Bright Midnight RBN Releases

Lizard_KingLizard_King Road Warrior
Edit: New songs added for free download!

news news news! three of our older demo tracks, "The Stranger", "For the Strange" and "Killers of the Worst Type" are in the Playtest/Peer Review process! "For the Strange" and "The Stranger" are in Playtest, and "Killers" is in Peer Review! Please help them along in the process :)

links:
The Stranger Playtest
For The Strange Playtest
Killers of the Worst Type Peer Review

Thanks! Hope you enjoy!

For those interested, Bright Midnight's ELEVEN songs currently announced for Rock Band Network (per Rhythm Authors/Ozone Entertainment) can be downloaded for free here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=962496

simply click on the down arrow next to the album art and the track will start downloading!

Tracks:
1. For The Strange
2. Killers of the Worst Type
3. The Stranger
4. Don't Eye Me Like A Child
5.Liberation
6.Floating Feather(Sleepy Mood)
7. American Prayer
8. When You're Down
9. Good Night
10. La Minuit
11. Hand Me Down

By clicking on the hyperlink, you will be taken straight to the song page, where you can download it with one click! (click on the down button :))

Also, we have a number of songs from our debut album, "La Minuit", that have not been announced yet for the RBN, but will most likely be on it in the near future. They are also available for free download below!

A Hotel in Saigon
Count Me Sold
Skinny Girl
The Fringe
Infant Days

Thanks for listening! Hope you enjoy!

Comments

• A New Pyro FoolA New Pyro Fool Forum Comedian
    edited September 2009
    iruhlman;3083920 said:
    NO songs will be free on RBN, have to be a minimum of 80 MS points = $1.00
    Why do I recall hearing that people are allowed to have songs priced at 40 MSP/$0.50?...
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited September 2009
    A New Pyro Fool;3084270 said:
    Why do I recall hearing that people are allowed to have songs priced at 40 MSP/$0.50?...
    Not sure where you heard that, but the available price points are $1, $2 or $3.
  • socrstoprsocrstopr Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    40 MSP was originally a potential price point but was dropped around the time RBN was announced.
  • JPSChampagneJPSChampagne Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    Some demo shots of the Network also include the 40 MSP pricing. I think it's pretty safe to assume, though, that's been done away with. Props if it hasn't, though. I'd love me some fifty cent songs.
  • Lizard_KingLizard_King Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    i do plan on making my songs as cheap as possible, so look forward to that :)
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, that thread is pretty outdated. It also states that there isn't a limit on song length even though it's been confirmed that it's 10 minutes.
    edited September 2009
    DavyinaToga;3085394 said:
    And the guy who posted saying the price was dropped has been using magma for 2 months and has not seen 40 MSP listed.

Trust me, 40 is no longer an option :p (And to really clarify, it's $1, $2 or $3)
    edited September 2009
    so did anybody actually download the songs?
    edited September 2009
  • A New Pyro FoolA New Pyro Fool Forum Comedian
    edited September 2009
    My apologies for posting my opinion late; the site that your songs are hosted on wasn't loading for me yesterday.

Anyway, I'm just going to list quick opinions on each instrument and how I feel that they will translate into the game:

Bass - The bass in all of the songs sounds quite average, but that may just be because I have a poor ear for bass guitars. Hopefully the charts will be fun.
    Drums - The high point of these songs (by far). Your drummer knows how to do fills nicely. This, if anything, would be the reason why I buy any of these songs in game (especially The Stranger)
    Guitar - Nothing too spectacular, but some interesting chords thrown in there. I do like listening to it.
    Vocals - The low point of the songs for me. The vocals seem quite toned down and boring, although the lyrics seem well-hashed out. Also, the lyrics seem a tad lazy. Now, I'm a vocalist in general, so I'm probably ragging harder on this aspect more than I should be, but it is my opinion. As for the in-game chart, I don't the pitch highway being too complicated and/or interesting (but I've been wrong before).

Overall - Decent songs, although the vocals really do me in. I'll have to wait until the charts come out before I consider purchasing them.

Thanks for the free songs!
    edited September 2009
    A New Pyro Fool;3090755 said:
    My apologies for posting my opinion late; the site that your songs are hosted on wasn't loading for me yesterday.

Anyway, I'm just going to list quick opinions on each instrument and how I feel that they will translate into the game:

Bass - The bass in all of the songs sounds quite average, but that may just be because I have a poor ear for bass guitars. Hopefully the charts will be fun.
    Drums - The high point of these songs (by far). Your drummer knows how to do fills nicely. This, if anything, would be the reason why I buy any of these songs in game (especially The Stranger)
    Guitar - Nothing too spectacular, but some interesting chords thrown in there. I do like listening to it.
    Vocals - The low point of the songs for me. The vocals seem quite toned down and boring, although the lyrics seem well-hashed out. Also, the lyrics seem a tad lazy. Now, I'm a vocalist in general, so I'm probably ragging harder on this aspect more than I should be, but it is my opinion. As for the in-game chart, I don't the pitch highway being too complicated and/or interesting (but I've been wrong before).

