Who got you into The Beatles?

Hey everybody,

I've been thinking lately, and let's be honest that is a rare occurrence, about how people got into The Beatles. For some it may have been as easy as hearing a few songs on the radio, or being alive when they were popular, or just accidentally stumbling on them in any number of other ways.

But for a lot of you, probably the majority, it goes beyond that. There was someone, probably in your childhood who was a big Beatles fan. Someone who knew every song by heart, for whom the songs went well beyond being music to an irreplaceable part of their lives. And that person made damn sure you listened and you understood. They probably hoped that by doing this you would become more enriched as a person but also so you would understand more about them. Maybe it was your parents, maybe an uncle, maybe a good friend, maybe an almost complete stranger but if this happened I bet you remember this story. And I bet it's a good one.

And I want to hear it.

You see the holidays are coming. People will be visiting their families and friends and more than likely seeing these people who introduced them to the world of The Beatles. A lot of you are probably thinking about going out and buying TB:RB for this person (and you may want to get on that - Limited Edition bundles and all!), not only to give back to them for sharing their love of this band with you but also so you can share a little bit about your passion - video games.

I want you to write about this person and how they got you into the band. I want you to write about WHY you want to give them The Beatles: Rock Band. I want a whole thread of awesome stories.

And when its all over I want to find one of the best and do something nice. This isn't a contest. And I am not going to define what this nice thing might be (as I probably haven't even thought it through entirely). I just kind of want to know these stories you have in you.

Best,
Sean

PS If you do write a story and hang out on the twitters make sure to post a link to your story from Twitter with the #BeatlesRockBand tag. We're gonna trend this game again. Believe you me.

Comments

• jgoshjgosh Super Star
    edited September 2009
    AP Euro Teacher last year, we had a Beatles project where all we would do is watch the Anthology and listen to their albums all day.
  • MexMex Mex Type Thing
    edited September 2009
    I'd always known about the Beatles and heard their songs at home because my dad has been a huge fan for most of his adult life. The truth is I never really paid any attention to the songs, sort of wrote it off as being for "old folks". I was way more interested in listening to Guns N' Roses, AC/DC, Metallica, Motley Crue......we're talking late 80's here.

When I hit my first year of High School in 1993 somehow amidst the "Grunge" movement I found my dad's set of Beatles CD's. You know the double CD sets? The Red and Blue ones? Yeah those. On a whim I just popped the first Red CD in and listened to it with headphones on.

That's when everything changed. I knew that the Beatles were huge, but it wasn't until then that I understood why. I was blown away by not only the quality of the songs, but the QUANTITY. There were so many! On to the second Red CD and there was more! Unbelievable.

Of course I popped in the Blue discs too.....and was blown away even more because I realised that the Beatles were able to significantly change their sound, grow as musicians and not lose a stitch of quality. I've been a fan ever since.

So...long story short I got into the Beatles because of my dad. Sometimes I wonder if he left those albums out all the time on purpose...you know as a test? See if the kid has good taste I guess :)

Last week I kind of felt like things came full circle when I had my Dad come play Beatles RB with me. He can't play the instruments but he sure as hell can grab the mic and sing. It was a pretty cool moment to watch him sing "Here Comes The Sun" :)

Anyway that's the end of my cheesy story, carry on.
  • linkman26linkman26 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    My father bought The Beatles 1 for his anniversary with my mom and shared it with me after he found out my mom got it for him as well.

Anywhoo, with the extra copy, they gave it to me, and my dad explained to me that they were one of the most popular rock bands of all time and gave them a listen.

Fell in love with them instantly and cried when I heard yesterday for the first time.
  • whymogwhymog Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    (This got a bit long -- sorry about that!)

I almost never got into The Beatles.

I grew up in a household where there were plenty of records and CDs but very few were ever queued up to play. My dad listened almost exclusively to talk radio or the classic rock station, and when he talked about his favorite bands (Jimi Hendrix, The Allman Brothers Band, The Grateful Dead) The Beatles never came up. I'd heard The Allman Brothers' double album "Eat a Peach" before I even knew what The Beatles' White Album was.

