Only for Xbox?

Death50Death50 Road Warrior
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
Sorry if this has been asked or covered, but is it really only for the xbox and will songs only be downloadable to the xbox?

If so... no disrespect Harmonix but seriously that's bullcrap

Comments

• guitarheromastaguitarheromasta Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    Songs will be uploaded via xbox.

In addition, all songs that are uploaded and pass the review process will be downloadable via xbox.

Select songs will be transferred to the PS3 and Wii systems. However, it is believed that all songs will be made available to the Wii and PS3 unless the artists/record labels make it Xbox exclusive.
  • Death50Death50 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    guitarheromasta;3056736 said:
    Songs will be uploaded via xbox.

In addition, all songs that are uploaded and pass the review process will be downloadable via xbox.

Select songs will be transferred to the PS3 and Wii systems. However, it is believed that all songs will be made available to the Wii and PS3 unless the artists/record labels make it Xbox exclusive.
    Thanks for the quick reply and good information.

So now my question is why is it all ways Xbox? I'm happy with my PS3 and everything and don't have the money to get an Xbox (even if I wanted to) but is there some deal with Microsoft or something? It's seriously sometimes upsetting to see all this Xbox only stuff
  • guitarheromastaguitarheromasta Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    The reason Xbox is chosen is because of its capabilities.

Xbox is the only game console right now that has the abilities to do such a thing as RBN. PS3 nor Wii has the program(s) required to upload songs and put them up for review, testing, etc.

I would love to be involved in the peer review process as well, but I can't (PS3 user also). It's unfortunate that PS3 and the Wii don't have to program capabilities the the Xbox 360 does.
    edited September 2009
    guitarheromasta;3056760 said:
    The reason Xbox is chosen is because of its capabilities.

Xbox is the only game console right now that has the abilities to do such a thing as RBN. PS3 nor Wii has the program(s) required to upload songs and put them up for review, testing, etc.

I would love to be involved in the peer review process as well, but I can't (PS3 user also). It's unfortunate that PS3 and the Wii don't have to program capabilities the the Xbox 360 does.
    I myself don't really believe that (don't want to anyway). I think it was some sort of paid deal... smells to fishy to me, I can see it being that was the case for the Wii (already has enough problems with DLC) but the PS3 really? I just don't buy it... I think the bottem line was a pay off
  • ScapegoatScapegoat Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Death50;3056785 said:
    I myself don't really believe that (don't want to anyway). I think it was some sort of paid deal... smells to fishy to me, I can see it being that was the case for the Wii (already has enough problems with DLC) but the PS3 really? I just don't buy it... I think the bottem line was a pay off
    That's some good reasoning there.

I suggest when you grow up you pursue a career in politics rather than science.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited September 2009
    Death50;3056785 said:

There's a user program called XNA on xbox that allows people such as ourselves to create and distribute our own home made games that people can vote on, play, and buy(if they are good enough).

THAT(XNA), is what allows Rock Band Network to exist on 360.

PS3 and Wii have no such tools on their systems(yet), which is why the creation, voting, and community aspects of Rock Band Network aren't possible for them.

HMX said they are working closely with them (most noteably Sony, as I'm not too sure how they could get this going on the Wii), to get a similar structure up and running on the other systems, but it will be a while(if at all).

As stated they will release the most popular songs on the other systems for download, but there will be no creation and uploading aspect of it for the time being for the other two systems.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited September 2009
    Death50;3056747 said:
    So now my question is why is it all ways Xbox? I'm happy with my PS3 and everything and don't have the money to get an Xbox (even if I wanted to) but is there some deal with Microsoft or something? It's seriously sometimes upsetting to see all this Xbox only stuff
    You have a friend who's being pursued by two reasonably hot members of the anatomical gender/orientation of their choice, one of who is high-maintenance and a bit of a pain to deal with, and the other one who is more open and generous. Even if you found the former more attractive, are you gonna blame your friend for choosing the latter?
  • edited September 2009
    Death50;3056729 said:
    no disrespect Harmonix but seriously that's bullcrap
    :( ohs nos

