3 singers online?

IzemannIzemann Opening Act
edited September 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
Is there a way to host a band quickplay and lets say I'm playing as the vocalist, can I invite another singer to play with me?

Comments

• ArothmanMusicArothmanMusic Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    As far as I understand it, you can't sing with other people over the 'net... only in the same room. I imagine this is because a) harmonizing with people you can't hear is really difficult and b) the network latency between your console and theirs would make it really tough to keep sync... you'd be singing and they'd be hearing it a few seconds later.
  • IzemannIzemann Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    ArothmanMusic;3021569 said:
    As far as I understand it, you can't sing with other people over the 'net... only in the same room. I imagine this is because a) harmonizing with people you can't hear is really difficult and b) the network latency between your console and theirs would make it really tough to keep sync... you'd be singing and they'd be hearing it a few seconds later.
    That seriosly is ver bad! GH5 has it so you can have 4 singers online. Why can't rock band beatles have it? I mean it has it in local but what about online???
  • ParodygmParodygm Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I am extremely bummed about this. I was looking forward to doing voxtar/voxbass online singing harmony parts for other people's bands.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited September 2009
    I wish they would have figured out a way to make it work online, since I rarely have people over to play with, and they aren't good enough at vocals to help me get those couple of achievements that require hitting the harmonies in every song.
  • BustaUppaBustaUppa Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    You can do multiple mics locally because they are all signed to one controller. There's no real way to replicate that online since each Xbox would need a controller signed in as a vocalist.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited September 2009
    Izemann;3021578 said:
    That seriosly is ver bad! GH5 has it so you can have 4 singers online. Why can't rock band beatles have it? I mean it has it in local but what about online???
    Because the three singers are bound to ONE controller.
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited September 2009
    Izemann;3021578 said:
    Um... Four singers playing the same part being silenced online is one thing. Three people harmonizing (Harmonizing is hard when there's no real life voice to harmonize with) is another.
  • elfreakoelfreako Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    SonicRocker15X;3021981 said:
    Um... Four singers playing the same part being silenced online is one thing. Three people harmonizing (Harmonizing is hard when there's no real life voice to harmonize with) is another.
    Harmonizing is hard as hell even with a real life voice to harmonize with :)
  • imadorkimadork Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I know nothing about GH5, but when you play with 4 singers, could there also be a drummer, guitarist, and bassist playing? Or is it any combination of instruments as long as there's no more than 4 players?

Would the reason why TBRB has the three vocal parts tied to one controller be an issue with console differences? I know the PS3 accomodates up to 7 controllers, so it was a surprise to me that they linked them, but I realized the Wii only connects up to 4. What about the 360?
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited September 2009
    imadork;3022196 said:
    I know nothing about GH5, but when you play with 4 singers, could there also be a drummer, guitarist, and bassist playing? Or is it any combination of instruments as long as there's no more than 4 players?

Would the reason why TBRB has the three vocal parts tied to one controller be an issue with console differences? I know the PS3 accomodates up to 7 controllers, so it was a surprise to me that they linked them, but I realized the Wii only connects up to 4. What about the 360?
    Any combination so long as there's no more than 4 players, and the 360 only allows four controllers at once.
  • MinimaulMinimaul Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Think of it this way; they don't do the 3 different singers because the way it's set up would be like having 3 different people playing different parts on the same drum set in different locations.

GH5 is just separate people on separate systems running the same track. so it's easy to have multiple people doing it because it's set up that way. you can have 4 singers just the same as you can have 4 separate instruments (full normal band). but when the vocals are all on the same track and tied into "1" instrument it's not possible. Well, maybe it is possible but I'm guessing that it's not easy to do, would cause lag across the network.
  • karmalordkarmalord Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    So doing a 3 part harmony could happen online if the three that were singin were all on the same console and the other player was online playing an instrument only.
  • AldexAldex Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    The technical issues make a ton of sense and I think if it were easy, it would have been in the game. That said, Vox score dueling works, and works well. You may not be able to hear the other person harmonizing, but if two-way dueling is technically possible, three-way dueling (trueling?) would be the same as online harmonizing, don't you think?

And even if there is a four part instrument and controller limitation, if all you wanted to do was sing with two other people, that's three controllers.
  • beingmusedbeingmused Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Aldex;3026311 said:
    The technical issues make a ton of sense and I think if it were easy, it would have been in the game. That said, Vox score dueling works, and works well. You may not be able to hear the other person harmonizing, but if two-way dueling is technically possible, three-way dueling (trueling?) would be the same as online harmonizing, don't you think?

And even if there is a four part instrument and controller limitation, if all you wanted to do was sing with two other people, that's three controllers.
    Dueling is easy. Harmonizing is impossible, because all 3 players can sing all 3 lines. That means that each system would have to keep track of all 3 singer's progress in the phrase INSTANTANEOUSLY and be able to switch back and forth seamlessly. Even standard network latency times would prevent that from working. The only way 3 singers online could have worked is if they made it so singers had set roles, and could only sing their own assigned part.
  • ShubornoShuborno Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    imadork;3022196 said:
    I'm sure that's it.

