POLL: The Rickenbacker or The Gretsch

RoofTopRookieRoofTopRookie Opening Act
edited September 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
after using the Hoffner, it is clear to me that these new Beatles Guitars are better than the RB2 Strat that I have.

The Hoffner just FEELS better, and plays a whole lot quieter than the Strat.

That being said, I have decided to pick up either The Rickenbacker or The Gretsch now, and the one I dont pick up, at a later date (possibly XMas)

John's my favorite Beatle, and George is my second favorite.

I'd love to see which you guys would pick, if you could only pick one for now?

Thanks,
Eric

Comments

• ElvisChapelGuyElvisChapelGuy Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I like the look of the Gretsch more. But, the Ricky feels better to play for me.
  • SkeleshredderSkeleshredder Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I got the Gretsch, but I've always loved the design of the Duo Jet. I'd recommend trying both guitars out if you can find a place that has them with the demo, or if you know anyone who has one or the other, so you can see firsthand which one feels most comfortable.

Adding in my personal bias, I love my Gretsch. :D I recommend it wholeheartedly.
  • ParodygmParodygm Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Ack, I accidentally voted wrongly. I'd take the Gretsch, no contest.
  • JBaczanskiJBaczanski Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Gretsch for sure. They both perform great, but the Gretsch is nicer to look at.
  • varsasvarsas Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I definitely prefer the look of the Gretsch...that's why I bought that one :D
  • BevoTheWarriorBevoTheWarrior Cow Patty
    edited September 2009
    I love the Gretsch. That was the only guitar I was truly interested in when the new instruments were announced and it's the first RB guitar controller that I've actually felt comfortable playing (until now I was still using my GH3 Les Paul).

On a side note, as I was out hunting for my Gretsch, I never saw any of the Rickenbakers. I went to three different stores and when I finally found a place who had them, they had 2 of the Gretsch guitars and no Rickenbakers. I'd imagine there are a lot of people who are buying that one just because it's John Lennon's guitar... not that there's anything wrong with that. :)
  • xplosivexplosive Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Does anyone know if the Rickenbacker or the Gretsch are smaller than the Hofner bass because while I love the bass the length of the neck might be a little too long for me.
  • argee1948argee1948 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Rickenbacker...just because of itsr eal life unique sound especially the 12 string ala Roger McGuinn. The Rick is almost the sound of the 60's with its chimes sound picks ala If I needed Someone. All three of the Beatle guitar players used a Rick at one point or another.
  • argee1948argee1948 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    The neck of the Rick is a lot shorter. The Hofner sure does have along neck.
  • ScopitoneScopitone Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Bought the Gretsch for my girlfriend and I'm slightly jealous.
  • ApplemanAppleman Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Anybody know of a place that carries either guitar for PS3 in the Toronto area? Local EB only has X360.
  • sonicnerd23sonicnerd23 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    As I said before, the Gretsch is the closest we'll ever get to having our own Gibson Les Paul controller, so I love that one.
  • karaokefreakkaraokefreak Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I love my Gretsch, but the rickenbackr is a fine Guitar as well.

I attached a photo that shows you the differences in size. Gretsch Duo Jet is somewhat longer than the strat, but still shorter than the höfner bass
    759 x 575 - 46K
  • RoofTopRookieRoofTopRookie Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    karaokefreak;3023403 said:
    I love my Gretsch, but the rickenbackr is a fine Guitar as well.

I attached a photo that shows you the differences in size. Gretsch Duo Jet is somewhat longer than the strat, but still shorter than the höfner bass

thank you for posting that pic, it puts it into perspective.

i wound up picking up the Gretch. As i was looking over the boxes
    for both guitars, i noticed that the Gretch box is a good 2-3 inches
    longer than the Rick box. now i know why, im guessing that the
    Rick is more or less the same length as the Strat
  • KaYotiXKaYotiX Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    i bought the Gretch, its beautiful!!!!
  • Shugo TakahashiShugo Takahashi Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    FFFF- I can't decide. Everyone is SAYING the Gretsch is better, but I like the Rickenbacker's general shape better. I guess what it really comes down to is neck length...any chance anybody here has both and can compare both?
  • DerTommissarDerTommissar Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Go with the Rickenbacker.

Do it for Captain Eddie.
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited September 2009
    Either or as both are awesome. I voted Gretsch though - it looks the best of any game peripheral ive ever seen though none the less pictures make it look better than it actually does in person :p
  • TVRobotTVRobot Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Gretsch for the win!!!!111!!
  • PaperMario21PaperMario21 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    sucks that there are no ES-335's and VS J-200's available for rock band, they would look sick!
    ps.they would be huge so I can understand why they weren't chosen.
  • HeadHunter67HeadHunter67 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    The Gretsch is beautiful and it's my all-time favorite controller.
  • Zerobox94Zerobox94 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Personally, I Love the Gretsch. I got it and it feels great compared to other rock band controllers. I also would love to have the Rickenbacker, since John is my favorite Beatle. But its up to you to decide which one you want.
  • tannyjtannyj Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Definitely the Gretsch...simply beautiful...it's so easy to glide your fingers between the frets...I also like that it's bigger than the traditional fender...

However, am I the only one who dislikes the sharp edges around the body? I rest my arm/wrist on the edge when I play and it becomes quite uncomfortable after a while. I'm going to have to get some cushioning or something...

-TJ
  • HeadHunter67HeadHunter67 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, the Strat has a contour in that area, whereas other controllers don't.

I'm wondering if I'll have to resort to long sleeves.