Copyright?

filcool1234filcool1234 Opening Act
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
I think the concept is really cool, but dont you think that people will try to put some real songs from known bands that are not in RB?(Floyd, Zeppelin, etc) Will Harmonix have to approve ALL the songs? If yes, well good luck to them, that has to be the hell of a job...

Comments

• Max2323232Max2323232 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    filcool1234;3037266 said:
    I think the concept is really cool, but dont you think that people will try to put some real songs from known bands that are not in RB?(Floyd, Zeppelin, etc) Will Harmonix have to approve ALL the songs? If yes, well good luck to them, that has to be the hell of a job...
    No, because you need access to their master tracks, which would most likely require permission from the original artist.
  • socrstoprsocrstopr Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    filcool1234;3037266 said:
    You didn't read very much about this, did you :p (I realize there is a *lot* of info, this wasn't meant to be an insult)

You need stems from master tracks to even begin to author a song. From there, it needs to go through peer review on the website, where questions such as 'Does this song contain copyrighted content the author does not have the rights to use' etc etc.

So the answer is no, they won't be putting these songs in.

EDIT: Beat to the punch :p
  • MighedMighed Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    socrstopr;3037279 said:
    You didn't read very much about this, did you :p (I realize there is a *lot* of info, this wasn't meant to be an insult)

You need stems from master tracks to even begin to author a song. From there, it needs to go through peer review on the website, where questions such as 'Does this song contain copyrighted content the author does not have the rights to use' etc etc.

So the answer is no, they won't be putting these songs in.

EDIT: Beat to the punch :p
    So, I actually have the stems to the new Dream Theater album as I purchased them with the special edition of the album, so I could actually chart them then? Right?
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited October 2009
    Mighed;3161094 said:
    So, I actually have the stems to the new Dream Theater album as I purchased them with the special edition of the album, so I could actually chart them then? Right?
    no one can stop you from charting them, but you sure won't be able to get past the review process if you try to upload.
  • socrstoprsocrstopr Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Mighed;3161094 said:
    I suppose you can do whatever you want with them for your own personal use, but you do not own any rights to those songs just like you don't own the rights to the mp3's on a CD you purchase. If you tried to submit that to the store (Not sure if this was what you meant, just throwing it out there) you would probably end up banned from at least the creators club, if not sued by the band / label.
  • kuiosiklekuiosikle Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    To those in the beta: What specific kinds of legal documents are required, and how is proof of them shown when submitting a song?
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited October 2009
    On a related discussing what about songs that sample other songs like lets Beastie Boys whats to put in Rhymin' & Stealin what samples I fought the law the clash, when the leeve Breaks by zeppelin, and sweet lead by black sabbath
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited October 2009
    I think that with samples, if it's something that they had to get permission to use from another artist, then it wouldn't be allowed on RBN.

Instead of having to hire legal people to review everyone's "proof" that they would provide to show that they had rights to a cover (which would be way too much work) HMX just said no covers period. So samples, if they require written permission, probably aren't allowed either.
  • MighedMighed Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    No i wasn't going to upload any DT I chart with the stems, but I would send them to Mike and John, so they can upload them (as Mike is pro RBN) and it would be like an unasked authoring club thing that I did once in a lifetime just for fun :)
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited October 2009
    trg007;3162140 said:
    I think that with samples, if it's something that they had to get permission to use from another artist, then it wouldn't be allowed on RBN.

Instead of having to hire legal people to review everyone's "proof" that they would provide to show that they had rights to a cover (which would be way too much work) HMX just said no covers period. So samples, if they require written permission, probably aren't allowed either.
    This is exactly correct.