Question about file types

bigbob105bigbob105 Unsigned
edited September 2009 in The Rock Band Network
So Ive seen a lot about .wav files and such being used in Reaper to chart songs. What about a straight up MP3? Will those be fine to use to chart in reaper?

Comments

  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited September 2009
    bigbob105;3067130 said:
    So Ive seen a lot about .wav files and such being used in Reaper to chart songs. What about a straight up MP3? Will those be fine to use to chart in reaper?
    No. First of all, MP3s are horribly compressed and would sound terrible.

    Secondly, you need WAV files because you need each instrument on its own track . 1 WAV of bass guitar, 1 WAV of vocals, 1 WAV of guitar, 1 WAV of drums, at the very least. The more tracks you have (like drums separated out into snare/kick/toms/etc.), the better.
  • bigbob105bigbob105 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    ah I understand...and how would I go about splitting an MP3 track if i could...
  • SHPhr34kSHPhr34k Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    You cannot. You need to have access to the split master tracks from the studio that recorded the song.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited September 2009
    bigbob105;3067178 said:
    ah I understand...and how would I go about splitting an MP3 track if i could...
    You can't.

    If you're in the band, you'd need to talk to the studio where the song was recorded to see if they still have a copy of the master tracks (also known as stems). If you're not in the band, ask the band for the master stems.

    If the masters are not available, you (or the band) will have to re-record it at a studio capable of recording in multitrack format (which pretty much all of them do).
  • bigbob105bigbob105 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    SHPhr34k;3067191 said:
    You cannot. You need to have access to the split master tracks from the studio that recorded the song.
    Good thing I have access to them then. Thanks!
  • ScapegoatScapegoat Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    lol thought this was going to turn into a "k i just ripped my Led Zeppelin CD to 128kbs mp3s and wanted to get the stems to start charting"
  • wesjett08wesjett08 Rising Star
    edited September 2009
  • CheesePopcornCheesePopcorn Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    scapegoat;3068942 said:
    lol thought this was going to turn into a "k i just ripped my led zeppelin cd to 128kbs mp3s and wanted to get the stems to start charting"
    lmao!!!
Sign In or Register to comment.