XNA Creator's Club Free for (some) Students?

B1gb0ymageeB1gb0ymagee Unsigned
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
Hey everyone,

I know the title is a bit confusing but I was looking through something called MSDNAA, which is available for many University students, and basically is a site where you can download software such as Vista and other programs for free. You can go to the website and it list all the universities/departments that are part of it if you are not sure your school has this.

So as I was searching through all the available software I noticed something called "XNA Creators Club 12-Month Student Subscription" It turns out it is a 1-year subscription to Creator's Club for free.:eek::eek::eek:

I would like to know from Harmonix if the "student" subscription is any different and would not allow me to play songs?

Comments

• ImaCarrotImaCarrot Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    I'm pretty sure it works just fine, as long as you are a student anyway.
  • B1gb0ymageeB1gb0ymagee Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    ImaCarrot;3120934 said:
    I'm pretty sure it works just fine, as long as you are a student anyway.
    Hmm, are you just guessing? I guess it wouldn't hurt to try but I'm going to wait until open beta to try it out. I may even be able to get two years free (I have a joint program with 2 universities). :cool:
  • BillyBlaze314BillyBlaze314 Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    You can use it to audition, but I'm pretty certain you won't be able to peer review or submit songs.
    edited October 2009
    BillyBlaze314;3121041 said:
    You can use it to audition, but I'm pretty certain you won't be able to peer review or submit songs.
    Huh, that seems fairly strange but possible. All I really want to do is play all the songs, I wouldn't mind reviewing them but I don't think I'd upload anything.
    edited October 2009
    The student thing gives you a trial membership, see http://creators.xna.com/en-US/membership

I would imagine that creators.rockband.com will follow the same membership privileges as creators.xna.com, since they use the same memberships.
    edited October 2009
    BillyBlaze314;3121151 said:
    The student thing gives you a trial membership, see http://creators.xna.com/en-US/membership

I would imagine that creators.rockband.com will follow the same membership privileges as creators.xna.com, since they use the same memberships.
    Well, if playing songs counts as "downloading premium content" then I guess it doesn't work. Damn, that kinda sucks.
  • DanB91DanB91 Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    BillyBlaze314;3121041 said:
    correct
    edited October 2009
    DanB91;3122328 said:
    correct
    Hmm, does audition mean I can make songs and audition them or that I can audition other people's songs?
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited October 2009
    B1gb0ymagee;3124433 said:
    Hmm, does audition mean I can make songs and audition them
    I'm not even sure you can use Audition Mode with a Trial account. It very specifically says that it needs your XBL profile tied to a Premium account when you enter it.
  • iruhlmaniruhlman Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    BillyBlaze314;3121151 said:

indeed, the membership process is about the only link between the two services it seems.
    edited October 2009
    davidshek;3124496 said:
    I'm not even sure you can use Audition Mode with a Trial account. It very specifically says that it needs your XBL profile tied to a Premium account when you enter it.
    I have a confirmed report of someone with a trial membership being able to access Audition mode in RB2, so I know that much works.
  • xboxlivepersonxboxliveperson Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    I have a trial membership through MSDN and I can access audition mode in rb2. I don't have any files to test if i can actually play after transferring with magma however. If anyone has any files that can be sent to the xbox through magma, I can test to see if the trail membership works.
    edited October 2009
    xboxliveperson;3124709 said:
    I have a trial membership through MSDN and I can access audition mode in rb2. I don't have any files to test if i can actually play after transferring with magma however. If anyone has any files that can be sent to the xbox through magma, I can test to see if the trail membership works.
    Hmm, so I guess your not in the beta huh? Not many people are I guess ... it would be nice if someone from Hmx would confirm this.
  • xboxlivepersonxboxliveperson Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    B1gb0ymagee;3125655 said:
    Hmm, so I guess your not in the beta huh? Not many people are I guess ... it would be nice if someone from Hmx would confirm this.
    Nope, I wish I was. Like I said, if anyone has premade files that can be transferred over with magma, I can test if you can actually play it with a trial account.
  • Fo0dNippl3Fo0dNippl3 Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Audition mode works with the student trial of XNA and an Xbox Live Silver account.
  • matrix_loaded02matrix_loaded02 Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Fo0dNippl3;3126890 said:
    Audition mode works with the student trial of XNA and an Xbox Live Silver account.
    That's great news, I won't be able to get a Gold subscription or an XNA subscription for at least a week or two, and I'm dying to test out some tracks.
    edited October 2009
    Fo0dNippl3;3126890 said:
    Hmm, maybe I'll just start my subscription now and see if I can at least enter audition mode. The only thing is that I don't think I'll be able to play all the songs going through because I'd have to DL them. Oh well, have to wait and see.