RBN songs won't work in World Tour mode?

jtobiskajtobiska Unsigned
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
I just read that Harmonix PR released a statement that the RBN songs won't be playable in the World Tour mode of the game. I can't find any more information though. Does anyone know why this limitation exists?

Comments

• ElvishSpiritElvishSpirit Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    I would like a link to this, if you don't mind. I see no reason why this would be :\
  • JPSChampagneJPSChampagne Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    This has been clarified on here before. They quickly returned to say that they would still be playable on the "make a setlist" sets. I think they just meant that the RBN songs won't create challenges or be involved in "Battle of the Bands" competitions.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited October 2009
    ElvishSpirit;3117036 said:
    I would like a link to this, if you don't mind. I see no reason why this would be :\
    Link. They are "compatible" in a sense that you can choose them when making a setlist. Also, there will not be leaderboards for RBN songs.
  • RobbySuaveRobbySuave Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    Will they show up in random setlists?
  • edited October 2009
    No, they will not show up in Random setlists in Tour
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    HMXEnosity;3118552 said:
    No, they will not show up in Random setlists in Tour
    That's a shame (not a deal-breaker, mind you); hopefully that can be corrected with the inevitable RB3 or a patch way down the road.
  • vulcanjedi42vulcanjedi42 Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    That's disappointing. I was looking forward to playing my own stuff in Challenges. Does anyone know why it must be so? I mean, I'm not a programmer or anything, but it seems like it'd be more work to exclude them than to include them. I could easily be wrong, of course.
  • edited October 2009
    It's the opposite. It's more work to include them than exclude them.
    edited October 2009
    HMXEnosity;3118919 said:
    Well, I'm the last person to jump up and demand more features from the game, but I would definitely suggest that staff and management weigh the advantages of making the game include these against the drawback of time and money spent. I can totally understand not including these in Battle of the Bands, since that sort of thing has to be picked and put in manually all the time anyway, but a modification to code down the road to incorporate RBN songs into challenges and (especially) random setlists would have a lot of support. A number of people are already going to consider RBN songs inferior because of their shortsightedness about what it represents; but when the songs themselves can't fulfill the same functions within the game, they become technically right. Something to consider.
  • AgentespioAgentespio Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    Ultrace;3119835 said:
    A number of people are already going to consider RBN songs inferior because of their shortsightedness about what it represents; but when the songs themselves can't fulfill the same functions within the game, they become technically right. Something to consider.
    Exactly this.

So, if, say, Bleach by Nirvana comes into RB through RBN, its not going to be treated by the game the same way as the tracks from Nevermind are? That's going to be make things a little awkward...

If I understand correctly, its as if there's going to be a split between Harmonix Rock Band songs and those made through RBN. Bummer.
  • edited October 2009
    Actually, If an artist released part of an album on HMX DLC and the rest on RBN, the whole album would show up together when sorting by album.
    edited October 2009
    HMXEnosity;3122229 said:
    Actually, If an artist released part of an album on HMX DLC and the rest on RBN, the whole album would show up together when sorting by album.
    Sorting isn't the main concern (at least not for me), it's areas of gameplay (random setlists, challenges) where the RBN songs wouldn't show up. Literally you must pick a RBN song in order to play it in the game, and you can only do so from Make a Setlist or Quickplay. That gives the songs less value to many people. It won't stop me from buying songs, but I could see it being a factor for others. We see how much fuss things like gold stars create.
  • DJPookaDJPooka Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    As a slight extension to the random setlist/make a set list differences, what would happen if we did a "create a set list" and selected Random there - would that allow the RBN tracks to come up randomly, or would that still only work for standard RB/DLC tracks?
  • JackBNimbleJackBNimble Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Why are SOME of you nitpicking this to death? Obviously SOME of you don't realize what you are getting with the RBN ,and wheather some people find value in the RBN or not really is irrelevant.The simple fact is that the 360 is getting the FULL advantages of RBN and everyone else outside the 360 community is not.

I would be thrilled if the PS3 was getting all the perks of the RBN.