My mom owned an impressive collection of Beatles records from her childhood, but we never had a working record player. They sat in a box in the closet for as long as I could remember. I'd leafed through them a couple times, laughing at their ridiculous haircuts and marginally clever album titles.

As a teenager I lumped them into the broad genre of "oldies" -- a term that basically meant "music that has no business hanging around." Their songs sounded overly simplistic, at times insipid (Drive My Car, Eight Days a Week, Twist and Shout) or just plain weird (Piggies, I Am The Walrus). It wasn't until a few years ago that the band finally made sense to me.

There are only a handful of albums I've come across that were so powerful and consuming that I remember exactly where I was when I first heard them -- Radiohead's Kid A, The Flaming Lips' Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Michael Jackson's Thriller and Sufjan Stevens' Illinois, for example. My recollection of the first time I listened to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is probably the most vivid of all of them.

A couple summers ago, I was driving back to school from Portland to Eugene with one of my best friends from grade school. We both ended up going to college at the University of Oregon, but we had fallen a little out of touch over the years. I was excited for the trip as a chance to reconnect and share some music.

Heat's rarely an issue in Oregon -- temperatures over 90 are uncommon, even in the summer -- but this day was well over 100 degrees, and the air was thick with humidity.

So of course, my car's air conditioning decided to stop working that morning.

The freeway was packed, the car was stifling, and I was sweating to the point where the seat was fusing to my clothes. Neither of us was bold enough to talk -- the air tasted like a track meet.

It was kind of disgusting.

My friend began rifling through his bag, looking for some music to put on that would distract us from the fact that the ceiling was damp. He pulled out Sgt. Pepper and waved it at me.

I shrugged. He put it on.

What I heard wasn't supernatural, or beyond belief, or maybe not even the best album in history. But it was audacious, adventurous; it was unlike anything I'd heard. It was convoluted and over-the-top one moment and heartfelt the next.

When the album ended, it was like awakening from a daze -- not the best realization when you've been driving a couple tons of metal at freeway speeds for an hour -- and I was struggling to think of something to say. The heat may have contributed to the surreal nature of the experience, resulting in something of a poor man's spirit journey, but one thing was certain: There was something very important to be found in listening to the Beatles.

My friend and I had bonded over music when we were friends in high school, but back then his tastes (Marilyn Manson, Slipknot, Limp Bizkit) and mine (Blink-182, Sum 41 and...Limp Bizkit) were limited, to put it delicately. Thankfully, in the decade since we've both since grown a bit older and wiser -- and hearing Sgt. Pepper was proof of that.

I must have listened to that album a hundred times over the last couple years. I sought out copies of the rest of the Beatles' catalog and listened through every album. I became fascinated by the history and the mythology surrounding the Beatles and the people that were a part of it. Between the Beatles Rock Band instruments scattered around and the countless Wikipedia pages I've been scouring, my desk is beginning to look like that scene in A Beautiful Mind where John Nash's wife stumbles upon his shack in the woods.

I'm sure I'll eventually learn all I want to know about the Beatles, but I'll never grow tired of their music.
  • nanoraiden9nanoraiden9 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    pksage;3079415 said:
    Mine is mildly odd.

I hardly ever watch TV these days, since real life and the Internet are such fantastic replacements, but back in middle school and high school I would park myself in front of the boob tube quite often. The nature of that particular beast, of course, is commercials! I could tell you more about specific products of the early 2000s than I could about most of American history. And there was a specific commercial that ran on pretty much every channel for several months.
    Those were good moments.

Wow..I know exactly what you mean..Except I used to watch tv more in Middle School..Life changes and I moved to a different state..blah blah, I stopped watching TV, so I missed that specific commercial :( but wow, you just brought back huge memories, thanks for making me realize my childhood was ridiculously boring ><
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited September 2009
    My Dad was an Elvis fan as a teenager and wrote off the Beatles as a bunch of youngsters that made "woo" noises. When I discovered music it was Elvis. I went through various stages; heavy metal, british new wave, rap, classic rock, prog, grunge and 90s alternative. I never got into Beatles music, until one day I saw a video which fell in line with my interests. This video captured my interest with its bright colours, and I had recently grown in my musical tastes ( I actually found myself enjoying some country music). The video was the trailer for your game. You did it Harmonix.

