Looking to improve on the Drums

PGaither84PGaither84 Unsigned
edited September 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
I bought the collector's edition just so I could play the drums [and to have a few different instruments.] I can't play the guitar to save my life because I lack the coordination and attention to even complete easy mode. However, I have gotten to a point on the drums where easy mode is just, well, too easy. I am working on medium mode and currently my two big problems are this:

1.) I feel like I lack the coordination/attention to play "8 count" [correct term?] songs like "A Hard Day's Night." I get booed off the stage often before I even get out of the opening on songs like these. In practice mode I struggle on 80% speed.

2.) Anything that has a lot of foot-peddle work throws me way off. More so when it's staggered. For example, when there are back-to-back beats followed by a beat or two gap and then a one beat and then a two beat gap and then it repeats. This kind of stuff right now is way too fast and chaotic for me.

While I expect more practice will help, like with everything, are there any tips or tricks I should/could try to improve? I cannot even complete story mode on medium because of these problems. I kind of feel like I am stuck in a limbo of where easy mode is so easy it's boring but medium can get to be so difficult I get frustrated and turn it off.

Comments

• wcarnationwcarnation Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    These limbos happen and I was in one for Medium/Hard for a long time. I could FC Painkiller in Rock Band 2 on Medium, but then doing a simple song on Hard was difficult.

Make sure you're holding the pedal down between hits. It gets a lot easier to 'tap' the pedal once you've got that down.

Also, listen to the beat of the song, and try to know it better through practice. Hit along with what you hear instead of entirely what you see.

The biggest mountain you climb in this period of playing Drums is learning that both your arms and your foot all have to be working separate of themselves. If you're having problems with a beat, try practicing with one limb and then slowly adding in the others.

The "8 count" I am guessing you're talking about is primarily Yellow beat. Practice hitting the yellows in rhythm and then adding in the reds and then your foot. Eventually after enough practice, your arms can play freely without too much trouble.
  • Jordan10laJordan10la Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Play in the drum trainer. Seriously. See how many you can do and one the highest speed you can.
  • PGaither84PGaither84 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    So, I am working on drum practice number 10 and can't do it at all right now. I am getting very frustrated because without even trying the foot-peddle, which really throws me off, I can't even get the quick red/yellow to work. it's way to fast for me. I can start off kind of nice but I really can't find a way of getting my left and right hands to work independently of each other. They both want to sync up and bang at the same time.

I can play just the red or just the yellow, I can play the yellow with the foot-peddle, but I can't play the red and the foot-peddle either. The rhythm in my head always send my left hand [red one] to try and sync up with the foot-peddle.

I really don't know what to do. I am getting very frustrated in myself and my inability thus far to do this.

I do thank you for the help so far.

I have been playing most of the day and cannot for the life of me get any of this to work. I am not ready to give up yet because I am still "brand new" or "just starting" but that doesn't make it any less frustrating.
  • WeeezyWeeezy Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    You gotta give it time. You are probably trying to progress too quickly. I'd say keep playing on easy for a few days. Build up your muscle memory and get used to just playing. Then move up to medium.

Also keep at the trainer and slow it down a speed where you can hit the notes and then just keep playing at that speed for a bit and then up the speed slowly.
    edited September 2009
    Alright I'll give that try. That muscle memory thing likely has a lot to do with it because I am finding that as soon as I try and do other things with my left and right arm, my foot-peddle goes completely off beat and does tries to keep up with my left or right arm rather than doing it's own thing.

I'll also try and 5star the whole game on easy before I move on. Thanks again for the advice.
  • DeusTrinitasDeusTrinitas Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Jordan10la;3026142 said:
    Play in the drum trainer. Seriously. See how many you can do and one the highest speed you can.
    The drum trainer is a huge help. Well worth your time.
    edited September 2009
    DeusTrinitas;3030137 said:
    The drum trainer is a huge help. Well worth your time.
    Between breaks, that is what i have been doing and I agree it helps a lot. Are there any tip though regarding technique? I really liked the tip about not fully releasing the foot-peddle. That has helped a lot on the repetitive quick stomps and my ability to correctly time them than before.
  • antneedantneed Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I agree with what everyone has said so far, but, first of all, make sure that you have a comfortalbe set-up......
    That was my big thing in the beginning, I didnt have the right seat and the drums were too low.
    I'm tall, so I cranked up the kit, and got a high stool and made a world of difference.
    Then practice in beat trainer, the basic beats you should master!
  • wcarnationwcarnation Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    PGaither84;3030032 said:
    Alright I'll give that try. That muscle memory thing likely has a lot to do with it because I am finding that as soon as I try and do other things with my left and right arm, my foot-peddle goes completely off beat and does tries to keep up with my left or right arm rather than doing it's own thing.