Enjoy it and be happy already.
  • DJPookaDJPooka Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    JackBNimble;3122958 said:
    Why are SOME of you nitpicking this to death? Obviously SOME of you don't realize what you are getting with the RBN ,and wheather some people find value in the RBN or not really is irrelevant.The simple fact is that the 360 is getting the FULL advantages of RBN and everyone else outside the 360 community is not.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy, and I'm going to be spending an absolute fortune on RBN - but I generally play the WT, and I'd like it to integrate into that.

I do feel kinda sorry for you guys with other systems that aren't going to get the chances that we are, but you should be getting at least a good chunk of the tracks, and I'm sure something will come up in the future for you!
    edited October 2009
    DJPooka;3122987 said:
    Don't get me wrong, I am happy, and I'm going to be spending an absolute fortune on RBN - but I generally play the WT, and I'd like it to integrate into that.

I do feel kinda sorry for you guys with other systems that aren't going to get the chances that we are, but you should be getting at least a good chunk of the tracks, and I'm sure something will come up in the future for you!
    Well musical taste is a matter of opinion and to have someone else pick and choose some of the tracks out of the full setlist doesn't excite me.

Any dlc in BWT can only be played in the make a setlist or random setlist. So from what I understand is RBN dlc can be played BWT if you make the setlist just not in any random set or in any challenges or Battle of the Bands.

This still seems fine to me.
    edited October 2009
    JackBNimble;3122958 said:

Tone down the diatribe there. I made it clear in my post that this isn't a deal-breaker for me -- but the fact that people do make an issue of this is demonstrative of my point: that in order for RBN to achieve all it can, the songs should be functionally interchangeable with songs purchased normally through DLC. Otherwise, they will always be seen as "second-rate" from both a functional and a musical standpoint.
    JackBNimble;3123030 said:
    Any dlc in BWT can only be played in the make a setlist or random setlist. So from what I understand is RBN dlc can be played BWT if you make the setlist just not in any random set or in any challenges or Battle of the Bands.
    Don't forget challenges. They're not my gig personally, but I know many (including my wife) who love to do them. With the revelation that these songs don't fit into challenges, there goes your Johnathan Coulton challenge, for example (at least until more of his music comes out as regular DLC). So, your options for playing songs in RBN are roughly half of that of regular DLC (Quickplay and make a setlist versus those two options plus random setlist and challenges.)
  • guitarjackedguitarjacked Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    I'm a PS3 and I now feel less annoyed tha full RBN isn't coming to PS3 (not for the foreseeable future anyway). If HMX aren't going to patch this or make network songs integrated as much as regular DLC, they should include more make a set lists in RB3 tour mode. In fact they should do this anyway. I like making my own setlists.
    edited October 2009
    Ultrace;3123414 said:
    Tone down the diatribe there. I made it clear in my post that this isn't a deal-breaker for me -- but the fact that people do make an issue of this is demonstrative of my point: that in order for RBN to achieve all it can, the songs should be functionally interchangeable with songs purchased normally through DLC. Otherwise, they will always be seen as "second-rate" from both a functional and a musical standpoint.
    Diatribe.....really?I think that's a bit of an exaggeration don't you?And I didn't point you or anyone else out with my post , but you're just proving my point.

I fail to see how RBN dlc will not be functionally interchangeable with regular dlc just because it will not be in challenges or a random setlist.Just make a setlist , choose 10 songs and put 5 RBN dlc and 5 other songs of your choice and you have interchangeability right there.

I don't think people will look at RBN as second rate either but quite the opposite.This gives any Joe Schmo who has any musical talent at all an opportunity to get his music into RB ,so how do you figure this will always be seen as second rate?

I will say it again , the 360 is the only part of the RB community to get the RBN with all the bells and whistles while the rest of us get to watch with envy.So what if you don't get challenges or a random setlist , enjoy it and be happy!!
    edited October 2009
    JackBNimble;3123925 said:
    Diatribe.....really?I think that's a bit of an exaggeration don't you?And I didn't point you or anyone else out with my post , but you're just proving my point.

I fail to see how RBN dlc will not be functionally interchangeable with regular dlc just because it will not be in challenges or a random setlist.Just make a setlist , choose 10 songs and put 5 RBN dlc and 5 other songs of your choice and you have interchangeability right there.

