Profanity

spudlyff8fanspudlyff8fan Unsigned
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
So are there any limitations on songs lyrically? Can a song drop F-Bombs? If somebody puts in some gangsta rap, can they drop N-Bombs? Do they need to be censored? What's that situation looking like?

Comments

• edited October 2009
    Taken from the Main Page of the spec document

"What about naughty words?
    RBN songs will be played in Rock Band 2, which has an ESRB rating of "T". A good guideline is that you need to create a Radio Friendly edit of your song if it has naughty bits in it. You can use the library of DLC content for Rock Band 2 as a guideline to what's acceptable."

http://creators.rockband.com/spec/Main_Page
  • spudlyff8fanspudlyff8fan Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Ah, thanks. Sorry to overlook that.
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    The Vocal authoring page has a link to a list of objectionable words and phrases, too.

...And you have to log into creators.rockband.com to view it. -_-
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited October 2009
    Just some notes here:

The N-bomb has been censored before I think.
    Getting away with damn depends on the frequency of it and how it's used.
    F-bombs are always censored no exceptions. I think one f-bomb makes an M game.
    A-word... Not sure. It's censored sometimes but left in as well.
    S-word, also always censored.
    And be careful with sexual references if they're blatant and inappropriate. Sir Psycho Sexy learned that the hard way.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited October 2009
    SonicRocker15X;3124242 said:
    That one seems to be dependent more on use than frequency. Like, "damn" by itself is ok, but "god damn" is not.
  • wrldindstries302wrldindstries302 Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Just some notes here:

F-bombs are always censored no exceptions. I think one f-bomb makes an M game.
    A-word... Not sure. It's censored sometimes but left in as well.
    S-word, also always censored.
    And be careful with sexual references if they're blatant and inappropriate. Sir Psycho Sexy learned that the hard way.
    you can say the s-word in T rated game. I'm also pretty sure the n-word could be used to but they probably censor that for sensitivity's sake.
  • I_Use_ShamwowsI_Use_Shamwows Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    Just some notes here:

Ya, Holiday In Cambodia was a dissapointment when the line "Bragging that you know how the ******s feel cold...." was censored.

They could have atleast put "brothers" or something, gawd, I just hate censorship like that.
    edited October 2009
    davidshek;3124489 said:
    That one seems to be dependent more on use than frequency. Like, "damn" by itself is ok, but "god damn" is not.
    Erm... Green Day - East Jesus Nowhere, in game used line:
    "I never asked you a god damn thing!"
  • justin19954justin19954 Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Isn't it used in a Weezer song too?
  • edited October 2009
    Yeah, it's used uncensored in both El Scorcho and Undone. However, it is censored in This Ain't A Scene, It's an Arms Race, which makes the censoring rules a little confusing. And while I'm on that subject, why did they censor "crap" when they released Runnin' Wild? E10 rated games like Shadow the Hedgehog have shown can easily use that word and a couple worse ones.

And yes, the n-word has been and can be used in Teen rated games (Jet Set Radio Future is one example), as can the S-word (Tony Hawk's Underground did), so the removals of those words in Rock Band is probably, as wrldindstries said, for sensitivity reasons.

Actually, I think that technically, the Teen does allow the f-word (especially since the introduction of the E10, which gave the Teen a little more weight), and I remember that The Offspring's Way Down the Line was not censored in Crazy Taxi (at least not on the Dreamcast version).
  • VedicardiVedicardi Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    There was a grey area in the censorship as far as god damn goes. I think after everyone complained about this aint a scene they stopped censoring it, because I don't think it's censored in any song using it that was released after that
  • JPSChampagneJPSChampagne Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    "God Damn" was censored in "This Ain't a Scene" because that's the radio edit. It's what HMX got and they used it. I think, under their normal guidelines, it would have stayed in if that's what they'd been sent. I'd say "god damn" is fair so long as you don't over use it or put it in some really heavy context.

The S, F, and N words are always going to be censored. No way around it. Only the A and B words are up in the air. It really depends on usage and amount of usage, I'd imagine. That, I suppose, will be left up to peer review and will be edited on the subjective basis that it is now.
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, the S word got cut from Tell Me Baby by the Chili Peppers.

Goddamn is murky. If anybody remembers back to the 2008 Presidential, channels censored the "God, Damn America" Jeremiah Wright rant for a while.
  • chaf432chaf432 Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    [QUOTE=SonicRocker15X;3124242]Just some notes here:

QUOTE]

have u played this aint a scene by fall out boy? pretty frequent
    edited October 2009
    The short A-word is censored oddly, too. It was left in I Wanna Be Your Man ("when I punish your ass" *wink wink nudge nudge*), yet was omitted from Police Truck ("kick them in the ___ "). I'm assuming that it's the olden radio version of Police Truck to explain this rather than the context that the word is used in (sexual connotation vs. violent context). I'm pretty sure the word remains in Pretty Fly (For a White Guy), which is in the same vein as the line from Police Truck. The full a-word is probably going to be partially censored (most likely the "hole" part).
    michaelthemovieman;3124784 said:
    [W]hy did they censor "crap" when they released Runnin' Wild? E10 rated games like Shadow the Hedgehog have shown can easily use that word and a couple worse ones.

And yes, the n-word has been and can be used in Teen rated games (Jet Set Radio Future is one example), as can the S-word (Tony Hawk's Underground did), so the removals of those words in Rock Band is probably, as wrldindstries said, for sensitivity reasons.
    Ever see the movie Antz? There's plenty of cursing in that movie, and it's rated 'G'! Leave it to DreamWorks Pictures to push boundaries like that, just because they're not ruled by the House of Mouse. :rolleyes:

Also, don't forget about the other words you can't say: two d-words (think Rebel Girl and 'french shower'), c-word, and Fart.