(edit: I don't have the twitters)
  • tcole6tcole6 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    My parent always listened to them, and I would occassionaly play Rubber Soul on my old record player....but it was my friend Greg Day that truly got me into the Beatles (and Fleetwood Mac...). He had recorded a radio show named "Beatles A to Z minus two", and it took like more than a dozen cassette tapes or something. We jammed to those tapes for a whole summer. I was 13 then, 42 now. That was a great summer all around.
  • nanoraiden9nanoraiden9 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    -Amayo-;3079466 said:
    Haha, same here, I remember when I was four or five, we had a CD with Yellow Submarine and Octopus's Garden on it, and I loved those songs, and then, one day, when I was.....seven or eight, but I dont remember, I do remember it was the day after the Pokemon Destiny Deoxys movie came out, lol, I went to my friends house and we were going to watch it, but his mother insisted on watching the Beatles - Yellow Submarine movie, and after that I couldn't stop listening to them. Lol.
    Sorry for my double post =p i thoguht making a huge long, double quote was goinbg to be more rediculous than a double post..ANYWAY..

yeah dude, my dads been telling me to watch it.. in his own words this is what he recently said to me:

"Yeah i think its time you watched Yellow submarine..Yeah they made a movie..what? yeah it involves the submarine..yeah its yellow stupid, let me finish.. so they go around the sea of green and theres these things called the blue meanies...i wonder if its on the cable box.."

haha, i thought you might enjoy that >< anyway, any idea where i can find that movie?
  • edited September 2009
    This is amazing, thanks everybody. Keep the stories coming, let's make this thing huge! #BeatlesRockBand!

And don't forget that this is going on too - http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166134
  • KallenSKallenS Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    My dad. When we are travelling down to Sk
  • FaultFault Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Like everyone else, I'd heard the Beatles off and on my whole life (that is, since 1981, for those keeping track), but it wasn't until I met my wife that I really got into them. Her father is in a local band that does a lot of Beatles covers, and as a family, my wife, her father, and her brothers have collectively everything there is to have Beatles. I naturally became engulfed in the Fab Four. It's really as easy as that. Though, I wish everyone had the chance to hear a live (and talented) band performing A Hard Day's Night live like I have, even if I came about many years too late for the Beatles themselves.
  • DMSweenz30DMSweenz30 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    When I was about 9 years old (2002) I heard the song "Yellow Submarine". My parents had recently gotten the "1" album and I listened to the song. Then the next song played. Then the next. And it continues on like that. After listening to that CD alone for about a year, I started getting more, starting with their first two, "Please Please Me" and "With The Beatles".

In 4th grade I did a biography project on Paul McCartney. I also did some art projects involving the Beatles (still do). I saw Paul in 2005 and then again in August (where I first played TB:RB)

I still remember the day I got the email from thebeatles.com announcing TB:RB, and I didn't know how I'd wait it out. But I did, and here we are. Since I got this game I've probably played at least 3 hours a day (would be more if it wasn't from the whole "school" thing).

The Beatles have been my favorite band for 7 years, and I know that they will always be. They've influenced everything about me and whenever I feel sad I just turn on a Beatles song and everything is all right.
  • DookieManDookieMan Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    GuyMonkey;3079223 said:
    It was my dad. When I was just a youngster, 2 or 3 years old, right up until I was 6 or 7, my dad and I would always go cruising in his Firebird. It didn't matter where we were going, just that we were hanging out, father and son, having a good time. The Beatles would always be playing. He liked the stuff from the touring years - I would've asked him to play the studio years, but I didn't know any better.