Seriously, if we could have a fully functioning RBN on PS3 we would. It is something we're still looking into and hope to bring to all of you in the future.
  • tcole6tcole6 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    It doesn't hurt that M$ provides the packaging software either :)

I can definitely see an XBox in my near future specifically for this capability. I've played in bands for 20 years and between myself and friends we probably have over 100 songs. We've got to find 1 or 2 good ones in there somewhere to produce...
  • iruhlmaniruhlman Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Death50;3056785 said:
    It's honestly really sad the overall (PS3 users) feel this way. You honestly think MS paid money for this? Step back and second and please consider everything MS and Xbox have brought to the table this generation. Theres a reason COD4 has seen nearly 11 million "unique users" on Xbox Live. Everyone constantly throws them under the bus and then they drag down developers like HMX and others with them. THAT to me is what is BS. XNA has been up and running for a few years now and brought over 400 indie games to the system. Some have pulled in 1,000's of dollars. Why wouldn't HMX use a tried and true system thats already in place? Pretty smart if you ask me.

I read on here in multiple threads that Sony charges developers for space on the PSN. WIth the Rock Band Network being able to upload 10 songs a day? Seems that could add up quickly. It's things like this and probably a few others that factor it to the actual decision and made it a no brainer to choose XNA.

Also consider this has been in the works for over a year. Sony & Nintendo probably could of put something together in that time but I'm guessing them getting the "select tracks" each month is just fine with both parties.
  • edited September 2009
    Death50;3056785 said:
    Nope. You'd be wrong. We'd love for this to come to all systems but in the present only Xbox has the XNA system (or anything liek it) that would make any of this project possible.
  • GlassPrisonerGlassPrisoner Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I've been saying this for years: Xbox is for people who like video games. PS3 is for people who want to watch Blu-Rays.

I've been proven right time and again.
  • KolyeneKolyene Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    iruhlman;3057271 said:
    It's honestly really sad the overall (PS3 users) feel this way. You honestly think MS paid money for this?.
    It's not a far leap of logic with all the other things Microsoft has paid to get exclusive this gen. MS is pretty much close to scum with the way they buy out developers for content this gen, imo. Prior to this gen, if things weren't available on one platform over the other, it was due to developer choice or publisher dictate (Nintendo censorship), not the platform holder handing over a bundle of $100 bills to developers to secure support for their borderline defective console and keep it's sales high.
  • GlassPrisonerGlassPrisoner Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Kolyene;3057956 said:
    It's not a far leap of logic with all the other things Microsoft has paid to get exclusive this gen. MS is pretty much close to scum with the way they buy out developers for content this gen, imo. Prior to this gen, if things weren't available on one platform over the other, it was due to developer choice or publisher dictate (Nintendo censorship), not the platform holder handing over a bundle of $100 bills to developers to secure support for their borderline defective console and keep it's sales high.
    Well, that's not what happened in this case.
    edited September 2009
    Kolyene;3057956 said:

Wow did we forget the PS2 and all its exclusives all ready?
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited September 2009
    Kolyene;3057956 said:
    It's not a far leap of logic with all the other things Microsoft has paid to get exclusive this gen.
    It's a completely huge leap of logic, considering how open HMX has been in saying from Day 1 of the RBN announcement that it is being released like this due to limitations of the other console's networks and available development platforms (or lack thereof).

They've been saying that from the very beginning. The only way to make the leap of logic to "MS paid for it to be exclusive" is to assume that all of the HMX developers have been lying to you in some sort of super-secret MS/HMX conspiracy.

