Open the Preview Window in Reaper

matrix_loaded02matrix_loaded02 Unsigned
edited April 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Sorry for posting this here, but I couldn't find it anywhere in the docs or in Reaper. How do you open the preview window for charting in Reaper?

Comments

• davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited October 2009
    matrix_loaded02;3124117 said:
    Sorry for posting this here, but I couldn't find it anywhere in the docs or in Reaper. How do you open the preview window for charting in Reaper?
    After you've installed the Reaper RBN plugin, you need to add it as an effects VSTi called RBN Preview Window to whatever track you have the MIDI on.

That effect can be found in C:\Program Files\Reaper\Plugins\FX\rbprev_vst.dll

(Of course, change that path if you installed Reaper somewhere else)
  • matrix_loaded02matrix_loaded02 Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Thanks, I don't know if I ever would have found that.

EDIT: Actually, I can't get it to show any of the notes that I'm charting, do you have to do anything special to get them to show up?
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited October 2009
    matrix_loaded02;3124163 said:
    Thanks, I don't know if I ever would have found that.

EDIT: Actually, I can't get it to show any of the notes that I'm charting, do you have to do anything special to get them to show up?
    If you've only started working on one difficulty so far, it could be that it's displaying a different one that you haven't added any notes for yet. Click where it says "Skill" at the upper-left of the preview window to change between Easy/Medium/Hard/Expert.
  • matrix_loaded02matrix_loaded02 Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Nevermind, I managed to add it as a separate track by mistake. Thanks though :)
  • b4nnyb4nny Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    I was about to make a thread about this but I saw this one.

I opened the FX Chain thing from clicking the "fx" button on the midi track. Now it shows one effect, VSTi: ReaSynth (Cockos).

I click on Add, to add the RBN Preview effect, but I don't see RBN Preview in the list of All Plugins. Even after scanning for new plugins it's still not there. Any idea?
    edited October 2009
    b4nny;3125369 said:
    I was about to make a thread about this but I saw this one.

I opened the FX Chain thing from clicking the "fx" button on the midi track. Now it shows one effect, VSTi: ReaSynth (Cockos).

I click on Add, to add the RBN Preview effect, but I don't see RBN Preview in the list of All Plugins. Even after scanning for new plugins it's still not there. Any idea?
    You should have this in your list of plugins. Did you install the RBN plugins into the same directory where you have Reaper installed?
  • spudlyff8fanspudlyff8fan Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    It's VSTi_RBPREV or something.

Only thing I can't figure out is how to make the damn thing play.
  • SwordofWhedonSwordofWhedon Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Never mind figurd it out, it was on the mixer panel
  • CaptainChunkCaptainChunk Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    I have the same problem as b4nny. The RBN plugin isn't present. I'm not sure the Rock Band installer installed correctly with my Reaper. I'm running Win 7 64-bit. Anybody else have the setup and got it working?
  • socrstoprsocrstopr Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    CaptainChunk;3125641 said:
    I have the same problem as b4nny. The RBN plugin isn't present. I'm not sure the Rock Band installer installed correctly with my Reaper. I'm running Win 7 64-bit. Anybody else have the setup and got it working?
    Someone on the creators site had a similar problem, here's a part of his post:
    The affected files were installed here:
    C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\REAPER

But Reaper was actually using this directory:
    C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\REAPER64

As you can see by the directory names, this appears to be related to the fact that I'm using the 64-bit version of Reaper.

I copied the contents of ...\REAPER into ...\REAPER64, and that appears to have resolved everything.
    Hope that helps.
    edited October 2009
    CaptainChunk;3125641 said:
    The RBN plugin installer is separate from the Reaper installer. Make sure you download the RBN plugin installer from here:
    http://creators.rockband.com/tools/download

And run it after installing Reaper.
  • b4nnyb4nny Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Long before RBN came out I had Reaper installed. I don't use it often so I still had version 2.55. I just upgraded to 3.12 and thought maybe that would fix it, but nothing changed. I also restarted my computer and reinstalled the RBN plugin a few times (all the common prepackaged troubleshooting responses).

