Didn't feel like a Rockband game

iistuiiiistuii Unsigned
edited September 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
I bought, played, completed,and sold Beatles Rockband. I'm not here to have a go it's just an opinion.I play Drums and the main thing for the drummer that keeps it better than GH is the fills & solo Endings.OK you don't want someone goin mad on a fill in yellow submarine etc, but it just took the edge off it for me. The tracks are great and the Beatles animation was great, but for a drummer it was soso.I just purchased The Jam tracks on DLC and playing them was miles better than the Beatles in my opinion.I'd have prefered to have had the songs DLC really.Also i think the fills etc may have been taken out on request of the Beatles don't you think.It just didn't feel like a rockband game to me on drums.

Comments

• NathanNRTNathanNRT Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    It wasn't supposed to feel like a Rock Band game it was supposed to feel like its own game
  • iistuiiiistuii Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I'll just keep with the DLC. I don't play guitar after years of GH and i purchased a ION Dum Rocker and i just love playing that, which is so responsive, no excuses for missing a beat hehe. I just prefer the original Rockband format thats all. I said it's just an opinion.I did complete it and got 5 stars on all songs and played in a complete band online, Just not my bag.
  • tcole6tcole6 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    That's a shame, 'cause as a bass player, the game is friggin' awesome? Maybe some of the expert tracks could have been a little more like the real tracks, but still...excellent.

Paul McCartney never really got his props as a Bass player either. Not as underrated as poor Ringo, but never on Bass Player Magazine's Best Player list either. He really was quite good for his day.
  • BranrBranr Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    I think it comes down to the two types of players:

It's about the score
    It's about the music

Most people will gravitate towards one or the other of these types. Neither is bad, since, for the first, RB is a game, and score is important, and for the second, RB is a game about music, and prefer to play songs they like to hear. TB:RB (to me) falls more in the second category, that it is more about the music than the challenge (not to say there isn't challenge in some of the songs!)
  • HeadcaseHeadcase Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    To me it's good and bad.

Good because it's more realistic, and doesn't interfere with your score nearly as much (particularly if you save up star power).

Bad because you... can't do fills. But I sort of got my (groan) of them already.
    Branr;3027628 said:
    TB:RB (to me) falls more in the second category, that it is more about the music than the challenge (not to say there isn't challenge in some of the songs!)
    The lack of fills is actually better for the score and challenge too. Fills were in RB to add a little much needed freedom to the drumming game, but they actually mess with the score system a bit. Saving star power (ok, ok, overdrive) is punished because some of the gems are cleared to make way for the fills.

And also, some of the real-life fills were ruined by replacing them with an Overdrive fill (like that awesome fill in the cover version of Tom Sawyer, if you know which one I'm talking about), so it wasn't good for challenge either.

So basically having no fills is: better for the music (that one's arguable), better for scoring purposes, better for the challenge, worse for freedom.
  • iistuiiiistuii Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Also all the guitar Whammy's etc don't work so i hear. I understand it's The Beatles game and all that. it's just not as good in my opinion.
  • FrieAaronFrieAaron Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Most fun I've ever had with a rythm game probably. And I haven't even tried harmonizing yet...doing that tonight.
  • ReverseEngineerReverseEngineer Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    iistuii;3027713 said:
    Also all the guitar Whammy's etc don't work so i hear. I understand it's The Beatles game and all that. it's just not as good in my opinion.
    I'd hate to hear some kid at best buy whammying his way through EVERY ONE OF George's sustained notes. It's bad enough that I hear it in Rock Band 2.
  • jonutahjonutah Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Funny, but I think my kids were looking more forward to this than Rock Band Lego (and they are 5 and 7) because we've been playing and singing Beatles songs for a while (in the car, at home with their toy guitars). For me, its all about spending time with family over great songs.

- jon
  • aspushkinaspushkin Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    ReverseEngineer;3027822 said:
    I'd hate to hear some kid at best buy whammying his way through EVERY ONE OF George's sustained notes. It's bad enough that I hear it in Rock Band 2.
    Why? Why would you hate that? What difference would it make? How could someone whammying notes possibly defile the music of the sainted, most holy Beatles when someone MISSING multiple notes would not?

This is all so ridiculous. For some unknown (and, I can't help but think, utterly silly) reason, we can't export these tracks to RB2. Why do you people keep on insisting that this is actually a good thing?
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited September 2009
    aspushkin;3029229 said:
    Why? Why would you hate that? What difference would it make? How could someone whammying notes possibly defile the music of the sainted, most holy Beatles when someone MISSING multiple notes would not?

