How do you start charting? (Midi editor)

boblybobboblybob Opening Act
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
I read through all the guides and it dosen't tell me. I've never used Reaper before, I have the tempo charted out and the tracks ready but how do I get the midi editor to start charting?

Comments

• VedicardiVedicardi Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    go to insert, then pick "new midi item" and then put it on and line it up with one of the audio tracks
  • boblybobboblybob Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Thank you so much dude.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited October 2009
    If you start a new project using the RBN template (File -> Project Templates -> RBNTemplate) it will create all the MIDI tracks for you. No need to manually insert MIDI items.
  • boblybobboblybob Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Thank you both, now do I just start charting right after the play event?
  • EvileOLEvileOL Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    i used the template, and can see the midi tracks and I have my audio set up, but how do i open the MIDI chartin tables? i only have the mixer viewable
  • kuiosiklekuiosikle Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Double click the midi track you want to work on. Double click on it IN the time line.
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Right-click on the midi track item and look about 6 items down the menu for one called "Open items in editor". You'll get a submenu with more choices. Start with the one that says something like "Open items in built in midi editor".

Eventually you'll want to try the inline editor, because it's handy to have your midi notes so close to the audio track (if like me, you arrange your midi tracks just above their corresponding audio tracks), but you will be disappointed because the inline midi editor...sucks.

another tip: Be sure to have your midi editor docked in the main window.
    one more: Be sure to have the midi editor synched with the main window so that it automatically follows the timeline of your tracks window.
    edited October 2009
    I don't seem to be able to do either.

There's no items in my Midi windows, just the stems i've inserted into the audio channels below the Midi channels.

If i double click in the window nothing happens, and if I right click anywhere that option isn't there.

What am I not doing?

thankyou for helping!
    edited October 2009
    OK it sounds like you don't have a MIDI "item" in your track.

Reaper is different than other sequencers (for me) in that any track can have midi or audio, so just like you might have a piece of audio in a track, you have what Reaper calls a "midi item" in a track which is like a rectangle that holds the midi notes.

If you start out with the correct RBN template, you will get all your midi tracks pre-populated with appropriate "items".

In my attached screenshot, you can see the midi item on the right that says <<PART DRUMS - rb temp.mid>>. You can see the 4 blue midi notes in it. You can double click that rectangle to open up the midi editor. Make sure you dock and sync the midi editor to the main window.

If you don't see that on a new project, you probably used the wrong (or no) template.
    579 x 145 - 17K
    edited October 2009
    Bollocks, I used the Blank Template

Will try again. thankyou!
    edited October 2009
    My pleasure! I am thrilled to be able to help someone and leverage the pain of my learning curve :)

and thanks to kuiosikle for that tip about the double clicking. I've been going to the menu all this time!
    edited October 2009
    When drum editing, does it matter on the length of the midi note for each hit?

which leads me to the question; When charting guitars, how do you chart a single note which doesnt get held down?
  • KnucklesdudeKnucklesdude Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    I'm not sure if it matters on drums, but right-click the note (or notes) and select Note Properties. I use 1/32, which will ensure the notes won't be sustains. Then go up to options and click to use the last note's length.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited October 2009
    EvileOL;3157445 said:
    When drum editing, does it matter on the length of the midi note for each hit?

which leads me to the question; When charting guitars, how do you chart a single note which doesnt get held down?
    Generally you always want to use 16th notes. In the MIDI editor window, make sure 1/16 is selected, and the little magnet icon is green, so that your notes will automatically align with the grid.
  • kuiosiklekuiosikle Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    ethicalpaul;3157309 said:
    and thanks to kuiosikle for that tip about the double clicking. I've been going to the menu all this time!
    No problem! I double clicked the first time instinctively so I've never used the menu for that. :p