Sample song?

SwordofWhedonSwordofWhedon Opening Act
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
I realize there are copyright issues involved and people don't like giving out their masters. Is there any way we can see maybe just the reaper file on a song already in the game? This would be a great reference for how various things translate to real life gameplay.

Comments

• xxRaenxxRaen Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    It would definitely be nice if Harmonix releases an official sample song of sorts to help people know what a finished file looks like, for reference. Is it absolutely essential to have? No. Would it be nice? Fo' sho.
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    I was just thinking of this, too! I'd be cool to see how official HMX charts in Reaper look, and then playing the song on the system watching the commands transcribe into the game. It shouldn't be that hard to allow, if it's a read-only file of a HMX band song.
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    I had almost posted this request myself but I thought for sure someone else must have asked for such a thing much earlier.

The wiki has a lot of great info but is hard to parse in places. A sample song using things correctly would eliminate every charting howto question I have or could imagine.
  • edited October 2009
    This is an interesting idea. I'll look into it and get back to you all.
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited October 2009
    We have a sample song, and will have if for ya'll in the near future. If we get it done prior to the public beta we'll figure out a way to distribute it to you.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited October 2009
    HMXMister_Game;3135192 said:
    We have a sample song, and will have if for ya'll in the near future. If we get it done prior to the public beta we'll figure out a way to distribute it to you.
    what does dave grohl play on it? :p
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited October 2009
    afterstasis;3135209 said:
    what does dave grohl play on it? :p
    He plays vox/guitar/drums/bass/harmonica/flute/trombone/beatboxing on it.

The triangle is played by HMXsean.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited October 2009
    SonicRocker15X;3135238 said:

full album DLC please.
    edited October 2009
    SonicRocker15X;3135238 said:
    He plays vox/guitar/drums/bass/harmonica/flute/trombone/beatboxing on it.

I thought it was the other way around, and Jack White sat in a corner popping his bubble gum loudly.

Awesome to hear there's already a song in the works, Big G! I'm guessing it's custom-made specifically for RBN? Do the lyrics tell you when things happen as they happen? I think that would be the perfect sample song. :D
  • xxRaenxxRaen Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Awesome, I'm glad they have a sample song for us. It'll help alot!
  • SwordofWhedonSwordofWhedon Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Coolness. I figured someone would have thought of it already :)
  • socrstoprsocrstopr Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    SwordofWhedon;3135613 said:
    Coolness. I figured someone would have thought of it already :)
    I thought of it many times since the closed beta started, just never really asked for one :p
  • MrOwn1MrOwn1 Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    If I had this, ALL of my RBN questions would be answered.
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited October 2009
    I'm not sure if my question is the same as the OP's, but will this sample song be a completed work, in a "read only" format as someone suggested?

What I was wondering is if there was any way to get a sample song in raw format so that I could get a sense of how to author a song, as well as to geek around with the lighting and animations and stuff. I'm not a musician IRL, nor are my friends, so I don't have access to "real" music to author. But the authoring software intrigues me, and I'd love to try to create a song/video like the hundreds that I've enjoyed in RB.
    edited October 2009
    I'm not sure what "read only" means here. It's not possible to make an audio or reaper file that can't be altered, but I don't see that as being important to this idea.

If you would like some music to experiment with, try searching for "audio stems". Several artists are offering their stems (I think to the remixing community for fan-created content).
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited October 2009
    We will release the song with everything you need to make an audition-able song file: Reaper Project, stems + dryvox, and MIDI that we have exported from Reaper.

We converted the stems to low bitrate mp3s to keep the file size down, but otherwise it's the same as one we are submitting to RBN.
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for the quick responses. Can't wait for the open beta to start. :)
    edited October 2009
    ethicalpaul;3165812 said:
    I'm not sure what "read only" means here. It's not possible to make an audio or reaper file that can't be altered, but I don't see that as being important to this idea.

