Song Choices, Your Opinions

kuiosiklekuiosikle Opening Act
edited November 2009 in The Rock Band Network
Firstly, I know taking time out of your day to listen to music from someone you've never heard of can be a lot to ask for. But discovering new music is a part of what RBN is all about, right?

I'm going to be charting some of my friend's songs for him, and I'd like to know what songs of his most of you would be interested in playing?

http://www.myspace.com/cjambrosia

I'm getting the masters for "Leave Me Alone" and "Open My Eyes" to start off with.

He as more than just what's on myspace.

TL DR: click the link, what songs, if any, would you be interested in playing in rock band? Thanks!

EDIT:
I'll definitely be charting "Leave Me Alone" and a re-record of "Tell Me Why". Thanks for all your input so far. :)

Comments

• davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited October 2009
    kuiosikle;3104031 said:
    My musician friend was kind enough to offer me his masters to do some charting with
    Make sure you get that in writing, in a legally-binding contract that grants you the proper permissions to work with his copyrighted material.

And no, an email saying "Sure dude, use em!" doesn't count. :)
  • kuiosiklekuiosikle Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    davidshek;3104179 said:
    Make sure you get that in writing, in a legally-binding contract that grants you the proper permissions to work with his copyrighted material.

And no, an email saying "Sure dude, use em!" doesn't count. :)
    Oh, I know. Thanks though :)
  • jellisjeniusjellisjenius Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    If I had to pick one for RBN it would probably be "Open My Eyes".

Here's my unsolicited two cents though: your friend's skill with arranging and playing instruments is far beyond his skill as a vocalist and songwriter. I find the lyrics trite and somewhat cringe-worthy, and he doesn't make up for it with vocal talent. On the other hand, I really like some of the guitar riffs, particularly on "Save Me" and "Open My Eyes". I don't know if he has your ear or not, but I would diplomatically suggest that he looks to connect with a more talented lyricist/vocalist and go that route rather than the solo path.

Again, take it for what it's worth, I know it's more than you asked for, but since I took the time to listen to all the tracks I thought it only fair that I give honest feedback.
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for the input k-mac!
    jellisjenius;3113018 said:
    Again, take it for what it's worth, I know it's more than you asked for, but since I took the time to listen to all the tracks I thought it only fair that I give honest feedback.
    Thank you for your honest feedback, I can't say I disagree with it. He's done some collaborative work with other artists in the past and I'm sure he will continue to do so.

Honestly this is just a chance for me to have masters to work with and go through the entire process of creating a song for RBN. We're not looking for money or popularity. Admittedly it may all be too daunting and I might not even make it too peer review. But I'm perfectly alright with that.

I made this topic to figure out, if everything goes according to plan, some opinions on which songs would be the most fun playing experience in the end.
  • JPSChampagneJPSChampagne Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    I have an admittedly odd taste in music. I rarely like anything that turns out to sell very many records. Might keep that in mind. Also, I'm just skipping around in these songs to form an opinion. If I miss a solo or something and don't comment on it, my bad.

I really liked "Tell Me Why". Not sure how fun it would be on Rock Band, but I liked the song and that usually determines my purchase. The guitar could be some good, easy fun, though. "Save Me" sounds like a lot of fun to play, if it were charted the right way. Could really suck if it's made to be too hand-destroying.

"Leave Me Alone" is decent, but not what I'd want from this lot. "Can We" is okay to listen to, but it lacks the "might be fun to play" that "Tell Me Why" had. "Open My Eyes" has that cool strumming bit - reminds me of "Hymn 43" by Jethro Tull. Other than that, seems like it'd be a bit of a chord-fest. "Too Far Gone" could be fun on vocals, and that guitar solo makes it.

I'd go with "Tell Me Why". "Save Me", "Open My Eyes", and "Too Far Gone". If it had to be two songs, "Save Me" and "Too Far Gone". "Tell Me Why" is my favorite one to listen to, but as far as Rock Band goes, those two are the best suited.

I hope you go through with this, as I'd actually buy these.

EDIT: Does your friend have any feelings about giving out mp3's? I'd like to throw some of these on my mp3 player. Really decent stuff.
  • NionelNionel Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Man, this is some really solid stuff, if they were available I'd probably buy all of them, but I'd say that Too Far Gone and Tell Me Why are easily my favorites.
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for all the positive feedback!
    JPSChampagne;3119142 said:
    I hope you go through with this, as I'd actually buy these.