This is all so ridiculous. For some unknown (and, I can't help but think, utterly silly) reason, we can't export these tracks to RB2. Why do you people keep on insisting that this is actually a good thing?
    Then there's the third type of player.
    1. For the Score.
    2. They love the music.
    3. Care about nothing but quantity of DLC they can grab. RB has spoiled us so far that people expect everything from them.

How EVER did anyone handle when there was nothing but GH1 and GH2 and you had to change disks to play?
  • west siidewest siide Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I think it's pretty universally understood the following about The Beatles game:

1) The Beatles RB engine is more advanced than RB2 and therefore you'd have to downgrade and actually strip portions of the tracks out to work with RB2. For example, RB2 doesn't support harmony vocals so something would have to be done to resolve that with exporting the tracks.
    2) Licensing: The Beatles licensing is notoriously difficult. And before you go off blaming the Beatles members for this, remember they are 3 key stakeholders. The Beatles members being one, EMI being the 2nd, and Sony/ATV being the 3rd. So unless you can get all parties to sign off then things can't get done, with exhibit A being the Beatles non-existence on iTunes. If there was no universal agreement on the export of Beatles songs into other RB titles or if the licensing fee for such a feature was delivered to MTV/HMX as prohibitive, then it ain't gonna happen.

I can't think that there is anyone insisting that non-exportability is a good thing. If they are, I haven't seen it. What it is, is a fact of the situation.

We can always hope that once RB3 rolls around and the RB engines between the games are compatible that the issue of exportability is revisited and able to be resolved. If not, then I think we can find a way to live with the occasional disc swap, don't you think?
    edited September 2009
    Becoming accustomed to steadily increasing standards is not being "spoiled." It is not a virtue for a product to teach us a stern lesson in being satisfied with what we have. And no, I don't expect "everything from a HMX." I didn't expect a keyboard peripheral, for example, although a well-designed keyboard would have made this game soooo much better. I expect them to meet the standards that they have already set and to set a new bar for their next release. When they can't do that, I expect that there will be a reasonable excuse, not that I'll be, quite frankly, lied to with a bunch of nonsense about how different and unique of an experience this game would be, and how that's why I can't just play these great songs in RB2. To be honest, I think HMX's Beatles love-fest is very nicely done, but it's also a bit tiresome. I would love to be able to play these songs without constantly being reminded of the Beatles' illustrious career and legendary friendship or whatever. That was fun once, but I'm getting sick of constantly seeing the fab 4 while I play. Sad to say, I'm getting a bit sick of the Beatles altogether-- I really love most of these songs, but I'd much rather pepper my play sessions with them than essentially be forced to play at least a few songs in a row. I don't want to trade this in b/c I would lose some great songs, but I don't really see myself playing it much.
    edited September 2009
    west siide;3029301 said:
    I think it's pretty universally understood the following about The Beatles game:

1) The Beatles RB engine is more advanced than RB2 and therefore you'd have to downgrade and actually strip portions of the tracks out to work with RB2. For example, RB2 doesn't support harmony vocals so something would have to be done to resolve that with exporting the tracks.
    2) Licensing: The Beatles licensing is notoriously difficult. And before you go off blaming the Beatles members for this, remember they are 3 key stakeholders. The Beatles members being one, EMI being the 2nd, and Sony/ATV being the 3rd. So unless you can get all parties to sign off then things can't get done, with exhibit A being the Beatles non-existence on iTunes. If there was no universal agreement on the export of Beatles songs into other RB titles or if the licensing fee for such a feature was delivered to MTV/HMX as prohibitive, then it ain't gonna happen.

I can't think that there is anyone insisting that non-exportability is a good thing. If they are, I haven't seen it. What it is, is a fact of the situation.

We can always hope that once RB3 rolls around and the RB engines between the games are compatible that the issue of exportability is revisited and able to be resolved. If not, then I think we can find a way to live with the occasional disc swap, don't you think?
    Well-said, but two points. Re: #1-- I can see why a RB2---> TB:RB transfer would be difficult, but how hard is it to just not chart the second and third vocals... just as if you were playing TB:RB with one vocalist.

And second, I wouldn't be writing all of this if there weren't A LOT of people claiming that this is in fact a good thing, bizarrely arguing that the game is better without an export feature.

Edit: Actually it's not just a fanboy thing. This is what HMX has been saying-- everyone knows that licensing issues are to blame for lack of export, but they act like this is how they would have wanted it.
  • west siidewest siide Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    "A LOT"? Really?

