Importing Lyrics

matrix_loaded02matrix_loaded02 Unsigned
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
When importing lyrics (by selecting the vocal midi notes and pressing Shift + L, and then selecting the lyrics txt file from the file dialog), absolutely nothing happens. Reaper doesn't even become "[modified]". Also, I thought this would be a good time to ask if line breaks are OK in the text files or, better yet, if someone could upload an example file.

Comments

• BIGFISHBIGFISH Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    I have noticed this as well. All I get when i try is an audible "ding". Usually that means nothing happened. The same happens on other commands, such as the one to use for tempo mapping, which i still don't fully understand how to do. :o Either the full set of RB specific commands has not been downloaded yet, or somehow i missed something. Maybe there is an option somewhere that needs to be activated?

Like the preview window or the RB specific colors for the midi gems had to be activated.

Anyone have any answers?
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Most of the RBN-specific macros are not out yet. They're still working on that. You can still adjust the tempo map manually.

Click on View -> Show Master Track
    On the master track, click on the Envelope button (in between the [io] and [fx] buttons)
    In the Envelope pop-up, make sure that the boxes for Tempo Map and Visible are checkmarked.
    If you see a blue line running below the master track (reference pic near bottom of page, where this is all explained again), congrats! You can now click on any point on that blue line and move that point up and down to adjust the tempo.

Lyrics-importing, I have no idea. Double-check your Preferences, though, to make sure the checkbox for "Make RBN-easy changes" (or something like that, I think it's in the VSTI section) is marked. That may help.
  • matrix_loaded02matrix_loaded02 Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Well, I decided to just do it manually, and it was working fine until just now. Every single note after a certain point just throws the error: (PART VOCALS): Missing vocal note at 29:4:120 for lyric 'trayed#'
    (replace 'trayed#' with every lyric from there on).

What's weird is that note is actually at 29.3.50 according to Reaper. In fact Magma is giving different numbers for all of them.
  • TheOzoneTheOzone Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Zoom in and make sure the events with the lyrics are lined exactly with the left edge of each note.
  • matrix_loaded02matrix_loaded02 Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    I ended up just deleting them all and starting over from where they were working. It's working fine now.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited October 2009
    matrix_loaded02;3130418 said:
    When importing lyrics (by selecting the vocal midi notes and pressing Shift + L, and then selecting the lyrics txt file from the file dialog), absolutely nothing happens. Reaper doesn't even become "[modified]". Also, I thought this would be a good time to ask if line breaks are OK in the text files or, better yet, if someone could upload an example file.
    I didn't have any problems with this. Line breaks are fine, and of course you need to include the dashes in multi-syllable words and the plus signs for any slides.

Also, I imported the lyrics before I added any text events (like [play] and [idle]). Not sure if it makes a difference whether you do it before or after.
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Have any Mac Reaper users been able to do lyric import yet? Shift-L does nothing for me (I find many of the Mac shortcuts are broken--or is it me??), and if I look in the action menu I see nothing about lyric import.

:

OK I found out why I couldn't see it. Maybe this will help someone else. The action menu changes depending on where you are in Reaper. In my case, I was in the inline midi editor, selected my notes, and went to the action menu. That does not work :)

I had to view the midi notes in the built-in editor, then go to its header area (the blank space next to the Channel, View, and Color popups), right click there, and go to THAT action menu. I had to then go to the action window to find the Import lyrics action. Whew!
  • SwordofWhedonSwordofWhedon Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    I did this and don't see my lyrics anywhere. Am I just missing them?

I wish people had spent less time making videos on how to do guitar tracks and more time on vocals. Specifically the text formattting. It's extremely confusing. I see the template stuff in the text event tracks, but none of my lyrics

I would kill for a simple GUI interface that lets me drag lyrics around like I do subtitles in premiere. So much easier.
    edited October 2009
    SwordofWhedon;3165520 said:
    I did this and don't see my lyrics anywhere. Am I just missing them?

I wish people had spent less time making videos on how to do guitar tracks and more time on vocals. Specifically the text formattting. It's extremely confusing.

I would kill for a simple GUI interface that lets me drag lyrics around like I do subtitles in premiere. So much easier.
    OK, do you have the events pane viewable at the bottom of your MIDI editor? It should look like this: http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3028/lyricssd.jpg

I'm also assuming you had all your vocal notes (excluding phrase/OD markers) selected when you did the import?
    edited October 2009
    Yup. The default text events are visible.

I highlighted the first verse, had my formatted text in its own text file. Hit import and nuttin
    edited October 2009
    Interesting. Let's try to narrow it down more:

1. Is the first verse the only part you have authored so far? And if so, was only the first verse in your text file?
    2. Are there any non-standard characters in your text file?
    3. PC or Mac? I don't use a Mac but I heard that there's some sort of option you have to select to make sure it's saving as a plain text file. If you're on a PC, Notepad works perfectly.

