Reaper Wav Questions

EvileOLEvileOL Opening Act
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
Seeing as I didn't get into the Beta, just got a quick question for anyone who knows.

If I have two WAV files for, say, the kick drum (audio L and R), would they have to be made into a stereo file for use in a single track in Reaper, or will it be ok to use two seperate tracks for both L and R.

Also is there anything which can be done in Reaper to prepare for the software to be realsed (midi mapping etc?) or can everything only be started once the programs are all up and running?

Comments

• davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited September 2009
    EvileOL;3064894 said:
    If I have two WAV files for, say, the kick drum (audio L and R), would they have to be made into a stereo file for use in a single track in Reaper, or will it be ok to use two seperate tracks for both L and R.
    Just one audio file per component.
    EvileOL;3064894 said:
    Also is there anything which can be done in Reaper to prepare for the software to be realsed (midi mapping etc?) or can everything only be started once the programs are all up and running?
    You can already do MIDI mapping on Reaper. The plugins being released by HMX just make it easier.
  • EvileOLEvileOL Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    cheers mate!

so it's basically midi musical mapping note for note, which needs doing? just wondering if doing the work prior to the programs being installed would caus conflict in the files.

I'm used to Cubase/Pro Tools usually.
    edited September 2009
    EvileOL;3065074 said:
    so it's basically midi musical mapping note for note, which needs doing? just wondering if doing the work prior to the programs being installed would caus conflict in the files.
    Well the plugin and documentation that HMX is going to release will show you where stuff should be authored. Like, which MIDI notes are for Expert Guitar, which are for Easy Bass, etc.

Trying to author charts before knowing that information could lead to a lot of wasted work.
    edited September 2009
    ahh, thanks for the warning!
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    davidshek;3065032 said:
    Just one audio file per component.
    Well that stinks. So any/all drum tracks have to be mixed into one sound file/track for the drum component... Hmm...

I can see why it would be that way - easier for Reaper and Magma, everything's uniform... still sucks for us creators. A little extra work (not that I'm complaining).
  • wesjett08wesjett08 Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    One from for EACH drum component...It's best to have a track for the Kick Drum,Snare drum,And then everything else mixed into its own track also.
    edited September 2009
    wesjett08;3076952 said:
    One from for EACH drum component...It's best to have a track for the Kick Drum,Snare drum,And then everything else mixed into its own track also.
    Ohhh, I think I was having a brain fart and confusing the 'component' as "RB MIDI track" instead of "part of the drum set that makes noise." Just ignore me. :o
    edited September 2009
    ahhh thanks for that, at the moment i have

kick
    snare
    toms
    kit
    kit fx
    edited September 2009
    EvileOL;3086755 said:
    ahhh thanks for that, at the moment i have

kick
    snare
    toms
    kit
    kit fx
    When compiling your songs with Magma, all you'll need is Kick, Snare, and Kit. You can merge your Toms/Kit/Kit fx tracks into one.
    edited September 2009
    what about Vocals?

i've got the files

Lead Vocals
    Vocal FX
    Backing Vocals

I'm guessing all 3 of these have to go into one file?

Also what about Rhythm GTR and Lead guitars? I know the rhythm gtr doesn't get played whilst soloing, but doesn it still need to be in there?

would rhythm GTRs and Lead guitar be on seperate tracks?
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited September 2009
    EvileOL;3102102 said:
    what about Vocals?

i've got the files

Lead Vocals
    Vocal FX
    Backing Vocals

I'm guessing all 3 of these have to go into one file?

Also what about Rhythm GTR and Lead guitars? I know the rhythm gtr doesn't get played whilst soloing, but doesn it still need to be in there?

would rhythm GTRs and Lead guitar be on seperate tracks?
    Backing vocals and rhythm guitar go in your backing track so that they will play automatically. When the player playing lead guitar misses a note or fails out, only the lead cuts out, not the rhythm.

As for vocals, you will need a file that has the plain vocals with no effects (which not heard but is needed so that the in-game singer will properly lip-sync to the lyrics) and the other file WITH the effects is what is actually heard by the player in-game.
    edited September 2009
    trg007;3102138 said:
    Backing vocals and rhythm guitar go in your backing track so that they will play automatically. When the player playing lead guitar misses a note or fails out, only the lead cuts out, not the rhythm.
    And to that end, you might end up having to cut and paste some parts from the rhythm and lead guitar tracks together. Basically, what you want to end up with is 1 solid guitar track that will be exactly what the RB player is playing, no more no less. All other guitar parts can be rendered into the backing track (that also contains keyboards, FX, backing vocals, etc.).
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    hopefully the charting groups aren't too terribly picky about non-FX'ed vocals and guitars since many of us record with hardware FX going straight into the box.
    edited September 2009
    afterstasis;3102514 said:
    hopefully the charting groups aren't too terribly picky about non-FX'ed vocals and guitars since many of us record with hardware FX going straight into the box.
    Well the FX'd guitars aren't really a problem. But having a clean vocal track, as trg said, helps Magma do the vocalist lip sync animation better.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    davidshek;3102642 said:
    Well the FX'd guitars aren't really a problem. But having a clean vocal track, as trg said, helps Magma do the vocalist lip sync animation better.
    i'm gonna test it out myself to see what i can do, but in those rare instances i step up to the microphone i always have my reverb unit cranked pretty high. :)

i may just do another set of takes and mix my FX separately (which is a pet-peeve of mine) like a normal human being.
    edited September 2009
    trg007;3102138 said:
    As for vocals, you will need a file that has the plain vocals with no effects (which not heard but is needed so that the in-game singer will properly lip-sync to the lyrics) and the other file WITH the effects is what is actually heard by the player in-game.
    davidshek;3102642 said:
    :eek: Whaaaa...?

Magma renders lip-syncing to both lyrics AND audio???
  • kuiosiklekuiosikle Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    DavyinaToga;3103960 said:
    :eek: Whaaaa...?

Magma renders lip-syncing to both lyrics AND audio???
    I took "properly lip-sync to the lyrics" to mean using the audio as well, just that it will help make it look like the in game singer is really singing the lyrics.

But if Magma really pulls from the actual text AND the wav audio for mouth movement that that's pretty amazing. :eek:
    edited September 2009
    kuiosikle;3104037 said:
    But if Magma really pulls from the actual text AND the wav audio for mouth movement that that's pretty amazing. :eek:
    No, Magma creates the animations for the singer's mouth/face (lip sync) by using the dry vocal track, not the lyrics. Vocalist animations such as bringing the mic up and down and such is authored in Reaper.
    edited October 2009
    davidshek;3104045 said:
    No, Magma creates the animations for the singer's mouth/face (lip sync) by using the dry vocal track, not the lyrics. Vocalist animations such as bringing the mic up and down and such is authored in Reaper.
    That.
    Is.
    Nuts!

Of course, my knowledge of audio detection programming may just be lacking, but still... wow. Wow.

...And I'm totally sorry for threadjacking. :o