EDIT: Does your friend have any feelings about giving out mp3's? I'd like to throw some of these on my mp3 player. Really decent stuff.
    It's looking more and more like I will go through with it. Now the docs and Magma and the plugins are out I've had time to wrap my head around it.

I like your songs choices, something to note though is that he doesn't have all the masters saved from some of the older stuff, but he might do some re-records.

I'll have to ask him about mp3's of that stuff, but here's some stuff I know he doesn't mind sharing:

Big Balls: Just a fun cover with the voice over cast of a machinama webseries we work on together.

Land Of The Lost (Rock)
    : Cover of the end theme from the 70's tv show, used in the aforementioned webseries.

Whoops: CJ (in addition to creating, writing and directing the show) does most of score as well, here's a fun shredding piece I like to rock out to.

These obviously wouldn't be RBN candidates but you said you wanted some mp3's. :)
    edited October 2009
    Those covers are entertaining, but his original work is still my favorite of what I've heard. Listening to "Tell Me Why" again, I can really say I hope you wind up including that. I could see the guitar actually being some good, but simple fun. Something I could talk my less experienced friends into playing. My only request about it would be to change the fade-out ending to one more suitable for Rock Band. The song actually ends, so the decrease in volume could be easily changed. I hope your friend would be okay with that change, as fade-outs in Rock Band really take away from the experience. But I'm not here to tell you how to do it. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Anyway, I hope you wind up following through with the project and that these songs are wind up on the network. I'll certainly be watching out for them and occasionally check back in on this thread.
    edited October 2009
    Thanks a lot for the continued support! :)

I'll definitely be auditioning some stuff eventually. Right now my first priority is getting my degree next May and holding down a job, but I'll be updating this thread on my progress for sure!
    edited October 2009
    Bad news on the "Tell My Why" front.
    CJ said:
    Sorry, wish I did, but I don't [have the masters anymore]

Was thinking about re-doing it though. I'm a bit afraid of losing the "vibe" it has though. I'll muck with it a bit this coming week.

-C
    There's still hope, but I was looking forward to working with this one first. Ah well.

EDIT: He's already redone the guitar track
  • yaniv297yaniv297 Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Too Far Gone is pretty cool
  • JesusSilencioJesusSilencio Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Some pretty interesting stuff, and I could see some of it being pretty fun to play (mostly for guitar). Leave Me Alone and Open My Eyes sound very Collective Soul-ish (something that's been lacking in this game a bit), and Too Far Gone would definitely make an interesting chart.
    edited October 2009
    JesusSilencio;3141420 said:
    Some pretty interesting stuff, and I could see some of it being pretty fun to play (mostly for guitar). Leave Me Alone and Open My Eyes sound very Collective Soul-ish (something that's been lacking in this game a bit), and Too Far Gone would definitely make an interesting chart.
    I'm almost done with the expert bass and drums for "Leave Me Alone". Auditioning your work in the game is so much fun! I might do a preview vid if I can set up video capture.

I can tell the animation stuff is going to take me the longest. The stuff magma generates just wont do, haha.
  • CantistasNormCantistasNorm Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Dude rock band needs CANON ROCK
    edited October 2009
  • socrstoprsocrstopr Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    kuiosikle;3169528 said:
    Wee little preview.
    Sustain tails need a gap even when it leads into the same note :)

Also the second snare hit in the RY R Y bits was reeaaally hard to hear, of course this is youtube so who knows what it's like on your TV. I'd either boost the snare somehow or not author those if they are very faint hits though. Can't wait to see that guitar chart :P
    edited October 2009
    socrstopr;3169686 said:
    Sustain tails need a gap even when it leads into the same note :)

Also the second snare hit in the RY R Y bits was reeaaally hard to hear, of course this is youtube so who knows what it's like on your TV. I'd either boost the snare somehow or not author those if they are very faint hits though. Can't wait to see that guitar chart :P
    Ah. Wasn't sure since it was the same note, will do!

And I might end up dropping the snares since they're so faint. It bugs me without them though, the high-hat right after is more accented and while playing the double snares it feel natural to me, but that's what peers are for!

Thanks for the quick feedback.
    edited October 2009
    Hope you're planning to do some work on the animations. I know that's likely not your focal point at all, but I hope that's not something you're not planning to do more with.
  • NionelNionel Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Good to see you're going through with this, I'll be keeping my eyes open from these songs once RBN launches, I'll be getting these for sure.

