Obvious Hofner Problem

YTheMadHatterYYTheMadHatterY Unsigned
edited September 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but here it is:
I bought the LE kit, assembled everything and then began playing. Now, I was not using the Hofner at the time because I also picked up the Rickenbacker, which I love. The Hofner is for my girlfriend who plays Bass, so it works out quite well. She comes home later in the evening and looks at the Hofner and falls in love. It's a great looking piece of equipment. Then we start playing...
My girlfriend is left-handed, so the fact that she is playing that guitar just like Paul makes me smile. It wasn't until the third time she hit the PS button that I noticed that they put it on, for her, the top of the guitar. Was that really necessary? The location is exactly where she rests her wrist, so it's going to be a pain for her to re-learn her playing style.

To sum it up, the PS button is in a poor location considering that it is based on a left-handed player's guitar. Like many other things, it is just not built for lefties.

Comments

• mazeltomtom19mazeltomtom19 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    That stinks, dude. I don't think HMX was trying to screw lefties over like that, but I think they were just trying to please the majority in handedness. If I were you, I'd just switch guitars with her. I mean it'll make no sense, but she'll be able to play without the XMB popping up. Plus, she is your girlfriend... shouldn't she take priority anyways? :p
  • YTheMadHatterYYTheMadHatterY Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Like I said, the equipment works flawlessly and is just wonderful in all other respects. I just found the location of the button on the Hofner to be a tad ironic. In no way do I think Hamonix is out to get the lefties of the world. I just found it amusing that the guitar made famous by the left-handed Paul was more difficult to use for left-handed players. Especially so considering that the whammy bar is above the strum bar (this problem has been the same with ALL rock band controllers, however). This is just what I have been told, mind you. I use my right hand like nature intended.
    As fas as trading guitars, probably not. Like I said, my girl has played bass since Rock Band 2 and she was really excited to finally get a "real" bass controller. She likes the longer neck and the general feel of the Hofner. Just as I like the wider body of the Rickenbacker.

On a side note, the authentic trophy of getting 50% note hits as a left-handed bass player was a no-brainer :)
  • FeelmirathFeelmirath Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Isn't there a firmware upgrade that makes you hold the button to bring up the menu now?
  • justintimeROAjustintimeROA Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Feelmirath;3021424 said:
    Isn't there a firmware upgrade that makes you hold the button to bring up the menu now?
    That's for the start button, not the PS button. At least that is my understanding.

My girlfriend also plays left handed and I sometimes have the same issue with my GHWT guitar. Her wrist hits the PS button and brings up the XMB in the middle of the song.
  • Minots59Minots59 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    justintimeROA;3021444 said:
    That's for the start button, not the PS button. At least that is my understanding.

My girlfriend also plays left handed and I sometimes have the same issue with my GHWT guitar. Her wrist hits the PS button and brings up the XMB in the middle of the song.
    I'm pretty sure it's for the Guide button also. At least it is on my 360 Gretsch.
  • jwliddelljwliddell Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Is that true? I can't access my xbox menu with the green xbox button. I can only hold it down and turn it off - this makes accepting game invites incredibly tough. Am I not using my guitar correctly? I thought i was having a sync problem at first, but my xbox button is just not working. Please help!
  • justintimeROAjustintimeROA Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Minots59;3021452 said:
    I'm pretty sure it's for the Guide button also. At least it is on my 360 Gretsch.
    Well I don't have any of The Beatles instruments yet so the OP will have to see if he has to hold the PS button to bring up the XMB. If thats the case, your girlfriend just needs to try and not push it down for a long period of time.
  • jwliddelljwliddell Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    ps, my drums do the same thing
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    jwliddell;3021472 said:
    Is that true? I can't access my xbox menu with the green xbox button. I can only hold it down and turn it off - this makes accepting game invites incredibly tough. Am I not using my guitar correctly? I thought i was having a sync problem at first, but my xbox button is just not working. Please help!
    Try holding it down for just a second or so and letting go. I thought at first this was broken or that you really had to press it hard, but it turns out it's just a slight delay mechanism to prevent people from triggering it unintentionally. I haven't tested the drums but I would assume that they also (thankfully) have this feature.
  • mazeltomtom19mazeltomtom19 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    YTheMadHatterY;3021066 said:
    Like I said, the equipment works flawlessly and is just wonderful in all other respects. I just found the location of the button on the Hofner to be a tad ironic. In no way do I think Hamonix is out to get the lefties of the world. I just found it amusing that the guitar made famous by the left-handed Paul was more difficult to use for left-handed players. Especially so considering that the whammy bar is above the strum bar (this problem has been the same with ALL rock band controllers, however). This is just what I have been told, mind you. I use my right hand like nature intended.
    As fas as trading guitars, probably not. Like I said, my girl has played bass since Rock Band 2 and she was really excited to finally get a "real" bass controller. She likes the longer neck and the general feel of the Hofner. Just as I like the wider body of the Rickenbacker.

On a side note, the authentic trophy of getting 50% note hits as a left-handed bass player was a no-brainer :)
    I got it. Irony at it's best, no?

Can't say I didn't try to help, but best to you and yours. I would want to play bass on the Hofner too...