That's what we call "far fetched". :)
  • DanB91DanB91 Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    guitarheromasta;3056736 said:

Select songs will be transferred to the PS3 and Wii systems.
    As far as I have heard RBN is not coming on the Wii. (There's no way it could)
    edited September 2009
    DanB91;3058376 said:
    As far as I have heard RBN is not coming on the Wii. (There's no way it could)
    Read his post again. Select songs will be transferred to the Wii and PS3. Meaning that HMX will pick some songs, probably the best-selling ones, and manually insert them into the Wii and PS3 Music Stores. This does not require the full RBN to come to the Wii.
  • DesiredFXDesiredFX Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    While this is a civilized one, does it always have to be about console wars?

Simply stated, Microsoft provided something Sony didn't in terms of network capability. That's it.

The problem is that people who still feel stung by HMX' choice to make RB2 a 360 exclusive for a month or so last year think there must be some kind of shady dealing involved.

For those of you who doubt that this is a technology thing, can you imagine how much money it would take for Microsoft to convince Harmonix not to release thousands of songs on another platform? I'm not sure even Bill Gates has pockets that deep.

(And for those who are wondering, I'm an avid PS3er, and I'm honestly struggling with the fact that I have to get a 360 to participate in this as a developer.)
  • iruhlmaniruhlman Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Kolyene;3057956 said:
    we all have opinions - we all have platforms we prefer for various reasons, no need to call anyone names. But to me given what Xbox has provided "me" the gamer with this generation, A unified online system - reward program (achievements), great triple A titles, tons of DLC content, etc. seems most developers are approaching MS/Xbox (Square - Kojimo for example - or maybe MS went after them? i don't know, point is they got em) and then asking themselves, how can we innovate our game ideas on this platform, case in point HMX & Rock Band Network.
    edited September 2009
    I'm sure this is being considered or has come up in discussions, but Sony does have the Little Big Planet "Play, Create, Share" paradigm which it seems could be adaptable into something that could support RBN. Through the design in LBP, users can vote on the work of others and can communicate while playing the game. The big blockade (and it's a big one) is that there's no fiscal structure in place within the paradigm: you can get extras for LBP, but you have to buy them on the Playstation Store, and thus they need to be created/uploaded by Sony developers rather than users/players.

Any opinions of this? Or is XNA so completely different from the platform used for LBP that it's not even worth considering?

Interestingly, while researching this post, I came across this article, which says LBP and Sony are currently well ahead of XBL in terms of providing similar user-created content: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/08/trials-hd-dev-xbox-live-not-ready-for-user-generated-content.ars
    edited September 2009
    DesiredFX;3058941 said:
    I'm sure this is being considered or has come up in discussions, but Sony does have the Little Big Planet "Play, Create, Share" paradigm which it seems could be adaptable into something that could support RBN. Through the design in LBP, users can vote on the work of others and can communicate while playing the game.

Any opinions of this? Or is XNA so completely different from the platform used for LBP that it's not even worth considering?
    Well first of all, the lack of fiscal structure would make it completely unusable for RBN.

Secondly, from what I understand, this creating/sharing/reviewing platform for LBP is specific to that game title only. It is not a Playstation-wide structure that Media Molecule built upon...MM built it themselves and put it into LBP.

XNA is a development platform built and maintained by Microsoft, usable by any game developer for that console.

Harmonix would not be able to use that for RBN since it's specific to LBP. For HMX to use that, they'd have to get the code from MM and then see what they could do with it. But again, no payout structure is a huge showstopper.
    edited September 2009
    HMXEnosity;3056967 said:
    :( ohs nos

Seriously, if we could have a fully functioning RBN on PS3 we would. It is something we're still looking into and hope to bring to all of you in the future.
    Why couldn't you guys have waited for it to be more universal? Couldn't you have waited for when all the systems could have it? What was the rush with going to Xbox first? If you are infact working with Sony to make it possible?

Yeah sure a lot of this anger deals with like I said seeing Xbox get all these things and the PS3 and Wii are left high and dry but I bet by the time the PS3 gets it (Wii too maybe) we're going to have a huge back lot of songs that will be slowly added (Wii already knows).
    edited September 2009
    Death50;3059027 said:
    Why couldn't you guys have waited for it to be more universal? Couldn't you have waited for when all the systems could have it? What was the rush with going to Xbox first? If you are infact working with Sony to make it possible?

