When can the little guy get his chance?

EndfinityJonEndfinityJon Unsigned
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
Hello fellow rockers,

My name's Jon and I'm quite interested in RBN. I've followed rhythm titles for a very long time and have always dreamed of the opportunity to get my music into these games. Guitar Hero struck first with their (crappy) version of a studio, and I knew it was only a matter of time before Rock Band would rebuttal with something better. I did however take the time to delve into GH's studio and despite how limiting it was, I managed to move quickly up the charts eventually having 4 out of 5 songs make it to the #1 spot at one point or another in their career of living on the service as well as breaking into the top 5 artists. I eventually stopped after my fifth because the amount of time needed to make a decent song outweighed the fact that the song still sounded like crap, and it was fake! :)

I've signed up for the beta for RBN, and I haven't heard anything back. I'm a home recording musician, I play guitar and bass, I sing, and then I'll track other things like drums and other textures over top. I'm the perfect combo of gamer and musician and I believe I'm just the type of person Harmonix had in mind when they created this service. I know how to track things to create a solid playing experience and I'm currently writing songs based just around this new service. Only thing that's wrong is it seems like others are getting to use the service and I am not. I'm really ready to start and I'd love to know how I can get into this amazing opportunity. So...how do I do it?

Thanks for the advice in advance!
~Jon

Comments

• afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    just give it a little more time, jon...
    they're still in closed beta, but will be opening the beta up to those who signed up soon (october's what i've heard before opening it up to everyone a month later).
  • AKALinkAKALink Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    you could submit your music to RA to see if they want to chart your music.
  • iruhlmaniruhlman Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Jon,

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156832

Many of us are doing the exact same thing right now in our home studios, so your not alone...

these guys can help you get going right now or if you can wait with the rest of us for the docs/closed beta to open up in Oct. to the masses you chart stuff yourself.

You'll need a few things in prep for this when it does release to the masses...

http://creators.rockband.com/

XNA membership (100 bucks a year)
    Xbox Live gold membership (50 bucks a year)
    an Xbox 360 with a copy of RB2
    must be a US resident to work with Microsoft
    Reaper program (60 bucks)
    Magma program (dunno the cost?)
    Lots of time to code tracks yourself in Reaper - all 4 instruments (where applies, you can have just 1 instrument but keep in mind its a 4 player game) and all 4 difficulties including time to alter stage/animation effects (optional).....

I'm sure someone will fill in something i might have missed.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited September 2009
    iruhlman;3101209 said:
    Magma program (dunno the cost?)
    Magma is free, as is the RBN plugin for Reaper that HMX will be releasing with the Beta testing.

As for dates, here's what we've been told:
    HMXEnosity;3093941 said:
    Sometime in October is the start of Public Beta for RBN
    Sometime in November The RBN Store will launch in RB2
    HMXEnosity;3094708 said:
    The tools and documentation will be coming out before Public Beta starts.
    edited September 2009
    thanks Dave. I forgot they said those docs are due out before the closed beta opens.

Also should note you can get a version of the XNA membership for half the time @ half the cost.
  • MarsPhoenixMarsPhoenix Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    If you're sure you can chart your own material, then don't submit it to anyone. You'll make more money if you're entirely independent, and you'll probably be more satisfied with your work since you know how everything in the chart should look. You can get Reaper free for a month and just 4 months of XNA for $50 if I recall, so if you can get all your stuff charted quickly, you should only be spending $50 plus the cost of a Gold account.

Beta should not be far away. Best of luck, dude!
  • Lizard_KingLizard_King Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    im in the same position, but i decided, since im up at school, that i didnt have the time to do all the charting, so sent my songs off to RA, and sure enough they accepted them! so you can give that a shot and save yourself the time. yeah, income goes down if you use a third party, but im not really in it for the money, so its not a big deal:)
  • EndfinityJonEndfinityJon Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies, October can't get here sooner! From the above posts did we determine if Reaper was free or not? Also, will this software work for Mac?

I'm not too sure about sending my stuff off to someone, one of the things I really loved about the GH studio was charting my own tracks and trying to come up with something that was fun yet challenging for the more advanced players.

Thanks again everyone!
    ~Jon
    edited October 2009
    EndfinityJon;3104083 said:
    Thanks for the replies, October can't get here sooner! From the above posts did we determine if Reaper was free or not? Also, will this software work for Mac?
    Reaper itself is not free, a single-user license costs $60.
    http://www.reaper.fm/

But the RBN plugin for Reaper that HMX is releasing is free.

And no, Reaper does not work on the Mac, nor does Magma. But if you can run a Windows VM on your Mac, you can run them in there.
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Not entirely true. REAPER v3.11 is available as a beta for Mac. And I'll find the post by [HMXEnocity?] that says the plugins at least should work with the Mac version, unless something very recent came up to prevent it.

Everything else Davidshek said, 100% true.
    edited October 2009
    DavyinaToga;3104245 said:
    Not entirely true. REAPER v3.11 is available as a beta for Mac.
    Right, I forgot about the beta version of Reaper for the Mac. My bad.
    edited October 2009
    davidshek;3104185 said:
    Reaper itself is not free, a single-user license costs $60.
    http://www.reaper.fm/

But the RBN plugin for Reaper that HMX is releasing is free.

And no, Reaper does not work on the Mac, nor does Magma. But if you can run a Windows VM on your Mac, you can run them in there.
    any difference in the 2 versions of reaper? theres a 60 dollar one and another thats more expensive. (i think i read this on their website)
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited October 2009
    iruhlman;3105004 said:
    any difference in the 2 versions of reaper? theres a 60 dollar one and another thats more expensive. (i think i read this on their website)
    If you are using it for business purposes and your business makes more than $20,000 a year then you would need the commercial license. The regular $60 license is sufficient for anyone that's just using Reaper for RBN authoring. :)
  • socrstoprsocrstopr Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    iruhlman;3105004 said:
    I'll supplement that there is no difference in the software at all. Once you download the trial, you have the whole package; you just need to pay for what you are using it for.
    edited October 2009
    socrstopr;3105068 said:
    I'll supplement that there is no difference in the software at all. Once you download the trial, you have the whole package; you just need to pay for what you are using it for.
    gotcha. I'm guessing most of us indie dudes will be fine for the 60 bucks, your group might need the license ;)