Compatibility with future Rock Band titles...

deathmonkeydeathmonkey Road Warrior
edited September 2009 in The Rock Band Network
I just got to thinking the other day about this...

If (maybe it should actually be when) Rock Band 3 and others in the main series come out, what will happen with songs made using the Rock Band Network? And what will happen to the RBN itself? There will no doubt be some added features to future titles, so will those new features be incorporated into the authoring tools? Such as harmonies (if that will even be incorporated into the next iteration of the franchise). There's been talk about how the way harmonies are integrated into The Beatles: Rock Band that it would be technically impossible to put those songs into RB2. But what about future games?

Despite how Blizzivision says you have to redownload all the old DLC and newer versions of the GHWT and GHSH songs (because of all the new features like band moments and party play and such, which I call bull**** on btw but I'm no programmer so I could be wrong), my wish is that HMX has their head in the game and has taken into account stuff like this, and RB3 and beyond will be compatible with all past songs...whether newer features are introduced or not...

Comments

• davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited September 2009
    deathmonkey;3041650 said:
    Despite how Blizzivision says you have to redownload all the old DLC and newer versions of the GHWT and GHSH songs (because of all the new features like band moments and party play and such, which I call bull**** on btw but I'm no programmer so I could be wrong)
    Yep, you're wrong. All of those new features require new event cues in the note chart files. So they do require having to redownload the songs.

But no, there is nothing in the existing authoring tools for RBN that would indicate new features for future games. I have to assume that Harmonix is smarter than to make all existing DLC inoperable with RB3 (or whatever the next game is), so I doubt RBN songs will be incompatible.