Are we worthy, or even possible?

angrussangruss Unsigned
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
Http://www.myspace.com/purpfever

There are a lot of instruments missing from our songs, so we'd have to do a special recording, but I'm wondering if we are even worthy of Rock Band. From my work with FOF, I can say that we definitely can't chart our own stuff, but I'm wondering what you guys think.

Comments

• angrussangruss Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    We are running all our recordings through a crappy Radio Shack mic plugged into my friend's stock sound card. Once we get a little more rep, we're gonna purchase some really good gear, but with no real following outside our family members, theres no point in getting a multitrack recording system beyond what we already have. I suppose playing live will garner some attention. Rerecords are nessecary for some songs, especially "State Of Mind", which is bass and tamb on one track, and vocals on another, bass was too light, tamb was too loud, so we need a rerecord. Actually, the tamborine was out of lack of a drumset, thats supposed to be a hi-hat part, but the drummer's kit was at a gig his dad was doing.

Edit: I just saw the bass part, and would like to add that we, as a band, would rather have a song with bass featured then one with lead guitar. I'd also add that mostly, we didn't do multiple takes unless things were horrible, but multiples could be good in the future.
  • NSIYusukeNSIYusuke Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Ah, I see. I tried that for Bluefusion's "Thirteen", and it turned out rather well! But yes, don't feel bad doing multiple takes, it's all good!

Speaking of, It's actually not that costly to get decent line-in equipment. The adaptor I've been using for my band's stuff cost me $2 Canadian, and can plug into any computer with a line-in or microphone port. It really helps the clarity of the recordings a lot.

Ah, see, but ontop of having live shows to get attention, you could try getting onto RBN, Perhaps leave a link to your stuff in your signatures where you go, offer songs for free in Frets on Fire sites, etc. Lots of ways to get attention! Of course, though, having the stem files handy, with the split tracks, are very important, too. It really helps with the mastering process.

By the way, I wouldn't mind mastering one of those songs in Adobe Audition, and Ableton Live 7, if you guys actually do have stems, just to see how things turn out with a different mix/pro software. ^^
    edited October 2009
    NSIYusuke;3125903 said:

By the way, I wouldn't mind mastering one of those songs in Adobe Audition, and Ableton Live 7, if you guys actually do have stems, just to see how things turn out with a different mix/pro software. ^^
    We have decent stems for Little Emo Girl, but everything else is just sorta mashed together. Our multis are all in Audacity project files on Bryan's computer. Speaking of him, he told me this morning that he just bought a mixing table and electronic drum kit, which probably means a couple re-records, and a big leap in quality.
    edited October 2009
    Oh! Good stuff. Keep me posted about that. =) I'd still be willing to help if you wanted, but I'm glad you guys got some better equipment!
  • Lizard_KingLizard_King Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    were doing the same thing, but weve got a little nicer setup.

we run a MOTU Ultralite ($550) through Logic 8 Pro, record each track separately (usually digitally, we can create really nice guitar and bass tones through Logic, which allows for best quality). drums we either record in my garage with two drum mics, or, in the case of the next two songs in the pipe, we will go into the studio for a complete sound. ( we found some real cheap studio time). vocals can be pretty much done anywhere, since i can space design the reverb and stuff, essentially really making a "perfect" environment unnecessary. all mastering/mixing and production is my job, and i can pretty much do it anywhere.

and its landed us three songs so far, one waiting for approval, and another two that are going to be sent off when their complete. This is all with Rhythm Authors though...
    edited October 2009
    Heres a multitrack for State Of Mind.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MF6U9WNM

If anyone can make anything of it, be my guest. =]
  • DJPookaDJPooka Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    Mind if I download it for a play over the next couple of days? I've not done any serious music work in a long time and I'm on the wrong continent for doing anything for RBN!
    edited October 2009
    Do what ever you want with it, its free for all to do as they wish, It needs noise reduction, so I'd do that first if I were you.
  • ImmortalAbbathImmortalAbbath Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    angruss;3120922 said:
    From my work with FOF, I can say that we definitely can't chart our own stuff, but I'm wondering what you guys think.
    where is the problem?
    edited October 2009
    The problem is that if I can't play Expert, I don't really know how to chart it.

plus we're poor as hell, because we're in high school.
    edited October 2009
    I'll see what I can do with this. If I can make a good mix of it, would you like the stems back so you can submit it to RBN?
  • MaghookMaghook Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    I wouldn't mind messing around with it, but 43.4MB compressed seems insanely small. Are these WAV at least?

Edit: Yes, yes they are.
    Dude, the whole entire right side of the mix is filled with buzz... everything is coming out of my left speaker. Is this the same for anyone else? I try to move them over to the right and it just mutes the left speaker. :p

Also, when are the tracks meant to start? Putting them all together as they are seems off.
    edited October 2009
    Well, This one was better, guys, good going, but unfortunately it still wasn't really 'on time'. I fixed the track up a bit, and added some things, including some light drums. Did a "remix", if you will.

[Clicky]

Couldn't easily get the vocals to match up entirely, but I tried. Redid the bass, added drums and a faint clean-wah guitar track later in. =)
    edited October 2009
    Maghook;3143768 said:
    I wouldn't mind messing around with it, but 43.4MB compressed seems insanely small. Are these WAV at least?

Edit: Yes, yes they are.
    Dude, the whole entire right side of the mix is filled with buzz... everything is coming out of my left speaker. Is this the same for anyone else? I try to move them over to the right and it just mutes the left speaker. :p

Also, when are the tracks meant to start? Putting them all together as they are seems off.
    thats called recording with audacity, stupid crap. try converting them to mono.

oh, and yes, we'd like copies of edited stems, just in case.

