3 part Vocal Harmony

karmalordkarmalord Rising Star
edited September 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
Wonder how many are doing this, and how many don't mind playing the game without the 3 part harmony feature. Since finding out it can only be done on the same console and not with other singers online, this has to be an issue with some, as this was one of the new added features for the game.

Comments

• AldexAldex Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, it's frustrating not to be able to do this online. I am dying to double and triple fab songs and I know so many good singers on my friends list. Time to recruit family members.
  • MaxRenn82MaxRenn82 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I made my girlfriend sing with me last night. haha Got 11 of 14 "double fabs." :)
  • Opus PenguinOpus Penguin Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I love it ... but it is hard. I get mixed up at which line I am supposed to be following, and at what pitch. I am sure learning new ways of singing these songs.
  • The Hungry SamuraiThe Hungry Samurai Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I've done 2 part harmony with my Fiance. It's a blast, but I'm not sure I know anyone else who sings well enough to take that third mic.
  • west siidewest siide Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    It's an amazing option.

Tried it for the first time last night with my sister using the harmonies.

Firstly, the concept and delivery of this feature is incredible.

To take certain songs and then trade off on vocals between John and Paul is bone-chillingingly amazing.

Second, I now have an appreciation for the complexity of the vocal arrangement between the singers on 2 and 3 part harmonies which is so much more complex than I ever thought. Some of the phasing in and out of the vocals from sharing the same tone to harmonies and back again has blown me away.

Thirdly, it's darn hard to harmonize! The problem that I think most non-singers have in listening to popular songs is that you are used to singing the main tune of the song and you can't easily switch gears to sing a harmony part that is off the main tune of the song....or stay on the main portion to fulfill your component of the harmony.

Also I find myself getting the vocals wrong on the main portion of the song where a harmony starts and I found that I've been switching to sing the higher harmony portion rather than sticking with the main vocals to complete the harmony sound..

John sings most of the lower parts and when there's a harmony part of his songs I tend to jump into the harmony and drop off his vocals, as I'm not using to staying with the lower part of the song.

I'm really looking forward to learning how to harmonize properly. In the few times that my sister and I got it correct (i.e. we sung the separate portion correctly) it actually sounded pretty decent (we're both mediocre singers btw) and gave us alot of encouragement to keep working at it.

One thing I want to understand better is the detailed scoring data at the end of songs for vocals. Is there somewhere that explains that further? Not as a matter of keeping score really - just trying to see how correct we got things and where we need to work on correcting mistakes.
  • elfreakoelfreako Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I find it much harder than I expected. So far I've tried to harmonize while drumming, and it's been a disaster. I'll give it all my attention soon enough.

It was pretty obvious we wouldn't be able to do it online when they specified all microphones are linked to a single controler.
  • skysawskysaw Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I'm looking for some cheap mics to add to start harmonizing right away. Over the years, I've come to sing most of the harmony parts anyway for the Beatles when I sing along.
  • MisterSchulzMisterSchulz Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    My brother came home from San Diego for a couple of weeks, just at the right time so we could play Beatles RB together. We are loving the Vocal Harmonies, it's what we spend most of our time on. Harmonies is what is really going to extend the life of this game on a difficulty level.

Last night, we did a little practicing and managed to get two #1 Global Ranks! It was awesome.

I just wish we had a 3rd vocalist, and I wish we could do this online, because he is going back to SD soon...

[ATTACH]5655[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5656[/ATTACH]
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited September 2009
    We had a blast with the harmonies at my TB:RB party Wednesday night. I usually had a mic in front of me when I was playing drums or guitar, and my gf Maria and her friend Susan were on the other 2 mics for most of the night. The 3 of us have worked on harmonies before for playing out at open mic nights, so it was a breeze to nail some of the Triple Fabs. Others were, well, much harder.

