Counterfeit Pennies - Coming to RBN

TheOzoneTheOzone Road Warrior
edited November 2009 in The Rock Band Network
From Philadelphia, this lesser known rock band is the first to sign with Ozone Records this past July. After a 3 year hiatus, the band is back with more energy, improved skills, and some kickass tracks!

Their new EP is titled "Fundamentals" is is due for release on iTunes later this Fall. Not only that, but the album in its entirety will also be coming to the Rock Band Network!

The six tracks coming to Rock Band are:

"All of Our Dreams"
"Can't Stop the Light"
(Preview)
"It Was Ours All Along"
"Say What You Want"
"Five More Minutes"
"Soft-Served Sweetness"

Here's a preview of what's coming your way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el_aYq1Ww2o&fmt=22

For more information on the band, please visit: http://www.myspace.com/counterfeitpennies.

I will post any updates in this thread. I hope you guys like the songs and love the charts when they're done. :)

Comments

• TheOzoneTheOzone Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Here is a Gameplay Peview of the song "Can't Stop the Light": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl0ToxqAZRY
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited October 2009
    OMFG LOL At those super speed actions
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Can't say I like the super-fast animations in that preview video. They look wrong.

Cool songs though, should be very interesting to play. Also, is the fact that for pretty much all of the preview didn't match the tempo lines on the note track intentional?

Also, there are a few errors in the drum chart, although I'm sure that they'll be fixed at some point.
    edited October 2009
    This is still an early cut. I'm going to work out the animation errors and other issues. Peer Review will also help with this.

Everyone please continue to give feedback so I can make corrections.

EDIT: Problem was the tempo. I couldn't get it mapped right, so I downloaded a program to get the accurate BPM to enter manually. Once I have everything moved back into place (which is a pain in the ass) I'll redo the video.
    edited November 2009
    JesusSilencio;3205186 said:
    A few things I noticed:
    1.) Those quarter note triplets on the red at 0:28 should have a yellow with them, since the drummer is hitting the hat and the snare there.
    2.) At 0:30, it's just double bass. There's no snare roll there, but he hits the snare with the cymbal
    3.) At 0:34, that first blue is a snare flam (so it should be charted to red+yellow). And right after that, the green+red hit should just be green.
    4.) At 0:47, those blue hits should just be on red (except for that last one, as that's actually a tom hit). The drummer is still hitting the snare drum, he's just putting an accent on that beat. Looking at HMX's past stuff, they'll occasionally chart snare accents to yellow, but not often, and only when the chart would otherwise be sorta boring. In this case, it doesn't really seem necessary to me..
    1) I felt that it would be impossible to hit with the reds going that fast, but I'll look into it with the corrected tempo.

2) There are snare hits, as I have them on separate tracks and they're both being hit. May be hard to hear, but it's happening.

3) I'll into it, but I believe there's 2 drum heads being hit for the blue + red. As for the red + green just being green, there's also a snare being hit with it heard through the separated tracks.

4) I'll re-evaluate this and may move them to yellow.

Thanks for the critique. I'm not a drummer, so it's tough getting it right. I'm relying on drummers in peer review to help point things out like this and I'll hopefully learn in time.

UPDATE: I have the tempo set right now and the vocals in place. The animations look 1000x better along with measure placements. After I move the rest of the pieces back into place and look into the changes above, I'll post an updated video.
  • JesusSilencioJesusSilencio Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    As it is in the preview video, the drum charting is pretty bad. Some of the problems seemed like they were due to not having the tempo set right, but there are a lot of spots where wrong pads were charted too.

A few things I noticed:
    1.) Those quarter note triplets on the red at 0:28 should have a yellow with them, since the drummer is hitting the hat and the snare there.
    2.) At 0:30, it's just double bass. There's no snare roll there, but he hits the snare with the cymbal
    3.) At 0:34, that first blue is a snare flam (so it should be charted to red+yellow). And right after that, the green+red hit should just be green.
    4.) At 0:47, those blue hits should just be on red (except for that last one, as that's actually a tom hit). The drummer is still hitting the snare drum, he's just putting an accent on that beat. Looking at HMX's past stuff, they'll occasionally chart snare accents to yellow, but not often, and only when the chart would otherwise be sorta boring. In this case, it doesn't really seem necessary to me.

I'll probably have more to say once the tempo/rhythm is figured out. There are a lot of little errors scattered throughout, and it's a little difficult to communicate exactly what/where they are when the tempo map is screwed up.

