 came out. Despite not being a huge fan of the Beatles, I knew this game would be amazing, and I just had to have it. I'm not disappointed in the game at all, in fact I have a much greater respect for the Beatles, and their music.
  • vcalzonevcalzone Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    I've gotta say, even though they worked hard, if there was more than 1-2 minor incidents of incidental blood loss during the work for this game, it would be worrisome. They're computer programmers, for Christ's sake!
  • ZorbaruZorbaru Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    yoko was involved, there would have been blood.
  • leebuchananleebuchanan Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    You should watch the The Beatles Anthology. I own it, and after playing TB:RB for hours, I cued it up and watched the first couple of hours. It's a helluva story about the lads and the time in which they lived.
  • YTheMadHatterYYTheMadHatterY Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I, for one, was a little disappointed by the ending of the game. I thought it was just too happy! Here we are, following the Beatles through their musical lives, and it has a happy ending? I don't think so. It made no mention of the band basically ripping itself up from the inside. The photo captions did seem a little better-sweet when talking about the last concert or last public show, but it made no mention of the fighting and eventual splitting of the band. Not to mention the death of John and George, which when making a game based on the Beatles would seem to be important in the conclusion.
    I can understand wanting to end on a triumphant note as the animation for The End showed, but I think I was expecting something else.
  • SilverHammerOn.SilverHammerOn. Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I think they wanted the Spirit of the beatles to be a happy one, it's a game, where you have fun and will play at parties. You don't want a really depressing ending.
  • ScottWARScottWAR Banned
    edited September 2009
    YEAH,....who wants reality?
  • skysawskysaw Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Hey Kev,

Better late than never! I have been a hardcore fan since I was five years old (1969!)

Make sure you get the album downloads as they become available in the next month. There are TONS of classics still to hear!
  • edited September 2009
    Zorbaru;3020628 said:
    yoko was involved, there would have been blood.
    Nope she was all hugs. I'm serious. One of the nicest people we've had the pleasure of working with.
  • Minots59Minots59 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    YTheMadHatterY;3020655 said:
    I, for one, was a little disappointed by the ending of the game. I thought it was just too happy! Here we are, following the Beatles through their musical lives, and it has a happy ending? I don't think so. It made no mention of the band basically ripping itself up from the inside. The photo captions did seem a little better-sweet when talking about the last concert or last public show, but it made no mention of the fighting and eventual splitting of the band. Not to mention the death of John and George, which when making a game based on the Beatles would seem to be important in the conclusion.
    I can understand wanting to end on a triumphant note as the animation for The End showed, but I think I was expecting something else.
    I think of the ending more as a "what The Beatles music has achieved in our lives" rather than an ending to the actual band. Their idea was to spread peace and love, which is exactly what the Rhino Elephant thingy is doing. It never stops and will always keep on truckin' much like the Beatles music.
  • YTheMadHatterYYTheMadHatterY Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Allow me to expound on my previous post:

Overall, and I will say this time and again to anybody who will listen, the game was outstanding. In nearly every respect it was a testament to the dedication of the staff who assembled it as well as to the Beatles themselves.

About half way through the game I started to get that feeling I might be in for some heartache. I was having a blast playing as the Beatles, but it him me during the studio stages that it was all going to come to an end. I knew that tension was mounting and their friendship was becoming strained as their career progressed and I was expecting the game to reflect that. According to some critics, you can actually hear the band falling apart on their later albums through their music alone.
    When I got to the final set, I was expecting something along the lines of a synopsis of what happened afterward. John, and later Paul quit the band. There were legal battles (I don't blame them for leaving that out of the game) and in 1980 John was killed. George died in 2001 after fighting cancer for nigh 5 years. It's not a happy ending, but it is how it really ended.
    I like the above-mentioned idea that the included ending is a reflection of their music as opposed to the band itself, and in that regard it makes sense. However, it felt incomplete and abrupt to end that way. Through the photos and film clips, I became attached to the band as well as their music. Omitting the conclusion to the band made it feel a bit empty.
    I think I've summed this up as best as I'm able. As always, that's just my opinion and I could be wrong.
  • Wicked Pi$$ahWicked Pi$$ah Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I just wanted to add that I thought the game was nicely done. Graphics, colors, venues, song selections... It's all good and I can't wait for the DLC!

IMO, this game is way better than the cheesy GH band games... Aerosmith, Metallica, etc. where they use the same crappy graphics and the characters in their games just look awful. In TB:RB, the characters look good and the graphics are amazing.

You'd think that over time, GH would use some of the money they've been making to improve the look and feel of their games, but it's the same ol' crap with each release. Just a new name and new songs.

I guess you really can't polish a turd. :p

Anyway, keep up the good work HMX... The Beatles game looks amazing and it was fun to play. If you ever do more band games in the future, I hope that they will be just as good as this one!
  • KuniMitsooKuniMitsoo Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    just wait until A Day in the Life comes out in November....

that has been my favorite song since i was a kid, even tho im only 34 my cousin burned that song into my skull at an early age :)

i so cannot wait to see what they come up with for the visual goodies for that song :)
  • Kellwolf9EKellwolf9E Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I kinda like how it ended. Here's why: those of us that know the story know what happened to all four in the end. Those that don't will be more likely to say "I want to know more!" and go find out the details. I never really listened to George or Ringo's solo stuff, but I've been listening to some of it lately, and I really LIKE some of it. I figured I'd be put off by Ringo's stuff, but it's good, too.

The real downside is the drain this is gonna have on my bank account as I get the re-masters, Anthology and that killer Box of Visions to keep the CDs in.