I remember the first time I ever saw my dad play the guitar. I'd always seen the thing hanging up on the wall and wondered what it sounded like. I don't know what I was doing at the time, probably playing Super Mario Bros. or something, but I heard this music coming from upstairs, in my parents bedroom. I went to check it out, and he was just chilling out on the bed, playing (and singing [poorly, I might add]) Yesterday. It was the coolest thing in the world, to know the words to this song and how it went, and to see my dad playing it. That one pivotal moment in my life would form the basis of who I would eventually become. A lover of music who feels more at peace with the world than the Dalai Lama so long as he's got a six-string and comfy place to sit.

But then something happened. I still don't understand it to this day, but something happened within my dad that changed him. He became an angry person. Our relationship deteriorated as I got older and he got colder. Words were said, things were thrown. We were more like warring countries than family. He didn't play The Beatles anymore. After awhile, I grew to hate my dad, so much so that I couldn't wait to get away from home. I graduated high school, moved a province away, and started my new life.

In the months leading up to the move, I saw yet another change happening in my dad. It was as if he was finally realizing that he'd wasted all the years that he could've spent actually getting to know me, to find out who I was growing up to be, being an actual f*cking DAD for once, and I think it made him pretty sad. He started taking an interest in what I was doing, started making an effort to get out and do a few things.

And then I moved. It wasn't something that was always on my mind, but every now and then I'd think about my family back home and I'd feel glad that I was able to move away on at least decent terms with my father. It was a comfortable feeling. I came back to visit during Christmas Break of my first year of college. When I got to my family home, I had barely dropped my bags in my old room when my dad came up to me, really excited about something that he had bought, pulling it out of the closet and hooking it up to the TV. It was a karaoke machine loaded with a couple thousand songs.

Take a guess at the first song he picked to sing.
    That was a beautiful story...
  • TanuulTanuul Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Every time my mom hears a song off the White Album, she tells us about the year the album was released; apparently she and her family were snowed in that winter, and my uncle played the album on repeat in his room (which was right next door to my mom's). She got so sick of it that even now, it's her least favorite Beatles album.

But she passed her love of the REST of the Beatles down to my sister, who became a huge fan as a kid. So the Beatles ended up being played a LOT in our home.

So, when I got Beatles Rock Band, I took it to my sister's, and a big group of us played it for hours. And everyone knew the words. Two days later, my sister went out and picked it up. And I'll bet ya my mom will be knocking on our doors asking to play, or at least to watch us play.
  • rayrox222rayrox222 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    When I was young my first exposure to the Beatles was in the 1968 animated film Yellow Submarine from which I really only remembered two Beatles songs: "Nowhere Man", and of course "Yellow Submarine". I remember enjoying the film as a child but Beatlemania didn't really catch on until much more recently when TB:RB gameplay trailers came out.

It's funny because BEFORE I saw those trailers, all I read were announcements about the Beatles coming to Rock Band and was like "Meh, they're ok. Maybe I'll pick up a song or two." My meh would later shift to outrage when I found out the Beatles' music was not going to be downloadable content for rock band 2 and they would instead run on their own game, which at the time I thought stunk of AC/DC LIVE. My attitude then was "!@#$ those elitist British !@#holes. If they get off their high horse and sell songs through an existing game like most every other band in the world I may patronize them." Thus I remained turned off by the Beatles coming to Rock Band UNTIL two gameplay trailers aired: the one featuring the dreamscape for Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band / With a Little Help from my Friends; a song I was NOT FAMILIAR with but fell in love with the latter of the two songs musically and who in this world but a blind person could not be drawn into the fantasy land of Sgt. Pepper with the costumes and all? It was all so endearing and beautifully done so then I realized with the work Harmonix was putting into this game and as much as I was growing to realize I really LOVED the Beatles music I knew I had to have it! And if that trailer wasn't enough to change my attitude COMPLETELY, the next one I saw was for "Here Comes the Sun" which is one of the prettiest songs ever written. With the beautiful dreamscape on top, I was sold then and there and kept tabs on TB:RB forums for announcements, read, commented from time to time, and am so happy I did not miss out on this game!