I'd take issue with that characterization.

If there are a few or some, maybe...and even then I'll have to take your word for it on all the people supporting non-exportability. I don't live on these forums but I'm here quite often for the past 15 months and I can't say I've seen any groundswell of support for that feature...on any HMX game.

Everyone wants exportability as far as I can see. But if you say you are seeing something different than me, so be it.

I'm sure there are some extreme fanboys that will say anything to defend HMX or the Beatles...but I find the significant majority of people on here to be quite normal level headed folks. This is one of the more enjoyable forums are teh internets, and while the mods wield a strong banhammer of control, it usually is well warranted.
  • psufan1993psufan1993 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    edited September 2009
    This is an enjoyable forum for the most part, and people should be allowed to express themselves in a non-insulting matter, be it good or bad.

I'm not saying lack of exportability is a GOOD thing. I think the fact that we're allowed to have Beatles is a good thing, and if for this one game only it can't be brought over... there's more product in the future I'm sure that'll be transferrable into one big library.

I guess I PERSONALLY (not hounding anybody elses opinions, likes, wants... etc) don't base my game choices on an exportability factor.
  • KingfishKingfish Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Well you can laugh/scoff or whatever this opinion...fanboi me if you like but I am quite happy with the idea of keeping the Beatles and their music IN TB:RB game only.

I am older I guess and I find music to be more reverent than most. Having played both banjo in a bluegrass band and a bass in a metal band my taste in music is a bit eclectic to say the least. I listen to a wide range of music from Old Crow Medicine Show to Pantera and I can find something to appreciate about almost anything in between.

The Beatles were serious musically when they were recording and their passion for their craft/art continues to this day. They are iconic monsters of music perhaps the pinnacle of it and they have the right to protect their music and images as they wish. Those Beatles not alive to fight for themselves have very protective widows and children looking out for them...as they should.

If they don't want their likeness' in a game or if they want to keep their music out of a game for whatever reason that is their right and clearly HMX will respect it.

Personally I don't want to see the "who" or "Amber Alert" singing 'Taxman' OR I don't want to see the Fab Four singing something from Megadeth on the roof-top venue...the thought of any of that makes me ill as it obviously did Apple Corps.
  • bek_____2bek_____2 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    something like this: (it's hilarious, but also a bit disrespectful I think )
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtSqv63LL78

just switch your discs
    edited September 2009
    And what exactly do you find "disrespectful" about that?
  • Ozzie234Ozzie234 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    NathanNRT;3027420 said:
    It wasn't supposed to feel like a Rock Band game it was supposed to feel like its own game
    It feels very much like a Rock Band game to me. A Rock Band game with improved cutscenes & back vids, and a tuned hopo-window + working hopo-chords. Thats it.
  • TracerTracer Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    folkeye;3029263 said:
    Then there's the third type of player.
    1. For the Score.
    2. They love the music.
    3. Care about nothing but quantity of DLC they can grab. RB has spoiled us so far that people expect everything from them.

How EVER did anyone handle when there was nothing but GH1 and GH2 and you had to change disks to play?
    This ruins synergy its not just about shear quantity. When you have to pull the disc, find the new disc (if you have a lot of games this can take a while), wait for the game to load, load the band data, and then finally you can load up the songs you want to play - you have wasted a lot of time and the excitement for playing those next tracks has diminished greatly.

I played GH1 before, and GH2, and often would just decide to quit playing if we decided we wanted to play a song that wasn't on the current disc. That really isn't beneficial to game play, and I'm sure the group of people I play with and myself are not alone on this.
  • bek_____2bek_____2 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    aspushkin;3029706 said:
    A band of Johnny Cashs doing that song. and he is dead and can't stop it.
    he must be spinning at 100000 rpm right now
    edited September 2009
    Tracer;3029793 said:
    This ruins synergy its not just about shear quantity. When you have to pull the disc, find the new disc (if you have a lot of games this can take a while), wait for the game to load, load the band data, and then finally you can load up the songs you want to play - you have wasted a lot of time and the excitement for playing those next tracks has diminished greatly.

I played GH1 before, and GH2, and often would just decide to quit playing if we decided we wanted to play a song that wasn't on the current disc. That really isn't beneficial to game play, and I'm sure the group of people I play with and myself are not alone on this.
    I guess I'm just less picky about what I'm playing and don't have a huge library to sort through to find what I'm looking for. I tend to keep the two games of interest (whatever they happen to be at the time) next to the system. Play one for a while, take a break and continue or play the other.
  • geo2n2geo2n2 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I heartily disagree w/ it either being a a score vs. music thing as to wether or not you like the feel of the game. I don't care about scores, and play for fun, but I prefer the RB "feel". I completely understand the restrictions inherent in using Beatles music, but to me the game feels less "interactive" than RB because of the lack of drums fills and whammy effects. It's more authentic to the music, but just feels less like you're playing it and more like you're playing along. A small price to pay for being able to even have a Beatles game, but to me it takes away a little something.

