why can't you play 3 guitars?

wrongowrongo Unsigned
Why wasn't this set up so you could set up just like the Beatles..ie...two guitars, base, drums, 3 mics........you can only hook up 2 guitars....???

Comments

• rad5brandonrad5brandon Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    The xbox/PS3/Wii controller limit is 4, to my knowledge. So that's why. you can have one person with a dummy guitar and have them act like theyre playing rythym guitar while they sing.
  • DanB91DanB91 Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    probably because 4 note charts at once would make the chart so small that it would be almost unreadable.

also what rad5brandon states (though the PS3 has support for up to 7 players but the other consoles dont)
  • DookieManDookieMan Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    7 is a random number.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited September 2009
    Neither the controller count nor screen space really played into it, according to some answers from HMX staff:
    HMXSlappy;3030303 said:
    Hi everyone --

This is totally a fair question, and we did briefly consider supporting multiple guitar tracks, since The Beatles obviously have two guitarists. I can talk a little bit about why we didn't. Here's why we backed away from this idea:

* From our experience on other Rock Band games. we've learned that a guitar track that combines lead and rhythm parts offers more gameplay variety per song, and is more fun than sticking to any single guitar. This was the main reason.

* Not all Beatles songs feature two complete guitar parts -- or in some cases, any guitar parts -- so if we featured separated guitar parts for all songs, then some players would spend stretches of a song with nothing to do. So this idea would only be useful for some of our songs, not all. This made the idea less appealing.

* If we did separate guitars, we'd probably still want a composite guitar part for when only a single guitarist was involved. This would leave us with three guitar parts to author - composite guitar, lead and rhythm. This triples the amount of parts to build, test, and refine -- giving us less time to make each guitar as fun as it could be, or forcing us to divert resources from related gameplay areas like vocal harmonies. This is a big deal; even a game like TB:RB has to pick and choose where it experiments.

In the end it seemed like this approach would dilute the game's guitar goodness, making each part less fun to play, and giving us less time to polish the game. So we stuck with the proven RB formula.

Thanks -- ChrisF
    HMXSlappy;3037196 said:
    There's one other reason we didn't take this approach that I forgot this in my initial reply. In some cases, guitars were recorded together, and the audio-forensics techniques we used to extract individual instruments from a single recording can't easily distinguish between two guitars. In those cases there is no reliable way to produce separate audio for each guitar.

We wouldn't just author the notes for each instrument as a fallback; we didn't want a situation where people play instruments and can't hear their own individual contributions. At that point I think you end up taking the "music" out of a "music game."

That said, I think the main reason we abandoned this was because so many songs would have had a second part containing long stretches of silence. Our decision was that it wouldn't be as fun for all players in practice as it was in theory.

I say all of this as the person who spent some time considering the merit of this feature during pre-production. I was a big fan of it until I started to work through its limitations. Then I wasn't so much of a fan. :)

Thanks -- ChrisF
  • sublimecat48sublimecat48 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    it wouldnt work consedring some some songs have no guitar or simply dont have to fulness of two guitars. the screen would be mashed up and some songs would be so damm boring to play
  • thefab4thefab4 Unsigned
    edited May 2013
    OK so why not just make duplicate Guitar tracks for each song? Who cares if they are identical? You are only being scored on your performance on your track so in reality all the tracks could be identical, it wouldn't matter. Both guitar tracks would be fun to play, non-playing areas would be eliminated and if only one guitar was being played either track would work for completeness. No extra time would be needed to author another track, simply copy the one already made. Seems like a very simple solution!

