The Beatles: Rock Band 2? Quite a possibility (IMO).

RMThompsonRMThompson Opening Act
edited August 2012 in The Beatles: Rock Band
So, given the first week sales of The Beatles Rock Band, I think there is a possibility of HMX creating a sequel for the game.

The game is on pace to outsell Rock Band 2, or at least come close, and the strong Wii sales indicate that the older/casual set have bought into the game completely.

Many of these players will not have the ability, know how, or want to go online to download new songs. Therefore Harmonix is going to want to capitalize on these players by releasing the DLC on disc. They could, and might, do that via a Beatles Track Pack, which would be a great idea. They could feasibly sell each album seperately for about the same price as the DLC, perhaps a price point of $19.99.

However, as we all know, many of the BEST songs from The Beatles career is still missing, even AFTER the release of the three announced DLC albums. Hey Jude, Help, Penny Lane, all these songs will STILL be missing from the catalogue.

Harmonix has been tight lipped on their DLC plans after this year for the game. While surely they might not want to announce too much in order to capitalize on sales now (some people won't download one album if their favorite is coming 6 months from now), they would be silly NOT to release at least the majority of the major releases.

So, what does that mean? Well, we either get a TON of DLC, which would seem a good possibility, OR we see a second release; The Beatles 2.

They could release another large portion of the career, including the songs that were passed over the first time. They could even create new instruments, although that seems unlikely.

So it might seem like a pipe dream, but what do YOU guys think?

Comments

• T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    How can you do a sequel when you've already got three albums worth of content coming via DLC?
  • HeadHunter67HeadHunter67 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    RMThompson;3055620 said:
    II too would rather have DLC... but a LARGE portion of this particular audience won't be willing to do DLC. These are people without wireless internet connections in their home or have no idea how to do something like that.
    Well... they're going to have to learn sometime. We're talking about two separate groups of people here:

1) People with internet capability for their consoles, who know how to use it and buy DLC.
    2) People who don't play online and neither know nor care about DLC.

The second group may be larger, but the first group is large enough to make DLC feasible. It's never been a problem with RB to date, why would it be an issue now?

Not to mention, even if the people in group 2 got internet for their consoles, they either still wouldn't care about DLC (in which case they're not the target audience for the product) or they'd change their desire to buy (and effectively move into group 1).

A track pack is not going to be a feasible option here. I don't think the Beatles want to go that way, I don't think people will buy it in sufficient numbers to justify making it, and I don't think HMX wants to invest time and money into something that will be in a markdown bin months from now.

Let's hope we don't see a Beatles Track Pack on clearance next to the AC/DC ones. :rolleyes:
  • dabrry0523dabrry0523 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    RMThompson;3055620 said:
    I guess you are all missing the point. I too would rather have DLC... but a LARGE portion of this particular audience won't be willing to do DLC. These are people without wireless internet connections in their home or have no idea how to do something like that.

Besides, their is no reason to do another engine... it's the same game with different songs. There is still PLENTY of Beatles memorbilia to throw into the game, or it could start later in the career and cover the beginning of the solo careers.
    still with what your saying they still don't have to put out a TBRB2 all they would and probably will do is put of track packs like they do for the regular rock band (Classic rock track Pack, Country Track pack)
  • mva5580mva5580 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    HeadHunter67;3055759 said:
    Well... they're going to have to learn sometime. We're talking about two separate groups of people here:

1) People with internet capability for their consoles, who know how to use it and buy DLC.
    2) People who don't play online and neither know nor care about DLC.

The second group may be larger, but the first group is large enough to make DLC feasible. It's never been a problem with RB to date, why would it be an issue now?

Not to mention, even if the people in group 2 got internet for their consoles, they either still wouldn't care about DLC (in which case they're not the target audience for the product) or they'd change their desire to buy (and effectively move into group 1).

A track pack is not going to be a feasible option here. I don't think the Beatles want to go that way, I don't think people will buy it in sufficient numbers to justify making it, and I don't think HMX wants to invest time and money into something that will be in a markdown bin months from now.

Let's hope we don't see a Beatles Track Pack on clearance next to the AC/DC ones. :rolleyes:
    I agree with this; it makes the most sense. Just stick with the DLC and "complete" the current game as much as humanly possible. It's great to imagine the accomplishment they could achieve by releasing every album. It would be a true encyclopedia of music for the greatest band of all time and presented in a way that will be hard to beat for many music games to come.
  • KingfishKingfish Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    The only way I could see a TB:RB2 is if they set it up as an upgrade/expansion to the current TB:RB. It would give us another 40-45 songs, maybe all the ones with keyboard/harmonica type stuff. Two or three new venues and a butt load of new dreamscapes.