As far as getting the tempo right, it's explained in the specs pretty well, but if you found another way to get it done, that's fine too. Getting the tempo set right should have been the first thing you did, but it should make it a lot easier now.

Also, I could be mistaken about this (because I'm no bassist), but I don't believe the bassist is playing any chords. You might want a second opinion on that though.

Don't take any of this the wrong way. I realize this is a rough cut, just trying to help you iron out the errors so it's good enough for peer review.
    edited November 2009
    First, sorry, I was going off the time in the youtube video, not the elapsed time (I completely forgot the audition mode had that feature). My mistake with that, I should have been more clear. In terms of the elapsed time, it should be:

1.) 0.25.00
    2.) 0.27.50
    3.) 0.32.00
    4.) 0.44.50

With #1, you charted it more or less right all the other times the drummer plays the same thing (except you charted the hi-hat to blue). Charting it to yellow would make more sense (think of the people with Ions), but charting it to blue isn't technically wrong.

With #4, I guess I didn't really explain it well enough. HMX typically charts accents when a large part of the song is just on snare drum (see They're Red Hot, or Rude Mood). In your case, there isn't really a need to chart the accent to a different pad, just keep it on the red (keep the last hit on the blue though, just make sure you take out that simultaneous red hit there).
  • CCDaDonCCDaDon Headliner
    edited November 2009
    JesusSilencio;3205866 said:
    First, sorry, I was going off the time in the youtube video, not the elapsed time (I completely forgot the audition mode had that feature). My mistake with that, I should have been more clear. In terms of the elapsed time, it should be:

1.) 0.25.00
    2.) 0.27.50
    3.) 0.32.00
    4.) 0.44.50

With #1, you charted it more or less right all the other times the drummer plays the same thing (except you charted the hi-hat to blue). Charting it to yellow would make more sense (think of the people with Ions), but charting it to blue isn't technically wrong.
    When charting a song DO NOT thing about anyone other than the people who has the stock kit. Any other way will have you ending up with a wrong chart.
    edited November 2009
    CCDaDon;3205909 said:
    When charting a song DO NOT thing about anyone other than the people who has the stock kit. Any other way will have you ending up with a wrong chart.
    At the spot that I'm referring to, they're open hi-hat hits, which can generally be charted to either blue or yellow (or very occasionally, green). Now, in terms of playing on the stock pads, this specific part feels more or less the same whether it's charted to yellow or blue; it doesn't make you do weird sticking or crossovers or anything like that. But since the drummer is actually hitting a hi-hat there, and it makes little difference for the stock pads, it would be better if the Ion drummers could hit the yellow hi-hat pad for that part so it feels more realistic.

You're right in general; everything should be charted with primarily the stock kit in mind. For example, 16th note hi-hat beats should have the hi-hat charted to red to keep the sticking right for the stock kit, even though it doesn't allow the Ion users to use the hi-hat pad. But if there's a way to make it a little more realistic/enjoyable for the Ion users without hurting the experience at all for the stock kit users, I don't see a reason not to do it.
    edited November 2009
    New gameplay preview video for "Can't Stop the Light": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMyLdSyWqMc

EDIT: I know there's a blue note missing on guitar at 0:37, so please don't mention it. It's been fixed.
  • MrOwn1MrOwn1 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I think you're forgetting something.

*CoughTEMPOcough*
    edited November 2009
    MrOwn1;3249673 said:
    I think you're forgetting something.

*CoughTEMPOcough*
    Um, every measure's been tempo mapped. The vocals are slow, but all the instruments are going fast in the song. The song's tempo also goes way off during the chorus, which the band forewarned me about.

Didn't you see the version I didn't tempo map right where everyone looked like they were on crack?
    edited November 2009
    TheOzone;3250202 said:
    Um, every measure's been tempo mapped. The vocals are slow, but all the instruments are going fast in the song. The song's tempo also goes way off during the chorus, which the band forewarned me about.

Didn't you see the version I didn't tempo map right where everyone looked like they were on crack?
    Yeah, I saw that version. The countoff in the beginning is still off, and the tempo still sees off. It might be just me, though.
    edited November 2009
    MrOwn1;3250493 said:
    Yeah, I saw that version. The countoff in the beginning is still off, and the tempo still sees off. It might be just me, though.
    I'm going to work on the countoff, but there's a lot of off-tempo hits in the song. The band told me this was intentional and has made my life a living nightmare doing this song.
    edited November 2009
    TheOzone;3250560 said:
    I'm going to work on the countoff, but there's a lot of off-tempo hits in the song. The band told me this was intentional and has made my life a living nightmare doing this song.
    I feel sorry for you.

