Rickenbacker vs. Gretsch vs. Hofner

OakTeaOakTea Road Warrior
edited September 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
Having bought the Limited Edition bundle, I've only used the Hofner Bass guitar. I've since nearly fallen in love with it (as much as a man can do with a plastic guitar-shaped controller), and want to buy one of the other guitars to go with the Hofner. However, I can't exactly decide.

Aesthetically, I like the body of the Gretsch, and the neck of the Rickenbacker. But the Gretsch's neck would add some variety to them. Overall, I'm leaning towards the Gretsch.

However, there might be some other things that people want to discuss about the guitars, because playability is more important for someone who wants to use them. :p I was just wondering if there is anything I need to know about them that might make them different, and I also figured I'd create a potential discussion thread for discussing the differences between the three guitars :).

Comments

• BruceDickinsonBruceDickinson Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I have the Gretsch and it is awesome. I know thats not a mind blowing assessment and I haven't played with the Rickenbacker but you can't go wrong with the Gretsch IMO.
  • StevoPhiloStevoPhilo Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    They're both really cool guitars. I liked the gretsch mainly cause of the bigsby whammy bar. They're all really cool though. I have the hofner, but if I were to buy another it'd be the gretsch.
  • HeadHunter67HeadHunter67 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    While the Hofner is nice (and performs most reliably of any controller I've used), I have to cast my vote with the Gretsch. I love the look, the feel, the style of it. If ever I've loved a guitar controller, this is the one.
  • FatWilmaFatWilma Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    the Hofner is the first RB guitar i actually enjoy playing. it feels great, and looks even better. not planning on gettin any of the others, but i'm sure they feel nice. the Gretsch just looks too similar to the GH Les Paul for me to be interested. i do like the Rickenbacker and would consider getting it if i was in the market for another plastic guitar. imo, Rickenbackers are the more iconic instrument of The Beatles. they all played them at some point or another, even Paul.
    edited September 2009
    The neck just seems a bit long for comfort on the Hofner, despite the fact that I have long arms. I know that a bass has a longer neck, of course - it's just that I get fatigued quicker with the Hofner than others.
    edited September 2009
    HeadHunter67;3027729 said:
    The neck just seems a bit long for comfort on the Hofner, despite the fact that I have long arms. I know that a bass has a longer neck, of course - it's just that I get fatigued quicker with the Hofner than others.
    i'm sure the Hofner is a bit too long for some people, but i also have long arms so it's a welcome change for me. when i switch to the GH Les Paul after playing the Hofner, it actually feels more strange than switching back the other way. i also play real guitar, so i think the added neck length just feels more natural for me. never thought i'd enjoy playing a RB guitar as much as the Hofner. love it! :D
  • BevoTheWarriorBevoTheWarrior Cow Patty
    edited September 2009
    I feel like I've said this a million times already, but I LOVE my Gretsch. I used to use my GH3 Les Paul controller because I didn't like the feel of the RB controllers. But that all changed with the Gretsch. My Les Paul is now collecting dust in the closet.
  • CCPALACECCPALACE Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    quick question- don't hate. I got GH5 and was disappointed to find out my P-Bass doesn't work with it. Has anyone tried any of the new Beatles instruments with GH5? I'd love to have a real reason to buy the Gretsch or Rick.
    edited September 2009
    CCPALACE;3027938 said:
    quick question- don't hate. I got GH5 and was disappointed to find out my P-Bass doesn't work with it. Has anyone tried any of the new Beatles instruments with GH5? I'd love to have a real reason to buy the Gretsch or Rick.
    that's surprising the P-Bass doesn't work. do u happen to be on PS3? then maybe a lil less surprising... ;)

i only rented GH5 and already returned it, so i don't know for sure, but my guess would be that the Beatles stuff would work with it.
  • CCPALACECCPALACE Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    edited September 2009
    CCPALACE;3028020 said:
    X360. ;)
    well then, i guess not all 3rd party RB controllers work with GH. i'd still bet that the Beatles guitars work with it.
  • drag_racerdrag_racer Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    I couldn't get any, because the bass was limited to pre-ordered bundles, and nobody around here had any PS3 standalone guitars left (they only had Xbox360 and Wii guitars left)
    edited September 2009
    The XBox360 P-Bass didn't work with GH:WT, either.
    However, the TB:RB instruments are basically RB2 guitars in new shells, so they'll surely work with GH, if that's your thing.
  • nicko68nicko68 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I haven't tried the Rickenbaker, but I can tell you I LOVE the Gretsch I bought. I had assumed the jacked up price was purely because it had to do with The Beatles, but this guitar is the best feeling, most solid plastic guitar I have ever played, and worth the extra cash.
  • ShadowChaosControlShadowChaosControl Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    i kinda want wither one of them, but i'm not ready to throw down $100 on a 3rd plastic guitar, i kinda hope my RB2 strat dies so i can have an excuse to get one of those
  • twilight klaastwilight klaas Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    My wife suprised me with the Rickenbacker (it's the one i wanted) for my Birthday, yeah 9/9/9. I love the look of it and the feel. It's body is quite large, so it's closer to a real guitar. The Fret Buttons are super quiet. Unfortunately the strum bar when played with a pick is a little louder than my fender sunburst (RB2). The whammy is really nice. The Rickenbacker feels a little more solid too than RB2 guitar. The back of the neck is rounded and comfy. The playablity on the fret board is super quiet and awesome, Just wish the strum bar wasn't so loud (when played with a pick, or stummed quickly).

