Why are Gold Stars so Difficult to Earn?

MacaqueOwnzUMacaqueOwnzU Unsigned
edited September 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
Everyone dogs Activision for the achievements in GH games all the time, well HMX you may have one upped them at their own game. Now not all are hard but some are just plain stupid. For instance get gold stars on the following songs on expert. No problem except for when I get 100% and I still don't get gold stars there lies the problem. Will this problem be addressed, probably not, but it might. If it isn't fixed for RB 3 or whatever game you have coming out in the future you might have lost a loyal customer. I see no problem making it where you can't get gold star without 100% it, but say for example "I Feel Fine" I have hit 100% on bass and no gold star. I got 75,830 on guitar missing 1 note and still no gold star. Why not? Any answers HMX on why the gold star cutoffs are ******ed high, or where you can't even get gold stars on a song even if you 100% it.

Comments

  • edited September 2009
    edited your thread title so that other posters will actually know what the contents of the thread are about.

    Oscar is pretty spot on - getting gold stars is about more than just FCing a song - be strategic in the way you use and deploy your Beatlemania to earn more points and get closer to those coveted stars.
  • wcarnationwcarnation Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Even missing one note can sometimes ruin your chance of getting Gold. In the span of the time it takes you to rebuild the x4, all those notes have lost the bonus points you would have earned.

    Beatlemania is insaneo extra points, knowing how much you should build up exactly (or not build up), when to deploy it and net the most extra points via the notes available, string it along with more Beatlemania phrases and so on

    Usually guides exist to help you get Gold Stars without much frustration but this game is new.

    And remember, the fewer the notes you have, the more difficult the Gold Star will be because you have less to give you the higher score you need. This is usually the case on a 100% = No GS result.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    MacaqueOwnzU;3026444 said:
    ..., but say for example "I Feel Fine" I have hit 100% on bass and no gold star. I got 75,830 on guitar missing 1 note and still no gold star.
    This exactly happened to me, too. I FC'd it on bass with about ten different Beatlemania paths = no GS.

    On guitar I needed a lot of runs, too, but I finally got the GS with 1 mistake. Just FC the song OR use your Beatlemania carefully in the triple-chord sections, don't waste it in the solo. :)
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    Given how short and "simple" The Beatles songs are comparred to the typical RB song, they had to increase the gold star requirements a bit to make it more of an achivement.

    Pay attention to the song/chart when playing. There's some songs that you have to hold on to your Beatlemania for a while so that you can use it on a section with a LOT of chords.

    For example: "Can't Buy Me Love".
  • ShubornoShuborno Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    The point of Gold stars is for them to be difficult to earn.

    I don't find it fun to aim for Gold stars, so I just don't worry about it. It's just a game. Just because there are achievements for something doesn't mean you have to do it.

    I have no interest in mastery of a plastic instrument game. I'm there to enjoy the music with a little interactive challenge thrown in. Some people are there also for the "game" aspect of it, and this kind of challenge is in there for them.
  • MacaqueOwnzUMacaqueOwnzU Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I know , I have most of the songs gold starred, it just when I get a 400 note streak and use beatlemania on the chords section of I Feel Fine and still only get 5 stars, it kind of irks me. I still don't get the 100% thing though, 100% should gurantee gold star (IMO)
  • KidmittKidmitt Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    I haven't played it yet, but I take it that the cutoff is higher than the old ~1.5x cutoff?
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    MacaqueOwnzU;3026557 said:
    I still don't get the 100% thing though, 100% should gurantee gold star (IMO)
    Gold Stars in RB are fine the way they are. They're essentially a "6th" star to push for once you've gotten good enough to beat songs on Expert.

    You can 100% on any difficulty....
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    MacaqueOwnzU;3026557 said:
    I still don't get the 100% thing though, 100% should gurantee gold star (IMO)
    On guitar it 99.9% does, bass is more difficult because of the 6x multiplier and the lack of solo bonuses.
  • HocusPocusHocusPocus Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I always felt that getting 100% for the whole song should come with bonus points (similar to how solos can provide bonus points).
  • MaxRenn82MaxRenn82 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    You have to FC it on guitar or drums without wasting any Beatlemania. I posted on that particular song too. I just needed to chill out and put it down a while. When I came back and tried it again I got it on the 2nd go.

    Only achievements I need now are the 100% Helter Skelter expert drums, complete Beatle Beats, and the Double/Triple Fab pair.
  • MexMex Mex Type Thing
    edited September 2009
    MacaqueOwnzU;3026557 said:
    I know , I have most of the songs gold starred, it just when I get a 400 note streak and use beatlemania on the chords section of I Feel Fine and still only get 5 stars, it kind of irks me. I still don't get the 100% thing though, 100% should gurantee gold star (IMO)
    I disagree. You can get 100% on a song but break your streak constantly by strumming when there isn't a note there. So 100% isn't the best measurement for a great player.

    I like the cutoffs being a bit higher in Beatles RB some of the songs are....dare I say...simpler than what we've seen in other RB games.
  • GillDaThrillGillDaThrill Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Kidmitt;3026562 said:
    I haven't played it yet, but I take it that the cutoff is higher than the old ~1.5x cutoff?

    I don't think the cutoff is higher, there's just less notes to get there. As in, you might hit 5 stars 2/3 of the way through the song if you play perfectly. I've gotten a couple GS myself solo. I imagine (all the people...) that it's easier to GS playing in band, as it seems to be in regular ol' RB.
  • IzzyIzzy Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I Feel Fine on Bass seems impossible to get gold stars on, You still need like 5k extra even with optimal path
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I just looked it up:

    I got the GS on the X360-version on Expert guitar with 75,506 points.
  • zeoavengerzeoavenger Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    The achievements in this game are pretty lame. It's almost all scoreheroish grinding crap which just isn't fun. No creativity was put in this game's achievements at all, guess it was all used up on the dreamscapes.

    Geometry Wars 2 is still the king of interesting achievments that actually add to the gaming experience.
  • MexMex Mex Type Thing
    edited September 2009
    zeoavenger;3026858 said:
    The achievements in this game are pretty lame. It's almost all scoreheroish grinding crap which just isn't fun. No creativity was put in this game's achievements at all, guess it was all used up on the dreamscapes.

    Geometry Wars 2 is still the king of interesting achievments that actually add to the gaming experience.
    What kind of achievements would you have put in the game?
  • MaxRenn82MaxRenn82 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I had no problem with them. They need to be somewhat challenging or there would be no point in having them. Maybe all games should just have 1 achievement worth 1000 points: "You Turned On The Console! - 1000G"
  • zeoavengerzeoavenger Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Mex;3026872 said:
    What kind of achievements would you have put in the game?
    Things that make you play the game differently than just trying to 100% everything.

    Stuff like:

    Play Birthday on all 4 Beatles' birthdays
    1 Star a song
    End a song with a full OD bar but have used it twice already
    Complete the Story on the 9th of a month
    Watch the Christmas video in December
    Don't miss any green notes on Drums
    Miss the 99th note on a song but not the 98th or 100th
    Miss exactly 9 notes in a song
    etc.


    I'm not saying cut all the 100%/GS achievements but add a little variety to the list. Achievements should be interesting too.
  • MexMex Mex Type Thing
    edited September 2009
    zeoavenger;3026953 said:
    Things that make you play the game differently than just trying to 100% everything.

    Stuff like:

    Play Birthday on all 4 Beatles' birthdays
    1 Star a song
    End a song with a full OD bar but have used it twice already
    Complete the Story on the 9th of a month
    Watch the Christmas video in December
    Don't miss any green notes on Drums
    Miss the 99th note on a song but not the 98th or 100th
    Miss exactly 9 notes in a song
    etc.


    I'm not saying cut all the 100%/GS achievements but add a little variety to the list. Achievements should be interesting too.
    Ok, those are interesting. But I bet some people would complain about it. Like...what if you bought the game in January? You're gonna wait till Decemebr to watch the Christmas video.

    Achievements/Trophies are cool but the people that are really into them tend to be "grinder" types. So i'm not surprised they are what they are.
  • MaxRenn82MaxRenn82 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Those sound more like GH achievements.
  • zeoavengerzeoavenger Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Mex;3026977 said:
    Ok, those are interesting. But I bet some people would complain about it. Like...what if you bought the game in January? You're gonna wait till Decemebr to watch the Christmas video.

    Achievements/Trophies are cool but the people that are really into them tend to be "grinder" types. So i'm not surprised they are what they are.
    Sure there would be some complaining, there's complaining with everything. This game is supposed to have staying power with all the DLC support so date based rewards shouldn't be a problem. Plus you could probably just change the date on your console to trick the game anyway.

    I don't mind grinding achievements being there because there should always be a few to actually put your skills to the test, but they went a little overboard for this game. Achievements can enhance a gaming experience, and it's cool when they can.

    Anyway, can't do anything about it now.
  • HeadcaseHeadcase Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    zeoavenger;3027076 said:
    Plus you could probably just change the date on your console to trick the game anyway.
    I dunno. To me, the real achievements encourage people to just play the game for its enjoyment, and get some achievements showered on them if they happen to play well enough, whereas with yours are more just reading the list to see what arbitrary action you need to do for the next achievement. They're more interesting, but less practical, less rewarding, and less fun imo.

    Also, for anyone who does so, don't think of the achievements as grinding. Just play the game as normal, most of them come naturally (at least in this game), and getting all of them does not increase the size of your penis\****.
  • JormJorm Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I Feel Fine looks to be un-gold starrable on bass, which for an on-disc song is... perplexing.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited September 2009
    zeoavenger;3026953 said:
    Things that make you play the game differently than just trying to 100% everything.