Edit- That mix makes us sound way better than we are, thats good.
    edited October 2009
    I can do more to it, add an acoustic guitar part or something, if you want, to make it more "Rockband friendly".

EDIT: by the way, you can edit the Mono Stems and make them Faux-stereo. Click on the audio track where it says "[x] AUDIO TRACK [V]" and split to stereo track, then copy the left channel over to the right channel, click that same part again, and then "Merge to Stereo Track" =)
  • MaghookMaghook Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    That's a lot harder than it sounds when you're only just beginning to use Ableton Live... anyway, mono isn't suited for RBN use. You're definitely gonna have to re-record these.
    edited October 2009
    NSIY- Whatever you want, you've done so much already, I'd feel guilty if I asked for anything.
    Maghook- The Stereo thing is easily fixable, using what NSIY said, and also creating an automatic double track, which leads to a more... Beatley sound, I could upload some fixed masters that use these effects later tonight, I'll also do noise reduction on them, to reduce all the electric interference.

Edit- It is done. Fixed masters go!
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JY0FV3N7
    edited October 2009
    =) No problem really. I just didn't want to change what the original song's feel was, since that may or may not upset the original artists (you guys), but if you're alright with it.
  • DJPookaDJPooka Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    I've not had a chance to play around with this yet - I've got stuck working silly shifts in the office and my sound system is currently dismantled due to a room redecoration.....

How much freedom do I have to play with here? I notice NSIYusuke didn't want to change the original songs' feel, but I tend to abuse music until it breaks and really enjoy completely changing the feel of music - of course, I'm not doing this for any reason except that I really want to and need the practise, so I'll upload anything I do somewhere safe and you can yell at me for it when I'm done!

Hopefully I'll have sound back in my room tomorrow or wednesday (tomorrow so I can play the new songs hopefully), but it's still up in the air, so I guess end of the week is an ideal target for getting the music bent out of all original shape ;)
    edited October 2009
    well, DJ, I believe he stated we could do "whatever" we like to them, So I went ahead and added a clean guitar part, and am in the process of adding more of a solo for it, to make it "RBN friendly". I added drums to it which previously was just clapping, and applied light studio reverb to the vocals. Since I'm going to give back the stems anyway, I imagine they can just remove whatever they don't like, so if they don't want the solo, it's easily removable. =) I'd say just go nuts with it.

[Guitar Remix]

[Rockband-ready Stems]

BPM: 120
    Use it for practice charting, remixing, etc, as long as the original band's alright with it, but judging by the fact that they allowed us to remix the song in the first place, why not, right? Maybe it could go on Purple Fever's myspace, heh.

(If you do use those, please do give me at least credit; I love helping, but I'd at least like to be acknowledged for helping.)
  • jtobiskajtobiska Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    To me this really demonstrates the amazing (and often overlooked) benefit of a producer in a recording. In a way, NSIYusuke has filled that producer role here with this recording and I feel like he's managed to really bring out the existing strength of the composition that was already there. This really shows that the composition itself was already strong and has a lot of potential. Thumbs up to everyone involved!
  • Lizard_KingLizard_King Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    well done guys. very impressive production NYISuke. just echoing what jtobiska already said, great work. the power of the forums i guess :)
    edited October 2009
    ^^ Thanks everybody. I fill the Manager and Producer (as well as pretty much every) role in Bluefusion, and I fill the manager role in a band called WazookaA! (Check them out on ReverbNation) now, too, so I've had a bit of practice with this before. =) I'm glad to help a forumite, anyhow!
    edited October 2009
    I believe this is the beginning of a strong tradition and relationship, The tradition of open masters, and the friendship between The Fever and Fusion, I greatly appreciate what you've done for a couple of High Schoolers who mostly just dick around on guitar.

From now on, all our masters are open source, following the GPL. (Basically, do anything you want, just share your stems with every release.)
    edited October 2009
    Haha, win. To be fair though, I'm a highschooler that dicks around on guitar, drums, and doofy programs. xD But good going! That just means that you'll hear lots of neat remixes, kinda like NiN.

EDIT: also, I started charting it for fun, it looks really fun on guitar, actually. Bodhisattva BRE strumming during the solo, hahaha.
    edited October 2009
    Amazing what can come out of a couple of kids with nothing to do, isn't it?

Ah, to see charts would be SO fun, ridiculously awesome.

And to think that a song I considered a throwaway because it was too bland evolved into this little peice of artistic collaboration.
    edited October 2009
    Haha, I'm working on getting a video, no worries.

Also, The same thing happened with "Force" by my band. I made it for the drummer's amusement, he couldn't do anything for it, was gonna scrap it, then at the last minute, he came up with something and saved it.
    edited October 2009
    this solo really gets me, it really fits our sound. My vocals seem so off in the scheme of things.

Which song should I release stems for next? I was thinking The Jump might be nice, since Little Emo Girl would need a new recording of the acoustic part, but we've got a couple new ones in the pipes next band meeting.
    edited October 2009
    =) How about using the new stems to re-record your old vocals to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjZ4LDXHRUw

Also, the video, haha. it's a tad off sync though.
    edited October 2009
    On Little Emo Girl? Well, I have to do the vocals again anyway, because "rocky horror" doesn't fit as well as just "rocky", and I really hate Panic! being the band, and Jay Leno being the heckle victim.