RB Drums + Reaper

DavidRSDavidRS Opening Act
edited September 2009 in The Rock Band Network
OK, I'm looking to record some music purely for RBN, but I'm running into some issues getting Reaper set up as I want it. Basically, I want to use the RB drum kit to record a MIDI drum line as the backing. How can I set up Reaper to record from the RB drums as a MIDI?

I do intend to record proper drums later - this is all I have access to for the moment.

Comments

• davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited September 2009
    DavidRS;3078527 said:
    OK, I'm looking to record some music purely for RBN, but I'm running into some issues getting Reaper set up as I want it. Basically, I want to use the RB drum kit to record a MIDI drum line as the backing. How can I set up Reaper to record from the RB drums as a MIDI?

I do intend to record proper drums later - this is all I have access to for the moment.
    The RB drums are not a MIDI drumset, they are a game controller. So I'm not sure that what you're attempting is even possible.
  • MaghookMaghook Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I'm sure you could just plug in the USB kit into your PC, download the Xbox Controller drivers from Microsoft, and bind the right keys in through a VST plug-in... I've never tried it myself, though.
  • edited September 2009
    Actually...... !!!

You can use PS3 Rock Band drums and guitar controllers in Reaper to lay down gems in realtime. More info on that soon.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited September 2009
    HMXEnosity;3078595 said:
    You can use PS3 Rock Band drums and guitar controllers in Reaper to lay down gems in realtime. More info on that soon.
    Just PS3? Why not 360? So tired of being the red-headed stepchild!

/I keed, I keed...
  • MexMex Mex Type Thing
    edited September 2009
    davidshek;3078627 said:
    Just PS3? Why not 360? So tired of being the red-headed stepchild!

/I keed, I keed...
    :D

Finally something I can do that the XBOX guys can't. Eat your hearts out :cool:
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited September 2009
    HMXEnosity;3078595 said:
    Actually...... !!!

That is awesome! :)

I think the OP is trying to use it to record his actual drum track to use in his song. I doubt that would work.
  • AudioHBAudioHB Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Actually, in the latest reaper (3 or later), you can select Joystick MIDI in your MIDI devices and it has scriptable support for Rock Band drums (including gems as HmxEnosity said) - PS3 is the default, but it's trivial to add support for 360 or even Wii Drums. You just have to modify the button mask inside the script to match up with what your controller is sending. Plugging in any drum set into Windows if you have a recent DirectX will recognize the drum controller automatically.

Also, it has built-in templates for VSTi's like BFD so you can use it to trigger samples as well. You have to tweak it a bit though for extra kit pieces, but still.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    i sometimes get really lazy and decide to use my RB1 drums to record simple midi beats instead of plugging in my real electronic drumset.

BFD even has a nice humanizer function (for both velocity and timing), so you can make it sound eerily realistic.
  • DHatchDHatch Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Not sure what exactly you are trying to do but if you are looking to record your rock band drum playing: Just set mics up by your speakers as if they were real drums, play in practice mode and record them into reaper as audio tracks.
    edited September 2009
    DHatch;3079375 said:
    Not sure what exactly you are trying to do but if you are looking to record your rock band drum playing: Just set mics up by your speakers as if they were real drums, play in practice mode and record them into reaper as audio tracks.
    no offense intended to HMX, but PLEASE don't use those drum samples!
    i'm sure you can find much more useful samples even in a free VST, not to mention have no worries about picking up stick noise, bad mics/TV speakers, etc.
  • DHatchDHatch Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    afterstasis;3079449 said:
    no offense intended to HMX, but PLEASE don't use those drum samples!
    i'm sure you can find much more useful samples even in a free VST, not to mention have no worries about picking up stick noise, bad mics/TV speakers, etc.
    Yes, i totally agree with that, especially with the stick noise. I think he said he was going to use it as a placeholder and then re-record the drums later, which would be sufficient. But as you said, definitely not final song quality.
  • wesjett08wesjett08 Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    It's entirely possible,3 of the tracks my band will be putting up onto the RBN were programed using MIDI and then ran through Toontrack's Drumkit from hell...Probably the best drum sampling program you can buy...We had to use it because we have no way to record usable drums and we dont exactly have alot of studio's around here in the middle of nowhere Ohio ...I have attached a short highly compressed clip of the drum track so you can hear how it sounds.

This clip isn't of the final track,I'm still tweaking the samples and velocity settings.
  • MaghookMaghook Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    wesjett08;3080358 said:
    Toontrack's Drumkit from hell...Probably the best drum sampling program you can buy...
    Not probably, it is.
  • wesjett08wesjett08 Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    I was just covering all bases,I've never heard a better one...But just saying :P
    edited September 2009
    i prefer BFD2 over any of toontrack's software, though i use both from time to time.
  • iruhlmaniruhlman Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    trg007;3078679 said:
    That is awesome! :)

I think the OP is trying to use it to record his actual drum track to use in his song. I doubt that would work.
    the Ion kit with the module can accomplish this no?
    edited September 2009
    iruhlman;3083954 said:
    the Ion kit with the module can accomplish this no?
    both the ION and RB1 kit can both be used effectively as a midi controller, which can give you a pretty pro sound if coupled with good software.
  • ABrotherGrimmABrotherGrimm Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    HMXEnosity;3078595 said:
    Actually...... !!!

when it comes to you bringing the good news!

:: still have fingers crossed Magma will run under Darwine ::

:)
  • DavidRSDavidRS Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Maghook;3078570 said:
    I'm sure you could just plug in the USB kit into your PC, download the Xbox Controller drivers from Microsoft, and bind the right keys in through a VST plug-in... I've never tried it myself, though.
    This is what I was meaning. There seemed to be about three different interpretations of it in this thread... :p

I ended up binding it to the virtual MIDI keyboard using Joy2Key. If there's a better way, please let me know - syncing things up is rather hard when you have to activate that window as well after tapping record.