    Stuff like:

    Play Birthday on all 4 Beatles' birthdays
    1 Star a song
    End a song with a full OD bar but have used it twice already
    Complete the Story on the 9th of a month
    Watch the Christmas video in December
    Don't miss any green notes on Drums
    Miss the 99th note on a song but not the 98th or 100th
    Miss exactly 9 notes in a song
    etc.


    I'm not saying cut all the 100%/GS achievements but add a little variety to the list. Achievements should be interesting too.
    While I agree with your concept, I feel your suggested execution sounds too much like some of Guitar Hero III's achievements, whose achievements did very little to endear themselves upon the community (TWO career runs, one left-handed? Fail a song ten times? Fail one 90% in?).

    I couldn't make heads or tails of the Four-GS achievements until I finished one off and realized that every single one was sung by Ringo (the unlocked gamerpic helped). I think having achievements geared towards the expert players makes more sense regardless, and it's not like all of them are, anyway (the streaks can usually be done on medium/hard, as can the harmony achievements). A lot of them basically come down to, "play our game as often as you can!" which I think makes a fair amount of sense.
  • HeadcaseHeadcase Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Jorm;3027208 said:
    I Feel Fine looks to be un-gold starrable on bass, which for an on-disc song is... perplexing.
    I think RB2 initially had this problem too (or at least it had one with an RB1 song, Seven I think), and they patched it to make gold stars a bit easier.

    I kinda doubt they'll be patching this game the same way, but this is definitely a problem if true... I mean most of us won't gold star every song on every instrument anyway, but the idea that a chart can never be golded is still unsettling.
  • JormJorm Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Headcase;3027263 said:
    I think RB2 initially had this problem too (or at least it had one with an RB1 song, Seven I think), and they patched it to make gold stars a bit easier.

    I kinda doubt they'll be patching this game the same way, but this is definitely a problem if true... I mean most of us won't gold star every song on every instrument anyway, but the idea that a chart can never be golded is still unsettling.
    Yeah, though even after they made gold for bass a bit easier, there are still some DLC songs that are non-goldable, recent ones, too.

    So they slip through the cracks occasionally.

    At first I thought, well why didn't they just throw another energy phrase or two into the mix, to bring GS within reach? But perhaps there's some rule on HMX's side that says there can only be so many energy phrases per notes/track length and I Feel Fine just didn't make the cut.

    This was the song in the demo that I 100%'d and didn't GS (didn't come close to the 1.5x the 5 star score) that had me thinking they had radically changed the scoring system.
  • Weatherman81Weatherman81 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    so you would stop playing/buying their games just cause you cant get gold stars? If thats where the fun in these games is for you then I feel bad for ya man.
  • zeoavengerzeoavenger Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    LoopyChew;3027261 said:
    While I agree with your concept, I feel your suggested execution sounds too much like some of Guitar Hero III's achievements, whose achievements did very little to endear themselves upon the community (TWO career runs, one left-handed? Fail a song ten times? Fail one 90% in?).

    I couldn't make heads or tails of the Four-GS achievements until I finished one off and realized that every single one was sung by Ringo (the unlocked gamerpic helped). I think having achievements geared towards the expert players makes more sense regardless, and it's not like all of them are, anyway (the streaks can usually be done on medium/hard, as can the harmony achievements). A lot of them basically come down to, "play our game as often as you can!" which I think makes a fair amount of sense.
    GH III Achievements were pretty dumb though. They just asked for way too many nonsensical things AND you had to grind to get them. They were over the top extreme basically.

    Achievements can be kinda like mini-games themselves. They can add variety to the game, different goals. People are already trying to 100% everything anyway no matter what difficulty they play on. Just making a bunch of get 100% on X isn't creative in the slightest. Doing something other than playing for accuracy can be just as fun because you're still going for a goal. The achievement list in this game is a one trick pony for the most part.

    Let me give you an example. I brought up Geometry Wars 2 already but look at this list of achievements.

    http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/geometry-wars-2/achievements/

    Phobia
    Surf
    Treaty
    Rebound
    Wax On
    Wax Off
    Smile

    All of the above achievements forced you to play the game in a non-traditional way. You had to read the achievement list to find out what your goal was. They were actually tons of fun to get and more fun than just going after a high score. They could have taken the easy way out and just set "Score X amount of points in each game type" goals. Wouldn't have been as fun though. In fact, Smile is one of my favorite achievements ever.
  • muntophermuntopher Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I have to agree this is really stupid, I've spent over an hour trying to figure out the optimal path for I feel fine and I me mine on bass to get gold stars and still no success I've gotten 100% all the time. I understand the point in making it a challenge to people to get gold stars on some of the more simplistic songs but regardless I think you should get gold if you get 100% in a song and use your star power anything otherwise is a bit unfair!

    And to be honest I really feel like complaining to Harmonix about this issue because its really frustrating when trying to gain achievements, why have them in there if you cant get them!
Sign In or Register to comment.