A couple questions

skk8boarder14skk8boarder14 Unsigned
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
Well I'm thinking about doing this for my band and Ive spent the last half hour researching it but i still have a couple questions.

1. I can get XNA for free because I'm a student, so that means the only money I need to put in this is the $60 for REAPER, right?

2. Since I'm putting money in this, is there really that big of a chance that my band will be put into the game? I don't want to put money in this if in the end they just reject my song.

3. As far as creating the song charts and everything, is it that hard? Ha, I don't want to put money in this if in the end I have no idea what im doing haha.

thanks.

for those who are woundering my bands site is www.myspace.com/theambitofreach The song we would use would prolly be the one thats up, prolly a better mix of it though. We just released the site a few days ago so friend us please, maybe tell us what you think :] Thank you!

Comments

• jtobiskajtobiska Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    The tools for charting the songs for RBN are freely available (including a 30-day trial of Reaper), so you could download them and try out the process over those 30 days to see how it goes before you spend anything.
  • skk8boarder14skk8boarder14 Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    so, if I finish everything with the song within the 30 days, i don't even need to buy it? Unless I want to upload others in the future of coarse.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited October 2009
    skk8boarder14;3149712 said:
    2. Since I'm putting money in this, is there really that big of a chance that my band will be put into the game? I don't want to put money in this if in the end they just reject my song.
    The beauty of RBN is that anyone can get in on it! As long as you have masters with the instruments on separate tracks, it's your own original song (not a cover), and there are no inappropriate lyrics (or, you edit them out) your song would not be "rejected".

If there are errors in your charting (or things that go against the guidelines laid out by HMX) you might have to go back and correct them and upload a new version for review, but your song wouldn't be outright rejected just because someone doesn't like the song itself.
  • BillyBlaze314BillyBlaze314 Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    The student XNA membership does not include the ability to submit songs for peer review (which leads to it going into the RBN store for people to buy). But you could use that to make sure your authoring works in the game.
    edited October 2009
    niiiiice. Thats kind of what I was woundering, like if they actually judged the song. But I'm sure it prolly difficult to create the chart and everything? I will need my guitarist to figure out the guitar charts because I will have no idea. How long of a process is it about?
  • DanB91DanB91 Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    skk8boarder14;3149832 said:
    niiiiice. Thats kind of what I was woundering, like if they actually judged the song. But I'm sure it prolly difficult to create the chart and everything? I will need my guitarist to figure out the guitar charts because I will have no idea. How long of a process is it about?
    depends how simple the song is. if there are multiple tempo changes and the song isnt very repetitive it might take a while.

it took me about 45 min to chart a minute and a simple bass part that was in 4/4 time and the song was at a constant 120bpm. And the bass was created on garageband so all the notes were there for me to read. This was my first time charting though. You'll get faster the more you chart
    edited October 2009
    ugh ok. Well the song I wasplanning on doing doesnt change tempos much I dont think. I know somone of our songs change like 10 times though haha. The only parts that I will be able to chart are prolly vox and drums, I guess my guitarist will have to do the rest. ha, I have a feeling that this is going to be a real b****. Thanks for all your answers!
    edited October 2009
    It's more time-consuming than it is difficult. Reaper is very easy to use with the RB plugins. The difficulty is not so much in actually using the program as it is deciding how to chart each part, particularly guitar and bass where there are no hard and fast rules as to what color to use for each note. Creating the Hard, Medium and Easy charts will require a lot of decision-making as well, since you're more limited in how many notes you can include on those difficulties.
    edited October 2009
    are they companies who will chart your songs for you? and how much do they tipically charge?
  • socrstoprsocrstopr Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    skk8boarder14;3149901 said:
    are they companies who will chart your songs for you? and how much do they tipically charge?
    Hope you have time to read.
    edited October 2009
    There certainly are (I actually work for one of them :)). List of authoring companies with websites to contact them can be found here. There will typically be a song submission form on the authors' website to send them a sample of your song and they will get back to you if they decide to take on your song.
    edited October 2009
    ha, that sounds more like what I should do. Thanks alot man. Hopefully someone will take the song though.
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    skk8boarder14;3149977 said:
    Hopefully someone will take the song though.
    That doesn't sound like the attitude of a Rock Band star... :rolleyes:

There's also a list of independent RBN authors floating around in this forum that socrstopr and trg007 neglected to mention. It may be worth shopping around that list, too.
    edited October 2009
    DavyinaToga;3154133 said:
    There's also a list of independent RBN authors floating around in this forum that socrstopr and trg007 neglected to mention. It may be worth shopping around that list, too.
    That can be found here. No need to be negative. We didn't "neglect" anyone. He asked for companies, he got a list of companies. :)
    edited October 2009
    DavyinaToga;3154133 said:
    That doesn't sound like the attitude of a Rock Band star... :rolleyes:

ha well its kind of a ****ty recording but i guess there are worse that will be on it. We are a new band and I just hope people will like our music.
    edited October 2009
    trg007;3154241 said:
    That can be found here. No need to be negative. We didn't "neglect" anyone. He asked for companies, he got a list of companies. :)
    I feel compelled to respond using only a few smilies. :)
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    From the point of view of a disinterested observer, I didn't read any negativity into DavyinaToga's post. It seemed strictly factual, not judgmental. Peace all :)
    edited October 2009
    ethicalpaul;3157328 said:
    From the point of view of a disinterested observer, I didn't read any negativity into DavyinaToga's post. It seemed strictly factual, not judgmental. Peace all :)
    Well, he sorta got on my bad side with a couple snarky posts a while back, so that's why I assumed the worst.
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Ahh, well as a convicted over-snarker myself, maybe I have a built-up immunity :)
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I'm better, for now. Just had to get past that time of the month. You know, bills...