But I personally don't think this will happen. I just don't see the Beatles and Apple Corps signing up for a continuation of the game. If there is a 2 then why not 3 or 4 even! If there is a TB:RB2 it will be like someone said, for the NEXT next gen...

I do hope tho that the great response and sales will give HMX the clout to get 99% of the Beatles discography out on DLC. It would also be great to have some new live venues, Candlestick Park, The London Paladium or the Hollywood Bowl. More dreamscapes too of course and maybe even the Star-Club in Hamburg for another intimate venue for the early stuff and covers.

Oh well, just dreaming I guess...
  • ValiantPaulValiantPaul Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I'll buy every DLC they release for this game...as long as they stick to releasing the full albums and complete the collection. Maybe even little avatar thingies.
  • MostSpartan14MostSpartan14 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I couldn't see this happening. Even though I could easily think of 45 more songs I would love to have, it's a little tougher to get 45 more songs that are mostly popular, fun to play, and that equally represent their song library (this is not including songs that are already announced as DLC). It could be done, but there would be a lot of boring songs, deeper cuts, or too many songs focused on one part of their career. If there aren't enough good songs, people won't want to buy the game.
  • edited September 2009
    Yes there are good songs not yet released, but 45+ of them? I don't see it.
  • HyeJinx1984HyeJinx1984 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    We MAY get track packs, I highly doubt we'd get a sequel. Don't really need one.
  • RMThompsonRMThompson Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Here's 36 right now that would work off the top of my head that aren't released currently, nor slated to be released in DLC. Not saying that this makes it anymore feasible, but just showing how diverse their career REALLY is:

Love Me Do
    She Loves You
    Please Please Me
    All My Loving
    Till There Was You
    Please Mister Postman
    Everybody's Trying to be my Baby
    If I fell
    And I Love Her
    Anytime At all
    Help!
    You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
    I've just seen a Face
    Yesterday
    I'm Down
    We Can Work It out
    Rain
    I'm Only Sleeping
    Good Day Sunshine
    Doctor Robert
    Got to Get you Into My Life
    Strawberry Fields Forever
    Penny Lane
    Baby Your a Rich Man
    Ob-la-Di-Ob-la-Da
    Happiness is a Warm Gun
    Blackbird
    Rocky Raccoon
    Revolution 1 (original version, not the single)
    Lady Madonna
    Hey Jude
    Let it Be
    Across The Universe
    You know My Name (Look up the Number)
    One after 909
    The Long and Winding Road
  • californicationcalifornication Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I'd rather just get DLC.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited September 2009
    They could do exportable track packs based on albums, or sets of albums. But there's not really room or need for a second Beatles game on this generation of hardware. Maybe five years from now
  • GranndGrannd Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I don't see where there needs to be a Beatles 2 when DLC and on-disc Track packs will cover both those with and without an internet connection.

On the other hand, releasing TBRB2 in a year holding Help and Hey Jude exclusively, together with a DLC and TBRB1 import function would probably sell great too.
    It could be a great profitmaker, but I think Harmonix will settle on DLC and most probably there will be track packs for those without an internet connection.
  • DerTommissarDerTommissar Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Want to know if there would be a TB 2? Two words would answer that:

Third guitar.

If HMX could get that going, I'd bet they could eventually reboot this game. However, you'd either have to repurchase every song currently available, or play them with only 2 guitars.

If they could do that, they could easily redo a story mode with more venues and dreamscapes and so forth to pretty the game up further.
  • DiyomaroDiyomaro Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I don't see The Beatles: Rock Band 2 happening honestly. MAYBE a track pack, but I see that as unlikely as well. They just need to pump out DLC. I wanna play Penny Lane, Hey Jude, and Help! already!!!
  • JB392JB392 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I would love\buy more DLC but for people without DLC maybe track packs could be a good idea.
  • tcole6tcole6 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    RMThompson;3056521 said:
    Here's 36 right now that would work off the top of my head that aren't released currently, nor slated to be released in DLC. Not saying that this makes it anymore feasible, but just showing how diverse their career REALLY is:

