If this crashes and burns...

SirRobin1tothe3SirRobin1tothe3 Opening Act
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
Look, I know a lot of bands want in on this. A lot of us (including me) are thrilled to have songs by these bands.

But I think another good hunk of the RB fanbase is not going to be interested by such underground music. Now, some famous bands are joining in on this, but what if the RBN doesn't net Harmonix any profit at all (I know they won't have to pay licensing, but won't they have to be paying for a bigger server to host all this stuff?)

Does Harmonix plan to cancel this service, provided that they lose money off of it? Because if they do I'll be a sad panda. :(

Comments

• cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    The fact that HMX doesn't have to pay licensing fees *is* one of the main reasons they developed this. TBH, I doubt they expect to make much money off this at all (other than, I believe it was said, a 20 or 30% cut); instead, it's something that makes HMX's workload a LOT easier and also, of course, will win LOTS of brownie points in the music community for bands seeking major exposure for little cost and effort without having to deal with the labels & producers.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited September 2009
    SirRobin1tothe3;3101647 said:
    If this crashes and burns...
    It won't. :)
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited September 2009
    ...I am sure that HMX has plans in place in case this experiment doesn't work. But, I also see this taking off pretty well.

My biggest fear is the % of songs that an individual will buy will be quite low. Because, IHMO, most indie songs are not very good. For every White Stripes out there you will find 100 bands that are pretty poor in song writing and style.

...and with 101 songs to listen to before you hit on that one great song, the popularity will wane pretty quickly.

Will it fail... No. Will there be more crap that gold... odd are Yes. Just remember however, some people's crap is other's gold. So, I dare say every single song released will find an audience as long as the flood isn't so great that finding that small piece of gold in that pile of crap isn't impossible.
  • Lizard_KingLizard_King Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    well i hope this doesnt fail, i'm going to have my music on there haha.

its not that big of a deal if not too many people buy my songs, im not in it for the money, i just want the listener/player to be happy. its good enough just to get the exposure haha.
  • RoflcopterrrRoflcopterrr Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    As far as I know, if this crashes and burns, Harmonix wouldn't be affected at all. Maybe some pride will be lost. They aren't losing too much money over this. The weekly DLC and this are totally separate. They still make plenty of money through rock band and DLC sales.
  • seinmanseinman Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Harmonix gets a cut of each sale, and Microsoft hosts the songs so server capacity isn't an issue. I don't see how it could fail due to either of those issues. Now, of course, if it's filled with ****ty music and a few good songs, it'll fail from that standpoint, but I don't see that happening. Yes, there's a lot of crap out there, but there's also a lot of great underground music that will thrive on RBN.
  • ReverseReverse Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Sayburr;3101937 said:
    My biggest fear is the % of songs that an individual will buy will be quite low. Because, IHMO, most indie songs are not very good. For every White Stripes out there you will find 100 bands that are pretty poor in song writing and style.

...and with 101 songs to listen to before you hit on that one great song, the popularity will wane pretty quickly.

Will it fail... No. Will there be more crap that gold... odd are Yes. Just remember however, some people's crap is other's gold. So, I dare say every single song released will find an audience as long as the flood isn't so great that finding that small piece of gold in that pile of crap isn't impossible.
    This is why giving the 30 second demo was a genius move.
  • kuiosiklekuiosikle Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Reverse;3103918 said:
    This is why giving the 30 second demo was a genius move.
    And the 1st minute (or 35%) PLAYABLE free demo.
    edited September 2009
    kuiosikle;3103925 said:
    And the 1st minute (or 35%) PLAYABLE free demo.
    lets be honest, charting a song takes a LOT of effort. you have to have a lot of technical know how to be able to do this, not to mention the time dedication, and a hefty cash constraint as well. I think that there will not be a lot of "at home charters" that can really churn out songs at a fast pace. sure they may do one or two songs, but the odds that they know what they are doing/pass peer review are going to be small.
    Most of the songs being put onto RBN are gonna be from the third party companies (Rhythm Authors, Rock Gamer Studios, etc.), and since those songs are "selected", they are not going to be crap. because of the way they do business, by taking a cut of royalties, they only make money when the gamer is spending money, so they essentially must give the gamer an "incentive" to spend there money, in this case a fun, well-charted, good song. therefore, they only pick good songs.

and the bigger bands that are going to be on RBN (The Duke Spirit, Attack! Attack! from what we know now) are going to most likely hire programmers to do their music, so it will also be a quality product.

HMX bands (Bang Camaro, The Main Drag) are already programmers, so they essentially are exceptions to the "at home" charters.

essentially, with third party companies in place, the music will not be garbage, and will not "crash and burn"

this is of course, assuming, that a large majority of the "crap" is coming from the at home charters, creating this "pile of crap music" that is hard to wade through to ultimately get to the "gold"
  • SniperBait728SniperBait728 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    ^ this spells WIN!!!

I think my DLC list would be even more varied if I could see some of the song charting before buying. some songs that are kinda lame lyrics-wise are quite fun to play instrumentally, and vice versa.
  • kuiosiklekuiosikle Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Lizard_King;3103959 said:
    lets be honest
    Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. :) I don't think RBN will "crash and burn" at all, which is why I think the playable demos are a great feature and wanted to point them out.

