Entire Dream Theater catalog a possibility!

Comments

• BuRn7 CaK3BuRn7 CaK3 Banned
    edited October 2009
    WingsOfSteel;3154365 said:
    We can have 10+ minute songs in Rock Band, but not through the RBN.
    Oh. Okay. Thanks!
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited October 2009
    Der_Lex;3153849 said:
    As much as I dislike the last couple of albums, this would be epic if it happens.
    Agreed 100% of course I am not sure about Dominici songs they may have to use Live versions for When Dream And Day Unite
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    wrldindstries302;3155278 said:
    This could be true if Dream Theater was a well known band.
    Precisely. Dream Theater is not much more well-known than other bands we've seen on RBN. Among people who like their kind of music, they may be well-known, but they remain relatively anonymous to the public at large.

Still, if requests and reaction from the forums are any indication, something like this could definitely drive some sales and interest in RBN.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited October 2009
    Ultrace;3155664 said:
    Precisely. Dream Theater is not much more well-known than other bands we've seen on RBN.
    And the Exaggeration of the Month award goes to...
  • SwivleSwivle Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    davidshek;3155764 said:
    And the Exaggeration of the Month award goes to...
    Honestly.

Dream Theater is one of those 'just under the surface' bands, as I like to say. Anyone whose bother to look even an inch past what they are told to like by the media has likely heard of Dream Theater. Those people also likely play Rock Band. Put two and two together.
  • MighedMighed Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Yyyyyyyeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If this is not true i am giong to be so mad, but thanks for the update

Im still trying to get in contact with alex lifeson of rush for the entire rush catalog, but it turns out that it would take me two hours to bike to his new house, and I dont have a car to drive the 15 minutes away from me, and i do not know if he will even be there
  • kurathkurath Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Although I wasn't honestly expecting (and still not really) the full catalog, I did see this as conceivably being something that DT would get into - but hearing about it as more than speculation is great. Would gladly take most anything I could get, and while the 10 minute limit is a hindrance here, there's still plenty of material to be had.
  • Shorty11857Shorty11857 Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Last album reached number 6 in the US and was 1 in Europe...yup no one knows these guys
  • edited October 2009
    As for those who say DT is not a well-known band, their last two albums made it to the #19 and #6 spots in the Billboard Album top 200, and their chart positions in mainland Europe (they never really caught on in the UK, for some reason), Japan and Mexico have been even higher. Think of them what you will, but they're not an small, unknown band by any means, especially not outside of the US.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited October 2009
    Ultrace;3155664 said:
    Precisely. Dream Theater is not much more well-known than other bands we've seen on RBN. Among people who like their kind of music, they may be well-known, but they remain relatively anonymous to the public at large.

Still, if requests and reaction from the forums are any indication, something like this could definitely drive some sales and interest in RBN.
    Yeah, they've sold 8 million albums, and all of their albums but one have made it into the top 200 album charts in the US except their first one, including their recent #6 album, not to mention the appearances they made in Rock Band and GHWT... but you're right, no one knows who they are.
  • DeltaSigMcGeheeDeltaSigMcGehee Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    The full DT catalogue would be EPIC
    edited October 2009
    The guys on Scorehero were talking about the apparent ten minute limit...they linked an article that mentioned the limit as twenty minutes. EDIT: Ignore that, they're wrong.

Also, in the developer quotes thread HMXEnosity said about any time limit: "We are committed to giving artists the same tools that Harmonix uses when authoring music. I want to make it clear that RBN Store songs (if authored to the fullest) will be of the same caliber of songs in the RB Music Store. More details to come later."

That to me indicates that a big name artist like DT would get the same treatment on the RBN store as in the regular store.

Here's the SH topic.
    edited October 2009
    Swivle;3156621 said:
    The guys on Scorehero were talking about the apparent ten minute limit...they linked an article that mentioned the limit as twenty minutes.
    The Wired link that you're referring to is wrong. It's 30 seconds to 10 minutes.
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited October 2009
    Swivle;3156621 said:
    The guys on Scorehero were talking about the apparent ten minute limit...they linked an article that mentioned the limit as twenty minutes.
    HMXEnosity already said that the limit was 10 minutes...

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157183
  • SnitskySnitsky Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Dream Theaters whole catalog minus all songs over 10 minutes long is actually like only 1/3rd of Dream Theaters catalog though lol
    edited October 2009
    Snitsky;3156703 said:
    Dream Theaters whole catalog minus all songs over 10 minutes long is actually like only 1/3rd of Dream Theaters catalog though lol
    If you go to Page 4 there's a post there that details everything that would be taken out.

By my count there are 24 songs over 10 minutes~ and 90 total tracks we don't have (splitting apart SDOIT)

So actually only slightly less than one third of their songs would not work (we would get a bit over 2/3 of their catalog).
  • J-Roc-DrumzJ-Roc-Drumz Rising Star
    edited October 2009
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    My best friend would go nuts if they release all of Dream Theater's stuff (10+ minute stuff excluded).
  • AccounAccoun Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Oh great. Again people who prefer on-disc content/non-digital copies of things will be screwed...
  • MythicAXLMythicAXL Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    Sweet dancing Jesus! Yes please!
  • Shorty11857Shorty11857 Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Accoun;3157814 said:
    Oh great. Again people who prefer on-disc content/non-digital copies of things will be screwed...
    They'd still release the longer songs on disc maybe

I mean what's wrong with digital stuff for the rock band game, you still have the game on your shelf and the quality is just as high
    edited October 2009
    Accoun;3157814 said:
    ... are you kidding me? Why would you prefer on-disc content? You don't buy DLC??? (there are people who don't buy DLC?!?!?)

That's ridiculous. If that's what you're saying. I have no clue what you mean by a "non-digital copy"...
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Wired suck. I got so excited after reading 20 minutes in their article.

Still, 2 3rds of DT's catalog is better than none.

EDIT: Okay, that article came after HMXEnosity's statement. Has this been clarified yet? Has the limit changed, or did Wired make a mistake?
    edited October 2009
    Thom1234;3158340 said:
    EDIT: Okay, that article came after HMXEnosity's statement. Has this been clarified yet? Has the limit changed, or did Wired make a mistake?
    Wired made a mistake. From the FAQ in the Beta forums:
    What's the minimum and maximum length for a song?
    The minimum song length is 30 seconds. The maximum song length is 10 minutes.
  • MeatmuppetMeatmuppet Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    hopefully HMX puts all of it on the ps3
  • voodoo618voodoo618 Headliner
    edited October 2009
    I will be every Dream Theater song that comes out.
  • woodwindpizzawoodwindpizza Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    voodoo618;3160529 said:
    I will be every Dream Theater song that comes out.
    Did you mean "buy"? Because I wouldn't want to transform into some of their songs, such as Panic Attack, but I would most certainly buy DT's entire catalog. :D
  • macamaticmacamatic Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Accoun;3157814 said:
    Just for the record, DVDs are digital.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited October 2009
    i'm only buying dream theater if HMX presses analog copies.
    edited October 2009
    afterstasis;3161873 said:
    i'm only buying dream theater if HMX presses analog copies.
    Wait, these are 16-bit remixes, right? 'Cause I'll only buy them if they're the 16-bit versions.
This discussion has been closed.