Love Me Do
    She Loves You
    Please Please Me
    All My Loving
    Till There Was You
    Please Mister Postman
    If I fell
    And I Love Her
    Anytime At all
    Help!
    I've just seen a Face
    Yesterday
    I'm Down
    We Can Work It out
    Rain
    I'm Only Sleeping
    Good Day Sunshine
    Doctor Robert
    Penny Lane
    Baby Your a Rich Man
    Ob-la-Di-Ob-la-Da
    Happiness is a Warm Gun
    Blackbird
    Rocky Raccoon
    Lady Madonna
    Hey Jude
    Let it Be
    Across The Universe
    One after 909
    Good work...nice list.
  • elfreakoelfreako Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    RMThompson;3056521 said:

Love Me Do
    She Loves You
    Please Please Me
    All My Loving
    Till There Was You
    Please Mister Postman
    If I fell
    And I Love Her
    Anytime At all
    Help!
    I've just seen a Face
    Yesterday
    I'm Down
    We Can Work It out
    Rain
    I'm Only Sleeping
    Good Day Sunshine
    Doctor Robert
    Penny Lane
    Baby Your a Rich Man
    Ob-la-Di-Ob-la-Da
    Happiness is a Warm Gun
    Blackbird
    Rocky Raccoon
    Lady Madonna
    Hey Jude
    Let it Be
    Across The Universe
    One after 909
    I doubt they can sell that list as a game and make more $$$ off of it than they would with DLC. Half of those songs are unknown to casual Beatles listeners. They make a lot more on DLC since it's more expensive and involves little cost.

Then consider the risk of a sequel not selling well. The financial consequences would be pretty severe. DLC on the other hand involves no risk whatsoever. A song doesn't sell well? So what! It didn't cost much to have it available in the first place, they already have access to most of their discography.

Maybe a track pack of 20 songs already available as DLC makes sense, but a full game? They need to move on to other projects.
  • dragonflyrdragonflyr Rising Star
    edited September 2009
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited September 2009
    samjjones;3055715 said:
    Track packs likely.
    This. I can see individual albums being sold as SKUs at some point, or anthology track packs, e.g. The Beatles '62-'64 Track Pack (Featuring the Please Please Me and With the Beatles songs not already on-disc, and singles from those years). Plenty of material to mine, the venues already chosen, badda-bing, badda-bang, badda-boom.

I'd think later albums would have to be more cherry-picked for group play (Although Revolution 9 would be kinda funky on its own).
  • AndyyAndyy Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    I genuinelly see it too, in fact at the end of the game all I could think was "Man, this game deserves a sequel" and would explain why its so short!

As a side note, I'm watching friends, the one where Phoebe meets David (the scientist) and breaks him up from his best friend, and the friend refers to Phoebe as "Yoko", just thought that was a huge coincidence.
  • AndyyAndyy Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    elfreako;3057140 said:
    I doubt they can sell that list as a game and make more $$$ off of it than they would with DLC. Half of those songs are unknown to casual Beatles listeners. They make a lot more on DLC since it's more expensive and involves little cost.

Then consider the risk of a sequel not selling well. The financial consequences would be pretty severe. DLC on the other hand involves no risk whatsoever. A song doesn't sell well? So what! It didn't cost much to have it available in the first place, they already have access to most of their discography.

Maybe a track pack of 20 songs already available as DLC makes sense, but a full game? They need to move on to other projects.
    I personally don't see why Harmonix should, The Beatles are almost indisputably the best band ever, and made such a good job of TB:RB. Also it sold surprisingly well, and the world sat up and took notice of HMX for the first time I'd say, in Britain one of the Tabloid newspapers had a whole 4 page pull out dedicated to the game. Thats pretty high profile.
    edited September 2009
    Ok here is a quick list of songs from the early years up to Revolver (minus Rubber Soul cause we know its coming).

See if there are a few songs in there that could/would/should sell on their own. *NOTE; tho this is called a squeal I am more calling this a major expansion and not a real standalone. Also, I threw it together quick and if I missed something, oh well. Tracks in chronological order of UK releases;