IMO there won't be any 'crap' to sift through, in terms of the quality of charting or musical artistry. The only sifting to be done is the consumer finding which songs in their favorite genres (and hopefully they try new genres) gives them a 'good vibe' and or a fun challenge to play through. And in my case weeding out which songs I have no hope of ever passing. XD
    SniperBait728;3103961 said:
    I think my DLC list would be even more varied if I could see some of the song charting before buying. some songs that are kinda lame lyrics-wise are quite fun to play instrumentally, and vice versa.
    Agreed!
  • DJPookaDJPooka Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    I really don't think this will crash and burn - I suspect I'm not the only person out there who's planning on dumping a lot of XBL points into this to download a lot of music...

I'm seriously addicted to RockBand, I rarely play anything else (got a ton of RPGs to play through and Dragon Age is out soon), and since RBN was announced I've been building up an account of points to use on it - looking at this list of interested bands and announced songs so far is incredible and it makes it all seem worth while. If some of the big name bands end up on there, how can it crash and burn, and the smaller indy stuff is gonna help.

Since RBN announced I've been picking up 2000 points a week, downloading all the normal RB songs (feed the addiction!) and saving the rest. I'm now up to just over 5000 XBL points waiting for the live date on RBN, and I'll be spending them all....
    edited October 2009
    DJPooka;3104421 said:
    I really don't think this will crash and burn - I suspect I'm not the only person out there who's planning on dumping a lot of XBL points into this to download a lot of music...

I'm seriously addicted to RockBand, I rarely play anything else (got a ton of RPGs to play through and Dragon Age is out soon), and since RBN was announced I've been building up an account of points to use on it - looking at this list of interested bands and announced songs so far is incredible and it makes it all seem worth while. If some of the big name bands end up on there, how can it crash and burn, and the smaller indy stuff is gonna help.

Since RBN announced I've been picking up 2000 points a week, downloading all the normal RB songs (feed the addiction!) and saving the rest. I'm now up to just over 5000 XBL points waiting for the live date on RBN, and I'll be spending them all....
    whoa haha. thats awesome. just hope you give Bright Midnight's tracks a listen :) (i do all the songwriting/guitar/vox/production/a little bass)
  • DJPookaDJPooka Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    The plan is to support the community guys first (so DavidShek's stuff, your stuff and a few others) and then go by genre - Southern rock primarily, then classic rock and so on - I'll avoid anything too mental until I've picked up the slower stuff I prefer listening to. 80 pts per track gives me 66 tracks with my current points total, and with at least another 4 weeks worth of points, I reckon I'll have another 2000-3000 points to spend! ;)
  • iruhlmaniruhlman Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    DJPooka;3105439 said:
    The plan is to support the community guys first (so DavidShek's stuff, your stuff and a few others) and then go by genre - Southern rock primarily, then classic rock and so on - I'll avoid anything too mental until I've picked up the slower stuff I prefer listening to. 80 pts per track gives me 66 tracks with my current points total, and with at least another 4 weeks worth of points, I reckon I'll have another 2000-3000 points to spend! ;)
    My plan as well minus the Joco track and now that Children of Nova track which I really like.

I've bought 100's of songs (seriously my hats off to you guys that can buy ALL of it), I need some good (lower difficulty) indie stuff in the catalog.

I have a hard time playing randomly with friends and the wife anymore as that f*ing Megadeth album seems to always pop up in the playlist! lol
    I mainly prefer metal and Vai stuff but I still love stuff like Van Halen (what guitar player doesn't really?) Pink Floyd and King Crimson.

Once all this launches and takes off, we should float a community thread of all the musicians/bands that are members here and will be bringing their own music to RBN. As you said these are the tracks I'm going to focus on first before venturing out into unknown band land. When I do get to that unknown band land it would be nice to be able to see these indie bands by state. Maybe I can then even catch the band live type of thing, guess thats a ? for the closed beta people or HMX.

Also just received a 2000 MS point card (actually is a Zune card) for my B-day which I'm saving for RBN

and for the record I can't see how this is going to crash and burn. I don't think it'll be as popular as the HMX store but I think thats kinda a given no? If anything I'm more interested in this indie stuff than the major stuff tell you the truth.
  • jeronemitchelljeronemitchell Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    I think the real success of RBN will be a function of the bands themselves... not simply from a standpoint of "good music", but one of "self-promotion".

I don't see a lot of people buying a lot of any band through simple browsing unless that band is INCREDIBLY good or is in a genre that does not have a lot of representation (hip-hop and reggae immediately spring to mind). However, it says a LOT when Indie Band Y has a concert and says "If you like this, play it on Rock Band Network! Rock On!".

Just like shows, merchandise, etc., I see Rock Band Network as another tool to allow an artist to make some money off of their music IF they are willing to grind and work at it...

EDIT: Prediction: Latin Music will turn out to be a bigger hit than expected...
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited October 2009
    jeronemitchell;3105608 said:
    I think the real success of RBN will be a function of the bands themselves... not simply from a standpoint of "good music", but one of "self-promotion".

However, it says a LOT when Indie Band Y has a concert and says "If you like this, play it on Rock Band Network! Rock On!".
    Yep, we've already started doing that at our shows. Plus, HMX has said they're going to do some promoting of RBN songs themselves, and if you're using a company like Rhythm Authors, they're going to do some as well.