"This song is awesome I didn't know the Beatles sang this"

adorazadoraz Opening Act
edited September 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
Who has heard this quote constantly (or something very similar) the past few days while playing TBRB with friends?

Every single person who has played with me since yesterday has basically said this. I'm on a college campus, and most people here know a little about them but this game is turning them into fans.

This game is giving The Beatles some MUCH NEEDED respect in a world filled with modern (mostly garbage) music.

Comments

• bobellis75bobellis75 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    my wife just had a surgery and was laying on the couch while I was playing...there were a few songs (with Ringo on vocals) that she was like "I didn't know they sang that - Ringo threw me off!"
  • bpc908bpc908 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    about up until 5 years ago I thought the Rolling Stones sang Birthday
  • OakTeaOakTea Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    The Beatles did a lot more than sing the songs in this game. :p
  • miethamietha Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I wouldn't say any of the songs were awesome, but there were 2 or 3 songs that I knew that I did not know were the beatles. I was not, and still am not, a beatles fan, but I did find the game more enjoyable than expected. One completely surprising result though was that I had a little more respect for the GH: whoever games. Playing 40-whatever songs by one band in half a day did get REAL old. That said, I would still love for them to become exportable at some point. I can't believe that Sony ATV or Apple Corps or who the hell ever doesn't want even MORE money...
  • miethamietha Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    meanmtrmustard27;3024528 said:
    They just keep reinventing themselves generation after generation.
    Um, first off they only came out a generation and a half ago. Secondly, it's kind of hard for them to reinvent themselves when half of them are dead...
  • AthenaBastAthenaBast Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I never knew Birthday was The Beatles.

I thought A Little Help From My Friends was off a Ringo solo album. Actually, with the exception of "Something" and "Yellow Submarine" I thought any song that wasn't sung by either Paul or John was a Beatles solo project.

I never knew the title of the "Christ, you know it ain't easy" song was The Ballad of John and Yoko. Which I then thought before hearing it was some sappy little song off of one of John's solo albums.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    I have a feeling I'll be hearing this a lot when I play with a friend.
  • xplosivexplosive Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I didn't know Do You Want to Know a Secret and Dig a Pony were Beatle songs before playing this game.
  • HeadHunter67HeadHunter67 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    adoraz;3024387 said:
    This game is giving The Beatles some MUCH NEEDED respect in a world filled with modern (mostly garbage) music.
    Indeed. Most of my coworkers are either non-gamers, non-Beatles fans, or both. But this game has caught their attention, they know about it and it's coming out how interested most of them really are becoming in the Beatles. It helps that we hear a lot of it all day - Starbucks is selling some of the remasters, and as usual, we play tracks from the artists we are selling. And even the younger people I work with like some of the songs, even if they lack the obsessive familiarity I have with the band.

Despite being one day younger than Sergeant Pepper himself, I'm not the oldest one there, and the one guy who's 11 years older than me actually remembers seeing them on Ed Sullivan.

As for my gaming friends? Even the ones who aren't Beatles fans have expressed interest in joining me to play.
  • HeadHunter67HeadHunter67 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    mietha;3025520 said:
    Um, first off they only came out a generation and a half ago.
    Incorrect. Chances are, your grandparents were teenagers when The Beatles came out. That's at least two generations. But you may know people halfway older or younger than that, as well. So I'd say his statement was accurate.
    Secondly, it's kind of hard for them to reinvent themselves when half of them are dead...
    That hasn't stopped it from happening. Two new songs after Lennon's death and a Vegas show inspired by them that's currently running.

Did you ever pause to consider that the game we are talking about is concrete PROOF that the Beatles continue to reinvent themselves? If it weren't for George's son Dhani, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
  • theINCtheINC Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Birthday and Boys were both songs I'd remembered but didn't know were by the Beatles.

I was talking to someone about this game today and they didn't know that Yellow Submarine, Octopus's Garden, or even Can't Buy Me Love (!?!?!?!) were by the Beatles!
  • vertrothevertrothe Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    It's true - so many songs out there that people hear and then go "THAT'S the Beatles?" Sometimes I (and others like me) get so caught up in our Beatles fandom that we forget about the people who haven't bought every album (in at least 3 formats now) and are now getting to experience them. The only thing more fun than going through and enjoying the Beatles songs (from the 'inside' for a change!) is getting to share that with someone who didn't have as deep an appreciation for them before.

This is awesome!
  • GryffindorGryffindor Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't know that Something was by the Beatles until I heard it in the game.
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    adoraz;3024387 said:
    Who has heard this quote constantly (or something very similar) the past few days while playing TBRB with friends?

Every single person who has played with me since yesterday has basically said this. I'm on a college campus, and most people here know a little about them but this game is turning them into fans.

While the topic is useful, this is a completely uninformed statement.
    theINC;3025615 said:
    Birthday and Boys were both songs I'd remembered but didn't know were by the Beatles.

I was talking to someone about this game today and they didn't know that Yellow Submarine, Octopus's Garden, or even Can't Buy Me Love (!?!?!?!) were by the Beatles!
    Boys is a cover, but whatever...
  • WhizKidRavenWhizKidRaven Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    Mine was more like "I didn't know George sang this" b/c his voice just sounds like a good blend of John's and Paul's. I just figured they were singing in Unison (which they are wont to doing in those days)
  • mtf612mtf612 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    ****twist and shout always gets them*****
  • NamevahNamevah Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I said that a few times when I first started listening to Abbey Road. As far as the game goes, I had that with "Hello, Goodbye," but probably because I associate it more with Target than any band.
  • BigJAG2004BigJAG2004 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    My brother didn't know that Twist and Shout was by The Beatles.

