Abbey Road Medley

jemin2009jemin2009 Opening Act
edited October 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
Do you have to buy the full album download to play this medley or can the tracks be bought individually and still be played once the album gets pieced together? Can we get an official statement on this to clarify this.

Comments

• HazyCloudHazyCloud Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    jemin2009;3094045 said:
    Yeah I seen that. But does that mean you can't piece it together and play the medley?

The End is already on disc so that already has to be pieced together. Just want an official say so either way. It would help me decide on how I plan on purchasing it.
    I've heard both from HMX. It can be played as a medley or as separate songs.
  • jemin2009jemin2009 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    HazyCloud;3094064 said:
    I've heard both from HMX. It can be played as a medley or as separate songs.
    That's not the question.
  • MANichols717MANichols717 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    The medley, I assume, would be played without the break between the songs that would appear if you just pieced it together like a playlist.. Medley just being continuous from front to end
    edited September 2009
    jemin2009;3094045 said:
    Yeah I seen that. But does that mean you can't piece it together and play the medley?

The End is already on disc so that already has to be pieced together. Just want an official say so either way. It would help me decide on how I plan on purchasing it.
    jemin2009;3094070 said:
    That's not the question.
    I guess I read your posts wrong. What's the question?
  • Lawl01Lawl01 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    jemin2009;3093661 said:
    Do you have to buy the full album download to play this medley or can the tracks be bought individually and still be played once the album gets pieced together? Can we get an official statement on this to clarify this.
    I don't see why you couldn't, as long as you get necessary songs. I doubt they are going to require you buy songs outside the medley to play it. I could be wrong, so take it as a grain of salt.
  • Alonzo1948Alonzo1948 Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    HazyCloud;3093771 said:
    From the press release...

"In addition, purchasers of the full album download of Abbey Road will have the option to play the famous 16-minute B-side medley as a single continuous track. The medley includes “You Never Give Me Your Money,” “Sun King,” “Mean Mr. Mustard,” “Polythene Pam,” “She Came In Through The Bathroom Window,” “Golden Slumbers,” “Carry That Weight” and “The End."
    How would that work out for wii owners?
    edited September 2009
    Lawl01;3094161 said:
    I don't see why you couldn't, as long as you get necessary songs. I doubt they are going to require you buy songs outside the medley to play it. I could be wrong, so take it as a grain of salt.
    This.

I know you have to have the required songs. I just am looking to know if you can buy the songs seperately (as long as you eventually buy all the songs required) to play the medley. Instead of having to buy it all at once.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited September 2009
    jemin2009;3094180 said:
    This.

I know you have to have the required songs. I just am looking to know if you can buy the songs seperately (as long as you eventually buy all the songs required) to play the medley. Instead of having to buy it all at once.
    You can buy the songs separately. But the Medley itself is one big file, 16-minute long song. You can't buy the separate songs and then piece it together yourself (unless you do a Make a Setlist thing, and that won't be the same).
    edited September 2009
    davidshek;3094208 said:
    You can buy the songs separately. But the Medley itself is one big file, 16-minute long song. You can't buy the separate songs and then piece it together yourself (unless you do a Make a Setlist thing, and that won't be the same).
    HMX has said you can buy the medley separate? The PR says that it only comes with a full album download.

From what I understand, you HAVE to buy the whole album as a single download and that will include the medley. Then you can play the medley as one song or broken up.
    Alonzo1948;3094169 said:
    How would that work out for wii owners?
    It doesn't.
    edited September 2009
    This is for sure that the medley is one big file then?

If so I have my answer. I just haven't seen anything like this posted anywhere stating this.
    edited September 2009
    jemin2009;3094224 said:
    This is for sure that the medley is one big file then?

If so I have my answer. I just haven't seen anything like this posted anywhere stating this.
    My guess is that the medley is just bundled with the full album download. Sort of like a bonus to those who buy the whole thing versus picking songs they like.
  • rockfresh126rockfresh126 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Yeah my thought is that when you buy the full album, it might be listed as an extra "track." That way it's just all the songs as one...and hopefully a super mega awesome dreamscape throughout the whole thing
    edited September 2009
    HazyCloud;3094217 said:
    HMX has said you can buy the medley separate? The PR says that it only comes with a full album download.
    That's not what I said. I said you can buy the individual songs (the ones that actually make up the Medley) separately, since technically, they are individual songs.
    rockfresh126;3094275 said:
    Yeah my thought is that when you buy the full album, it might be listed as an extra "track." That way it's just all the songs as one...and hopefully a super mega awesome dreamscape throughout the whole thing
    The medley is not the entire album played through start-to-finish. Read here what it actually is:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbey_Road_%28album%29#The_medley
    The climax of the album is the sixteen-minute medley consisting of several short songs, both finished and unfinished, blended into a suite by McCartney and Martin. Most of these songs were written (and originally recorded in demo form) during sessions for The Beatles and the "Get Back"/Let It Be sessions.

