Emo
Funk*
Fusion
Grunge
Novelty
Nu-Metal
Prog (Only subgenre is Prog Rock)
Southern Rock

*Funk is listed as a subgenre of Rock, even though it appears as a separate genre in-game. This proves to be interesting.

Also, the track dates go from 1960 to 2010.

Comments

• Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Wow, that's a pretty comprehensive list of sub-genres. Especially the one's for Urban.
  • kuiosiklekuiosikle Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    It'd be interesting to compare this to the list of prospective songs to see how varied the genres will be around RBN opening.
  • Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited October 2009
    Interesting. Surprised that Ska is under Rock. Would have liked to have seen Ska have it's own like this:

Ska
    Punk
    Third Wave
    Core
    Other
  • destruction3402destruction3402 Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Great List!!!

They forgot about:
    avant-garde music
    doom metal
    drone music
    post metal
    dark ambient
    stoner rock and metal
    folk metal
    grindcore
    and quite a few oher tho...
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited October 2009
    This is official, right? If so, then very well done, HMX, with one exception:
    ZosoBaron;3123821 said:
    Jazz
    Acid Jazz
    Contemporary
    Experimental
    Ragtime
    Smooth
    Other
    You include smooth jazz as a genre but not at least bebop? I think I just died a little bit inside. Also, some of the "urban" subgenres are a bit redundant. Do you really need "Underground Rap", "Alternative Rap", "Hip Hop", "Rap", "Hardcore Rap" and "Gangsta"? Talk about redundancy and overkill. I can't really complain much, though, since I guess they're catering to different audiences with those labels.
    destruction3402;3124310 said:
    Great List!!!

They forgot about:
    avant-garde music
    doom metal
    drone music
    post metal
    dark ambient
    stoner rock and metal
    folk metal
    grindcore
    and quite a few oher tho...
    That's what "other" is for. :)
  • ZosoBaronZosoBaron Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Alright_Computer;3124376 said:
    This is official, right?
    This is what I got from Magma. This is official.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited October 2009
    very surprising to see the lack of doom and/or stoner in the metal category. i can understand the others being absent, but geez.
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited October 2009
    afterstasis;3124958 said:
    very surprising to see the lack of doom and/or stoner in the metal category. i can understand the others being absent, but geez.
    Agreed. It's glaring that one of the earliest forms of metal isn't mentioned.
  • jgoshjgosh Super Star
    edited October 2009
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited October 2009
    Why isn't emo a subgenre of punk?

Also, rap isn't a genre. The urban tag is pretty stupid too, because everyone knows all of those other bands are a bunch of rich snobs from the suburbs.
  • VedicardiVedicardi Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
  • VedicardiVedicardi Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    timmay9;3124981 said:

Also, rap isn't a genre. The urban tag is pretty stupid too, because everyone knows all of those other bands are a bunch of rich snobs from the suburbs.
    no no no no non o nno no nno on

learn music
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited October 2009
    LOL at ragtime....I can't wait to get some Joplin (Scott, not Janis) in the game. :)

But yeah, great breakdown of subgenres....very completist. Looking forward to seeing some representation on a lot of the unexplored subgenres....
    edited October 2009
    Vedicardi;3125024 said:
    no no no no non o nno no nno on

learn music
    Everything I just said was true. Rap is a vocal style used primarily in hip-hop. Emo is short for emotive hardcore, which in itself is a subsubgenre.

Urban is just plain dumb.
  • xxRaenxxRaen Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    I kinda wish there was Post Metal as a sub-genre of Metal, but I can accept the current list of genres.
  • Meatwad555Meatwad555 Merch-Table
    edited October 2009
    Ambient? How the hell is that going to work in the game?