My testimony of Harmonix being primarily responsible for drawing me into the music of the Beatles of course is a common story these days. Since I've gotten the game, one of my friends who regularly comes over to my "rock band parties" (a few of us typically played RB2 together on weekends) was at my house for our debut enjoyment of the new Beatles Rockband and after he went home all he could do was look up their music online to listen to more! He comes back a week later, I ask him which Rockband game he'd want to play (2 or Beatles), almost certain he'd say RB2 due to the wider variety of music available to play with a much bigger song selection (I have over 200 songs with DLC), but to my surprise he told me RB2 felt empty after playing TB:RB. In a lot of ways I feel the same way! Who would've thought that would happen over a single band?

The Beatles seem to have this domino effect of luring in more and more fans and in a way it's funny because everyone's heard the band's name but I'm sure there are many who would love their music if they just gave them a chance and listened to some songs. And of course when the interest is rooted in a musical rhythm game like rock band I've found it also amplifies the interest of those who were already fans, like another one of my friends who told me he grew up with the Beatles but when he started playing The Beatles: Rock Band he commented how impressed he was with McCartney's work on bass and the intricacy of the harmonies; details like this not everyone picks up on just listening to recordings, but really take in once they experience the actual music in a game like this!

I can't thank Harmonix enough for this one. Problem I have of making it a gift to those I think might be interested is I'd also have to get them a PS 3 and instruments along with the game before they could enjoy it and play with me and frankly I do not have that kind of money. :P
  • GuyMonkeyGuyMonkey Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    DookieMan;3079680 said:
    That was a beautiful story...
    Hey, thanks. I hadn't really thought about it in awhile, and I never really realized the poetic subtext of it all until I put it all into words today.
  • FootboyFootboy Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    The cassette of Abbey Road (with the wrong track order) lived in my parents' VW when I was growing up, so The Beatles were one of the few artists I knew about for a long while. I've heard that album too many times to associate it with anything specific from my childhood, but I do know that seeing the album art fleshed out in the "Abbey Road Studios '68-69" cutscene evoked an emotional response in me that I didn't see coming.

In retrospect, hearing their last album first influenced the kind of music I associate with The Beatles -- I knew about the popular tracks from Sgt. Pepper and the white album, but as a kid I thought the pre-Revolver stuff was by a different band entirely. My dad, a former bassist, also had a bunch of The Beatles' older works on vinyl, so what I heard of Meet The Beatles and so on were mostly basslines reverberating through the basement ceiling to my bedroom floor. Maybe there's a case to be made for The Beatles' career spanning the shift from "oldies" to "classic rock," with my personal tastes favoring the latter.

I've come to associate some tracks from Rubber Soul and Help! with pleasant memories, but I mostly just hear The Beatles' "oldies" when I'm listening to Love. Or when I'm playing TB:RB, of course.
  • RegulusRegulus Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    The Beatles: Rock Band got me into The Beatles...
  • joeyvejoeyve Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Back in 1981 (I was 13 years old) a weird little medley of music by The Beatles and other contemporaries came out. It was called "Stars on 45".
    My parents bought it for me and after hearing me play it X amount of times, they realized I thought this was original music. So they proceeded to open my eyes and introduced me to several bands of the era. Most importantly THE BEATLES!

@joeyvenegas
  • MajorDannykillaMajorDannykilla Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    this stories thing was an amazing idea, beatles forever =)
  • Explosion2Explosion2 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    My dad is a HUGE Beatles fan.
    he's always been a huge fan, and it got me into the Beatles too.
    He is a musician, and used to play gigs all around Jersey in the 80's, and now records music with his friend for fun. Beatles tracks are always on the top of the list.
    The one story that sticks out in my head is how he learned Blackbird on guitar. when he was a kid, he sat with his guitar and the record, and kept playing it back piece by piece (spinning the record back to play little sections back) until he had it PERFECT. and he does have it perfect.