As for not being able to "hear your part of the music" that wouldn't matter to me at all. I actually would prefer the games if the music wouldn't "drop out". I prefer to hear the song in its entirety, as it was recorded as I play. I KNOW when I miss notes without hearing them drop out. If I had to choose between 2 guitar parts vs. having the music drop out I would have easily chosen 2 guitar parts.
  • DavidTLynchEsqDavidTLynchEsq Opening Act
    edited May 2013
    The Rock Band series isn't about three guitarists or four drummers playing the exact same thing; it's about each player contributing their part to the song. Hearing your part play/drop out may not matter to you, but to many people that's a major factor in feeling like they're playing the song, and the main thing that separates true Rock Band songs from crappy customs.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited May 2013
    Did you even read a four year old thread before replying with a suggestion that nobody is going to implement anyway even if HMX was still actively supporting it, let alone music/rhythm games like Rock Band?
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited May 2013
    You only have 2 hands?

i know this thread is ancient history and we will all be asked to not necromance the oldies, but my smart-ass self cant help it!
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    edited May 2013
    * Not all Beatles songs feature two complete guitar parts -- or in some cases, any guitar parts -- so if we featured separated guitar parts for all songs, then some players would spend stretches of a song with nothing to do.
    That said, I think the main reason we abandoned this was because so many songs would have had a second part containing long stretches of silence. Our decision was that it wouldn't be as fun for all players in practice as it was in theory.

And yet they still released keys/pro-keys in RB3...
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited May 2013
    LordFlatus;5013179 said:
    And yet they still released keys/pro-keys in RB3...

Over a year later.

BRB was in the works before they started developing RB3. Long before.

And anyway, even if they had supported keys 'properly' in BRB, the point is still valid that players on certain instruments and certain tracks would still 'spend stretches of a song with nothing to do'.
  • Arkham99Arkham99 Unsigned
    edited May 2013
    The pre-song "lobby" all ready gets cluttered sometimes with two guitarists battling over who gets to play bass/guitar which disrupts the flow of a good session, I'd hate to see another guitar part being added to this annoyance, this is probably why you don't see the separate 3-part harmonies being part of the lobbies, the structure of the game is excellent just as it is...:-)
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    edited May 2013
    Santa Claustrophobia;5013182 said:
    Over a year later.

BRB was in the works before they started developing RB3. Long before.

And anyway, even if they had supported keys 'properly' in BRB, the point is still valid that players on certain instruments and certain tracks would still 'spend stretches of a song with nothing to do'.

My comment was about the high number of absolute bore-fest keys songs included in RB3, not about the possibility of including keys in TBRB.

You know, the reasons stated for not doing three guitars are that it would be boring, yet they released RB3 keys that are totally boring with long long stretches of nothing to do.
  • DavidTLynchEsqDavidTLynchEsq Opening Act
    edited May 2013
    The difference is that the keyboard introduced two new gameplay modes and is more immersive than awkwardly strumming and hearing a piano, as opposed to the same thing we've been playing since the first Guitar Hero.
  • edited May 2013
    thefab4;5012777 said:
    OK so why not just make duplicate Guitar tracks for each song? Who cares if they are identical? You are only being scored on your performance on your track so in reality all the tracks could be identical, it wouldn't matter. Both guitar tracks would be fun to play, non-playing areas would be eliminated and if only one guitar was being played either track would work for completeness. No extra time would be needed to author another track, simply copy the one already made. Seems like a very simple solution!

As for not being able to "hear your part of the music" that wouldn't matter to me at all. I actually would prefer the games if the music wouldn't "drop out". I prefer to hear the song in its entirety, as it was recorded as I play. I KNOW when I miss notes without hearing them drop out. If I had to choose between 2 guitar parts vs. having the music drop out I would have easily chosen 2 guitar parts.
    Your perspective seems to be coming from a very game-centric POV of Rock Band and your opinions are certainly valid.

I wont claim to speak for others, but for me... its all about interacting with the music and playing my part in the band. Even though I am a "gamer" it was always the music first for me and Rock Band. All I wanted was more real and they kept on giving it to us.... bloody brilliant.

Its that jump from Arcade Game to Band Simulator that really hit home with me.

Would an optional option to flip on 5 guitar tracks hurt anyone? ...Nah... but I think that Harmonix views the game as a Band Simulator as well and there are just basic truths to maintain to keep that mission on task.

Adding The Beatles into the mix adds even more reasons to keep it on track.

There are games that let that stuff happen, Rock Band just is not one of them.

And do please check your dates on threads and feel free to start a fresh one if the old thread has a foot deep layer of dust on it. ;)