Yeah sure a lot of this anger deals with like I said seeing Xbox get all these things and the PS3 and Wii are left high and dry but I bet by the time the PS3 gets it (Wii too maybe) we're going to have a huge back lot of songs that will be slowly added (Wii already knows).

Why should the rest of us get punished because the others don't have the structure for it?

I have both a PS3 and a 360, so don't think I'm biased for one or the other, but I don't see that reason in that logic.

If you have the structure to do something amazing you should do it.

Should we wait for the PS2 to get something set up as well before they move forward?

I mean it is still a viable console right?
    edited September 2009
    davidshek;3059019 said:
    Well first of all, the lack of fiscal structure would make it completely unusable for RBN.
    As I said, it's a big blockade.

However, the way the world works, if you ask someone to charge for something that was previously free, they'll generally find a way...and quickly.
    Secondly, from what I understand, this creating/sharing/reviewing platform for LBP is specific to that game title only.
    At E3, Sony showed their latest Play, Create, Share title, so it seems like they're trying to cement the paradigm in place as a system benefit rather than simply a single game implementation.

I'm not sure what Sony's relationship to MM is, but I do know that they participated closely with them to make sure the LBP engine could get off the ground, so it's more than likely that a very favorable licensing deal could be put in place to make the CPS engine more universal. In reality, the "create" aspect of it is handled by REAPER, so you're really only talking about giving the interface of the "share" aspect a facelift...and, of course, implementing the commercial aspects.
    edited September 2009
    DesiredFX;3059124 said:
    At E3, Sony showed their latest Play, Create, Share title, so it seems like they're trying to cement the paradigm in place as a system benefit rather than simply a single game implementation.
    Oh I know, and once they can get that cement to set and harden, I'm sure HMX will be happy to build RBN on it. :)
  • E-FalconE-Falcon Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    DesiredFX;3058941 said:
    I'm sure this is being considered or has come up in discussions, but Sony does have the Little Big Planet "Play, Create, Share" paradigm which it seems could be adaptable into something that could support RBN. Through the design in LBP, users can vote on the work of others and can communicate while playing the game. The big blockade (and it's a big one) is that there's no fiscal structure in place within the paradigm: you can get extras for LBP, but you have to buy them on the Playstation Store, and thus they need to be created/uploaded by Sony developers rather than users/players.

Interestingly, while researching this post, I came across this article, which says LBP and Sony are currently well ahead of XBL in terms of providing similar user-created content: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/08/trials-hd-dev-xbox-live-not-ready-for-user-generated-content.ars
    One of the issues is about paying ($$$) the indie content creator, something that XNA Game Studio have already implemented and master on Xbox Live.

On LittleBigPlanet you don't have that and a lot of things that would be necessary to do RBN.

You can read the FAQ on the site
    http://creators.rockband.com/spec
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Death50;3059027 said:
    I think when they say "Working with Sony to make it possible" they actually mean "Waiting on Sony to implement something for their system that could utilize the RBN."
  • WolfRogersWolfRogers Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    This is why I'm a console collector, I have the 360 for all the rock Band-y type stuff and my PS3 for some brilliant games, best of all worlds, I laugh at Exclusivity limitations. :D
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited September 2009
    Kariodude;3067474 said:
    I think when they say "Working with Sony to make it possible" they actually mean "Waiting on Sony to implement something for their system that could utilize the RBN."
    Yeah, we all pay for our Xbox Live but the money goes into making services like the this (never anticipated it ever being used by the big companies like HMX though :eek:).

Whilst PSN is free i cant see Sony getting their hands in their pockets just to get RBN on there... not when most of the songs will appear on their marketplace anyway (rememeber this is the very same sony which refuses to budge for anyone when it comes to releasing new content outside of a thursday on PSN)