I don't think I've heard anybody else get the guitar as spot on as he does.
  • edited September 2009
    I got into the Beatles mostly because of my father. When I was young there was always one song my dad would sing constantly before we went to sleep. This song was "All My Loving."

This song has a very special place in my heart. As I got older my experiences with the Beatles grew. My dad always had the White Album close around. I began to listen to them almost exclusively throughout high school and college.

Some of my favorite albums are Rubber Soul, Sgt. Peppers, and the White Album (of course). So when the Beatles Rock Band was announced... being a long time Harmonix fan, it was a must have. Rhythm games really have helped me develop my own musical tastes and helped me to start playing the real guitar.

I bought the game at midnight and haven't stopped playing it. Its a great joy to play the Beatles on the game, but even more fun to play their songs on the guitar. Thank you Harmonix, all my loving, I will send to you!

@bencv109
  • JixzerJixzer Hillbilly Deluxe
    edited September 2009
    Mine is kind of boring. My parents listened to them a lot, and by default, so did I.

True story. Crappy story, but true.
  • onduvalstonduvalst Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I remember the first time I heard "My Guitar Gently Weeps". It was 7th grade music class and I don't recall why we were studying the song but the sound of it was so emotional and raw to me. I've been hooked ever since.
    I love George Harrison's writing style. Here Comes the Sun also has a spot in my heart but for a more bittersweet reason. My Grandmother died last October from complications caused by dementia. It had rained all morning and on my way to see her I was listening to the radio. Just as the sun finally broke through the clouds, Here Comes the Sun began to play on the radio. I knew that she was gone at that moment and in some way this was the universe's way of saying it was alright and that she was free. OK I have to go cry now...........
  • MythtakesMythtakes Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Being from Liverpool, it is hard not to hear about The Beatles, the city has so many reminders of The Beatles. Plus my Dad listened to them so much when he was younger, that when I was growing up, The Beatles were the band that father wanted to pass down to son.
  • MostSpartan14MostSpartan14 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I learned of the Beatles from my teachers playing them during middle school. In one case, it was art class. My teacher turned on the radio and Yellow Submarine was playing. I fell in love with the song. The second instance was in History class. We were learning about the mummified body that was found in the late 60's named Lucy. Everyone asked why they called it Lucy and my teacher explained that the night they found the body the researchers were playing the song Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. Everyone wanted to hear the song so my teacher played it on repeat on itunes for like the rest of the week. The song became stuck in my head and I loved it.
  • froesen2000froesen2000 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    My dad used to listen to pre-Rubber Soul Beatles and I liked it as fun old music. Great for long car rides when you're five. Then in Grade 3 my music teacher sat my class down (we were learning the recorder) and decided to play us Sgt. Pepper. She explained that it was the 25th anniversary and that it was a very important piece of music. I really enjoyed it and couldn't relate this music to the Yeah Yeah Yeah Beatles that played in my father's car.
    My best friend had it at his house (or rather, his parents did) So we listened to it again that afternoon and studied the album cover, which was then and always shall be mesmerizing to me.
    After that, I kind of forgot about it until I went through my father's collection at my grandma's house when I was 12. I took them home, and started listening to them all repeatedly.
    Their music shaped a great amount of what I thought to be music, and art should be about. That age was seemingly the perfect time to listen to the Beatles. Much like reading the Lord of the RIngs. It just fit right in that period of time with imagination, and energy.

Can't wait to play this game!
    edited September 2009
    [QUOTE=onduvalst;3079881]
    I love George Harrison's writing style. Here Comes the Sun also has a spot in my heart but for a more bittersweet reason. My Grandmother died last October from complications caused by dementia. It had rained all morning and on my way to see her I was listening to the radio. Just as the sun finally broke through the clouds, Here Comes the Sun began to play on the radio. I knew that she was gone at that moment and in some way this was the universe's way of saying it was alright and that she was free. QUOTE] That was amazing and emotional story thank you for that =]
    edited September 2009
  • xX_Sinner_XxxX_Sinner_Xx Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    My Grandmother and my Friends Charity and Luke