If you would like some music to experiment with, try searching for "audio stems". Several artists are offering their stems (I think to the remixing community for fan-created content).
    Mr. Trent Reznor is the first person who comes to mind. I've already used the song Only to practice charting.
  • SwordofWhedonSwordofWhedon Opening Act
    edited October 2009

What I was wondering is if there was any way to get a sample song in raw format so that I could get a sense of how to author a song, as well as to geek around with the lighting and animations and stuff. I'm not a musician IRL, nor are my friends, so I don't have access to "real" music to author. But the authoring software intrigues me, and I'd love to try to create a song/video like the hundreds that I've enjoyed in RB.
    Keep in mind, you'll need to pay for an XNA account for audition to even function
    edited October 2009
    I was planning to do that so that I could peer review songs. :)
    edited October 2009
    MrOwn1;3166056 said:
    Mr. Trent Reznor is the first person who comes to mind. I've already used the song Only to practice charting.
    Yea, verily. I'll have to give "Only" a listen to see how good it is for chart-training. I don't know NIN, so I just randomly grabbed a song ("Meet You Master," which I highly recommend NOT using for practice).
    edited October 2009
    HMXMister_Game;3165876 said:
    We converted the stems to low bitrate mp3s to keep the file size down, but otherwise it's the same as one we are submitting to RBN.
    So the MP3 stems are just for seeing/hearing how the various components looked/sounded individually in Reaper? And not for remixing and creating a new MIDI project to author? Because doesn't creating a MIDI project to author in Magma require that MIDI stems be imported into Reaper?

Or, if wav. files are acceptable, then why won't Reaper let me create a MIDI project? :confused:
    edited October 2009
    Reaper is a digital audio workstation that supports audio tracks as well as MIDI tracks (within a single project), so your term "MIDI Project" is a bit of a misnomer.

With that in mind, you might want to rephrase some of your questions. I had trouble understanding them (but my message comprehension is not always spot-on :)
    edited October 2009
    If I open a RBN template in Reaper, and I import wav. files to mix and edit, when I select "Export project MIDI..." from the File menu (so that I can author it in Magma), I get a "MIDI export failed" error message. Is that because I am using wav. files?
    edited October 2009
    OK good question! :)

No, the WAV files aren't hurting your ability to output the midi. When we chart the songs, we expect to have a bunch of WAV files in the audio tracks, and then we use Reaper to create the MIDI tracks that contain the game information (the gems, the various game cues, etc).

Also note that you author in Reaper (not Magma). You then export all the parts so that Magma can compile the audio files and the midi files, etc, into a single game file that you can upload to audition mode on your xbox. Be sure to read the Authoring document like 5 times (for starters) to get familiar with all the terms and details.

Is it possible that you don't have any MIDI notes in your project? If you used the RBNTemplate (don't use the blank one), it should have come with some notes pre-populated in the MIDI tracks (PART BASS, PART GUITAR, etc).

See if you can see those tracks and any MIDI notes that might be in them. Look in the file I attached. You can see the MIDI track with some notes in it (PART BASS) and the audio bass track (Bass).
    556 x 178 - 19K
  • kenekekeneke Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    One other thing that tripped me up was having the midi files muted. They won't export if muted.
  • CharronCharron Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    DavyinaToga;3167798 said:
    Yea, verily. I'll have to give "Only" a listen to see how good it is for chart-training. I don't know NIN, so I just randomly grabbed a song ("Meet You Master," which I highly recommend NOT using for practice).
    I've been practicing with Phoenix's 1901, since they put the stems on their site before Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix was released. Dunno if they're still available, but that's proven a pretty easy first chart so far.
    edited October 2009
    DavyinaToga;3167798 said:
    It's good if you want to practice charting weird stuff to guitar and it has a good mix of free-time talky parts and singing. It does have F*** in it, so yeah.
    A few other songs, like 1,000,000, are good for practice too.
  • BrewTLGBrewTLG Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    I've been using the NIN tracks that Trent posted as well to help practice charting. I'm working on 1,000,000 right now. I definitely think I need to go delete a few notes on Easy. I play drums and what I have in there right now, I consider easy, but it's probably not THAT easy. LOL!!!!