But we did get a triple vocal FC of "I Feel Fine" that night with me singing the lead :)
  • HMXForrestHMXForrest Harmonix Developer
    edited September 2009
    west siide;3027009 said:
    One thing I want to understand better is the detailed scoring data at the end of songs for vocals. Is there somewhere that explains that further? Not as a matter of keeping score really - just trying to see how correct we got things and where we need to work on correcting mistakes.
    The detailed vocal results are organized in columns, one for each mic, and show you how well your singing matched up against each of the available parts. So if, for example, you get 80% in blue it means that over all of the notes in the blue line, you were at the right pitch 80% of the time. It counts even when you aren’t being scored against that part. So if two people are singing the same part, they both will get credit on the vocal results screen even though only one is scoring at a time. Or if you’re singing a part and there’s another part at the same pitch, you get vocal results credit for both even though you’re only scored against one for the phrase.
  • meeeesmeeees Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    trying to play guitar and sing harmonies at the same time has made it seem easy to play and sing melodies, which is NOT easy for me bc I can't sing at all

soooo much fun though
    edited September 2009
    HMXForrest,

Thanks for the reply...but I'm sorry to say I'm not sure I quite understand yet.

I do understand your first point about 80%. However you lost me on your next comment about "counts even when you aren't being scored against that part". Do you mean if you sing that portion correct, the blue, even if you're not the blue track, you'll get credit for the percentage, but of course no addition will be made to the score? If so, then I understand!

Let me ask another question or the same question rephrased another way.

If I'm the Red or Orange track, and I look at my scores, clearly I want to see whichever one of those I'm aiming for to be at 100%, correct? You do you achieve 100% if you sing all of those sections correctly?

If I am the Red/Orange tracks, for certain songs, I'm also singing the Blue track in part of some songs, right?. During the time that I'm supposed to sing the blue track, if I get all of the blue track correct, will I score 100% in that column? Or will I score 100% in that column as long as anything blue I sing is correct regardless if I'm supposed to sing it or not?

Is the idea:
    1) If you're the blue line, to get 100% in blue and 0% in the red and orange lines?
    2) if you're the red or orange lines, to get 100% in the blue and 100% in your respective color while getting 0% in the other color? Or should you not get 100% in the blue as you only sing part of that track?

I hope that is a bit clearer...and thanks for your help.
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited September 2009
    It is a challenge, ESPECIALLY if you have a dense friend who can't carry a tune on easy helping.
  • oRabbitoRabbit Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Harmonies are totally awesome. We only have two mics right now, but my wife usually sings lead and I'll sing the harmony while playing guitar. It's totally hard and I'm all over the place with the harmonies.

The way I think I understand is that it doesn't necessarily bring the score down if one of the harmonizers is missing thier pitch as long as the lead is being filled, but if you are hitting them, you get a better score..is that true?
    Thirdly, it's darn hard to harmonize! The problem that I think most non-singers have in listening to popular songs is that you are used to singing the main tune of the song and you can't easily switch gears to sing a harmony part that is off the main tune of the song
    This is my hardest problem at the moment...always singing the lead pitch, but I'm getting better with deafening practice :p
    edited September 2009
    Right, the way I understand it is that the score only goes up if your harmonize.

My question is more along the lines of interpreting the percentage scoring so I can appropriate judge my performance and figure out how much work I need to do to be more accurate.

For me it's really not much of a scoring issue. I honestly would like to learn how to properly harmonize. In the few sections that I was able to do it correctly with my sister, it actually sounded quite pleasant (even if we sing flat) and I want to improve my ability...but to do that I need to be able to evaluate my performance!
  • oRabbitoRabbit Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    west siide;3029389 said:

If I am the Red/Orange tracks, for certain songs, I'm also singing the Blue track in part of some songs, right?. During the time that I'm supposed to sing the blue track, if I get all of the blue track correct, will I score 100% in that column? Or will I score 100% in that column as long as anything blue I sing is correct regardless if I'm supposed to sing it or not?

Is the idea:
    1) If you're the blue line, to get 100% in blue and 0% in the red and orange lines?
    2) if you're the red or orange lines, to get 100% in the blue and 100% in your respective color while getting 0% in the other color? Or should you not get 100% in the blue as you only sing part of that track?

