I think the Elephino Represents...

Rich T.Rich T. Rising Star
edited December 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
...The Beatles' career, continuing on after they've disbanded, steadfastly spreading joy and magic as he marches along.

Any other interpretations to add? (And I still wish Harmonix would sell a lawn gnome version of it to plant a trail of flowers behind!) :)

Comments

• fuselage321fuselage321 Ringo Impersonator
    edited October 2009
    Its a mix of an elephan and a rino, other than that, no idea. But i remember that thread with all of the ideas for merchandice like a bobble head and an action figure. Im fourteen, but id start a garden just to get that.

Cmon HARMONIX, LAWN gNOMe!
  • TheBeatleHeadTheBeatleHead Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Garden Gnome Elephino? Unfortunately, I'd have a hard time convincing my mom to put it in the garden...

It reminds me of Shiva, which is a hindu symbol, and we all know India was important in the Beatles career.
  • ParodygmParodygm Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    TheBeatleHead;3120452 said:
    It reminds me of Shiva, which is a hindu symbol, and we all know India was important in the Beatles career.
    I assume you mean Ganesha?
  • gamegyro56gamegyro56 Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Parodygm;3120478 said:
    TheBeatleHead;3120452 said:
    Garden Gnome Elephino? Unfortunately, I'd have a hard time convincing my mom to put it in the garden...

Yea it was Ganesha. Shiva wasn't an elephant. Or a rhino. Though, Ganesha wasn't a rhino either.
  • RampantFrenzyRampantFrenzy Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    I think its just a trippy cartoon...
  • TheBeatleHeadTheBeatleHead Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Parodygm;3120478 said:
    Right. Pardon my ignorance.
  • centaur_starcentaur_star Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    'ell if I know.
  • EmalytheEmalythe Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    centaur_star;3120915 said:
    'ell if I know.
    This
  • elitemastersamelitemastersam Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    I Am the Walrus is playing. A nonsense song. The elephino is nonsense.
  • Rich T.Rich T. Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    elitemastersam;3121024 said:
    I Am the Walrus is playing. A nonsense song. The elephino is nonsense.
    That's what I thought at first, and it's probably the real answer. There was something about his appearance in the closing movie, however, that I found really touching....like suddenly he embodied the sum total of all the music the band created, and now had taken on a life of his own, heading out into the world.

I am reading *way* too much into this. :D

If I could design Harmonix's building, I'd put an eight foot tall elephino in the lobby.
  • l-o-tl-o-t Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Well, the Beatles were(still are in some respects) the biggest thing in the world. A cultural force that was impossible to ignore. Creating things beautiful and unique... sometimes a little scary and odd.
    The Elephino is representative of the Beatles in many respects, I think.
  • raveonedraveoned Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    l-o-t;3121832 said:
    Well, the Beatles were(still are in some respects) the biggest thing in the world. A cultural force that was impossible to ignore. Creating things beautiful and unique... sometimes a little scary and odd.
    The Elephino is representative of the Beatles in many respects, I think.
    I really like this explanation. Ever since my daughter saw it in the intro part of the game, she wants one either in plush or as a figure to have.

We've been calling it what was posted here some time ago, a "Rhinophant".
  • MandalaMandala Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    I think the 'Elephino' is overall a combination of nonsense and the Beatles' fascination with India in the later part of their time together. But being an Indophile, I also like the Ganesh theories...particularly with his happening to be the remover of obstacles. And as we know, there have certainly been no obstacles in the Beatles' legacy remaining as strong as it has been throughout the 40+ years, still is, and most likely always will be.
  • HamKetHamKet Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    What's more curious about the Elephino is that Harmonix doesn't call it an Elephino. If you've got the bonus photos unlocked, you can see a concept sketch of it, and it is labeled "Rhinophant."
    edited October 2009
    HamKet;3122561 said:
    What's more curious about the Elephino is that Harmonix doesn't call it an Elephino. If you've got the bonus photos unlocked, you can see a concept sketch of it, and it is labeled "Rhinophant."
    Aha...thanks. I'd switched from Rhinophant to Elephino because I liked the "'Ell if I know" pun. Guess I'll go back to Rhinophant. :) Nice replies, everyone!
  • ArothmanMusicArothmanMusic Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    I think it should have been a fox / octopus / rhino instead.

"What the heck is that thing?"
    "Foctuphino"
    edited October 2009
    well, there was some concept art from the opening that was never used that had the balloon from SPLHCB/WALHFMF flying by an octopus. Does that count?
  • MostSpartan14MostSpartan14 Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    HamKet;3122561 said:
    Really, I thought it was the other way around. I could be wrong though. I'll check later.
  • TaibakTaibak Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Not to dredge up old threads, but this may be of some relevance:

http://xkcd.com/28/
  • bobellis75bobellis75 Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Well...along the lines of the elephant and Ganesha....the elephant is the symbol of almightiness. It is the biggest and most powerful of animals and represents both the absolute and omnipotence. It stands for royalty, power, invincibility, infinity....and so on.....

As for the Rhino half of the animal....well a group of Rhino's is called a "crash" - because they can crash through anything in their way (and old legends say rhinos were able to fight fires by stomping them out).

Take all the stuff about the elephant (omnipotence, infinity) and add in the rhino being able to crash through anything...I guess those two combine into a force that would be comparable to the Beatles' music.....
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    One could also ask what the significane of the penguins is in that same scene, other than the fact the penguins are awesome. Like someone else said, I Am The Walrus is playing with that part and it's nonsense so everything that is going along with it is magical and nonsensical.
  • EpicBeatleEpicBeatle Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    What about that nice sun in the backround? I thought that was interesting. (You know, that sun with a black face, two eyes, split in half?)
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited December 2009
    You can catch Seymour & Pepe's take on the "Elephino" joke here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHGvIei1wVI
    edited December 2009
    I feel kindof wierd about posting this but.....

I drew pictures of the elephino and put them all over my locker at my school.:o
  • Gigli78Gigli78 Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    ArothmanMusic;3123323 said:
    "What the heck is that thing?"
    "Foctuphino"
    Good one! Nice play on "What do you get when you cross an elephant with a rhino... elephino (hell if I know)"

It could just be a Ringo request, though. In the special features for The Anthology (DVDs), Ringo made the music video producers for "Free As A Bird" go back and superimpose an elephant in during post production, simply because he likes elephants. It could have been the same type of thing here.
  • buffalopride11buffalopride11 Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    hate to sound like a nerd, but it's a rinophant, not an elephino.
  • PleasePleaseMeatPleasePleaseMeat Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    We pointed that out a few posts ago.

It's just a nice play with the phrase "'ell if I know".
    edited December 2009
    k-mac;3385914 said:
    One could also ask what the significane of the penguins is in that same scene, other than the fact the penguins are awesome. Like someone else said, I Am The Walrus is playing with that part and it's nonsense so everything that is going along with it is magical and nonsensical.
    The penguins look very upper-crust. I wish real penguins had monocles and mustaches.

Man, this would make a great Mario-style platformer...with a happy 16-bit remix of I am The Walrus playing in the background! I'd pick Ringo as my character....