I knew that since I was like 6, and he's 16.
  • mobhit101mobhit101 Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    I didn't realize "Don't Let Me Down" was the Beatles until I starting looking more into their songs back when the game was first announced.

Easily one of my favorites now. Pretty much everything that was performed on the rooftop and all of Abbey Road I <3 :D
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited September 2009
    BigJAG2004;3025730 said:
    My brother didn't know that Twist and Shout was by The Beatles.

I knew that since I was like 6, and he's 16.
    To be fair, the Beatles version is a cover, and a version by the Isley Brothers (also a cover) was about equally famous.
  • Libertad87Libertad87 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Rich T.;3024504 said:
    I hear this all the time at work:

"I don't like the Beatles. Oh, except for that song....and that one...and that one..."
    That's the one I got from a friend who insisted that he hated the Beatles and now he's the next Ringo Starr on drums
  • TowerrTowerr Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    This thread is making me smile..I was born in 72 and my aunt turned me onto The Fab Four with a compilation album,and ive been hooked since..Even turned into a collector of sorts (got a bunch of stuff about them from 64 along with most LP's).But im happy to see that so many other people are liking or growing to like the band.Oh and btw,if Paul continues to tour,I HIGHLY recommend going to see him.Ive seen him twice and when he does some of the Beatle songs,it basically brings the house down and the crowd to its feet in most cases

And yeah a poster above mentioned that Boys was a cover,what alot of people dont realize im sure is,back in the Hamburg days while they were playing as a backup band,and even in the CavernClub,quite a few songs were infact covers.I believe it wasnt until Hard Days Night that every song on an album,was written by the Lennon/McCartney team,

Anyway I am really enjoying this game,the play is pretty solid,the Rickenbacker 385 I got responds very well,and the animations are AWESOME..Ive seen the concerts at Shea Stadium and the Budokan and some Cavern Club performances,and these are pretty darn close to what it was.How about the trippy tracks off Sgt Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour..I was having a hard time concentrating on playing as I just wanted to watch the movie in the background lol

Harmonix,I love you guys for bringing this to the general public to enjoy,and I thank the surviving Beatles,and the spouses/kids of the deceased ones for agreeing to this project and putting forth the time and effort in making a wonderful game,and a journey for alot of people to a time when Rock n Roll was just that!
  • Greebo_T_CatGreebo_T_Cat Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Semi Related:
    On the 8th we did a 'fab' heavy show, and out of the 3 hour show 2hrs 10 were Beatles, Solo Beatles, and Covers (*grumble grumble* stupid DMCA rules... *grumble*), focusing as much as possible on songs in the game.

Kicked off the show with a storming cover of Helter Skelter by Dana Fuchs. Raw, loud, with Joplin-like vocals, for those that don't know it.

One of the listeners in the station chatroom knowingly stated 'Oh I love this song. It was originally by U2.'

Oy.

(P.S. Although this is still not as good as a former co-worker who upon hearing The Who's 'Behind Blue Eyes' asked who this was covering Limp Bizkit (?!). Who knew dead computer mice would make such good projectiles).
  • StevoPhiloStevoPhilo Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Tego1in;3024584 said:
    My sister never knew that Here Comes the Sun was by The Beatles.
    I can top that.

My sister didn't know the beatles sang twist and shout!!!!!! :p
  • hakko504hakko504 Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    Tego1in;3024584 said:
    My sister never knew that Here Comes the Sun was by The Beatles.
    This one caught me by surprise as well when I first found out, some 15-20 years ago...
  • AvendasoraAvendasora Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Hahah, someone I know on Facebook posted the other day that the great thing about this game was that you hear a song title, and think "I don't know if I know that one..." but then discover that you have indeed heard it many times, since you were a kid, and already at least kind of know it.

I told him "whereas I hear a Beatles song title, and immediately think of who wrote it, who sings it (if not the songwriter), the backstory behind it, the names of guest musicians in some cases, and probably it gets stuck in my head."

I kind of memorized a Beatles trivia encyclopedia when I was a teenager. -_-
  • kagatoASUKA89kagatoASUKA89 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I never knew the Beatles sung Birthday I was like whoaaaa thats them this game is great though and very well done you can tell a lot of love went into it
  • wcarnationwcarnation Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    StevoPhilo;3025951 said:
    I can top that.

My sister didn't know the beatles sang twist and shout!!!!!! :p
    I had a similar thing a few years ago. All my life I heard the original version of the song, and then one day the radio was on in the car and The Beatles' cover came on and I was listening and was like "wait, this sounds different ... is that John Lennon? What?"
  • ChuckandDaveChuckandDave Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Gryffindor;3025636 said:
    I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't know that Something was by the Beatles until I heard it in the game.
    After knowing who sings it, I hope people will start knowing who wrote it. I recalled Paul thanking sarcastically Frank Sinatra's comment that he (Frank) felt that 'Something' was the best Lennon-McCartney song, but in fact it was written by George.
  • Jordan10laJordan10la Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I haven't played TB:RB with anyone yet but I remember in school the teacher played what I imagine would've been 1 and I had the same reaction to like most of the songs. Unfortunately it would be much later until I actually thought to get into them.