"I don't get why I seem to be lucky in terms of tempo mapping. Every band that I'm charting uses synth drums. Maybe bands with real drummers are scared of me?....."
    edited November 2009
    MrOwn1;3250564 said:
    I feel sorry for you.

"I don't get why I seem to be lucky in terms of tempo mapping. Every band that I'm charting uses synth drums. Maybe bands with real drummers are scared of me?....."
    Yeah, the drummer tells me part way through remapping the tempo "oh yeah, the we go way off tempo, especially during the chorus". Oh gee, thanks for asking me to do this song first when all 5 of the other ones are slower and stay in time. :mad:
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited November 2009
    TheOzone;3249568 said:
    New gameplay preview video for "Can't Stop the Light": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMyLdSyWqMc

EDIT: I know there's a blue note missing on guitar at 0:37, so please don't mention it. It's been fixed.
    Some of your vocal notes are off pitch from what he is singing. :)

M12 - "I can"
    M14 - "When I"
    M33 - "thought" (not off pitch but there should be a slide down at the end)
    M44 - "From the"
    M57 - "It's"

I am hearing more notes played by the guitar than what you authored. For example, in the ending part starting around M77 the groups of 3 8th notes should be an 8th followed by a gallop of 3 16ths.

You shouldn't have two consecutive notes of the same color representing different pitches, regardless of whether one is a HOPO. When the guitar is playing scales up the fretboard you want to wrap the notes (generic example: G R Y R Y B Y B O).
    edited November 2009
    trg007;3250687 said:
    Some of your vocal notes are off pitch from what he is singing. :)

M12 - "I can"
    M14 - "When I"
    M33 - "thought" (not off pitch but there should be a slide down at the end)
    M44 - "From the"
    M57 - "It's"

I am hearing more notes played by the guitar than what you authored. For example, in the ending part starting around M77 the groups of 3 8th notes should be an 8th followed by a gallop of 3 16ths.

You shouldn't have two consecutive notes of the same color representing different pitches, regardless of whether one is a HOPO. When the guitar is playing scales up the fretboard you want to wrap the notes (generic example: G R Y R Y B Y B O).
    Thank you for the feedback. I will implement it into the next version.

EDIT: Do note there's more than one guitar going during the beginning and end. I'm only charting the one doing the runs. There were 3 guitar tracks, so that's why you may be hearing a lot more playing than the notes.
  • CCDaDonCCDaDon Headliner
    edited November 2009
    The avatars still move like they're on crack, albeit a cheaper non effective type of crack.
    edited November 2009
    Some of the vocal suggestions were wrong listening to the track alone, but some were right (including the slide). The guitar has been changed up for the beginning/end plus the slides. Also drum rolls were charted more accurately.

Expect an updated video shortly.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QPqj43f6zM
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited November 2009
    No, they aren't wrong. Here is the entire section of the song presented in the video:

When morn- ing comes a- round
    F F F F F D#

I o- pen up my eyes there aren't a
    D# D# D# D# D# G# F# F C#

Set of blinds that can stop an- y of the light
    C# D# F C# C# C# C# C# C# D# C#

I en- joy the sun- ny weath- er
    F F F F F F F D#

I can feel all of the mist
    D# D# F F F F C#

When I put it all to- geth- er
    C# C# F F F F F D#

Ni- a- gara nev- er felt like
    C# C# C# C# C# C# D#

Re- as- sure me
    G# F F# C#

Eve- ry thing
    C# D# F

I thought + I knew +
    G# F# C# C# D# F

From the ho- urs on the road
    D# D# F F F F C#

To the days at the beach
    D# D# D# D# D# F

Fi- re- works were with- in our reach
    F F F D# C# C# C C#

What's that light run- ning in the sand
    C# C C# C# C# C# C C#

It's days like this
    C# C# C C#

That you learn to miss
    F F F D# C#
    edited November 2009
    Note: this was in response to your video before the edit. But it looks like most of the stuff still applies.