Overall - Decent songs, although the vocals really do me in. I'll have to wait until the charts come out before I consider purchasing them.

Thanks for the free songs!
    First off, no problem! i have no qualms about giving away my songs, if i could, i would make them free on RBN as well.

As for your opinions, i think your going to be pleasantly surprised by what the bass holds in store for you. "The Stranger" has got some nifty bass work hidden in the song, while "For The Strange" bass is pretty heavy, and its got a pretty syncopated rhythm. The best bass song is "Killers of the Worst Type". The main bass riff is fun as hell to play (at least when i tracked it haha). its going to be quite difficult.

Guitar is what i base all of my songs around, so those are the most inventive usually. "The Stranger" is going to surprise you, its pretty difficult. The other songs are a little easier, but definitely will be fun to play.

Drums are difficult on all songs. "The Stranger" has the hardest ones by far (if its not devil heads i dont know what is). The other songs are at least tier 4 and 5 . very difficult rolls in there.

Yeah, i can say that the vocals are not anything special, the way i sing is a lower croon, and i dont have total confidence in my upper range, so thats what give the vocals that lazy sound. so from a vocalist standpoint i understand your hesitance to buy the songs.

but i do appreciate you posting your opinions, this is what i love about these forums. thanks for downloading! would love to hear if your thoughts have changed after reading this... perhaps another listening is in order?
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    socrstopr;3085653 said:
    And the guy who posted saying the price was dropped has been using magma for 2 months and has not seen 40 MSP listed.
    The 40 MSP was an incremental measurement, not an end to measure. Not quite the question I asked, since it's been mentioned that $1 is the minimum.
    socrstopr;3085653 said:
    (And to really clarify, it's $1, $2 or $3)
    *nods* So there's no $1.50- or $2.50-equivalent songs. That answers my question. Guess I should have been more clear on the question. Thanks.

Can that FAQ be updated to include all the new info that's surfaced since its last edit?
  • CheesePopcornCheesePopcorn Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Thanks, Lizard_King for the free tracks!
    edited September 2009
    DavyinaToga;3091284 said:
    *nods* So there's no $1.50- or $2.50-equivalent songs. That answers my question. Guess I should have been more clear on the question. Thanks.
    Apologies for my post if it came off rude, and glad I inadvertently answered the question you meant to ask, lol :)
    edited September 2009
    CheesePopcorn;3093608 said:
    Thanks, Lizard_King for the free tracks!
    Hey, no problem, just wanna get the tracks out there so as many people as possible can download them on RBN when they come out. what did you think of the tracks?

does anyone have any thoughts on the tracks, like A New Pyro Fool did? they are much appreciated...
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited September 2009
    The only song i really got into listening to them was The Stranger, its your stand out track in my opinion. There is however a problem with this, the charts will only really get interesting about 2 minutes into the song... yet the RBN demo only allows for 1 minute of song play so it could well hamper anyone not aware how awesome it gets once it picks up and the drummer actually make an appearance in the song which what sounded like a potentially awesome chart for gamers who digs playing drums.

Im an Expert Guitarist myself and whilst i dont see The Stranger being the most exciting chart ill have played i will have a look at the demo when it hits RBN none the less and see if it grows on me ;)
    edited September 2009
    Skode;3097058 said:
    The only song i really got into listening to them was The Stranger, its your stand out track in my opinion. There is however a problem with this, the charts will only really get interesting about 2 minutes into the song... yet the RBN demo only allows for 1 minute of song play so it could well hamper anyone not aware how awesome it gets once it picks up and the drummer actually make an appearance in the song which what sounded like a potentially awesome chart for gamers who digs playing drums.

Im an Expert Guitarist myself and whilst i dont see The Stranger being the most exciting chart ill have played i will have a look at the demo when it hits RBN none the less and see if it grows on me ;)
    question,
    dont the buyers get to play 35% of the song on one instrument without paying for it, and re test it on all instruments? if thats true, theyll get to play around 2:25 of the song, and that means the drums will have kicked in by then, so hopefully that will mean something :)

trust me, the guitar track will be a surprise. theres a lot of hidden notes in there. i personally think the main riff will be tough, it has some difficult alt-strumming.

and i think the devil heads on drums will more than excite the gamer, maybe incite them to look at the whole chart on youtube :).

but i appreciate your comments!