...and doom metal is missing. I hope they fix that.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited October 2009
    Uhm...where's post-punk? :confused:

I guess post-punk is supposed to go under 'goth', 'alternative punk', or 'college rock', then.
    edited October 2009
    Runesmith;3125375 said:
    Uhm...where's post-punk? :confused:

I guess post-punk is supposed to go under 'goth', 'alternative punk', or 'college rock', then.
    This is one of my biggest gripes with the list. The emo/urban thing bugs me more though.
    edited October 2009
    Meatwad555;3125374 said:
    Ambient? How the hell is that going to work in the game?
    i suppose some of the more active ambient could work... perhaps stuff like richard youngs, though it'd likely be missing a drum track.
  • Lady SiaraLady Siara Metal Maiden
    edited October 2009
    Looks like a pretty decent list. I'm glad they were smart enough to put an other under every category.

And for some reason, "Gangsta" made me laugh.
  • MilitreeMilitree Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    The urban thing doesn't bug me (I mean, what else would you have called it?), but for some reason, emo not being under punk bugs me, too. But the inclusion of Math Rock, lo-fi, Shoegaze, and Hardcore makes up for that. I have a feeling if emo bands like Rites of Spring or Nation of Ulysses join, they'll opt under hardcore instead of emo anyway.

Are there any plans to add genres like emocore, grindcore, or post-punk in the future?
  • damdamdamdamdamdam Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    ZosoBaron;3123821 said:

*Funk is listed as a subgenre of Rock, even though it appears as a separate genre in-game. This proves to be interesting.

Well, actually, I think the Funk entry as a subgenre of Rock is "Funk Rock" (such as Red Hot CHilli Peppers or Primus) where Funk would be more something like James Brown, Funkadelic or Kool and the Gang . Not quite the same thing
    edited October 2009
    Militree;3126147 said:
    The urban thing doesn't bug me (I mean, what else would you have called it?), but for some reason, emo not being under punk bugs me, too. But the inclusion of Math Rock, lo-fi, Shoegaze, and Hardcore makes up for that. I have a feeling if emo bands like Rites of Spring or Nation of Ulysses join, they'll opt under hardcore instead of emo anyway.

Are there any plans to add genres like emocore, grindcore, or post-punk in the future?
    Wow, I didn't think of that. I know most of those bands hate "emotional hardcore", because in all honesty that is pretty stupid. Emotive hardcore makes a lot more sense.

As for the Urban thing, I would have just branched it out of hip-hop. And I'm a little confused by alternative rap. I've only seen alternative hip-hop used. There are sub=genres of hip-hop though with the word rap in them (like gangsta rap).
  • ZosoBaronZosoBaron Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    damdamdam;3126621 said:
    Well, actually, I think the Funk entry as a subgenre of Rock is "Funk Rock" (such as Red Hot CHilli Peppers or Primus) where Funk would be more something like James Brown, Funkadelic or Kool and the Gang . Not quite the same thing
    Thing is, there isn't a separate Funk genre in Magma, other than a Rock subgenre.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited November 2009
    There's no Heavy Metal genre?

Emo could have gotten some subgenres as well I think. Old School, Screamo, etc.

Power-Pop under Pop-Rock, or maybe Emo because of AAR, Boys Like Girls, etc but that's just a big mess on it's own because both Paramore and AAR are power-pop bands but they're under different RB genres right now...
  • Soy_BobSoy_Bob Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    It's all about the Rock Rock. I do love me some Rock Rock.
  • SirRobin1tothe3SirRobin1tothe3 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Why isn't Fusion under jazz?
    edited November 2009
    SirRobin1tothe3;3219861 said:
    Why isn't Fusion under jazz?
    fusion isn't limited to jazz... see metalcore, reggaeton, prog-metal, etc.

of course, just calling a band "fusion" is absolutely useless. fusion should have had a list of subgenres beneath it.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited November 2009
    I find the lack of doom metal an extreme oversight. Other than that, nice. Would like to see Psychedelic and Folk as their own genres, however with their own subgenres. For psych it would be acid rock, space rock, neo-psych etc...
  • CCDaDonCCDaDon Headliner
    edited November 2009
    timmay9;3124981 said:

Rap IS a genre. Rap and Hip Hop are two TOTALLY different things.

Think of Hip Hop being "Rock" as Rap being "Pop Rock"