360 is limited to 4.
  • MaxRenn82MaxRenn82 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I still think you should be allowed to pick WHICH part you want and sing just that. It'd be nice for the people who don't have friends who will sing Beatles with them. It's a cool idea and I guess it brings people together, but not all are that fortunate to have 2 friends who can/or will sing with you.

I have a hard time believing that it's latency issues. Look at the games we can play online and then tell me that it can't send voice fast enough. It just doesn't make sense.

Still loving the game, but I must admit I was disappointed by no online harmonies. Maybe HMX can patch it sometime.
  • niphtyniphty Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    beingmused;3026548 said:
    Even standard network latency times would prevent that from working. The only way 3 singers online could have worked is if they made it so singers had set roles, and could only sing their own assigned part.
    MaxRenn82;3026771 said:
    I still think you should be allowed to pick WHICH part you want and sing just that. It'd be nice for the people who don't have friends who will sing Beatles with them. It's a cool idea and I guess it brings people together, but not all are that fortunate to have 2 friends who can/or will sing with you.

I have a hard time believing that it's latency issues.
    First, Max, have you never had someone with an open mic singing in the middle of an RB2 track while playing online? It's lagged by nearly 2 full seconds off of your game, making it REALLY hard to play with them singing it over an open mic. This is the latency issue spoken of.

I do agree with you both though, that I would've LOVED to see the vocal parts pulled apart and able to be picked by different people. Of course, i would've liked it had they named who's doing what part, as well.. as it'd be hella awesome to actually be able to play and sing as JUST Paul, or George. But you'll have to read my post elsewhere about that.
    jJst suffice to say it can't be done as they've developed it, and you'll just have to post a note in your neighborhood saying you're interviewing talented singers to be your friends! =D
  • MaxRenn82MaxRenn82 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, I know what you mean about it being laggy in that situation. I just thought if it kept up with each individual score it wouldn't matter. I mean, you wouldn't HEAR the other 2 people, just yourself and the actual track playing. It might even be easier to harmonize like this anyway if your friend can't sing. hehe

Maybe it was the Beatles idea to make it local only, you know... to bring people together. :cool:

With all that said, I'm not trying to be whiny. Just wishing for one more feature that would have made the game even cooler than it already is. Hope this doesn't discourage anyone from getting it. It's still a blast to play. I got chills up my spine while playing it the first time. :)
  • HMXForrestHMXForrest Harmonix Developer
    edited September 2009
    Izemann;3021550 said:
    Is there a way to host a band quickplay and lets say I'm playing as the vocalist, can I invite another singer to play with me?
    This is not something you can do in TB:RB. You can play online with vocal harmony, but all singers have to be on the same machine.
  • AldexAldex Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    beingmused;3026548 said:
    Dueling is easy. Harmonizing is impossible, because all 3 players can sing all 3 lines. That means that each system would have to keep track of all 3 singer's progress in the phrase INSTANTANEOUSLY and be able to switch back and forth seamlessly. Even standard network latency times would prevent that from working. The only way 3 singers online could have worked is if they made it so singers had set roles, and could only sing their own assigned part.
    Yes, locking into a set role (lead melody, first harmony, second harmony) is what I was envisioning. And it's an acceptable tradeoff to me to get online play. After all, guitarists have to lock into bass or guitar at the start of the song and can't change midstream.
  • striderblackstriderblack Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    karmalord;3025923 said:
    So doing a 3 part harmony could happen online if the three that were singin were all on the same console and the other player was online playing an instrument only.
    Yes - but don't be confused - vocals still only counts as one instrument where you can have 1-3 people singing. So technically you can have 3 people in a room playing vocals online with 3 other people playing their respective instruments in different locations. That's the only way to replicate the full 6-person setup.
  • BustaUppaBustaUppa Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Aldex;3027429 said:
    Yes, locking into a set role (lead melody, first harmony, second harmony) is what I was envisioning. And it's an acceptable tradeoff to me to get online play. After all, guitarists have to lock into bass or guitar at the start of the song and can't change midstream.
    After a song you can press a button (back/select I think) to get a detailed vocal breakdown, and for each mic it actually shows how much of each vocal track was sung. So you can try to stick with a single vocal role, then check the detailed vocal breakdown after the song to see how well you did! This is almost like the "locking into a set role" that you spoke of (you just have to use the honor system and it won't affect scoring), unless I misunderstood what you meant!
  • AldexAldex Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    BustaUppa;3027696 said:
    After a song you can press a button (back/select I think) to get a detailed vocal breakdown, and for each mic it actually shows how much of each vocal track was sung. So you can try to stick with a single vocal role, then check the detailed vocal breakdown after the song to see how well you did! This is almost like the "locking into a set role" that you spoke of (you just have to use the honor system and it won't affect scoring), unless I misunderstood what you meant!
    Yep, I've used that feature; it would be more interesting if, again, three people were cooperating. My rambling is just an uninformed brainstorm on how we might be able to get online harmony by using the dueling system...by adding another voice and controller. Ultimately, only a HMX developer knows whether this can be done or not.