Clarification on the peer review system

instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
edited September 2009 in The Rock Band Network
Admittedly, I haven't kept up with RBN as mush as I probably should.

I don't fully understand the peer review process. From what I gather, it's just a process every song has to go through in order to be allowed on RBN?

If so, are the reviews based on song quality or playability (to make sure there's not gross charting)? While it's good in theory, if this is the case I can see it running into some problems.

For one, we've all seen the hate fantastic bands like The Pixies get from the RB playerbase... especially for bands like Abnormality. Remember the Thrash pack? Oh what fun that was.

So, suppose someone wanted to put up a grindcore song or two... there's a very good chance that a song like that would have no chance in making it past peer review, based solely on their opinion on the song. Even an established band like Death has a very good chance of not making the cut, despite so clearly deserving a place.

Just wondering if someone can clear this up for me. For the sake of variety, I would hope that everyone would be honest enough to at least attempt to put their personal tastes aside... but you can't expect that of everyone.

Comments

• trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited September 2009
    Peer review is based on the accuracy of the charting, not personal opinion of the song. If someone tried to be a jerk and intentionally vote down songs just because they don't like them, their account would be banned.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    trg007;3073049 said:
    Peer review is based on the accuracy of the charting, not personal opinion of the song. If someone tried to be a jerk and intentionally vote down songs just because they don't like them, their account would be banned.
    But how would anyone know what they are basing their review on?

And didn't an actual harmonix employee say something along the lines of "if you don't like Nickelback and they ever come to RBN, just vote them down!"?
  • ScapegoatScapegoat Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Not anyone can be a peer reviewer. There won't be any kids or teenagers.

"Vote them down" basically means (I assume) using the community vote system on Xbox Live Marketplace, where you can review downloadable content such as DLC songs.
    edited September 2009
    instantdeath999;3073068 said:
    But how would anyone know what they are basing their review on?

And didn't an actual harmonix employee say something along the lines of "if you don't like Nickelback and they ever come to RBN, just vote them down!"?
    You have to specify the reason for objecting to the content, such as explicit lyrics or copyright violation, so if someone kept putting in fake reasons they'd catch on eventually. The Nickelback thing was just a joke at PAX that was taken out of context by a gaming blog. HMX devs already cleared that up in a thread on that issue.
    edited September 2009
    trg007;3073203 said:
    You have to specify the reason for objecting to the content, such as explicit lyrics or copyright violation, so if someone kept putting in fake reasons they'd catch on eventually. The Nickelback thig was just a joke at PAX that was taken out of context by a gaming blog. HMX devs already cleared that up in a thread on that issue.
    Guess that just shows how behind I am. It does seem pretty obvious it was a just a pure joke, though.

Anyway, since not everyone can be a peer reviewer, that makes me feel a bit better. To be honest, though, I imagine many people will be downvoting songs that chart keyboard to guitar, which I am perfectly okay with. Ah well.
    edited September 2009
    instantdeath999;3073369 said:
    Guess that just shows how behind I am. It does seem pretty obvious it was a just a pure joke, though.

Anyway, since not everyone can be a peer reviewer, that makes me feel a bit better. To be honest, though, I imagine many people will be downvoting songs that chart keyboard to guitar, which I am perfectly okay with. Ah well.
    Everyone that has an Xbox and pays the $99/year for the premium XNA membership can be a reviewer, but the cost will pretty much deter anyone who's not serious about it from signing up, so I don't think it'll be an issue.

As for the charting of other instruments to guitar, HMXEnosity has said it's OK if it makes sense. Whether it makes sense is obviously a very subjective thing, so it'll be a case-by-case basis. I think if you look at past RB tracks where HMX has chosen to (or not to) chart other instruments to guitar you can get an idea of when it would be considered appropriate.
  • KlostrophobikKlostrophobik Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    instantdeath999;3073369 said:

Actually, if you remember Rock Band 1, Faith No More's Epic has the ending piano sequence charted to lead guitar if I remember right. There might be more piano in that song, but I didn't catch it as I mainly play the drums.

And as for the whole "anyone can be a peer reviewer" comment. I don't think HMX will take just anyone with an XNA account and an Xbox, but I have been wrong before.

I personally wouldn't vote down songs in the peer review process just because I don't like the style of music. And I honestly don't see how anyone who uses fake reasons to vote songs down wouldn't get caught real quick. People like that stand out like sore thumbs after a few rounds.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited September 2009
    Klostrophobik;3075718 said:
    Actually, if you remember Rock Band 1, Faith No More's Epic has the ending piano sequence charted to lead guitar if I remember right. There might be more piano in that song, but I didn't catch it as I mainly play the drums.
    No it definitely did not. There's actually guitar going on there too, and that's what was authored on the guitar track.
    Klostrophobik;3075718 said:
    And as for the whole "anyone can be a peer reviewer" comment. I don't think HMX will take just anyone with an XNA account and an Xbox, but I have been wrong before.
    Anyone who has an Xbox Live Gold account and purchases an XNA Premium account can be a peer reviewer.
    edited September 2009
    Ok, I was wrong. But I asked this question to HMXMister_Game after putting my name on the list outside at PAX, and he said that charting other instruments into one that's not either in the song, or doesn't have a large part would be acceptable if it sounded nice.

Nice is a relative term though too.

Edit: I do remember his saying now though, that a Beastie Boys song did have a turn table scratch mapped to the guitar. I wanna say it was "So Whatcha Want"
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited September 2009
    Klostrophobik;3076434 said:
    Edit: I do remember his saying now though, that a Beastie Boys song did have a turn table scratch mapped to the guitar. I wanna say it was "So Whatcha Want"
    For the record, that one was Sabotage. :)
    edited September 2009
    davidshek;3076019 said:
    No it definitely did not. There's actually guitar going on there too, and that's what was authored on the guitar track.

Anyone who has an Xbox Live Gold account and purchases an XNA Premium account can be a peer reviewer.
    Piano has been charted before, though. Nine Inch Nails sticks out to me.

To be honest, I would have loved it if they charted the keyboard solo in "She's Not There" by the Zombies to guitar.
    edited September 2009
    instantdeath999;3077909 said:
    Piano has been charted before, though. Nine Inch Nails sticks out to me.
    I know, I wasn't saying it had never been done, just not in Epic.
  • DeadManDrummingDeadManDrumming Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    I guess I will toss in a Question as well.

Do reviewers get to actually play the whole song before it hits the store, or just watch the notes come down and decide from there? If we can play it can we use multiple players for one Xbox acct?
    edited September 2009
    From the Demo at PAX, there was only one person actually logged into an account on the Xbox they were using. They used JoCo's The Future Soon and had 4 people playing in Audition mode. I'm assuming this is the way the final release of Audition mode works, as I think I would get a better feel for some songs of how fun they are to play once you have all 4 people in a room playing it.
    But as seen above, I can be wrong. (cue davidshek's interruption of how I'm wrong. ;P)
    edited September 2009
    Klostrophobik;3081192 said:
    But as seen above, I can be wrong. (cue davidshek's interruption of how I'm wrong. ;P)
    Nope, you're not wrong. You can play anywhere from 1-4 players on your local Xbox in Audition Mode.

Any of those 4 players can be actual live people, or you can set any of them to AutoPlay. Or you could set all 4 to AutoPlay and just watch.

The only addendum I should make to the qualifications I listed above for being a peer reviewer (XBL Gold account and XNA account) is that you must be over 18 to be a peer reviewer.