I don't think people will look at RBN as second rate either but quite the opposite.This gives any Joe Schmo who has any musical talent at all an opportunity to get his music into RB ,so how do you figure this will always be seen as second rate?

I will say it again , the 360 is the only part of the RB community to get the RBN with all the bells and whistles while the rest of us get to watch with envy.So what if you don't get challenges or a random setlist , enjoy it and be happy!!
    In your original post, and again here, you make it sound like people on the 360 have no room for any critique of the RBN, since they have it so good compared to the PS3. Nothing could be further from the truth, especially since the issue being discussed would affect PS3 users just as much. Whether diatribe or not, your dismissive statements (of things that weren't even complaints) were a little overdone.

And I do think the lack of random setlist and challenge functionality of the songs will bug people. It's easy to say that people can just whip up a setlist, but many of these same people balked at ever keeping any sort of notes to indicate what their star count on a song was since the game didn't track it for them. Perhaps that's a bit more involved than the making of a setlist for these, but the same principle applies.

On a personal standpoint, I like the random potential for one of these songs to pop up. They are simply not going to be purposefully picked in setlists as songs that people do know, either in our household or in the majority of others. Random setlist compatibility gives these songs a "fair shake" at getting their play. Anyway, I've said my piece -- this issue is going to bother people, some significantly, and I think it hinders RBN's integrated place in the platform.
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited October 2009
    HMXEnosity;3118919 said:
    Really? I thought that it would take work to specifically program RBN songs to not appear in tour challenges or randoms.
    edited October 2009
    Ultrace;3124182 said:
    In your original post, and again here, you make it sound like people on the 360 have no room for any critique of the RBN, since they have it so good compared to the PS3. Nothing could be further from the truth, especially since the issue being discussed would affect PS3 users just as much. Whether diatribe or not, your dismissive statements (of things that weren't even complaints) were a little overdone.

And I do think the lack of random setlist and challenge functionality of the songs will bug people. It's easy to say that people can just whip up a setlist, but many of these same people balked at ever keeping any sort of notes to indicate what their star count on a song was since the game didn't track it for them. Perhaps that's a bit more involved than the making of a setlist for these, but the same principle applies.

On a personal standpoint, I like the random potential for one of these songs to pop up. They are simply not going to be purposefully picked in setlists as songs that people do know, either in our household or in the majority of others. Random setlist compatibility gives these songs a "fair shake" at getting their play. Anyway, I've said my piece -- this issue is going to bother people, some significantly, and I think it hinders RBN's integrated place in the platform.
    The point was made by HMXEnosity that it's more WORK to include them in challenges or random setlist, how much work is involved is anyones guess ,but it seems to me this is more of a personal problem for you.

And yes many of us PS3ers and wii owners have felt over looked time and time again, so when we see HMX bending over backwards for you 360 guys and you're still unhappy it gets irritating. You , Ultrace, don't know how good you have it , these are minor details that you yourself are making a big deal out of . Most PS3ers and wii owners would love to be in your shoes right now with or with out challenges or random setlists.

There is also an easy way to solve this problem for you, if this bothers you so bad then just avoid the RBN dlc altogether.
    edited October 2009
    JackBNimble;3124413 said:
    And yes many of us PS3ers and wii owners have felt over looked time and time again, so when we see HMX bending over backwards for you 360 guys and you're still unhappy it gets irritating. You, Ultrace, don't know how good you have it , these are minor details that you yourself are making a big deal out of.
    Well, in this case, yours (and anyone else's) put-upon attitude is out of place here and perhaps needs to be taken to the Sony forums somewhere since Harmonix has come right out and said that the PS3 and Wii simply don't have any sort of architecture to support the RBN. If those existed, they could be used.

I'll bow out of the thread now. I've tried to genially explain why I'm bringing up the issues I am, in the best interests of RBN itself, but it appears that, embittered by the shortcomings of the PS3 network, want to take that as rampant and unjustified complaining. Hopefully HMXEnosity got the message in the spirit it was intended.