I hope that is a bit clearer...and thanks for your help.
    From what I've seen and understand (I hope this helps you):
    If you are the red/orange track, you ONLY sing the red/orange parts. You do not sing the blue portions (unless you don't have a second singer because ALL blue notes must be sung by someone to pass the song). The only time you would is when they mesh together and turn black. There's not a way to be a solo singer and get 100% in blue and 100% in red/orange.

edit: ^^ this means that in many songs, the person singing red/orange doesn't have anything to sing for long periods of time.
  • niphtyniphty Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Okay, so the scoring works is that you nail 100% of the lead / harmonies, regardless of who's singing them. We're not entirely sure here, but I don't think Harmony 1 specifically follows one singer, it's just the (typically) higher of the two. That's one of the big questions I have, really.
    So tonight, we had three singers: a friend, my wife, and myself. We managed to get into the triple fabs, but we found out we were all swapping parts. Generally, if I was on lead, I kept it, and the other two would sing the others if they could get it. If one of them sung the lead, during harmonies they would often jump up (as someone else mentioned before) to a harmony, and I would drop from a harmony down into the lead for that part.
    I've found that I follow John's vocals well, and so that's what I'm attempting to stick to. Funny, since my name is John as well =D I'm also the only one who can do George reliably well, especially when his harmony sinks below the lead. My wife does Paul well, and our friend hit Ringo's pretty accurate, though he could often pull the high harmony on anything, as he's really good at singing as it is.

So, back to the original bit, Getting a FC guarantees 100% and full bonus. Someone HAS to get a fab score every single line. It doesn't even have to be the same person. You could set up three mics on a solo and you could each sing one line, going around person to person, and it would count you as only having sung 33% INDIVIDUALLY, but the score of the track was FC'd =D It's a bit complicated, but suffice to say the harmonies, in general, are bonus points. Double fabs and triple fabs are the bonus. I'm just having a hard time sticking to just one harmony track, as we all tend to trade around. Which is why I wonder if harmony 1 is always the same Beatle =D
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    The option is fun and we use it extensively here. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at harmonizing so much as just singing along. It will take a great deal of practice for me to recognize and hit the harmonies instead of the lead, especially while vox---- ing.
  • rogetterogette Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    anyone can tell me if the mics we use in wii will work in xbox 360?
  • TeamAliceFTWTeamAliceFTW Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I love it so much. It makes the game so much fun being able to have both my friend and i on guitar/bass and both have mics. Scores don't go too well, but we just do it for fun.
  • HMXForrestHMXForrest Harmonix Developer
    edited September 2009
    west siide,
    west siide;3029389 said:
    Do you mean if you sing that portion correct, the blue, even if you're not the blue track, you'll get credit for the percentage, but of course no addition will be made to the score?
    Yeah, that's right. It doesn't matter which part you're actually singing, if you happen to sing the right pitch for blue, it will add to your blue percentage in the vocal results. This way your percentage won't be affected by anything else that happens to be going on, it only matters how your singing matched up against that part.
    west siide;3029389 said:
    If I'm the Red or Orange track, and I look at my scores, clearly I want to see whichever one of those I'm aiming for to be at 100%, correct? You do you achieve 100% if you sing all of those sections correctly?
    Yep, so if there's only one orange note in the whole song and you nail it, that's 100% for orange.
    west siide;3029389 said:
    Is the idea:
    Not quite. There are times when singing your part correctly will give you a good percentage for another part also. For example, "I Want to Hold Your Hand" is mostly John and Paul singing the same thing, so if you get 100% on blue you'll automatically get a high percentage for orange as well.
    west siide;3029389 said:
    If you're focusing on orange and have to jump to blue in a few places, your blue percentage will only be however much of the total blue line you sung, including the parts you didn't sing because the orange line was doing something different. That means it's impossible to get 100% for more than one part in most songs.

I'd say as a general rule, if you're focusing on a particular part, try to get 100% in that part, but don't worry too much about the other percentages.