and actually, all the drum songs are going to be really difficult, the bass pedal is hard to hear, since i only used two drum mics to record it, and its going to be tough on a lot of drummers. i would say expect at least tier 4 for all drums, if not tier 5, and devil heads on "The Stranger"

keep them coming folks!
    edited September 2009
    Lizard_King;3097865 said:
    question,
    dont the buyers get to play 35% of the song on one instrument without paying for it, and re test it on all instruments? if thats true, theyll get to play around 2:25 of the song, and that means the drums will have kicked in by then, so hopefully that will mean something :)
    No, it's 35% or one minute, whichever is shorter. You can, however, choose the section of the song that will play in the 30-second audio preview (the one you hear when you are picking songs in the menu) so you could pick the more "interesting" part for that. :)
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited September 2009
    Lizard_King;3097865 said:
    and actually, all the drum songs are going to be really difficult, the bass pedal is hard to hear, since i only used two drum mics to record it, and its going to be tough on a lot of drummers
    One thing you really need to keep in mind: It's been stated by the HMX Audio Team that if a part cannot be heard, it should not be authored. That has come up several times in discussion of ghost notes on the snare, but it applies to everything on the kit. Authoring a bunch of kick notes when they can't actually be heard in the mix of the song isn't going to pass review.
    edited September 2009
    well hopefully RA does a good job boosting the bass pedal. i did the best i could haha.
  • ReygnierReygnier Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    No offense, but I don't like the idea of "hidden notes". It sounds like over-charting and "ghost" notes. I hope I'm wrong.
    edited September 2009
    Reygnier;3098371 said:
    No offense, but I don't like the idea of "hidden notes". It sounds like over-charting and "ghost" notes. I hope I'm wrong.
    Ghost notes exist, they are notes that are actually played on the drums. They're usually just very soft in the mix because they're not performed with a full strike of the wrist or arm. Sometimes a noise gate will even completely eliminate them in the final mix. There's nothing hidden about them, and authoring them would certainly not be overcharting as long as you can hear them.

What we're being told in the RBN Beta by the HMX Audio Team is that if you're going to author them in the drum track, they must be audible. That's what I meant.
  • ReygnierReygnier Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Thanks for clarifying. What I meant then is that I hope it doesn't becomes a trend in RBN to include "extra" notes. If a song isn't hard, don't make it hard. But yeah, it would be annoying to play silence. Kinda like the end of All you need is love in expert guitar. That part is just annoying, since you are not even playing guitar to start with.
    edited September 2009
    davidshek;3098407 said:
    Ghost notes exist, they are notes that are actually played on the drums. They're usually just very soft in the mix because they're not performed with a full strike of the wrist or arm. Sometimes a noise gate will even completely eliminate them in the final mix. There's nothing hidden about them, and authoring them would certainly not be overcharting as long as you can hear them.

What we're being told in the RBN Beta by the HMX Audio Team is that if you're going to author them in the drum track, they must be audible. That's what I meant.
    this is what im referring to. its just the way the bass pedal was recorded that the kicks just dont register very loudly in the mix. on the masters they are perfectly audible. but in the mix they dont register very well, just because of the way i produced it. if you want me to upload a master track of drums, you can hear the bass pedal notes yourself, and then compare it to the original song, and see what i mean...
    edited September 2009
    Lizard_King;3098481 said:
    this is what im referring to. its just the way the bass pedal was recorded that the kicks just dont register very loudly in the mix. on the masters they are perfectly audible. but in the mix they dont register very well, just because of the way i produced it. if you want me to upload a master track of drums, you can hear the bass pedal notes yourself, and then compare it to the original song, and see what i mean...
    No worries dude, it's not that I don't believe you when you say they're there. :) I'm just saying that for RBN authoring purposes, if you can't hear them in the mix, you're not supposed to author them. Regardless of whether they were actually played or not, or whether they are audible in the masters. They need to audible in the final mix.
    edited September 2009
    davidshek;3098526 said:
    No worries dude, it's not that I don't believe you when you say they're there. :) I'm just saying that for RBN authoring purposes, if you can't hear them in the mix, you're not supposed to author them. Regardless of whether they were actually played or not, or whether they are audible in the masters. They need to audible in the final mix.
    i understand where your coming from. i think in the case of "The Stranger" and "Killers" i did a pretty good job of bringing it out, but in "For the Strange" i could have done a better job, so if i need to i can do some remastering to bring out the pedal so its more audible. its audible at the moment, but barely. if you have an opinion concerning any of the three songs on this subject id love to hear it.
    edited September 2009
    Just wanted to say that Bright Midnight is on Twitter, please follow us, we really appreciate the support.
    www.twitter.com/bright_midnight

Thanks guys!
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited October 2009
    I'll be sure to download these. I particularly like The Stranger.
    edited October 2009
    instantdeath999;3104685 said:
    I'll be sure to download these. I particularly like The Stranger.
    thanks man! the tracks are going to be fun to play on all instruments, particularly drums. i do appreciate the listening!