Drum stuff I noticed:

-At 9.1.00, it should be yellow+red (he's hitting the hat), with no red note at 9.1.25.
    -At 10.1.50 it should be yellow+red (again, he's hitting the hat).
    -At 17.1.25 there shouldn't be a red note.
    -At 18.1.00 there shouldn't be a red note (he's just hitting the crash).

It's about here (measure 18) that the tempo map starts to get off. I don't blame you too much, since they're playing sorta weird rhythm, and they aren't keeping time too well themselves. I'll try to say where each measure starts, maybe that will help some.

-Measure 18 starts with that first green note.
    -Measure 19 starts with the first of the next set of green notes.
    -Measure 20 is a little trickier, since there's no note there. It starts right after that blue cymbal crash (right before the double bass part). The blue cymbal (which should have a bass hit with it, I believe) should come at 19.4.50.
    -Measure 21 should be at the blue note at about 0:28.6 (in terms of Elapsed time).

The pattern repeats after that, so you should be able to figure it out from there. But once it goes to the verse(?), they band does the thing where they come in on the + of 4 (XX.4.50), so the start of the measure is right after that green cymbal. At that point, you started charting the start of the measure to the backbeat (ie with the snare hits), which isn't quite right. You fix it at 1:35 though.

Back to errors in the drum chart (I'll go off elapsed time from now on, since the tempo gets screwed up):

-At 0:27.5, I'm still pretty sure it's just double bass there (ie there's no snare). You say you hear snare though the snare mic, but I believe you're just hearing the snares resonant from the bass drum. The part doesn't make much sense if he's playing it on the snare (not to mention he'd have to be playing it really soft for me not to hear it). Also, the bass is too fast to be charting all of it (you should just be charting 8th notes, rather than 16th notes).

-Blue at 0:28.0 should be red+blue, should be bass hit with blue at 0:28.6, blue at 0:33.5 should be red+blue, red+blue at 34.2 shouldn't have the red there, blue at 0:39.0 should be red+blue, at 0:39.8 should be blue+kick.

-The fills during this section don't seem quite right most of the time. I can't really tell quite what they are though youtube, or without looking at the separated drum track, but I can hear some tom in most of them.

-Those off beat kicks like the ones at 0:52.5 aren't charted exactly right. They should be charted to the 8th note off beat (They should bisect the space between the yellow+red and the yellow). It looks like you charted them to triplets (12th notes).

-The snare hit at 1:00.5 is a flam, so it should be charted red+yellow. Also, I don't think there's a snare hit at 1:00.0, but it's possible I'm wrong (I don't have a high quality version to listen to this late in the song).

-There should be a yellow at 1:04.7
    -There should be a tom hit with the snare around 1:11.8 (so should be red+blue).
    -The drummer F's up the tempo a bit at 1:23. You charted it fine though.
    -Those snare hits at about 1:34 should have tom hits with them (like you charted the other ones).
    -The entire section at 1:35 the drummer is keeping time on the hi-hat (so it should be on the yellow). I believe he's keeping 8th notes, other than at the spots where he opens the hat.

A lot of spots, the rhythm is just charted kinda sloppily (like the part I was talking about with the off beat bass hits). Having the tempo set right would probably help that.

~

Just quickly with the guitar/bass charts, again, a lot the rhythm is charted really sloppily. One thing I noticed, the guitar/bass is strumming along to the drummer's double bass notes (at 0:27.5 and spots like it). The bassist is also strumming along to the drummer's snare hits at 0:44. The guitar doesn't sound right at 0:56 either.

Edit: Also, trg is right about the 16th note gallops around measure 77 (just saying since I noticed you didn't fix it).
    edited November 2009
    Thank you for the feedback. I'm remapping the tempo...again. This is seriously the worst possible song for your first RBN track.
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I feel you dude. It's not easy to chart when the tempo fluctuates (again, this is why you needed to get the tempo set well before doing anything else).

One thing that would probably help is if you click the "snap items to grid" icon on the midi note editor (ie the little magnet symbol). Most of the stuff they're playing falls on the 16th note grid. The main exception I'm seeing is the part at measure 18, which they're playing (roughly) quarter note triplets (6th notes), in which case you can set the grid to 1/8T for those parts.
    edited November 2009
    I think I'm temporarily shelving this song as it's taking way too much time with Crush 40 getting on deck to be charted next.

Hopefully I can get a better tempo'd track going soon, but I'll get to this one after I have more songs under my belt. Thanks for feedback though, and I'll use it all when I go back to the song. :)