1 Misery
    2 Anna (Go to Him)
    3 Chains
    4 Ask Me Why
    5 Please Please Me
    6 Love Me Do
    7 P.S. I Love You
    8 Baby It's You
    9 A Taste of Honey
    10 There's a Place
    11 It Won't Be Long
    12 All I've Got to Do
    13 All My Loving
    14 Don't Bother Me
    15 Little Child
    16 Till There Was You
    17 Please Mr. Postman
    18 Roll Over Beethoven
    19 Hold Me Tight
    20 You Really Got a Hold on Me
    21 Devil in Her Heart
    22 Not a Second Time
    23 Money (That's What I Want)
    24 I Should Have Known Better
    25 If I Fell
    26 I'm Happy Just to Dance with You
    27 And I Love Her
    28 Tell Me Why
    29 Any Time at All
    30 I'll Cry Instead
    31 Things We Said Today
    32 When I Get Home
    33 You Can't Do That
    34 I'll Be Back
    35 No Reply
    36 I'm a Loser
    37 Baby's in Black
    38 Rock and Roll Music
    39 I'll Follow the Sun
    40 Mr. Moonlight
    41 Kansas City/Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey
    42 Words of Love
    43 Honey Don't
    44 Every Little Thing
    45 I Don't Want to Spoil the Party
    46 What You're Doing
    47 Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby
    48 Help!
    49 The Night Before
    50 You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
    51 I Need You
    52 Another Girl
    53 You're Going to Lose That Girl
    54 Act Naturally
    55 It's Only Love
    56 You Like Me Too Much
    57 Tell Me What You See
    58 I've Just Seen a Face
    59 Yesterday
    60 Dizzy Miss Lizzy
    61 For No One
    62 Eleanor Rigby
    63 I'm Only Sleeping
    64 Love You To
    65 Here, There and Everywhere
    66 She Said She Said
    67 For No One
    68 Doctor Robert
    69 I Want to Tell You
    70 Got to Get You Into My Life
    71 Good Day Sunshine
    edited September 2009
    elfreako;3057140 said:

You know it seems that only fans of this forum seem to think that Harmonix is like a collection of movie directors that can only be working on so many projects at a time. Surely they have thier creative leads, but truthfully, if they WANTED to be working on RB3 right now and Beatles 2 and Lego RB 2 and whatever else they wanted... they could.

Besides, it seems that The Beatles might outsell the previous RB games... Harmonix doesn't owe us any new projects, they are there to sell games, make money.
    edited September 2009
    Agreed RMT!

And the special thing about TB:RB I think the DLC sales are a lock! 1 mil TB:RB = 900,000+ of each DLC released.

You can't say that about RB2. If they release a DLC song in RB2 its virtually guaranteed that a quarter will hate it, a quarter will love it and half will not give a ratsass about it. The Beatles offer a little more, respect/love whatever.
    edited September 2009
    Kingfish;3057363 said:
    Agreed RMT!

And the special thing about TB:RB I think the DLC sales are a lock! 1 mil TB:RB = 900,000+ of each DLC released.

You can't say that about RB2. If they release a DLC song in RB2 its virtually guaranteed that a quarter will hate it, a quarter will love it and half will not give a ratsass about it. The Beatles offer a little more, respect/love whatever.
    I don't know if it's a 90% turnover but sure it's going to be higher than the regular RB2 releases. There are still going to be lots of people who simply don't/won't/can't download additional content.
  • nicko68nicko68 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I think a sequel would make them look really bad, like they are going to the well again. I'd sooner see another band focused game done with the care this one was.

Now if they wanted to do a Track Pack based on a possibly stripped down B:RB engine, that would be different.
  • HerrSchwarzHerrSchwarz Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    The only way I think a sequel would be feasible is if it is centered on the solo careers. Baring that, HMX should just focus on bringing out DLC for as much of the catalog as they are allowed.
  • RockBandoleerRockBandoleer Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Wings, McCartney, Lennon, Harrison, Starr? Great follow-up game.

More Beatles in a Bealtes 2?

Ummmm, no.
  • elfreakoelfreako Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    RMThompson;3057329 said:
    You know it seems that only fans of this forum seem to think that Harmonix is like a collection of movie directors that can only be working on so many projects at a time. Surely they have thier creative leads, but truthfully, if they WANTED to be working on RB3 right now and Beatles 2 and Lego RB 2 and whatever else they wanted... they could.

Besides, it seems that The Beatles might outsell the previous RB games... Harmonix doesn't owe us any new projects, they are there to sell games, make money.
    This is my last post in here, as you're obviously one of those who loves to read whatever they want to in anything.

The Beatles Rock Band is fantastic, and it offers a great opportunity to engage even more profit with DLC. It does not, however, offers much potential for a sequel. Therefore, HMX, as a business, need to start thinking about "what's next" instead of "how do we milk the Beatles even more after releasing the DLC albums". Succesful businesses move forward, not in circles.

What the hell does that have to do with available resources? Don't bother...