A Treatise on Double Bass

Chris_GonzalezChris_Gonzalez Rising Star
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
I have offered to do some potential charting when the RBN comes out for the local bands around my area. Thing is, they're metal. Well, most of them. I think that it's wrong to only play half the bass drum notes on a chart that's already so realistic. So, I came up for a few ideas:

1. Release two versions of the song: one with Double Bass fully charted at Expert level and one without.

2. Release one version, but kick every chart level up a notch. For example, Hard would be equal to the Expert chart, while Expert would be charted with double bass.

I think the second one would make the most sense, because if you're playing the hardest songs on Easy drums you may as well make the jump to medium at some point, even if you're just at a party or something; the jump isn't something that's THAT hard to get around.

Thoughts?

Comments

• trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited October 2009
    Neither of those are possible. You have to follow the rules laid out in the authoring documentation as far as difficulty scaling and keeping the song playable on the stock kit, which has one pedal.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited October 2009
    trg007;3126198 said:
    Neither of those are possible. You have to follow the rules laid out in the authoring documentation as far as difficulty scaling and keeping the song playable on the stock kit, which has one pedal.
    Correct. Magma will even give you errors if you try to compile a song with too much kick in it.
  • VedicardiVedicardi Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    too much kick as in having just hundreds of kick notes for a short song, or having too much in a small span of time? I have this song where the drummers is using one foot and hitting 5 consecutive 32nd notes at around 95 BPM. I think I compiled it correctly, but just to be sure, will that work?
  • Jair CrawfordJair Crawford Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    I thought a second pedal could be hooked up to the drum controller...
    edited October 2009
    Vedicardi;3129390 said:
    having too much in a small span of time?
    This. Magma will assume you're trying to author double kick notes if they are too close together or too many in a certain period of time.
    Jair Crawford;3130156 said:
    Irrelevant. Double kick will not be authored in RBN songs, just like it isn't authored in normal HMX DLC.
  • VedicardiVedicardi Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    well how short of a span of time? I mean look at those two notes in Ride the Lightning in the last verse or somewhere around there. Those two notes are so incredibly close, but they made it. Can we have some clarification on the limits of the speed limits?
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited October 2009
    Jair Crawford;3130156 said:
    There are a variety of ways to do that. However:
    trg007;3126198 said:
    You have to follow the rules laid out in the authoring documentation as far as difficulty scaling and keeping the song playable on the stock kit, which has one pedal.
    I do not know the actual limits that Magma looks for, but I'm sure it looks at both the speed of the notes and the duration of time for which they appear. Quick heel-toe stuff is fine, as we've seen in many HMX charts.
    edited October 2009
    Vedicardi;3131684 said:
    well how short of a span of time? I mean look at those two notes in Ride the Lightning in the last verse or somewhere around there. Those two notes are so incredibly close, but they made it. Can we have some clarification on the limits of the speed limits?
    I wouldn't really worry about that. Just author the song like you normally would for 1 pedal, and if there are too many kick notes, Magma will let you know when you go to compile it.
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited October 2009
    I think there was a photo posted of some form of automatic conversion, when a heavy metal song was charted with all the kicks and Magma automatically redid the kicks.
    (Either that or they decided to change the chart)
    edited October 2009
    SonicRocker15X;3135114 said:
    I think there was a photo posted of some form of automatic conversion, when a heavy metal song was charted with all the kicks and Magma automatically redid the kicks.
    (Either that or they decided to change the chart)
    Magma didn't do that, Magma gave a compiling error.

The author halved the number of kicks for the 2nd picture.