What my effects selection window looks like

I'm running Windows XP if that helps.
    edited October 2009
    b4nny;3127913 said:
    Long before RBN came out I had Reaper installed. I don't use it often so I still had version 2.55. I just upgraded to 3.12 and thought maybe that would fix it, but nothing changed. I also restarted my computer and reinstalled the RBN plugin a few times (all the common prepackaged troubleshooting responses).
    When was the last time you reinstalled the plugin? They just put a new (corrected) version up like yesterday or the day before.

Look in C:\Program Files\Reaper\plugins\FX. Do you see a file called "rbprev_vst.dll" and a folder called "rbprev"? If not, you don't have the plugin installed correctly.

Also, are you using a 64-bit install of WinXP?
  • b4nnyb4nny Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    davidshek;3127975 said:
    When was the last time you reinstalled the plugin? They just put a new (corrected) version up like yesterday or the day before.

Look in C:\Program Files\Reaper\plugins\FX. Do you see a file called "rbprev_vst.dll" and a folder called "rbprev"? If not, you don't have the plugin installed correctly.

Also, are you using a 64-bit install of WinXP?
    First time I installed it was yesterday. I even just now redownloaded and reinstalled the plugins to make sure.

Yes, I went in REAPER\Plugins\FX and I see both rbprev_vst.dll and a folder called rbprev.

And I'm not using a 64-bit install either...
  • JB4GDIJB4GDI Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    I'm in the same boat and the AppData copy to the (x64) folder didn't work. All I see in the VSTi list is 3 things that aren't RB related.

I'm going to fully update my copy of REAPER and see if that does anything.

Running Vista x64. Installed to C:\REAPER(x64)

-Jaime
    edited October 2009
    Did a fresh install and it didn't fix anything. Maybe I'm not doing it right?

I loaded the RBNTemplate project and I can see the midi tracks and they're all colorful.

Then I go to View -> Show FX Browser.

Then there's nothing that looks like the RB preview thing in the list.

I looked over the RBN documentation but don't see anything. Am I just doing something dumb?

-Jaime
    edited October 2009
    My issue is resolved. The RB Preview window isn't made for an x64 version of windows or something, so I installed the x32 REAPER version, installed RBN once more, and everything now works like magic.

-Jaime
  • rocknrolloparrocknrollopar Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    I bring up the preview window and the track plays and moves but nothing shows up on it.. i even tried it with the sample song and none of the midi markers showed up. are they supposed to show up? if so, why arnt they?
  • jalcooldudejalcooldude Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I put my preview window up and no notes are coming out. I've already tried changing skill and it doesn't work. Help!
    edited December 2009
    jalcooldude;3362357 said:
    I put my preview window up and no notes are coming out. I've already tried changing skill and it doesn't work. Help!
    - Are FX enabled for the track? The little FX button should be green; if it's red, click the little circle next to it to enable FX.
    - Is the preview window VSTi enabled? (checkbox next to "VSTi: RBN Preview)
    - Do you have a track or tracks soloed but the MIDI track isn't soloed? For example, if you want to preview your guitar part and only hear the guitar audio, you would need to solo your guitar stem and the PART GUITAR track.
  • NSIYusukeNSIYusuke Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Hey guys, I just noticed a few file folders in the REAPER program files directory that I'm a bit curious about, and I think it may have something to do with the preview window, so I hope you don't mind me posting the question here...

Anyhow, I noticed that (if you have it installed in the default location) in "*:/Program Files/REAPER/Data/joystick_midi/", There are quite a few text documents filled with programming so one can use the Rockband instruments with REAPER as MIDI input devices.

So naturally I tried it out, Are these just for playing around with? I've added the HMX Generic and HMX Guitar controller text files to REAPER's list of MIDI controllers, but all that's happening is I can make a few different sounds with the controller. xD... But one of the text files indicates that I can select a difficulty by holding down select and using the color buttons, etc.

Essentially, What do these text files do, asides from make funny MIDI noises with the Rockband Guitar/Drums? =O
  • Masterhand33Masterhand33 Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    im running the mac version but its not showing up. I've tried these solutions but none of them worked...