Good luck!
    edited September 2009
    niphty;3031790 said:
    Which is why I wonder if harmony 1 is always the same Beatle =D
    I'm fairly certain that it is the same person, but it might switch per song. For example, if Paul sings lead on a certain song, his vocal line will be the blue one of course. If John sings the high harmony, he would be Red, and George would be Orange. For the whole of that particular song. (I might have Red and Orange backwards for the low/high bit)

But on another song, Paul might be Orange, John Red, and George Blue.
    rogette;3032717 said:
    anyone can tell me if the mics we use in wii will work in xbox 360?
    Yes, microphones are cross-platform compatible.
  • DethBoxxDethBoxx Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    karmalord;3025938 said:
    Wonder how many are doing this, and how many don't mind playing the game without the 3 part harmony feature. Since finding out it can only be done on the same console and not with other singers online, this has to be an issue with some, as this was one of the new added features for the game.
    I didn't know that...why can't you sing harmonies online??!
  • DJCOPADJCOPA Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I love it ... but it is hard.
  • Rod_StixxRod_Stixx Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I'm loving, loving, loving the harmonies! I've been singing both the lead and harmony parts to these songs so long, it hasn't been all that difficult for me. The toughest part has been when I started playing the game and sang harmonies while drumming. I know the harmonies really well, but messed up a couple of times when I wasn't sure if they were charting the harmony part to the second singer or not (since I can't look at the vocal chart while I drum - I'm just going off knowing the song really well).

When I sang harmonies without drumming (while the gf sang lead), we did really well for the most part. She struggles on a few of the songs, and doesn't know a few of them all that well. So she prefers I take lead. Then she'll sometimes bounce between the harmony part and the lead as she tries to figure out what part she is singing. It would be awesome to have a third here, but we should be able to do double vocals online quite a bit.
    edited September 2009
    DethBoxx;3034147 said:
    I didn't know that...why can't you sing harmonies online??!
    Because all 3 vocalists are controlled by one vocalist "character", so to speak. There is only room for 1 vocalist when playing online.
  • lotr rocks 0lotr rocks 0 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    there should be an online option to just have matchmaking for singers, find 3 and have it be like quickplay except only with singers, and maybe pre-determine who is supposed to sing which harmony somehow so they dont all just do lead.
  • karaokefreakkaraokefreak Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I love this feature. And I think it is smart to still have the main part being the melody since it is what most people know best, and it makes a lot musical sense as well.

Imagine two players singing only harmony but no melody - that would be an open chord without a base,much like in impessionism. Though still in tune ,it would change the feel of the song. So it is good that The Beatles Rock Band requires at least one singer to stay on the melody.

Love the vocal trainer too. My girlfriend and I, we have learned a lot of harmonies in the last days, And we even had the first occasion to use our new knowledge: Singing in the car :D :D

Having a 1200 km (about 750 miles) roundtrip and two trips of five to six hours on the road ahead of us, we took a lot of CDs with us. A lot of Beatles as well and we sang harmonies on the road. Awesome!

I know that some guys envy us germans for large highways without speedlimit (not everywhere - just where it is "safe"), but I guess driving 180 km/h (about 110 miles per hour) plus singing beatles harmonies to remastered CD sound should blow your mind :D :D

Just kidding.
  • tubalordtubalord Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    My wife and I love the vocal harmony feature. The last two times we had someone over to play TB:RB, we barely touched any of the instruments, but we spent hours practicing harmonies (on hard; she sings incredibly well on expert, but the rest of us aren't there yet). Our ultimate goal is to be able to play instruments and sing at the same time, but it's so hard on anything but the easiest songs that I don't know if it's realistic to expect us to achieve that. I did manage to get 100% expert drums and 98% solo hard vocals on "Do You Want to Know a Secret," so I have hope. Regardless we're going to have a lot of fun trying. :)
  • abacababacab Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I visited some friends and with the three of us we managed to get all the double fabs. Usually if one of us couldn't hit one part, another person could so it worked out great. Only problem is that we could never hit any triple fabs and my gf is too shy to sing in front of other people so this one might never happen for me.