I like how the Gretch looks and it probably plays just as well, but I have a real Les Paul, so i wanted something different and more Beatle iconic. May pick up the Hofner Bass to replace my P-bass someday after they release it separately.

Did you guys notice the strum bar being louder than the RB2 guitars when strummed quickly or w/ a pick?
  • DaytrippedDaytripped Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    I have all the guitars, and seriously, I must say, I love...

all of them. They are all equally special in their own way.

*cough*gretsh*cough*
  • ShaggzShaggz Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    twilight klaas;3028609 said:
    My wife suprised me with the Rickenbacker (it's the one i wanted) for my Birthday, yeah 9/9/9. I love the look of it and the feel. It's body is quite large, so it's closer to a real guitar. The Fret Buttons are super quiet. Unfortunately the strum bar when played with a pick is a little louder than my fender sunburst (RB2). The whammy is really nice. The Rickenbacker feels a little more solid too than RB2 guitar. The back of the neck is rounded and comfy. The playablity on the fret board is super quiet and awesome, Just wish the strum bar wasn't so loud (when played with a pick, or stummed quickly).

I like how the Gretch looks and it probably plays just as well, but I have a real Les Paul, so i wanted something different and more Beatle iconic. May pick up the Hofner Bass to replace my P-bass someday after they release it separately.

Did you guys notice the strum bar being louder than the RB2 guitars when strummed quickly or w/ a pick?
    I picked up the Rickenbacker as well.
    I wanted the Gretsch but every place was sold out. and only one local walmart had 2 Rickys left so I snatched one up.
    I like it, more than I thought I would. Can't wait to get the Gretsch to go with it.
    edited September 2009
    That's one thing I have to agree on - these are the quietest guitars I've ever used.
  • JordashebasicsJordashebasics Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    I just started playing the game about 45 minutes ago.

The Hofner is either junk, or auto-calibration doesn't work.
    It seems to drop most of the hammer on notes. It's quiet, but it requires much more force to push buttons down than it should - possibly why the hammer on notes aren't working.

If I can't get it to work well, I may trade it in for something a bit more sturdy and responsive.

I can't even enjoy the game, since it won't stop breaking combo.
  • monkeyfishmonkeyfish Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Jordashebasics;3029564 said:
    I just started playing the game about 45 minutes ago.

The Hofner is either junk, or auto-calibration doesn't work.
    It seems to drop most of the hammer on notes. It's quiet, but it requires much more force to push buttons down than it should - possibly why the hammer on notes aren't working.

If I can't get it to work well, I may trade it in for something a bit more sturdy and responsive.

I can't even enjoy the game, since it won't stop breaking combo.
    I have the Hofner, and it's excellent. Calibrated my game perfect (the one part I was afraid would screw up), and have had no problems other than getting used to a longer neck. The buttons are much quieter than the Strat, but they do seem to take a smidge more energy to push down, thus likely throwing off a few of the more "pro" players and their harder solos. I imagine I'll have it down in a week.
  • SkeleshredderSkeleshredder Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I love my Gretsch. The design has always been a favorite of mine, so I know I'm biased. I'm sure the Rick plays just as well. With either one, you can't go wrong. these are far and away the best plastic guitar controllers ever made!
  • DerTommissarDerTommissar Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Go with the Rickenbacker.

Do it for Captain Eddie.
  • ParkaPalFredParkaPalFred Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I'm definitely loving the Hofner. That little extra length to make the buttons out just that bit further makes everything feel so much nicer to me. That and the indents on the yellow and orange are far more recognizable and useful to me. And of course so much less clicky sounding strum bar.

Granted, I haven't tried the Rickenbacker, as the second guitar I got was the Gretsch, but it just looks like too big a body for me.
  • SkittlesSkittles Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I havent used the Rickenbacker, and as I LOVE the hofner I cant use it without it bringing up the guide every 2 minutes (srsly someone help me with this!)
    so Im going to go with the Gretsch
    edited September 2009
    Is it possible your guide button is just stuck or something?
  • SkittlesSkittles Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    HeadHunter67;3032199 said:
    Is it possible your guide button is just stuck or something?
    Im positive it isnt, and its far from resting on my leg since I never sit down when playing
  • DELTAsnakeDELTAsnake Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I'm getting the Rickenbacker, it's back button location is slightly better for me and since the GHWT controller got me used to hitting the back instead of tilting the guitar I'm going with the Rickenbacker.
  • chumsicleschumsicles Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I'm surprised the Hofner isn't winning this soundly
  • Cpt. OverkillCpt. Overkill (Briefly) Touched by a Banhammer
    edited September 2009
    HeadHunter67;3028347 said:
    The XBox360 P-Bass didn't work with GH:WT, either.
    It worked just fine for me.:confused::confused::confused: