Specs for files?

eklynxeklynx Unsigned
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
I see that you say we need to use Reaper with a special plugin to develop songs for the RBN. Is there any documentation of the actual specs/files that the custom plugin creates? I'm wondering if there is a way of making a plugin for Apple's Logic that does the same features or if it relies on features specific to Reaper.

-eklynx

Comments

• VedicardiVedicardi Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    are you saying you want to have a mac version of the plugins?
  • Ten0101Ten0101 Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    eklynx;3124823 said:
    I see that you say we need to use Reaper with a special plugin to develop songs for the RBN. Is there any documentation of the actual specs/files that the custom plugin creates? I'm wondering if there is a way of making a plugin for Apple's Logic that does the same features or if it relies on features specific to Reaper.

-eklynx
    The plugins for Reaper are just to help people make the MIDI files, as far as I can tell, so if you can make MIDI files in another program that conforms to the RBN specification then Magma should import them. Of course you'll need Windows to run Magma. :)
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited October 2009
    Ten0101;3125008 said:
    The plugins for Reaper are just to help people make the MIDI files, as far as I can tell, so if you can make MIDI files in another program that conforms to the RBN specification then Magma should import them. Of course you'll need Windows to run Magma. :)
    That's correct, the plugin does not create files. It just has a few custom templates and macros for Reaper that make authoring much easier, as well as the RBN Preview window for Reaper.
  • eklynxeklynx Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Vedicardi;3124871 said:
    are you saying you want to have a mac version of the plugins?
    I'm saying i don't want to spend $225 on a professional license of Reaper when i already have Logic. I want to know what all the plugin does and if there are specs for the actual output the plugin helps to produce so i can see if i can do the same tasks manually in Logic or code a plugin to do the same type or any other assistance in creating the content within Logic.
  • eklynxeklynx Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    davidshek;3125142 said:
    That's correct, the plugin does not create files. It just has a few custom templates and macros for Reaper that make authoring much easier, as well as the RBN Preview window for Reaper.
    I guess i'll just have to fool around with it to see exactly what it does. Thankfully Reaper's eval version doesn't limit anything.
  • Ten0101Ten0101 Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    eklynx;3125406 said:
    I guess i'll just have to fool around with it to see exactly what it does. Thankfully Reaper's eval version doesn't limit anything.
    The plugin doesn't do much more than provide templates with nicely labelled and coloured MIDI tracks, useful key shortcuts and the preview window. If you read through the spec on creators.rockband.com it tells you which MIDI notes you need to use for each function, so you could definitely generate a MIDI by just looking at that.