New to RB: Questions

chuckm1961chuckm1961 Unsigned
edited September 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
This is my first Rock Band game.

Questions:

1. What is the advantage of playing songs on harder difficulties? Why not just get Five Stars on Easy or Medium difficulty to move along in Story Mode and unlock all the pictures?

2. I can't remember the name of the screen, but it's outside Story Mode and you can play all the songs and the game remembers your best score. How does it "rank" these scores? In other words, is a crappy low score on Medium BETTER than a great score on Easy?

3. I play games solo a lot. Suggestions to have the most fun with this game as a solo player? Go through story mode playing each different instrument?

Comments

• Victory10Victory10 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    chuckm1961;3046544 said:
    This is my first Rock Band game.

1. What is the advantage of playing songs on harder difficulties? Why not just get Five Stars on Easy or Medium difficulty to move along in Story Mode and unlock all the pictures?

2. I can't remember the name of the screen, but it's outside Story Mode and you can play all the songs and the game remembers your best score. How does it "rank" these scores? In other words, is a crappy low score on Medium BETTER than a great score on Easy?

3. I play games solo a lot. Suggestions to have the most fun with this game as a solo player? Go through story mode playing each different instrument?
    1. The only advantage i can think of is for gold stars , higher scores and some achievements. Otherwise you should play on what difficulty you feel comfortable with.

2. I think you mean quick play mode , it shows your highest score for each song depending on which instrument you are playing.

3. These games are enjoyable as a single player , but the more people the more fun in my opinion.
  • chuckm1961chuckm1961 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Gold stars.... they "get" you nothing, right? They just look pretty and make you feel cool, but they don't unlock anything ....? Is that true?

Same thing with PS3 Trophies, they are cool to get, but they don't unlock any other content in the game?

As far as points, I have not been paying much attention to my point totals. From what you're saying, and I should have noticed this, it sounds like you get MORE POINTS the higher the difficulty setting. Makes sense.... more notes = more points.
  • MexMex Mex Type Thing
    edited September 2009
    Eventually you'll get so good at Easy/Medium you'll want more of a challenge, and move up to Hard/Expert. Not an advantage but it'll be fun. Plus it'll feel more like you're playing the songs. Or that might not interest you at all.

Trophies do not unlock anything, nor do Gold Stars. Just another measurement of your performance.

EDIT: And yes you can get higher scores on higher difficulties. However you might get a better score on Medium than you do on Hard if you're terrible at Hard and keep breaking your streak. As an example.
  • JglaubmanJglaubman Headliner
    edited September 2009
    Voxtar (playing guitar and singing at the same time) makes playing alone way more fun.
  • dark_archondark_archon Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Actually, a few Achievements/Trophies require you to get gold stars, so in a way they unlock those achievements.

Also, I don't understand this 'what's the point if it doesn't unlock anything' thing. You play a game like this to have fun and gradualy become better, and not to unlock things. After a while you get to a point when Easy is not enough, and you try Medium, then Hard and so on... You don't play games just to finish them, you play them for the challenge and enjoyment.
  • skysawskysaw Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    The way the scoring works is actually pretty cool. It almost always comes down to: how many notes can you hit in a row?

While playing on easy or medium makes it easier to keep a streak going, there just aren't as many notes to play. Therefore, the potential score for each song is maximized at the expert level. Your scoring will likely be at its best when you are pushing yourself to your limit, but not beyond.
  • Rich T.Rich T. Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    dark_archon;3046804 said:
    You don't play games just to finish them, you play them for the challenge and enjoyment.
    That's pretty much the most important part. Have fun. This a great, beautifully produced chance to play and interact with some awesome Beatles songs.

If you decide to try RB2, you'll find a lot more to discover as a solo player in the RPG-like tour mode where you create, name, equip and manage your own band. Plus the ever-growing library of downloadable songs for purchase.
    edited September 2009
    dark_archon;3046804 said:
    Also, I don't understand this 'what's the point if it doesn't unlock anything' thing. You play a game like this to have fun and gradualy become better, and not to unlock things.
    I'm not one of those "I just wanna unlock everything" people. I'm simply trying to understand what the game offers in terms of rewards, so I can figure out how I want to play.

By the way, everyone plays games for different reasons. Is that OK with you? Or do we all have to play games the way that YOU decree?
  • EntropyMuEntropyMu Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Once you're able to handle it, every step up in difficulty level is like playing the song newly again- only more engrossing. It's an experience that's worth the effort, but not easily described by points or other game mechanics.
  • InsaneDelightInsaneDelight Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    chuckm1961;3046922 said:

By the way, everyone plays games for different reasons. Is that OK with you? Or do we all have to play games the way that YOU decree?
    Everyone must play it the same way and for the same reason. Sorry.
    edited September 2009
    I know what you mean. I play guitar and piano in RL. As you move up the difficulty ladder, you're asked to play in more and more "realistic" ways. Very cool.

Two more questions:

1) If I both sing and play guitar at the same time, do I need to get Five Stars in BOTH areas to get a five-star, or can I get one of the two and make my five stars?

2) I bought the limited edition pack, with the mic, guitar and drums for Beatles Rock Band. Can I go out and buy Rock Band II (PS3) and use those peripherals to play it? I am hooked!
  • MexMex Mex Type Thing
    edited September 2009
    chuckm1961;3046997 said:
    I know what you mean. I play guitar and piano in RL. As you move up the difficulty ladder, you're asked to play in more and more "realistic" ways. Very cool.

Two more questions:

1) If I both sing and play guitar at the same time, do I need to get Five Stars in BOTH areas to get a five-star, or can I get one of the two and make my five stars?

2) I bought the limited edition pack, with the mic, guitar and drums for Beatles Rock Band. Can I go out and buy Rock Band II (PS3) and use those peripherals to play it? I am hooked!
    1) You need to achieve a good enough score on both.

2) Yes you can use the same instruments. I highly recommend you get RB2.
    edited September 2009
    Mex;3047072 said:
    1) You need to achieve a good enough score on both.

2) Yes you can use the same instruments. I highly recommend you get RB2.
    Thanks. Very helpful. I shall!!
  • MexMex Mex Type Thing
    edited September 2009
    chuckm1961;3047079 said:
    Thanks. Very helpful. I shall!!
    You're welcome! Also, there is a way to import songs from Rock Band 1 into your RB2 setlist for minimal cost. Alot of people will pick up RB1 as well, used or second hand so they can import the songs. Just to beef up the setlist a bit.

And don't forget al the downloadable songs available, I think around 800 or so? Lots of good stuff in there.