Also, I'm not a big fan of the bass drum bar animation because it's hard to tell if you're hitting it or not. That makes it feel a little less interactive as well.
  • RoofTopRookieRoofTopRookie Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    i love the game. in fact, after playing the game, it makes the non TB:RB stuff boring
  • cokecancokecan Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Another expert drummer here that feels the game is just lacking for the drummer.. I completely agree that Ringo is a great drummer and a lot of his fills are still a challenge for me but I have no desire to go back and perfect all of the fills because some of the songs are just plain borning for a game. Sitting on the couch and enjoying their music itself is a whole different story, don't get me wrong! I love the band and the music!

I've played the disc through, watched the cool movies, and now I'm ready to go back to RB2.

I'm sure this disc will come out now and again with friends, but very rarely when I'm by myself. Well maybe it will come out when some content I like comes around, but it isn't going to be glued to my 360's dvd tray like RB2 has been.
  • The Hungry SamuraiThe Hungry Samurai Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    aspushkin;3029706 said:
    Ok maybe that wasn't bad but this guy purposefully pushes the limits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UuAoEW5MbI&feature=fvsr

C'mon Kurt Cobain singing Bowie's FAME with a Xbox Avatar, a skeleton, and a scantily clad woman. Why not just give him a Axe Bodyspray T Shirt and a shotgun shaped mic stand.

With the exception of create a character homage's Mo-Cap'ed Celebrity appearances should not be playable out of context of their own work. It cheapens their credability.
  • wb22ruleswb22rules Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    As an old guy who grew up hearing the beatles day in and day out through the 60s, 70s ,80s etc I had gotten to where I really did not care to hear them anymore as I had heard every song 5,000,000 times. But when this game was announced I was psyched to try it out cause I have been having a good time playing RB2 for the last year and it sounded like it would be really cool to play all the classic Beatle tunes I hadnt really heard much in the last 10-20 years due to my own music listening habits. Well I guess I learned a little about why I like RB2 so much, its the challenge of it. After playing the Beatles Rock Band for 2 nights I really am not that enthused about playing it solo anymore, its just generally not that challenging on Guitar, sure there a few songs I cant play on expert over 95% yet, but I hit 4 of the more difficult songs 100% on Hard my first time I played them. I do look forward to having fun with it when guests come over and tossing 3 mikes around and having fun with folks who may not play RB or TBRB all that much. But to be honest I had to quit last night and put in the RB2 disk and play some Stevie Ray to make sure TBRB wasnt being detrimental to my guitar skills. So I kinda understand the threadstarter and some of the other posts, if you are not a Beatles fan and like the challenge of RB2 I can see where after going through the game once or twice it isnt that useful to you anymore. Like I said earlier I expect it will good for parties due to 6 peeps, classic tunes everyone my age knows by heart, and reduced difficulty from RB2. Granted I do not sing or play drums so the difficulty on the vocals may be tough, but for a guitar player like me its not challenging enough. My oldest son plays the drums and likes the challenging stuff, he has not been by since I picked it up but I can allready tell he wont have much of an interest for it once he realizes most of the songs are pretty easy for a drummer who likes a challenge.
    I have no problem with the game being like it is in respect to no character creation, not importing other music etc. The vids and extras for the hardcore Beatles fans are pretty cool I guess, I am just not in the target audience in that respect, but it doesnt bother me.
    At least this game made me realize what I like about RB2, the challenge of playing cool tunes that make you work to get 95% or better on Hard or Expert depending on the songs difficulty. I am not sorry I picked it up, as I do look forward to getting 6 people playing together when company comes over on occasion, but I will be playing RB2 when its just me or me and my son/s playing.
    edited September 2009
    The Hungry Samurai;3030259 said:

With the exception of create a character homage's Mo-Cap'ed Celebrity appearances should not be playable out of context of their own work. It cheapens their credability.
    In what sense does it cheapen their "credibility?" What does "credibility" mean when we are talking about deceased popular music icons? If such a thing as "credibility" exists in this context, in what sense do videos like this "cheapen" it?

Sorry, just having a hard time understanding.