"You Never Give Me Your Money" is the first song of the Abbey Road medley. It was written by McCartney and based loosely on The Beatles' financial problems with Apple. (Paul had refused signing Allen Klein as their new manager.) It slowly and quietly follows into "Sun King" (which, like "Because", showcases Lennon's, McCartney's, and Harrison's overdubbed harmonies), "Mean Mr. Mustard" (written during The Beatles' trip to India), and "Polythene Pam" (contributed by Lennon). These in turn are followed by four McCartney songs, "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window" (written after a fan came into McCartney's residence literally through the bathroom window[11]), "Golden Slumbers" (based on lyrics but not the music of Thomas Dekker's 17th-century song of the same name), "Carry That Weight" (featuring chorus vocals from all four Beatles), and the climax, "The End".
  • deadpool247deadpool247 Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    Here's what I would love to see in the Medley version of The End:

When it comes to each solo, have it go back to each section of the game.

Paul's 1st solo -- cut back to the Cavern Club, and you see him playing there
    George's 1st -- cuts to the Ed Sullivan Show
    John's 1st -- Shea Stadium
    Paul's 2nd -- Budokan
    George's 2nd -- "Harrison Hill"
    John's 2nd -- "Lennon Land"
    Paul's, George's, and John's 3rd -- the rooftop

Then it concludes in the studio.

That's what I'd like to see. But...we'll see how it's set up.
    edited September 2009
    davidshek;3094340 said:
    That's not what I said. I said you can buy the individual songs (the ones that actually make up the Medley) separately, since, you know, they're on Side One of the album.]
    I had no idea the songs in the medley were available on side one of the record. *facepalm* If the songs are available on side one, why is HMX releasing a "bonus" medley? That doesn't make a lick of sense. Were the songs on the B side the same ones released on side one?
  • SirDrexlSirDrexl Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I assume the medley has to be one file, because for each individual song, they add a few seconds of silence/clicks at the beginning, to show the tempo and get everyone started at the right time. I guess for the medley, you'll just get the setup for You Never Give Me Your Money.
    edited September 2009
    HazyCloud;3094592 said:
    I had no idea the songs in the medley were available on side one of the record. *facepalm* If the songs are available on side one, why is HMX releasing a "bonus" medley? That doesn't make a lick of sense. Were the songs on the B side the same ones released on side one?
    Nah, the versions on the B side in the medley are all slightly different, read the description up there that I posted about the medley. It's mostly demo sessions, blended together into one long track.
    edited September 2009
    davidshek;3094707 said:
    Nah, the versions on the B side in the medley are all slightly different, read the description up there that I posted about the medley. It's mostly demo sessions, blended together into one long track.
    I just saw that. Good to know they are at least slightly different.
  • ReverseEngineerReverseEngineer Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    davidshek;3094707 said:
    Whoa, this is misinformation, somewhat, and I wonder if you've actually heard the LP recording of the album.

Side A is a collection of singles (none of which are part of the medley, four of which are already in the game)
    Side B is "Here Comes the Sun" and the medley.

The songs in the medley don't appear anywhere (released) besides side B of Abbey Road.

My guess for what they'll do with the medley, based on released info, is give you the option to play it as one long track, or play the tracks separately. The only way to feasibly do this in the known RB engine is to make a separate file for the medley, and individual files for the tracks. As far as I can guess, the medley track will only be available with the album purchase.

There will likely be minor differences between the individual standalone songs and the medley, because some of those tracks end rather abruptly. But only HMX and sneak previewers know for sure.
  • justintimeROAjustintimeROA Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Someone posted an article that the Abbey Road medley will be available to play in its entirety, and also by the ways they were recorded. If you are not aware, some of the songs in the medley were recorded back to back in one take.