EDIT - not sure if this matters, but do you have the "RBN Friendly MIDI settings" checked in your Reaper preferences?
    EDIT2 - I always put a line break for each new phrase in my text file and have never had problems importing. Try putting each phrase on its own line.
    edited October 2009
    1- I have done the first 2 minutes of the song. Only the first verse was highlighted or in the text file. Phrase and OD markers are in place and lined up properly
    2- All characters are standard
    3- PC, lyrics done in notepad
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited October 2009
    SwordofWhedon;3165520 said:

So would we. Are you a software developer? Please start working now. :-)
    edited October 2009
    All that mad viacom cash can't buy you a custom tool huh? :) Stupid beancounters :) Maybe since you have people writing Reaper plug-ins you can do one for premiere :)

Looking at how you guys did it, the pedigree on the software is obvious. A bunch of musician/programmers took something that made sense to them and worked reliably with the least fuss possible to get the desired information into the game. I know a custom GUI program could easily run $3-500,000 to develop, money perhaps better spent on song licensing :)

Do you guys do it by hand, or are there plugins that will say, translate drums and guitars plugged into USB into note charts and stuff? ,That's the kind of community developed plugin I have hope for.
    edited October 2009
    So were you able to get the lyrics imported successfully? I'm interested to hear the outcome, since I want to know if either of those last two things I added to my post actually have an effect or not. :)
    edited October 2009
    Nope, it's still not working. I'm selecting the notes by clicking and dragging, Hitting Actions/Import lyrics from text and nothing

Attached screenshot in case I'm selecting wrong, little dots at the top of the screen between notes and in the main reaper window the section is highlighted
    1217 x 566 - 81K
    reaper.jpg 81.5K
    edited October 2009
    I think we found the problem, then. To select the notes means to right-click and hold/drag. The notes will change colors slightly to indicate that they're "selected". Make sure to zoom out enough so you can see all the notes you want to select on one screen.

EDIT - meaning where the actual notes are, not up above by the measure numbers.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited October 2009
    SwordofWhedon;3166185 said:
    Do you guys do it by hand, or are there plugins that will say, translate drums and guitars plugged into USB into note charts and stuff? ,That's the kind of community developed plugin I have hope for.
    We've actually heard in the beta forums that a plugin of that sort is in the works, one that will let us create charts by using our RB drums/guitars plugged into the PC.
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    HMXMister_Game;3165880 said:
    I'm a software developer that lives only 4 miles up Mass Ave from HMX offices, in fact. I'll see what I can do for you.

Let's do lunch. ;)

- m
    edited October 2009
    Bingo :) Now I just have to figure out what I'm doing wrong that's making them come in at the wrong places :)
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    davidshek;3166424 said:
    We've actually heard in the beta forums that a plugin of that sort is in the works, one that will let us create charts by using our RB drums/guitars plugged into the PC.
    I will be curious to see if this works out.

I tried something similar by hooking qwerty keyboard keys to midi notes and recording a midi track as the song played back, but I found it was too messy and it was just as fast to do it manually and then copy and paste repeating sections.
    edited October 2009
    Separated all your multi-syllable words into individual syllables with dashes?

Added + signs for slides?
    edited October 2009
    Yup

Doesn't matter, making adjustments doesn't take that long. I've run a lot of subtitles in my time so I'm pretty fast at that :) It's easier to know you're right if we had something similar to the guitar track window, so since I can't sync by eye it's just trial and error to make sure things are broken up right
    edited October 2009
    If I notice a discrepancy after importing, I just Undo, tweak the text file, then re-import. Interestingly, I was doing this song with an insane amount of lyrics and slides (one word had like 10 plus signs, lol) and somehow got it correct on the first import. :)
    edited October 2009
    I've got 6 plus signs on one word :) AAAAHHHHuuuhhhAHHHHHuuuhhhhAHHHHuhhhAHHHH
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited October 2009
    SwordofWhedon;3166185 said:
    All that mad viacom cash can't buy you a custom tool huh? :) Stupid beancounters :) Maybe since you have people writing Reaper plug-ins you can do one for premiere :)
    Well, we worked directly with Cockos to make the Reaper plugin, and they were freaking awesome to work with. Somehow I think we wouldn't get the same response if we went to Adobe.
    Looking at how you guys did it, the pedigree on the software is obvious. A bunch of musician/programmers took something that made sense to them and worked reliably with the least fuss possible to get the desired information into the game.
    Yes. that.

Pretty much by hand. We do have some extra plugins that we are working on. I'm very interested to see what the community will cook up.
    edited October 2009
    Well, we worked directly with Cockos to make the Reaper plugin, and they were freaking awesome to work with. Somehow I think we wouldn't get the same response if we went to Adobe.
    Quite true, but Premiere plugins have open dev kits :) Any easy way (in theory from a non-programmer) to handle it would be simply to transpose those premiere events into exporting as MIDI with the text events (I see event, I throw down all the text on line one. Second event, line two and so on). I don't even know if it's possible mind you :)

I seriously do want to thank everyone working hard at making this a reality, I promise all my complaining has love attached :)