EVENTS and VENUE tracks

RobbySuaveRobbySuave Rising Star
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
First, let me say that I have looked through the RBN documentation at creators.rockband.com. In the RBN Reaper template, there's an EVENTS track. I couldn't find any references to that track in the specs.

In the Camera and Lights section on creators.rockband.com, it talks about MIDI note numbers in the VENUE track. I don't see note numbers on that track, but they are in the EVENTS track. I've tried dragging out MIDI notes in the VENUE track, thinking if I have a long note for Focus on Vocalist, the camera would be focusing on the vocalist. But when I'm playing, all I get is a steady shot of the band from behind.

In short, I'm having trouble figuring out how to change the camera angles and lighting and such. And reading the specs, it's not really helping me any. Can someone help me out?

Comments

• socrstoprsocrstopr Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Events info is in here: http://creators.rockband.com/spec/Mix_and_MIDI_Setup

As for camera stuff, you need to re-read the document... You need a camera cut for the camera to change, and then you can add specifics to it, such as focus on vocalist. These just need to be, say, 16th notes, not long durations.
  • RobbySuaveRobbySuave Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    I read everything multiple times. Maybe I need screenshots or something. I don't understand what needs to go in the VENUE track and what needs to go in the EVENTS track. The information on creators.rockband.com isn't very clear.

Could someone post a few screenshots showing an example of how the VENUE and EVENTS tracks might look like when you want to change the camera angles and lighting please?
    edited October 2009
    Events is for crowd animations and music_start, music_end and end events, that's about it. Everything else goes into the venue track. Are you using the RBN template? It should have everything in the venue track laid out, from the post procs to the camera cut spec to the spotlights and sing-along commands. I don't have time to post further details at the moment, but essentially the lighting is controlled by text events in the venue track (aside form spotlights and post procs), and the camera changes are controlled by midi notes. My best suggestion is to just play around with it and get a feel for what controls what and how things work, but I understand it can be pretty daunting at first.

Good luck, perhaps I can post more tomorrow.
    edited October 2009
    Hm. Thanks. That information helps. I am using the RNB template. I just don't understand when to use MIDI notes and when to use text events to do what I want. If I had a couple screenshots, I think I'd be clear. After reading through the specs, I know what can be done; I just don't know how to do it.

I'll continue to play around with it, but if you could post a screenshot or 2 showing the EVENTS and VENUE tracks, I think that would be a big help.
  • ImaCarrotImaCarrot Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Never manually type text events, just use the pull-down list, it contains everything you need.

This image shows the Events track, notice that there are ZERO midi notes placed. The only text events used are just as socrstopr said, music start/end and crowd animation events.

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/9167/eventstracksample.jpg

This next image shows a Venue track, much more going on in this one.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/942/venuetracksample.jpg

You'll notice that the only midi notes that are longer or shorter than 1/8 are the notes that the duration dictates how long the event stays on, like spotlights. I use 1/8 for all of the notes where duration doesn't matter strictly as a matter of preference. Lighting and directed cuts are primarily what are input as text events.

Hope those help.
    edited October 2009
    Ah. That's great. Thanks. I think I'm about done with it for tonight, but tomorrow I think I'll be able to get in there and mess with that stuff.

So far, I've gotten my vocal track 99% done, the easy guitar track 99% done, and the expert drum track about 25% done. Things are going well. This is awesome.
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    How much time is allotted per shot? If I program only a few specific shots, how long will they last before the game auto-generates a new shot (ssuming there's a lot of time between specific shots)?
    edited October 2009
    DavyinaToga;3154056 said:
    How much time is allotted per shot? If I program only a few specific shots, how long will they last before the game auto-generates a new shot (ssuming there's a lot of time between specific shots)?
    For regular camera cuts, there's no time limit, but if you leave it for too long (talkin minutes long here) the characters will start to drift out of place and face the wrong way, etc. It's funny to see your vocalist inside a crash cymbal, but not really game quality :p

The directed cuts are tricky, and you need to just experiment with each one when you use it to make sure you don't get it cutting to or from too soon, as each one is different. That's really all I can advise and is how I have been handling them so far.