I'll also try and 5star the whole game on easy before I move on. Thanks again for the advice.
    Shore enough.

I had a hard time with that when I first started on Easy, then I got it down and it felt like second nature. Then I moved on to Medium, and the pressure was put on a bit more to do those talents well.

Then Hard brings in all sorts of trickery involving the foot pedal (lots lots more pedal hits out of sync with other notes), and that was another point of learning.

Eventually all 3 limbs are just doing their own thing.
  • ParkaPalFredParkaPalFred Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    PGaither84;3029908 said:
    So, I am working on drum practice number 10 and can't do it at all right now. I am getting very frustrated because without even trying the foot-peddle, which really throws me off, I can't even get the quick red/yellow to work. it's way to fast for me. I can start off kind of nice but I really can't find a way of getting my left and right hands to work independently of each other. They both want to sync up and bang at the same time.

I can play just the red or just the yellow, I can play the yellow with the foot-peddle, but I can't play the red and the foot-peddle either. The rhythm in my head always send my left hand [red one] to try and sync up with the foot-peddle.

I really don't know what to do. I am getting very frustrated in myself and my inability thus far to do this.

I do thank you for the help so far.

I have been playing most of the day and cannot for the life of me get any of this to work. I am not ready to give up yet because I am still "brand new" or "just starting" but that doesn't make it any less frustrating.
    I have the exact opposite problem. I can usually hit the pedal with a yellow, blue or green no problem.
    As soon as I have to hit red with my left and pedal at the same time I start screwing up and take a while to get back on track.
    edited September 2009
    Well if anyone cares, I have been also been taking a break from practice mode to go online an play a little. I have been averaging 80-90% each time out and have not been booed off stage once. That feels good.

PS. While I love B:RB, I really hope we can get a Led Zeppelin, or my favorite, Pink Floyd RB game in the future.
  • vcalzonevcalzone Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    Do relatively easy ones on as hard a setting as you can stomach. Then find a pattern that you can't do and do it forever, particularly one with a lot of pedal.

Then stop. Walk away from drums for a week and learn to play the guitar a little better, or perfect your pitch. When you try the stuff that frustrated you a week later, it's amazing how much easier it seems.

Oh yeah, and if you have a relatively high chair to play from, that works better. You can rest your toe on the pedal and just kinda stomp it a bit. Believe it or not, literally bouncing your leg on the pedal like that is actually easier.
  • Aftrthought051Aftrthought051 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    All good advice, and while I'm always one to blame oneself, make sure your calibration is set right. You may have been too quick to hit the button and anticipate the strike. So going back and reseting your calibration, sometimes 2 or 3 times, will sometimes help as well. Wait to hit for exactly when you hear it and hit when you "see" the pad light up, and not when you hear the click. Wait for it, and that extra .5 ms delay you see will help you a ton when you play.
  • Dr.SmootDr.Smoot Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    A couple of days ago, someone suggested around here to keep the foot down on the pedal between notes, and I instantly found this is great advice. Once you get the timing down, its much more natural and far, far easier on the ankle. The pedal has always been my main problem - I don't have any trouble staying in sync with it, but the way I was doing it was too strenuous to manage any kind of fast pattern. With some of this difficulty gone, I think I might be ready finally to move into Hard mode full time.
  • Dr.SmootDr.Smoot Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    PGaither84;3026123 said:
    I bought the collector's edition just so I could play the drums [and to have a few different instruments.] I can't play the guitar to save my life because I lack the coordination and attention to even complete easy mode. However, I have gotten to a point on the drums where easy mode is just, well, too easy. I am working on medium mode and currently my two big problems are this:

1.) I feel like I lack the coordination/attention to play "8 count" [correct term?] songs like "A Hard Day's Night." I get booed off the stage often before I even get out of the opening on songs like these. In practice mode I struggle on 80% speed.

2.) Anything that has a lot of foot-peddle work throws me way off. More so when it's staggered. For example, when there are back-to-back beats followed by a beat or two gap and then a one beat and then a two beat gap and then it repeats. This kind of stuff right now is way too fast and chaotic for me.

While I expect more practice will help, like with everything, are there any tips or tricks I should/could try to improve? I cannot even complete story mode on medium because of these problems. I kind of feel like I am stuck in a limbo of where easy mode is so easy it's boring but medium can get to be so difficult I get frustrated and turn it off.
    If it hasn't been suggested, try isolating each part (right hand, left hand, foot) and mastering it before you add in the rest. The bass pedal is the toughest, so only add it in once you can maintain a steady beat with the left and right hand.