I imagine this is how you'll be able to play the songs:
    - The entire 16 minute medley ("You Never Give Me You Your Money" through "The End"
    or as they were recorded by themselves...
    - You Never Give Me Your Money
    - Sun King/Mean Mr. Mustard
    - Polythene Pam/She Came In Through the Bathroom Window
    - Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight
    - The End (obviously we can already do this)

This makes perfect sense to me because I think an individual dreamscape for the song(s) should be as they recorded it with them starting the recording in Abbey Road, shifting to dreamscapes, and then ending the song back in Abbey Road. So this is how Sun King/Mean Mr. Mustard and the other back-to-back recordings would be.
  • rocknrolxdxrocknrolxdx Banned
    edited September 2009
    I still haven't seen an answer to the question. Will we be able to buy the medley on its own or will we have to buy the whole album for it?
    edited September 2009
    ReverseEngineer;3095139 said:
    Whoa, this is misinformation, somewhat, and I wonder if you've actually heard the LP recording of the album.

Side A is a collection of singles (none of which are part of the medley, four of which are already in the game)
    Side B is "Here Comes the Sun" and the medley.

The songs in the medley don't appear anywhere (released) besides side B of Abbey Road.
    You're right of course, not sure what I was thinking when I posted that earlier...my bad.

Side B is Here Comes the Sun, Because, the medley, and then Her Majesty.
    rocknrolxdx;3095425 said:
    I still haven't seen an answer to the question. Will we be able to buy the medley on its own or will we have to buy the whole album for it?
    You have to buy the album. It says that right in the press release.
    edited September 2009
    rocknrolxdx;3095425 said:
    Its been said several times and posted in the PR. To play the 16 minute Medley as one track, you have to buy the full album download.
  • sandswipesandswipe Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    HazyCloud;3094592 said:
    NOT EVEN CLOSE

SIDE A
    1. Come Together
    2. Something
    3. Maxwell's Silver Hammer
    4. Oh! Darling
    5. Octopus's Garden
    6. I Want You (She's So Heavy)

SIDE B
    7. Here Comes The Sun
    8. Because
    MEDLEY STARTS
    9. You Never Give Me Your Money
    10. Sun King
    11. Mean Mr Mustard
    12. Polythene Pam
    13. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
    14. Golden Slumbers
    15. Carry That Weight
    16. The End
    17. Her Majesty
    MEDLEY ENDS

Most of the songs from 9 to the end of the album fade into each other, thus MEDLEY, but they are still counted as separate tracks with distinct names and apparently available for purchase separately in the game.
  • rocknrolxdxrocknrolxdx Banned
    edited September 2009
    davidshek;3095435 said:
    You have to buy the album. It says that right in the press release.
    Ok thank you but with reading all the other posts I was thorwn off a little by the other people who were confused like myself. And in this case I guess I won't be getting the medley because I a deffinitly not buying the whole album.:(
  • vcalzonevcalzone Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    EVERYONE should totally get the whole album, first of all. Especially the people on here, because we are the ones most keenly aware that future DLC depends on how it sells now.

Secondly, for the Wii medley thing, I really think we'll get it as a downloadable track. I also think we'll have to pay more money for it, and that's going to be the tradeoff.
    edited September 2009
    rocknrolxdx;3095445 said:
    Ok thank you but with reading all the other posts I was thorwn off a little by the other people who were confused like myself. And in this case I guess I won't be getting the medley because I a deffinitly not buying the whole album.:(
    Why not? The Medley itself is worth the $17 in my opinion. Because, Oh! Darling, and Maxwell's Silver Hammer just top it off!
    edited September 2009
    sandswipe;3095444 said:
    NOT EVEN CLOSE

SIDE A
    1. Come Together
    2. Something
    3. Maxwell's Silver Hammer
    4. Oh! Darling
    5. Octopus's Garden
    6. I Want You (She's So Heavy)

SIDE B
    7. Here Comes The Sun
    8. Because
    MEDLEY STARTS
    9. You Never Give Me Your Money
    10. Sun King
    11. Mean Mr Mustard
    12. Polythene Pam
    13. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
    14. Golden Slumbers
    15. Carry That Weight
    16. The End
    17. Her Majesty
    MEDLEY ENDS

Most of the songs from 9 to the end of the album fade into each other, thus MEDLEY, but they are still counted as separate tracks with distinct names and apparently available for purchase separately in the game.
    I see. The songs in the medley will be available separately but if you want to play the medley as one track, you'll need to download it as a full album. Is this correct?
    edited September 2009
    HazyCloud;3097257 said:
    I see. The songs in the medley will be available separately but if you want to play the medley as one track, you'll need to download it as a full album. Is this correct?
    Right, that's what I was trying to say yesterday. :)
    edited September 2009
    davidshek;3097274 said:
    Right, that's what I was trying to say yesterday. :)
    It all makes sense now. ;)