Question about Magma file transfers...

HeXcodaHeXcoda Road Warrior
edited February 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Does Magma transfer files over your local LAN (PC to 360), or over the net? I've always had problems linking the PC to my 360 for media center type stuff... the router hates to do it, or something.

I'd hate to get an XNA subscription once we hit open beta only to find out that my PC refuses to talk to my 360 and thus it's wasted money. If that's the case, anybody got a guide for making the two cooperate?

(I'm keen on XNA for indie game development, too... the upcoming open beta is just icing on the delicious cake.)

Comments

• davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited September 2009
    HeXcoda;3085232 said:
    Does Magma transfer files over your local LAN (PC to 360), or over the net? I've always had problems linking the PC to my 360 for media center type stuff... the router hates to do it, or something.
    It uses your LAN. When you install Magma, the installer will open the correct port on your Windows Firewall to connect to your Xbox.

The connection between your PC and your Xbox is over uPnP (Universal Plug-and-Play), and you can read more about that here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886257
  • HeXcodaHeXcoda Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Thanks for the tip -- I didn't have uPnP installed. I don't use the Windows Firewall (zone alarm uber alles) so that may also be a factor, but I'm gonna give Media Center a try again. If it works this time there's hope for XNA.
  • HeXcodaHeXcoda Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I got it working. If anybody else is in the same boat I am, here's the trick.

1. Your router needs uPnP turned on. Many don't have this on by default.

2. Your firewall needs the right ports opened. The default Windows Firewall (craaaappy...) will open up for you once you tell Windows Media Player you want to share your music, but I use ZoneAlarm. I had to go into the settings and add the IP Address of my 360 as 'trusted' before it'd let the thing talk to me.

This is a good test to see if you're going to be able to use RBN's Magma tool; if you can get your 360 to play media from your PC, then you're likely all set. If not, don't drop coin on that XNA sub just yet.
  • DanB91DanB91 Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    (also for everyone else who has trouble)

I suggest trying to get a trial version of XNA first to see if your 360 will talk to your computer. You only need the $99 version to put the song on RBN, not to use audition mode.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited September 2009
    DanB91;3093796 said:
    I suggest trying to get a trial version of XNA first to see if your 360 will talk to your computer. You only need the $99 version to put the song on RBN, not to use audition mode.
    You don't need any XNA membership to see if your 360 will talk to your PC. If you can set up Windows Media Connect on your PC (the app that lets you stream MP3s/movies/etc to your Xbox) and it can find your Xbox, Magma will be able to also. I believe WMC was integrated into the latest couple versions of Windows Media Player, so it's not a separate app anymore.

And I really wish you'd quit touting the trial XNA membership all over the forums, Dan. Most people won't have the option of getting that, unless they're in school or through some other promotion.

Right here, from XNA's website:
    Trial membership can be acquired through the MSDN® Academic Alliance, Microsoft® Faculty Connection, Microsoft Dream Spark, the Dream-Build-Play 2009 contest registration, and several other academic sources.
  • DanB91DanB91 Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    davidshek;3093861 said:

And I really wish you'd quit touting the trial XNA membership all over the forums, Dan. Most people won't have the option of getting that, unless they're in school or through some other promotion.

Right here, from XNA's website:
    I forgot that you need to be in school for that. sorry :(. But no harm done because it's still free you don't really have to pay for XNA until you are ready to upload it. Plus, when I applied for it, they didn't even check that I was in school
  • EvileOLEvileOL Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    Ollllllld thread revival

I see above that someone said if the Xbox can connect to Windows Media Center, Magma will b e able to find the PC. In my case they talk to each other in regards to the media center, but in direct to each other, they just dont see each other