Can't find Xbox on network?

Ten0101Ten0101 Unsigned
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
I've managed to get my first song to the point where it compiles in Magma, hooray! Unfortunately when I try to audition it, I get the message that no Xbox 360s can be found on the network, even though my 360 is sitting in Audition mode waiting for the transfer.

Is there any network trouble shooting I can do to try to get this to work?

Comments

• DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    I guess you just gotta wait for Open beta to officially start. Sorry, man.
  • Ten0101Ten0101 Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Umm, no, I think that's just for actually submitting songs. I'm pretty sure Audition mode is meant to be working now, though I guess I could be wrong.
    edited October 2009
    Hrmm, I thought it was that I needed Games for Windows - Live installed, based on something mentioned in the release notes for Magme, but still no luck :(

Guess I'll have to wait for the official word from a dev as to whether Audition mode is meant to be working yet or not.
  • HeXcodaHeXcoda Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    I suggest trying to get your Windows Media Player 11 talking to your X-Box first. It's a good acid test for making sure you can get ANY data across your home network, much less Magma data.

Some things to keep in mind:

1. You need uPnP turned on. This is both a router setting and a service in Windows and neither are on by default.

2. PC firewalls often interfere; I use ZoneAlarm, and I had to go give it the IP of my xbox and tell it to stick that thing in the Trusted zone.

There's lots of techie help for getting your PC to talk to your Xbox, but mostly it's filed under media player help. So, once you have that working, you should be fine.
  • TheOzoneTheOzone Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    If all else fails, turn on Awesomeness Detection.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited October 2009
    Ten0101;3125970 said:
    Hrmm, I thought it was that I needed Games for Windows - Live installed, based on something mentioned in the release notes for Magme, but still no luck :(

Guess I'll have to wait for the official word from a dev as to whether Audition mode is meant to be working yet or not.
    The Magma installer should have installed GFWL on your PC when it installed itself.

Audition Mode is working now.
    edited October 2009
    HeXcoda;3126357 said:
    I suggest trying to get your Windows Media Player 11 talking to your X-Box first. It's a good acid test for making sure you can get ANY data across your home network, much less Magma data.

Some things to keep in mind:

1. You need uPnP turned on. This is both a router setting and a service in Windows and neither are on by default.

2. PC firewalls often interfere; I use ZoneAlarm, and I had to go give it the IP of my xbox and tell it to stick that thing in the Trusted zone.

There's lots of techie help for getting your PC to talk to your Xbox, but mostly it's filed under media player help. So, once you have that working, you should be fine.
    Nope, tried this already. Media Player 11 can detect the 360 in Media Sharing mode, and once I turn it on, the 360 can detect my PC in the Network Settings 'Test PC' mode. Magma still won't find my 360 when it's in Audition mode though.
  • socrstoprsocrstopr Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Ten0101;3127562 said:
    Nope, tried this already. Media Player 11 can detect the 360 in Media Sharing mode, and once I turn it on, the 360 can detect my PC in the Network Settings 'Test PC' mode. Magma still won't find my 360 when it's in Audition mode though.
    I've seen a few people experience this problem so far, and I don't know that anyone has found the issue/fix. Hopefully it will get worked out soon though :/
    edited October 2009
    socrstopr;3127589 said:
    I've seen a few people experience this problem so far, and I don't know that anyone has found the issue/fix. Hopefully it will get worked out soon though :/
    Hopefully. I wanna test out my animations! ;)
  • samqwesamqwe Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    If you use any other version than the US NTSC Version of RB2, you are out of luck, it's not possible. HMX said they want to fix it but I bet that will take at least half a year.
    edited October 2009
    Oh godammit, seriously? That will be the problem then, I have the PAL version. There go my plans of releasing our album simultaneously on RBN, crap. And I guess I wasted the AU $120 on the Creators Club membership. Very unhappy.
  • samqwesamqwe Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, same thing for me. I wrote to HMX and this is what I got back:
    "Transferring songs from Magma require a signed application (MagmaTransfer.exe) which communicates with Rock Band 2 on the xbox. As you correctly surmised, we have to re-sign the application for each version of the game, and we currently don't support versions of Rock Band outside of the US. We enable Audition mode in the patch so that in the future, when we can work out all the technical and legal details, we can bring audition mode (and RBN song creation) to Europe. Unfortunately, I can't give you any definite dates on when that might happen."
    (I'm from Germany)
    edited October 2009
    So, I guess when they said international bands would be able to author tracks themselves and have somebody in the US submit them for them, they forgot to mention this little snag?
  • samqwesamqwe Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    I kinda feel like it's also HMX's fault that I bought a year subsciption that I can't use now. My PAL Version of RB2 told me to buy one when I tried to enter audition mode (in german language!!).
    edited October 2009
    Yeh, I did the same thing and am quite disappointed at the fact. My only consolation is that I'll be moving to Canada in April next year so may get some use out of it then, but my album will be out long before then :(
  • Sound_IMPSound_IMP Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    I had the same issue (WMP 11 could see my XBox but Magma could not) until I installed and set up XNA Connect from the XBL Game Market Place. However, seeing that you are in a different region, you are probably are having a completely different issue.
  • samqwesamqwe Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    The "I bet that will take at least half a year" is just an estimation, theoretically we could get it in a month but since I'm an European, I always felt like a second-class customer:
    GH1: US: 11/2005 EU: 05/2006
    RB1: US: 11/2007 EU: 05/2008
    AM: US: 10/2009 EU: 04/2010 <- ?
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited October 2009
    Ten0101;3127732 said:
    So, I guess when they said international bands would be able to author tracks themselves and have somebody in the US submit them for them, they forgot to mention this little snag?
    No, they were absolutely right in stating that. Authoring does not include auditioning. You can still author tracks outside the US. You just can't Audition them yourself at the moment.
    edited October 2009
    samqwe;3127897 said:
    The "I bet that will take at least half a year" is just an estimation, theoretically we could get it in a month but since I'm an European, I always felt like a second-class customer:
    GH1: US: 11/2005 EU: 05/2006
    RB1: US: 11/2007 EU: 05/2008
    AM: US: 10/2009 EU: 04/2010 <- ?</div>
    Believe me, I know the feeling. Rock Band 2 still isn't out in Australia, the only reason I have it is that I imported the UK version.
    davidshek said:
    No, they were absolutely right in stating that. Authoring does not include auditioning. You can still author tracks outside the US. You just can't Audition them yourself at the moment.
    True, though I would think that actually being able to test and iteratively develop your tracks is part of the authoring process. My belief was that actually submitting your tracks for review was the only thing unavailable at this point, so it is disappointing to find out otherwise.

The fact that it currently requires spending $120 on a Creators Club membership to find out that you can't use it is also a huge oversight, I think. They should have made it clear what non-US artists would and wouldn't be able to do.
    edited October 2009
    Sorry to bring this up again, but I was hoping a dev could answer a few questions for me:

At what point is it likely a version of Magma will be released that can connect to the PAL version of RB2 in Audition mode? Will it not be until RBN is open to all of Europe for song submission, or is it possible an update/version will be released in the meantime so international acts can author and audition their tracks, then have someone in the US submit them on their behalf?

Next question, luckily I have found somebody local who has a US 360 and the NTSC version of RB2 and is willing to let me borrow it for a weekend. Will my Australian Xbox Live account which has the Premium Creators Club membership linked to it be able to audition the songs correctly on a US 360?

Thanks.
  • samqwesamqwe Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Ten0101;3135420 said:
    Will my Australian Xbox Live account which has the Premium Creators Club membership linked to it be able to audition the songs correctly on a US 360?
    yes

dunno about the other stuff