Metal

JonnyAtlasJonnyAtlas Unsigned
edited January 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I seriously hope we will be getting some more good Metal once RBN launches. The Metal Track Pack is a joke, and I'm tired of only having handful of good Metal songs to play. :(

Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question, but is there any news of labels like Metal Blade and Roadrunner getting RBN packages? I didn't see many recognizable bands in the "prospective song list" thread. :confused:

Comments

• davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited September 2009
    JonnyAtlas;3051047 said:
    Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question, but is there any news of labels like Metal Blade and Roadrunner getting RBN packages? I didn't see many recognizable bands in the "prospective song list" thread. :confused:
    RBN is not a package that a record label will receive. This is a totally proactive process that the label will have to go after themselves. If they want to submit music to RBN, it's up to them.

There's a ton of great hard rock and metal already in that prospective song list thread, I'd recommend listening to some of the bands, even if you've never heard of them before.

Just remember: Your absolute favorite #1 band was once a band you'd never heard of. :)
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    OP: I think you misunderstand RBN.
  • JonnyAtlasJonnyAtlas Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    back_blows;3051060 said:
    OP: I think you misunderstand RBN.
    Perhaps I do. I was under the impression (based on an extensive article I read in a gaming magazine) that RBN authoring tools were being sent to numerous bands/labels (ie:SubPop) and would be available to the public as well. From that I gathered that there would be a large number of independent and lesser-known artists on RBN, but that there would be a significant handful of familiar artists as well.

Hence my inquiry as to what (if any) metal labels had the tools and would be putting out tracks. Am I way off base here?

And davidshek, thanks for the info. I will be checking out some of the bands I haven't heard of (though they won't make me want to play my favorite bands any less, lol). :)
  • BillyBlaze314BillyBlaze314 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    There is going to be plenty of metal in RBN. Maybe not the particular metal that you're looking for, but with the playable demo that is coming with RBN (you can download the song play 35% of the song for free), you may discover plenty of metal that you never knew you liked.
    edited September 2009
    BillyBlaze314;3051160 said:
    There is going to be plenty of metal in RBN. Maybe not the particular metal that you're looking for, but with the playable demo that is coming with RBN (you can download the song play 35% of the song for free), you may discover plenty of metal that you never knew you liked.
    That's a good start for sure. I'm sure the longer it's around the more there will be. Just read in another thread that Ferret will have most (if not all) their bands on RBN, so that's pretty sweet.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited September 2009
    JonnyAtlas;3051126 said:
    Hence my inquiry as to what (if any) metal labels had the tools and would be putting out tracks. Am I way off base here?
    Right now, RBN is still in closed beta and only a select few groups have the tools at the moment. One of those is www.rhythmauthors.com, who have already put up some preview videos of some songs, several of which happen to be metal.

Once RBN goes into open beta, and from then on out, everyone will have access to the tools on the creators.rockband.com web site.
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited September 2009
    All these br00tal heavy bands added, and yet there isn't one confirmed Black Metal act. My hopes for the RBN will be crushed if there isn't one black metal band available come November.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    didn't relapse records already make a statement expressing disinterest in the RBN because they wouldn't make enough green (as opposed to the big bucks they're apparently making by not participating)?
    edited September 2009
    Oscar-Rio;3051374 said:
    All these br00tal heavy bands added, and yet there isn't one confirmed Black Metal act. My hopes for the RBN will be crushed if there isn't one black metal band available come November.
    QTF.
    afterstasis;3051393 said:
    didn't relapse records already make a statement expressing disinterest in the RBN because they wouldn't make enough green (as opposed to the big bucks they're apparently making by not participating)?
    LOL! Why do we not have a ROFL smilie here?

Anyway, I hope that's not the case. Being able to play some Dillinger would be epic. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised to find out if it were.
  • GodeaterGodeater Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Cradle! Cradle! Cradle!
  • Fragory123Fragory123 Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    Godeater;3052741 said:
    Cradle! Cradle! Cradle!
    Not black metal.
  • destruction3402destruction3402 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Yeah! I really hope there will be some black metal available in RBN.
    I have emailed some labels that signs black metal bands, but none have answered yet.
    edited September 2009
    like i told oscar, i've contacted some BM bands, but most seem very adamant about keeping their music out of these games, which is understandable.

also, i play non-traditional BM (as well as BM-influenced non-metal) in several projects of my own and i'll be submitting some material in the future (probably next year).

i'm sure at least a few other bands will step up to the plate, though i wouldn't expect to see a lot.
    edited September 2009
    afterstasis;3051393 said:
    Indeed, they responded me with this letter:

"Hi Mikael,

Thanks for the form letter. Pls ask Rock Band to work out a more fair and balanced payment deal for labels/artists and we’re all about it.

