Word of etiquette, don't email major artists please!

robert01robert01 Unsigned
edited September 2009 in The Rock Band Network
Hi there,
My name is Robert and I work for the licensing division for a major international record label. Because of my position, I can't disclose the company I work for, but to count we have about 175 active major artists signed with us ranging from hip-hop, to country, to Top 40. I come here speaking for myself, but as a kind of "open letter" from other major record labels who are running into the same problem.

Very recently I have had more then a lion's share of "licensing requests", (I term I use very loosely), for Rock Band Network. Many are being forwarded by A&R, and some by the artists themselves. As much as I appreciate fans taking upon themselves to try and bring our music into a new medium, I'm sorry to say that you are going about it the wrong way, and in fact, is becoming an enormous waste of time for myself. I'm now devoting much of my time having to correspond with artists warning them that they do not own the rights to their songs and can not give permission. Some of this this is my fault, as I took the initiative to make sure everyone was on the level when it came to licensing. Somehow I became the local "the Rock Band Guy" (which is somewhat amusing as we already have a "Rock Band Guy", who is in a whole other non-music division of our parent company.)

This would not be so bad, but many of these requests from the fans are often childish, na

Comments

• ThunderCurlsThunderCurls Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
  • OzSkyBlueOzSkyBlue Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    You know, I found this quite interesting, and an important cautionary tale, until this line:
    robert01;3093267 said:
    It's nice to play pretend with your little plastic guitars, but if you want to play with the big boys I suggest you grow up a little first.
    After which, I couldn't help but think that this condescending tool deserves to have his time wasted.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited September 2009
    robert01;3093267 said:
    It's nice to play pretend with your little plastic guitars, but if you want to play with the big boys I suggest you grow up a little first.
    If you are actually an employee of a record label, may I suggest not insulting the consumers who buy your products?
  • KlostrophobikKlostrophobik Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Remember boys and girls, this is the same guy who's probably suing internet radio stations and short-paying bands like Pink Floyd who deserve every penny and more for the amazing work they've performed. You should all do exactly what he says cause he such a nice guy.

This is why I hate big record labels.
  • ThunderCurlsThunderCurls Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    trg007;3093306 said:
    If you are actually an employee of a record label, may I suggest not insulting the consumers who buy your products?
    Without specifically stating which label he is representing, it really doesn't matter.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited September 2009
    I understand the frustration, but the way you word this message...

Way to be condenscending to your potential buyers there douchetits.

People like you make it easier for people to justify downloading music illegally(not saying I do this, just in general), because they feel justified in taking something away from snobby, know it all rich white boys.

It's nice to play pretend in the music industry with your little music executives, but if you want to play with the big boys I suggest you get some musical talent first.
  • edited September 2009
    I smell either a troll, or someone who really should leave communication outside of the company to the PR people. Either way, we're done here.
This discussion has been closed.