Any Tips for Guitar?

PDXPantherPDXPanther Unsigned
edited September 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
I'm new to the whole music game genre. I've done pretty well for myself since the game came out. I'm currently a medium guitarist in the game, and now am pushing/challenging myself on to Hard. I've done OK getting low 80's % as my best scores. A friend of mine told me to slide my fingers over one color so now my index finger is on the red fret rather than the blue. Are there any other tips you guys may have to help me?

Comments

• Moony_LupinMoony_Lupin Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    I do a combo of pinky stretch and moving the whole hand down. I suggest starting on hard on bass because there's fewer notes and you'll get used to finding the orange button.
  • PDXPantherPDXPanther Unsigned
    edited September 2009
  • skysawskysaw Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    When alternating between notes on two different frets, keep the finger that's on the lower fret pressed down the whole time. The only thing that counts is the highest correct notes, and this is by design.

This will make many passages much, much easier, since you move one finger instead of two.
  • CONAN9845CONAN9845 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Why would your index finger be on blue? Do you mean green?

I agree with that. It's much easier for me to stretch my index finger up to green than it is to stretch my pinky finger down to orange.

I also agree with starting on bass, and learning to alt-strum (down AND up).

If you can keep straight in your head about which fingers you can leave down, then try that. It's not as easy as it sounds, though.
    edited September 2009
    CONAN9845;3071135 said:
    If you can keep straight in your head about which fingers you can leave down, then try that. It's not as easy as it sounds, though.
    It's one of those details that real-life guitarists already have ingrained in their heads.

After trying it for awhile, it should just click and become second nature. I don't think it's any more difficult than adding the kick to a drum pattern.
  • CONAN9845CONAN9845 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    skysaw;3071176 said:
    It's one of those details that real-life guitarists already have ingrained in their heads.

After trying it for awhile, it should just click and become second nature. I don't think it's any more difficult than adding the kick to a drum pattern.
    I agree. It's almost second nature to me now. I usually realize I still have another finger pressed down after playing that way for awhile. I still haven't gotten the bass pedal down while drumming, though. Hopefully, when I do try hard enough, it will come along as easily as you say.
    edited September 2009
    CONAN9845;3071332 said:
    I still haven't gotten the bass pedal down while drumming, though. Hopefully, when I do try hard enough, it will come along as easily as you say.
    Well to be honest, I had a lot more trouble with the kick drum because I never played drums (real or fake) before late into RB2. The guitar thing was quite natural for me as I've been playing for almost 35 years. I play a lot of instruments, but I've never needed my foot for anything other than the pedal on a piano, which is much more forgiving than kick drum (rhythmically speaking)
  • PDXPantherPDXPanther Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    CONAN9845;3071135 said:
    Why would your index finger be on blue? Do you mean green?

I agree with that. It's much easier for me to stretch my index finger up to green than it is to stretch my pinky finger down to orange.

I also agree with starting on bass, and learning to alt-strum (down AND up).

yeah i meant green, my bad :confused:
  • SullySully Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I've been referencing this amazing post by Barfo on ScoreHero for years when people ask for help transitioning from medium to hard. Although the post was made in reference to the GH series and mentions several songs in GH2, the same basic principles apply to the RB series.
  • RampantFrenzyRampantFrenzy Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Sully;3071572 said:
    I've been referencing this amazing post by Barfo on ScoreHero for years when people ask for help transitioning from medium to hard. Although the post was made in reference to the GH series and mentions several songs in GH2, the same basic principles apply to the RB series.
    I am going to save that link as well..

By now its all common advice for making the hard jump... but its nicely presented

Im surprised its not a stuck thread
  • ChickenParmoChickenParmo Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    yeh practice moving your hand or pinky from blue to orange ull get used to it