Kind regards"
    :(
    That's sad, as they have many good grindcore and death metal bands with them
    edited September 2009
    destruction3402;3053357 said:
    "Thanks for the form letter. Pls ask Rock Band to work out a more fair and balanced payment deal for labels/artists and we’re all about it."
    Ugh...so much for my hopes of getting some Pig Destroyer in RBN :(
    edited September 2009
    yeah, relapse has put out some good stuff in the past...
    i'm actually surprised they're being so seemingly stingy, considering they sent me promo material for years after i stopped reviewing it for my friend's zine.
    edited September 2009
    afterstasis;3053498 said:
    yeah, relapse has put out some good stuff in the past...
    i'm actually surprised they're being so seemingly stingy, considering they sent me promo material for years after i stopped reviewing it for my friend's zine.
    Scott Hull, the guitarist for Pig Destroyer, is my brother's next door neighbor...met him back in August and told him all about RBN. He seemed pretty excited about it and said he'd talk to Relapse. I guess they told him no. :(
    edited September 2009
    davidshek;3053522 said:
    Scott Hull, the guitarist for Pig Destroyer, is my brother's next door neighbor...met him back in August and told him all about RBN. He seemed pretty excited about it and said he'd talk to Relapse. I guess they told him no. :(
    it always bums me out to hear about bands wanting to do something along the lines of this, but not being able to because of their label. :(

i can't say i'm a fan of pig destroyer, but i know they have a lot of fans who would also love to see them hit the RBN.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited September 2009
    davidshek;3053522 said:
    They can't do it anyway? Damn.
  • iruhlmaniruhlman Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    OP,

You can bet some of us that await the tools to bring music to the masses, are currently behind the scenes laying down blistering metalized guitar tracks in a Pro Tools home studio environment =)
    edited September 2009
    davidshek;3053522 said:
    That's AWESOME! Pig Destroyer was one of the bands that pushed me to contact relapse in the first place! :)
    I'm a fan of his other band, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, too, but most of their songs are so short, maybe too short to be enjoyable in Rock Band.
  • FurinaxFurinax Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Does this mean that we will not see more Mastodon in RBN or as regular dlc?

Hint: Mastodon are under Relapse Records...
    edited September 2009
    Furinax;3054534 said:
    Does this mean that we will not see more Mastodon in RBN or as regular dlc?

Hint: Mastodon are under Relapse Records...
    the negotiations for regular DLC are different than those for the RBN, so i wouldn't say that's necessarily the case.
    edited September 2009
    LuigiHann;3053855 said:
    They can't do it anyway? Damn.
    Not if the label owns the publishing rights for the songs :(
    destruction3402;3054332 said:
    That's AWESOME! Pig Destroyer was one of the bands that pushed me to contact relapse in the first place! :)
    I'm a fan of his other band, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, too, but most of their songs are so short, maybe too short to be enjoyable in Rock Band.
    Heh yeah, AN songs are pretty dang short. Plus all of those records were released under Relapse too, so no go there.

Scott joked about using some of his other music, but I'm pretty sure that "AC" (not going to type out the band name here) would be a bit too offensive for RBN anyway. :D
    afterstasis;3054541 said:
    the negotiations for regular DLC are different than those for the RBN, so i wouldn't say that's necessarily the case.
    Exactly. Relapse's issue appears to be with the pay structure for RBN songs. The regular DLC releases are an entirely different animal altogether.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited September 2009
    davidshek;3057834 said:
    Not if the label owns the publishing rights for the songs :(
    Re-records time!
  • KoolkittiesKoolkitties Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    davidshek;3051058 said:
    RBN is not a package that a record label will receive. This is a totally proactive process that the label will have to go after themselves. If they want to submit music to RBN, it's up to them.

There's a ton of great hard rock and metal already in that prospective song list thread, I'd recommend listening to some of the bands, even if you've never heard of them before.

Just remember: Your absolute favorite #1 band was once a band you'd never heard of. :)
    Unless they're the monkees.
  • GaembeshGaembesh Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    O_O

I E-mailed the band Celesty and got them interested... They're going to see what can be done about getting their music on the network.

They are the best metal band EVAR!!! OMG, OMG, OMG!!!

I'd probably cry in happiness if they added Empty Room, Legacy of Hate (Part 3) and Dark Emotions =')

WINWINWINWINWIN!!! OMG, SO MUCH WIIIIN!!!!

/is excited
  • PastadudePastadude Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    I actually am semi-satisfied with the metal selection so far. I of course wouldn't MIND more but so far there's some amazing tracks. Kicks GH's ass.
  • joescorpionjoescorpion Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    i hope voivod puts some of there songs into the network
  • joescorpionjoescorpion Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    I just emailed Rody walker from protest the hero and he said he might be interested in putting some songs on the RBN. That would be so awesome.