Slide notes and sustained notes

spineraptorspineraptor Unsigned
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
Hey all, I've recently begun charting a few of my band's songs with Reaper, but I've come across questions in regards to slide notes and sustained notes.
There is a lot of acoustic picking, sliding, and strumming for each guitar part and I am wondering how exactly these should be charted.
For a few slides I've simply sustained the start note gem right until the note has completely slid into the next one, and then HOed to that new note. Is this the correct way to handle slides in Rockband? I've been trying to reference other disc and dlc songs in Rockband and Rockband 2, but I am at a loss trying to find some good examples.

I also have a question regarding rhythm guitar strumming.
Because I actually play rhythm guitar on a few of the songs, I've tried to match the up and down strokes to my actual strumming IRL. It works pretty well and feels natural when pretending to play the chart (haven't exported a song and played it on an XBox yet).
My question is how I should chart the chord formations. I have a bunch of 1-3's and 1-2's and that feels pretty natural for emulating chord formation...BUT I am not sure if I should sustain each and every note that is strummed with each chord until the next strum.
IRL it makes sense that you wouldn't take your fingers off of the fretboard when letting the chord ring out in between strums.
I already charted some non-sustained strumming as well, to emulate certain strums that happen in between chord changes (like strumming open notes and the like)

So that's my quandary with guitar charting right now.
I am sure I will come to the same questions when charting bass...as there are several slides on that as well.
I am thoroughly enjoying my time with Reaper and the charting process overall...It's pretty fun trying to transcribe how you play something with a real guitar into Rockband's gem charts.
Thanks for your time, and I hope I can get some feedback and help on this.

Comments

• socrstoprsocrstopr Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    If you haven't seen it yet, this link might help you out.

Basically you need to leave a gap between all sustains and the note that follows, size details can be found in the doc. As for slides, this is something that is pretty much up to you, and without hearing the song it's hard to give a suggestion. Those are the kinds of things that will get feedback in playtest / peer review.

As for the strumming you're talking about, I'm not sure what BPM or note length you're looking at, so it's hard to answer. If you are just strumming notes on the same string and fret (or chords, etc) at a decent pace, you normally would not author a sustain between them. If you're talking about like 1/4 notes however, there would probably be a sustain there. It all depends on how the song sounds and feels, and is again, up to you the author :) (unless of course everybody that tests it says it's wrong, then you might want to listen to them :p)

Good luck!
  • spineraptorspineraptor Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for the quick reply. I've read over all the pages of authoring, reaper help, and all that.
    I guess it is up to me and the playtest / peer reviewers.
    Sometimes it's obvious how it should look in the game, but other times it could work either way.
    I think I'll post a link to a video of the preview window and the song and ask what people think here on the forums.
    I am currently a PS3 Rockband user and I am gathering old Xbox 360 Rockband 1 instruments from friends and borrowing an XBox 360 to do the peer review, import and such.
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    socrstopr;3132441 said:
    As for the strumming you're talking about, I'm not sure what BPM or note length you're looking at, so it's hard to answer. If you are just strumming notes on the same string and fret (or chords, etc) at a decent pace, you normally would not author a sustain between them. If you're talking about like 1/4 notes however, there would probably be a sustain there. It all depends on how the song sounds and feels, and is again, up to you the author :) (unless of course everybody that tests it says it's wrong, then you might want to listen to them :p
    Sustain is dependent on the length of the note and the BPM. I would guess that quarter notes somewhere around 180BPM would leave a 'tail' of sufficient length on the chords. You do need a space between notes, so sustains generally appear slightly shorter than they sound. Also, you wouldn't want a sustain tail that was shorter than the gems, so the gems do have to be spread far enough to allow room for sustain.

I've been getting some decent-length sustains from notes worth 7/64ths (or just under a full eighth note) at 83 bpm in the preview window. That should be a good reference for now.
    It would be nice if there was some approximate length of time (i.e. 250 ms) in the docs to give a starting point, instead of everyone just saying "we'll have to see it in peer review."