Authoring Easy guitar - preserving motion

Ten0101Ten0101 Unsigned
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
I am working on the different difficulties for the bass guitar tracks for one of our songs, and have hit a snag. The guidelines say that motion must be preserved, but then talks about changing one of the notes in a verse so that motion is preserved into the chorus; doesn't this mean motion is not being preserved within that verse?

Anyway, here is what my section looks like in medium:

Intro: G G G G
Verse: R Y R G R Y B B

Now, obviously I have to squeeze this into 3 notes for easy, but I'm unable to preserve motion in doing so. The R for the start of the verse has to be higher than the G from the intro, and everything in the verse is one note away from each other based on pitch.

I could change the last Y in the verse to a G (and the B's to Y's, of course) which would preserve motion between the G and the Y, but would mean I was going from a R to a G while the music went up in pitch!

Any suggestions?

Comments

• TheyAreNextTheyAreNext Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Hmm... I don't actually have any of the programs so I don't understand how these things work but my best suggestion would be this, _ being a gap

Intro: G _ G _
    Verse: R _ R G R _ Y Y
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited October 2009
    From our docs (http://creators.rockband.com/spec/Guitar_and_Bass_Authoring)

"Important Note:
    Even though there are only 3 buttons to work with in Easy, motion must be preserved. This is often the most difficult when moving from section to section. An example of this is if the verse has a repeating pattern of Yellow-Red-Green, and the Chorus has a repeating pattern of Green-Yellow-Red, but the last note of the verse, and first note of the chorus are different. When this occurs, we can't leave two Green gems next to each other representing different notes. We would change the last note of the verse from Green to Yellow, so that motion is preserved."

Hope this helps.
  • socrstoprsocrstopr Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Ten0101;3151005 said:
    I could change the last Y in the verse to a G (and the B's to Y's, of course) which would preserve motion between the G and the Y, but would mean I was going from a R to a G while the music went up in pitch!

Any suggestions?
    This is perfectly acceptable! When they say 'preserve motion' it means exactly that and nothing more, motion to a *different* colored gem. For the lower difficulties it would be impossible to go up when pitch goes up and down when pitch goes down at all times, so we make sacrifices. At least this has been my understanding, and I have not received negative feedback on my easy charts yet. It's like a very blunt way of 'wrapping' notes as is done on expert, if that makes sense.
  • Ten0101Ten0101 Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    OK, cool, thanks! I assumed to 'preserve motion' meant the direction had to match the pitch, but I guess it makes sense since it's basically impossible to always do that when restricted to 3 gems :)