Oops, I said the other f-word. :o
  • VedicardiVedicardi Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    JPSChampagne;3124902 said:
    "God Damn" was censored in "This Ain't a Scene" because that's the radio edit. It's what HMX got and they used it. I think, under their normal guidelines, it would have stayed in if that's what they'd been sent. I'd say "god damn" is fair so long as you don't over use it or put it in some really heavy context.

The S, F, and N words are always going to be censored. No way around it. Only the A and B words are up in the air. It really depends on usage and amount of usage, I'd imagine. That, I suppose, will be left up to peer review and will be edited on the subjective basis that it is now.
    oh I forgot about that. you might be right
  • dman2309dman2309 Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    DavyinaToga;3125651 said:

Ever see the movie Ants?
    No. But I've seen Antz.
    :p

Anyway, the whole censorship thing is too complex and HMX's precedents have been strange. The "w*ore" in In Bloom and Welcome Home, as well, have been confusing. I think if anything T is essentially what PG-13 is to movies. I believe what can be said in those movies can translate to a T-rated game.
    edited October 2009
    dman2309;3125703 said:
    No. But I've seen Antz.
    :p
    Pic related.

EDIT: I fiximigated it.
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited October 2009
    Wait - "fart" is censored :confused:
  • GranndGrannd Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    DavyinaToga;3125651 said:
    The short A-word is censored oddly, too. It was left in I Wanna Be Your Man ("when I punish your ass" *wink wink nudge nudge*),
    No Beatles songs get censored, I guess it's thesame reason why there ain't drum fills or guitar whammy's, they want the masters to stay completely intact for the Beatles.
  • socrstoprsocrstopr Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Grannd;3125940 said:
    No Beatles songs get censored, I guess it's thesame reason why there ain't drum fills or guitar whammy's, they want the masters to stay completely intact for the Beatles.
    Umm... Wrong song bud. He's talking about the song that was a part of the free 20 DLC for RB2 by Endeverafter or whatever. Definitely not a Beatles lyric.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited October 2009
    SonicRocker15X;3124556 said:
    Erm... Green Day - East Jesus Nowhere, in game used line:
    "I never asked you a god damn thing!"
    It's a case-by-case basis for "god damn". Directly from the RBN docs:
    Use of “God Damn:”

El Scorcho – “God damn these half Japanese girls…” – unedited.
    This Ain’t a Scene, It’s an Arms Race – “God damned arms race…” – edited.

The “God” part of “God damn…” in “El Scorcho.” only appears once, and it’s the first verse of the song, so it made sense to leave it in.

We removed “God” from Fallout Boy’s “This Ain’t a Scene…” for two reasons:

1. It repeats many times throughout the song.
    2. As a response to the backlash from the use of “God” in El Scorcho.
    edited October 2009
    davidshek;3129079 said:
    I'm still confused about the apparent "backlash" from El Scorcho. :confused:
  • justin19954justin19954 Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    SonicRocker15X;3135150 said:
    I'm still confused about the apparent "backlash" from El Scorcho. :confused:
    I think we all are. I mean unless someone messaged them directly, I don't beleive there was anything on the forums.
    edited October 2009
    Skode;3125930 said:
    Wait - "fart" is censored :confused:
    "Blow Your Mind" in Killer Queen got made into "BLEEEEEEP your mind" in Guitar Hero Smash Hits, in early screenshots (no clue if they fixed it in the actual game).

That said, we've seen other words that made the cut in Rock Band. Chinese Democracy has "masturbation" in it, for example.
  • The_El_GringosThe_El_Gringos Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    spudlyff8fan;3135787 said:
    "Blow Your Mind" in Killer Queen got made into "BLEEEEEEP your mind" in Guitar Hero Smash Hits, in early screenshots (no clue if they fixed it in the actual game).

That said, we've seen other words that made the cut in Rock Band. Chinese Democracy has "masturbation" in it, for example.
    We don't use GH censoring in these parts here, ya see?

Have you HEARD what they did to 2 Minutes to Midnight?!
    edited October 2009
    spudlyff8fan;3135787 said:

They did fix it in the actual game.
  • Lily_MuLily_Mu RB Wii Super Fan
    edited October 2009
    I got my masturbation!

I love Chinese Democracy :)
  • Groudon199Groudon199 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
    edited October 2009
    michaelthemovieman;3124784 said:
    And while I'm on that subject, why did they censor "crap" when they released Runnin' Wild? E10 rated games like Shadow the Hedgehog have shown can easily use that word and a couple worse ones.
    If you mean the censoring in the first verse, they censored the s-word, not "crap".
    davidshek;3129079 said:
    Use of “God Damn:”

El Scorcho – “God damn these half Japanese girls…” – unedited.
    This Ain’t a Scene, It’s an Arms Race – “God damned arms race…” – edited.

The “God” part of “God damn…” in “El Scorcho.” only appears once, and it’s the first verse of the song, so it made sense to leave it in.

We removed “God” from Fallout Boy’s “This Ain’t a Scene…” for two reasons:

1. It repeats many times throughout the song.
    2. As a response to the backlash from the use of “God” in El Scorcho.
    If it was because of "backlash" from El Scorcho, it doesn't explain why it wasn't removed from East Jesus Nowhere.
  • GeneralDiddyGeneralDiddy Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    davidshek;3124489 said:
    which is why I Write Sins Not Tragedies hasn't made its way onto DLC yet