The preview also looks pretty good, I agree that hopefully you'll do a bit with the animations, but like JPSChampagne said, I'm sure that isn't your top priority. Looking forward to seeing the final product and hopefully some of CJ's other songs in the future.
    edited October 2009
    Oh a definitely do more with the animation. Creating film and theatre are two of my biggest passions, so I'm all about a well crafted performance. I'm still learning the tools, and I'm sure it will take me a lot longer to be satisfied with the animations then the charts. :)
    Nionel;3170757 said:
    Looking forward to seeing the final product and hopefully some of CJ's other songs in the future.
    I've actually started working on another song for a different artist while I wait on some files from CJ, but I already tweaked some things after Andrew's pointers, and there will be more from CJ down the road (hopefully even more than "Tell Me Why")
    edited October 2009
    kuiosikle;3170097 said:
    And I might end up dropping the snares since they're so faint. It bugs me without them though, the high-hat right after is more accented and while playing the double snares it feel natural to me, but that's what peers are for!
    Honestly, I can't hear them at all either, so you're probably best off taking them out.

Also, I think it would make more sense to chart the open hat parts during the chorus to yellow rather than blue. That way, you can chart those snare+crashes to red+blue rather than red+yellow. Also, I'm pretty sure you're missing a hi-hat hit right before those snare+crash parts.

Looking good though. I'm definitely interested to see the guitar track and all the other songs' note charts.
    edited October 2009
    JesusSilencio;3171263 said:
    Also, I'm pretty sure you're missing a hi-hat hit right before those snare+crash parts.
    Can you give me the B.M.T for this? (if you can make it out on youtube)
    edited October 2009
    kuiosikle;3173666 said:
    Can you give me the B.M.T for this? (if you can make it out on youtube)
    I believe it's 35.2.500 (around 1:14 or so on the youtube video).

I am listening to it on youtube, so there's a chance that I'm mistaken. It's a little hard to tell since he's playing accents on the hi-hat.
    edited October 2009
    JesusSilencio;3174377 said:
    I believe it's 35.2.500 (around 1:14 or so on the youtube video).

I am listening to it on youtube, so there's a chance that I'm mistaken. It's a little hard to tell since he's playing accents on the hi-hat.
    The drum and bass are actually completely digital creations (wonder why i did them first? :P ). I checked the raw midi and there is no note there.

The mix will be a lot clearer in my next video, as CJ is currently uploading to me the masters. (I couldn't wait and have been working from an mp3 this whole time).
    edited October 2009
    kuiosikle;3177514 said:
    The drum and bass are actually completely digital creations (wonder why i did them first? :P ). I checked the raw midi and there is no note there.

The mix will be a lot clearer in my next video, as CJ is currently uploading to me the masters. (I couldn't wait and have been working from an mp3 this whole time).
    ah, okay. My bad then.
    edited October 2009
    JesusSilencio;3171263 said:
    I think it would make more sense to chart the open hat parts during the chorus to yellow rather than blue. That way, you can chart those snare+crashes to red+blue rather than red+yellow.
    I took your advice. Here's a new preview vid, now with 100% more guitar and vocals!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0dDpckHrMg

I haven't done anything with the venue track but adding sing alongs, so don't mind that just yet.
  • ImaCarrotImaCarrot Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Watching your venue track, I noticed a lot of the directed cuts are too close to other camera cuts, which results in a couple fast cuts that feel out of place. M38 or so is a drummer directed cut where he spins his sticks, that one is best used for when the drummer isn't playing and is about the come in, as is it looks silly since the drums are in fact playing.

Did you change the lighting at all during the song? Almost looks like it is set to default the entire time.

I bet you hit (or came close) to the limit for directed cuts :)
    edited October 2009
    Like I said I haven't done anything to the venue track but add in sing alongs and some directed cuts. Everything else is what Magma auto generated. I did notice there are a lot of fast cuts and that odd part on drums, I plan to change all that but I'm still working on the charts right now. Thanks for looking :)
  • ImaCarrotImaCarrot Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Magma won't auto-generate the venue track if there is already data present in the track. Unless you mean that you auto-generated first, then went back and added some directed cuts.

Rest of the song looked good to me, I didn't scrutinize the other tracks but I didn't notice any glaringly obvious mistakes either.
    edited October 2009
    ImaCarrot;3185663 said:
    Unless you mean that you auto-generated first, then went back and added some directed cuts.
    Yup.

EDIT: I've already received some good feedback on youtube, and I realize that apparently the charts would flat out fail peer review at this point. I dove into this head first with no knowledge of the programs or the charting process. My intention is to learn something new, so the more help I can get, the better. :)